Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Harrow posted:

^ From what I can tell, the most important Maguuma masteries are gliding, updraft usage, and bouncing mushrooms. After that I've been told to go for the first rank of exalted lore, then just level whichever ones you want after that.

I've got boosters coming out my nose, so that's promising.

Right. I got glider usage and just started bouncing mushrooms. I'll go after updraft and then exalted afterwards. Once that's done I'll be pushing glider to max for the nice stamina buffs amd whatever.

Hey, how can you tell if your glider stamina has refreshed? I tried jumping off shortly after landing on a rock and it was mostly empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

Right. I got glider usage and just started bouncing mushrooms. I'll go after updraft and then exalted afterwards. Once that's done I'll be pushing glider to max for the nice stamina buffs amd whatever.

Hey, how can you tell if your glider stamina has refreshed? I tried jumping off shortly after landing on a rock and it was mostly empty.

I don't know if there's any indicator. It would be nice if the glider stamina meter stayed visible until it refilled.

HEVampersand
Apr 2, 2005

Do you even own a toothbrush?
Do the central tyria and maguuma hero points through wvw count towards map completion?

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I got just enough hero points to unlock the scrapper line and the first minor and then started exploring. The new zones are really cool and scrapper is still amazing even with no traits, but it really does sap my desire to play the actual content since I have to run around with only two full lines. I guess I'll go back to pvp where I belong until they sort this poo poo out.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Which mastery unlocks the romance option for the big frog?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I gotta say, the combination of Chronomancer, the minion damage reduction change, and the danger level of the HoT zones is making Chaos a much more attractive PvE trait line for Mesmers. Specifically, Illusionary Defense is much nicer than it once was. You take 3% less damage for each illusion you have in the world, and it's much easier to keep three illusions up at all times when you're getting them back for shattering and when they don't get instantly blown up by AoEs. Pretty much always taking 9% less damage in combat is very, very nice.

I'm even tempted to take staff instead of greatsword and slap on Chaotic Dampening for easy access to Protection and good ol' Chaos Storm fun. Phantasmal Berserker has been very nice, though, now that it doesn't die unless an enemy specifically targets it, so greatsword probably still wins out.

EDIT: Other Chronomancer building talk: are other Chronomancers finding Well of Eternity useful in open-world PvE? I like being able to heal others and I like the idea of being able to time it with Continuum Split to be able to heal myself with the ending heal and then still have my heal skill available. And I can trait it to give me alacrity. The downside, of course, is that I lack the instant heal of Ether Feast and I have to stay inside the well to get healed.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 26, 2015

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I can see it now. Anet reduces the number of hero points required to fully unlock elite specialization (or something similar). The first few responses are "THANK YOU!!!!!" They are soon followed by "I already put X hours into your kitten gating mechanics and finding other players to complete these ridiculous jungle hero challenges. What do I get for already having done this?"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GI_Clutch posted:

I can see it now. Anet reduces the number of hero points required to fully unlock elite specialization (or something similar). The first few responses are "THANK YOU!!!!!" They are soon followed by "I already put X hours into your kitten gating mechanics and finding other players to complete these ridiculous jungle hero challenges. What do I get for already having done this?"

That's about as safe a bet as "humans will continue to need oxygen to survive tomorrow." The one thing you can always be sure of with MMO players is that any quality-of-life change will be immediately followed up by demands that players be rewarded for putting up with not having that quality-of-life change because it makes them better than all players who will come after.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SlothBear posted:

Which mastery unlocks the romance option for the big frog?

Nuhoch Courtship, which is near the end of that mastery line, due to requiring various things such as understanding their language and pick-up lines

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I think I just hit the wall, only two and a half days in. Between the pile on of not being able to use elite specs until you're 350 points or more into them, the lack of combat feedback, and now I did my first attempt at doing some minor events to break up the zerg chain grind only to be slaughtered indiscriminately on non-group events that are blatantly tailored for a group and I'm just done. I'm too anti-social to deal with my only options for playing the PvE game to be only in the company of a few friends, following the zerg, or (maybe) buying gold to deck myself out in the best gear.

nessin fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 26, 2015

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the tips on Chronomancer, but now I'm even more confused. Both archetypes of the build work so well. I wish you could change on the fly, with GS/S+(shield? focus?) for the AoE type situations with lots of shatters and the S+S/P for when you want to put up phantasms and make single targets suffer. Or at least that's what I feel it's like.

I gotta experiment with ItBurns's the whole "top options from chrono line" suggestion some more. Lots of slow and crtit chance? Plenty of options on that traitline, I'm really positively surprised.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nessin posted:

I think I just hit the wall, only two and a half days in. Between the pile on of not being able to use elite specs until you're 350 points or more into them, the lack of combat feedback, and now I did my first attempt at doing some minor events to break up the zerg chain grind only to be slaughtered indiscriminately on non-group events that are blatantly tailored for a group and I'm just done. I'm too anti-social to deal with my only options for playing the PvE game to be only in the company of a few friends, following the zerg, or (maybe) buying gold to deck myself out in the best gear.

I completely understand your feelings and I really hope Anet changes things, because they really hosed up with the casual-friendliness this xpack.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy gently caress I want these glittering weapons so bad: http://dulfy.net/2015/10/25/gw2-upcoming-gemstore-items-from-hot-patch/ (Greatsword, pistol, and shield in particular)

Guessing those'll be the next round of Black Lion Claim Ticket weapons.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I really have no issue fighting the mobs. I'm not a straight zerker build, but I manage to stay alive plently long enough to get poo poo done. That being said I have managed to get myself killed very quickly a few times while looking at chat, or by getting spiked down super hard. But all in all it isn't bad.

I've also not left the first zone so take that as you will.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Azazell0 posted:

Thanks for the tips on Chronomancer, but now I'm even more confused. Both archetypes of the build work so well. I wish you could change on the fly, with GS/S+(shield? focus?) for the AoE type situations with lots of shatters and the S+S/P for when you want to put up phantasms and make single targets suffer. Or at least that's what I feel it's like.

I gotta experiment with ItBurns's the whole "top options from chrono line" suggestion some more. Lots of slow and crtit chance? Plenty of options on that traitline, I'm really positively surprised.

This is why I want saved builds so bad. No idea why they still haven't implemented them.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
I finished the final story mission and jesus christ it gets buggy as hell if you die in it and hit the reset button.

Cool story though. Curious to see what comes next.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
I was kind of amazed at how quickly I was getting Hero Points. I already had the 214 from World Completion before release but it only took me about 75% of Verdant Brink and around 60% of Auric Basin (not exact Hero Point percentage numbers) to get my full Elite Spec unlock. I thought I was going to be in the final zone before getting everything but I'm only 4 story quests in and only 2/4 zones partially completed. I played a couple hours Saturday and close to all day Sunday but that's normal for me anyway.

It probably slowed me down because I was running around with John Lightning but its not as bad as I had thought before launch. I also didn't have the guides Dulfy posted so half of the time was spent getting to an impossible point due to the attunements Mastery stuff. It does suck for my alts who have 20% Central Tyria unlocked but that's what WvW is for.

All of this to say, it sucks that I couldn't use all my Chronomancer stuff on day 1 but it's really not that bad.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Holy poo poo those glittering weapons are going to make me poor.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I completely understand your feelings and I really hope Anet changes things, because they really hosed up with the casual-friendliness this xpack.

I read that as "casual friendless" and thought "yup that sums up my problem with the game right now". I unironically enjoy MMOs best solo :saddowns:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MooCowlian posted:

Holy poo poo those glittering weapons are going to make me poor.

Right? This is the first set of (probably) BLCT weapons that I want more than one of. I want the pistol, shield, and greatsword in that order, and I wouldn't mind having the sword, either. They're just so wonderfully Mesmer-y. The Lyssa outfit looks pretty nice, too--the mask changing depending on the race of the wearer is a nice touch.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I read that as "casual friendless" and thought "yup that sums up my problem with the game right now". I unironically enjoy MMOs best solo :saddowns:

It's a running meme, but massive multiplayer doesn't mean playing with other people to accomplish a group goal. It just means a lot of people playing at once across a unified world. The entire experience of GW2 before Orr was solo sans dungeons and world bosses, and it was that way from the beginning.

Part of the little things piling up me that I didn't mention in my post are also a result of this. For example, the Verdant daytime event chain to rebuild the Pact has you vote for a leader after rescuing the three crew members. I don't know the final number, but since I started counting all 11 times I've seen that chain (which you can tell who got voted based on the event chain) it's ALWAYS been Master At Arms. And there is no way to change that unless you can convince dozens of other people to vote for someone else, something I've been unsuccessful at. Also of the few times I've played the Basin not once have I've seen the players beat the meta event, but my sample size is much smaller on that one. And sure I could ask for help (I'm not in the Goon Guild because I didn't want to eat up a slot for someone more dedicated that I am) in doing some things, like event chains or Hero challenges, but unless people are already interested in doing that I'm just asking people to stop whatever they're doing which is probably far more fun for them, especially if they've already unlocked the hero point or seen the event chain previously.

And there is the whole fact that the only way to get masteries to open up new content in the HoT zones is through following the zerg. Sure doing all the adventures will net you one or two mastery levels, and you've got the personal story which will probably be worth another couple by the end (although you have to unlock some masteries before even doing those) but even if you can complete the "non-group" events by yourself, they are extremely few and far between. 75%, if not more, of the events, the only method of getting consistent experience short of just killing enemies without an event, are impossible to do even with two or three people.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm thinking about hopping in after a long hiatus. I just saw the news about the Action Camera. I used to use a third-party program to achieve the same thing. What's the verdict on this new built-in version?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Shab posted:

I'm thinking about hopping in after a long hiatus. I just saw the news about the Action Camera. I used to use a third-party program to achieve the same thing. What's the verdict on this new built-in version?

Its great. Works way better than I ever thought it would. Bind it to middle mouse button or something easy to toggle on/off and its perfect.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Shab posted:

It's pretty great and makes the game 100% less annoying on your hands. It can be kind of tricky if you use a class with a ton of manual ground target skills though (like Grenade Engineer) but there are some lock-on hotkeys that help.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's pretty great and makes the game 100% less annoying on your hands. It can be kind of tricky if you use a class with a ton of manual ground target skills though (like Grenade Engineer) but there are some lock-on hotkeys that help.

I really want to make it work with Chronomancer. The only problem I have with it is that it's tough to target the healing well under myself without swinging the camera wildly. But it's better than I expected on that front, especially when coupled with some of the other ground-targeting features (cast on button release, lock targeting to the max range).

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There's no way to bind the "aoes follow target" option to a key, right? It's great unless you're fighting a big group of enemies or until you want to drop a helpful aoe at your feet or on a friend.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hefty posted:

There's no way to bind the "aoes follow target" option to a key, right? It's great unless you're fighting a big group of enemies or until you want to drop a helpful aoe at your feet or on a friend.

How cool would it be if we could modify AoE targeting on a skill-by-skill basis? Like, for Chronomancer wells, I'd make Well of Calamity snap to my target usually, but Well of Eternity or Precognition snap to my own feet.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Harrow posted:

I really want to make it work with Chronomancer. The only problem I have with it is that it's tough to target the healing well under myself without swinging the camera wildly. But it's better than I expected on that front, especially when coupled with some of the other ground-targeting features (cast on button release, lock targeting to the max range).

Yeah I feel like they need a 'cast on yourself' modifier key or some other way of helping you target stuff very close to you without having to wobble the camera up and down.

Hefty posted:

There is actually, in the keybinds there's a hotkey to hold-toggle the 'lock AOE on target' on/off.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Shab posted:

If you were used to using RMB for some bind with ICM (or whatever 3rd party program you were using, but it was probably ICM), this version can't do that. For me, at least, this is proving to be a real pain and I'm having a hell of a time unlearning the muscle memory. I'm almost to the point where I'm just ready to go back to ICM. For all of its janky quirks with menus and such, at least it worked smoothly in combat and didn't keep getting me killed.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I feel like they need a 'cast on yourself' modifier key or some other way of helping you target stuff very close to you without having to wobble the camera up and down.

There is actually, in the keybinds there's a hotkey to hold-toggle the 'lock AOE on target' on/off.

Oh, nice! A modifier key would be even better, but being able to toggle it on the fly is a p good start.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You are blessed.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

How fast is levelling up in this game? Currently have a level 10 about to start personal story, just wondering how much poopsocking I'll need to put in to reach 70/80/whatever.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Action camera is terrific simply for jumping puzzles, but I don't think I'm going to use it by default. No auto-attack is terrible, it's way too easy to interrupt yourself. Also it's funny that you can use it to target heals on allies when they didn't want that to be a thing.

Roc
Nov 8, 2010

khy posted:

How fast is levelling up in this game? Currently have a level 10 about to start personal story, just wondering how much poopsocking I'll need to put in to reach 70/80/whatever.

From 1-20 you gain levels pretty quick.

From 21-80 while the numbers may be bigger the XP gain rate is the same. You can probably get to level 80 in a week of casual play.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

khy posted:

Experience scales per level so doing the same thing, regardless of where, rewards roughly the same percentage of experience. The first few levels are an exception given how quickly you earn story experience which is higher (percentage wise) than anything else, but basically how long it takes you to level from 10 to 11 is how long it will take you to level from 79 to 80.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

kater posted:

Action camera is terrific simply for jumping puzzles, but I don't think I'm going to use it by default. No auto-attack is terrible, it's way too easy to interrupt yourself. Also it's funny that you can use it to target heals on allies when they didn't want that to be a thing.

Auto attack actually works perfectly if you use your skill 1 bind. Mouse click does not start auto attack for some reason.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

ShadowMar posted:

Auto attack actually works perfectly if you use your skill 1 bind. Mouse click does not start auto attack for some reason.

Oh yeah this is another thing that bugs me about it. Mouse click won't start auto attack, because I guess it's more action-y? Or something? I don't know, but it's a dumb design decision and another thing they should have just left alone.

Also it's kind of touchy about aiming, which I don't like. ICM would basically fire at whatever was closest to your crosshair, even if you weren't aiming at it. But action camera tends to be more touchy and seems like it will actually miss things in some cases (it's not very consistent) if you're too far off target. I'm fine with something like this if the whole game is designed around it, but come on. At its heart this is still a tab-target hotkey MMO. Unless you're going to rebuild the whole game around FPS style aiming, you can't just toss it in and expect it to work right.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
I sure hope I can talk to this bugged out guitar playing jerkfrog sometime soon, would be cool to actually advance the story past the part I've been stuck at for three days now, let's check the oforums and see when the fix is going in

quote:

These changes should be in tomorrow’s hotfix release (we just missed the window for today’s, unfortunately).
:monar: :buddwyerweildingquip: :monar:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Oh I didn't know the frog wasn't talking to some people

Guess your gliding wasn't stylish enough to get his attention :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

Talking guitar frog was bugged for me and relogging didn't help but taxiing to another instance did.

• Locked thread