Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Cartoon posted:

That's a blatant misrepresentation.

Cyclists in Copenhagen aren't required to wear helmets

Do not lead to:

Therefore if cycle helmets were mandatory in Copenhagen there would be many fewer cyclists

Sorry if I've misrepresented your opinion.

The opinion that you've just stated here is the exact opposite of Danish planning experts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
decriminalising weed would lead to a huge increase in bikes as a mode of transport.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
and I just realised I did the dane/dutch thing gently caress

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Solemn Sloth posted:

and I just realised I did the dane/dutch thing gently caress

It's cool, Amsterdam is also regarded as one of the world's best cities for commuter cycling and has cycling rates on par with Copenhagen IIRC.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

put bollards up at every intersection overnight check mate car havers

word. this is exactly what the dutch do. eliminates rat runs as access roads become for access only, if you want to drive anywhere you have the hit the ring roads around the towns/cities.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Jeez they still do the national anthem in assembly? I never sung along all year round.

And in any case no one could describe the national anthem as joyous, unless it's the Radiohead version.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Jeez they still do the national anthem in assembly? I never sung along all year round.

And in any case no one could describe the national anthem as joyous, unless it's the Radiohead version.

Mate if you don't sing it in joyful strains you're a fucken liar

lua
Jun 16, 2013

I think the problem could be beyond bollards

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
the richest people in Australia got that way from mining or property development, so the status quo of building cities outwards in an unbroken line of mcmansions isnt going to change or even get better.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
To me the entirety of the bike helmets thing is a cost benefit analysis.

On the issue of bike helmets you have two competing needs, the first is safety the second is participation.

If we take as read that helmets increase safety and decrease participation (though I'm sure someone will argue with both of these) we have to look at the weight of the costs and the benefits.

Head injuries are hosed, in terms of personal cost and community cost. Reducing head injuries by any appreciable amount is well worth it.
Cycling rates are low, increasing cycling rates would help with transportation, infrastructure usage, and community health.
The question is then as follows: Are we willing to make the trade of head injuries as a result of no helmets in exchange for an increasing the number of cyclists by the amount of people who do not cycle due to helmet laws.

I see the amount of people who do not cycle anywhere in our cities due to helmet laws as being very low. This may be different in copenhagen where there is infrastructure to support it but the majority of people who don't cycle don't do it not because "I hate helmets" but because of "I'm gonna loving die" or "It's really loving far". So to me the cost of head injuries is greater than the benefit of increased cyclists because I see the number of people by which cycling participation increasing as being very small.

If we had high density cities, with decentralised business districts, good bicycle infrastructure and safety such that not requiring helmets would result in a massive upswing in bicycle usage, sure, I can see the reason for not having mandatory helmets. Since we have loving none of that I don't see the loving point except to let idiots who are worried about their hair or are lazy get head injured and be a drain on the rest of us.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I see plenty of hipsters tooling around helmetless on fixies but to my somewhat disappointment they remain not dead, leading me to believe the risks of cycling/posing are somewhat overblown

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

hooman posted:

On the issue of bike helmets you have two competing needs, the first is safety the second is participation.

If we take as read that helmets increase safety and decrease participation (though I'm sure someone will argue with both of these) we have to look at the weight of the costs and the benefits.

Head injuries are hosed, in terms of personal cost and community cost. Reducing head injuries by any appreciable amount is well worth it.
Cycling rates are low, increasing cycling rates would help with transportation, infrastructure usage, and community health.
The question is then as follows: Are we willing to make the trade of head injuries as a result of no helmets in exchange for an increasing the number of cyclists by the amount of people who do not cycle due to helmet laws.

I see the amount of people who do not cycle anywhere in our cities due to helmet laws as being very low. This may be different in copenhagen where there is infrastructure to support it but the majority of people who don't cycle don't do it not because "I hate helmets" but because of "I'm gonna loving die" or "It's really loving far". So to me the cost of head injuries is greater than the benefit of increased cyclists because I see the number of people by which cycling participation increasing as being very small.

If we had high density cities, with decentralised business districts, good bicycle infrastructure and safety such that not requiring helmets would result in a massive upswing in bicycle usage, sure, I can see the reason for not having mandatory helmets. Since we have loving none of that I don't see the loving point except to let idiots who are worried about their hair or are lazy get head injured and be a drain on the rest of us.

Is there a way to meaningfully compare cycling deaths in Australia to, say, Copenhagen? I just want to know how dangerous it is to cycle in Australia but I suck at stats.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Don Dongington posted:

One of the newer buildings up there on Lord st in East Perth has a bit of that going on, so perhaps it's a sign of things to come.

On the subject of stupid town planning though, stupidest thing I've seen recently:

http://www.thevillageatwellard.com.au/wellard/media/PDFs/PVIL0212_Staging_and_Release_Plan_A3_WEB.pdf

So this is the estate I live in, right? It's won numerous awards for innovation in town planning etc. It's not the worst setup, having everything in the middle there with the train station makes it pretty convenient for non-car-havers.

Thing is, all the pink and blue bits have been zoned for apartments. Firstly I question who the gently caress would want to move 45-50 mins drive from the city to live in an apartment? I doubt they're even that cheap. I feel that it would have made a lot more sense to zone that area as office or commercial space, to create job opportunities in the local area. Right now, you can basically do everything BUT work without leaving the village area.

I feel like the future for little suburban hubs like this could be pretty bright, if people would get away from the arse-backwards idea that you can only do office work in the city, or one of the office parks NEAR the city. I think Scott Ludlam addressed this in his Perth 2.0 idea.

Holycow. You live near me.

They're doing the 5 storey apartment thing in bassendean and it looks awesome. I really wish they'd do more of it around and crunch down the urban sprawl. I live here because it's the cheapest place I could find within a set distance of my work and friends. This city is an endless hell scape of suburbs.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lua posted:

I think the problem could be beyond bollards

Let's do nothing, then? Let's keep building our cities like country towns, forever.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hooman posted:

I've read arguments that mandatory bike helmet laws can actually have a negative affect on bike safety, because although they decrease the likelihood of sustaining a significant injury in a crash, they increase the likelihood of a crash occurring in the first place because bike riders who wear helmets behave more aggressively, as do car drivers who overtake helmet-wearing cyclists. I've no idea whether that's true or not but due to the incredible complexity of the situation there's basically no way to test whether any given hypothesis is true.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm going to say it's probably because there's no idiots on the radio inciting drivers to run over cyclists in copenhagen.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Can we get a summary of all the arguments for/against helmets please

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

helmets are cool and good
- darth vader

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

whats the current situation with car vs cyclist accidents?

ie how is fault determined. similar to car v car? or is like closer to pedestrian v car?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Konomex posted:

Holycow. You live near me.

They're doing the 5 storey apartment thing in bassendean and it looks awesome. I really wish they'd do more of it around and crunch down the urban sprawl. I live here because it's the cheapest place I could find within a set distance of my work and friends. This city is an endless hell scape of suburbs.

I only live here because :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren: bought down here a few years ago because it was close to her work and her folks and is locked into a mortgage, but you know what, I like it. When the pub goes up in 2025 or whatever, we should catch a beer.

Negligent posted:

helmets are cool and good
- darth vader

And the Helmets have it.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Don Dongington posted:

On the subject of stupid town planning though, stupidest thing I've seen recently:

http://www.thevillageatwellard.com.au/wellard/media/PDFs/PVIL0212_Staging_and_Release_Plan_A3_WEB.pdf

So this is the estate I live in, right? It's won numerous awards for innovation in town planning etc. It's not the worst setup, having everything in the middle there with the train station makes it pretty convenient for non-car-havers.

Thing is, all the pink and blue bits have been zoned for apartments. Firstly I question who the gently caress would want to move 45-50 mins drive from the city to live in an apartment? I doubt they're even that cheap. I feel that it would have made a lot more sense to zone that area as office or commercial space, to create job opportunities in the local area. Right now, you can basically do everything BUT work without leaving the village area.

Every time I head over to the Woolies in Wellard, which thankfully is rare, it just feels like such a soulless place. Like, it should be good and the layout should be better than most new developments, but it just seems wrong somehow. Maybe it is the complete lack of actual office space that makes it feel so fake. And yeah, I always get a good laugh about building apartments way the gently caress down here. Like you said, who the hell wants an apartment in the middle of nowhere that isn't much cheaper than way closer to the CBD? Even Cockburn Central would be better.

We've been house sitting just up the road in Bertram for the past 18 months, and we hate it. By far the worst aspect is the soul crushing commute to the CBD. With the current housing downturn, all these suburbs down here are going to be absolutely hosed. We just put an offer on a place in Leeming, I don't care how much I lose in the coming years, anything is worth paying to get out of here.

On the subject of bike commuting in Perth, I still try to ride 1 day a week to West Perth from Bertram, and even though it takes forever, it's totally worth passing hundreds and hundreds of cars between Rowley and Berrigan, and then again from Leech to Canning. On the days when traffic is particularly bad, I'll pass easily recognisable vehicles way down near Anketell, and won't see them again until South Terrace. How people can do that 5 days/week, all year long is beyond me. Especially when the train is so much faster. Can't until I get back to the 5 day bike commute when I'm closer

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Totally, the lack of office space is ridiculous. I would totally consider sacrificing 10k a year to work down here and not have to train it and bus it to the uni and back every day. I'd consider it buying back 10 hours of my time a week, totally worth it. Also I drive in once a week so I can go straight to rehearsal from work and don't have to leave my guitar there, and if you leave before 7 it's only about 40 mins - but that's no good when you're expected to work until 4:30 when the rest of your project team goes home, plus I like to read.

I don't think the housing downturn is going to hit people down here that hard. Our mortgage is only like 390, (and the place is worth more than that atm) so it can lose a full third of it's worth and we'll still be only like 80k down - my friend with a 1.7M Mcmansion in Yokine lost 200k on his already, and if he can't sell next year he's going to be out a lot more.

Moving off Wellardchat - I've been following the news on the Dismissal over the past couple of days, and I'm wondering if anyone else finds it kinda surreal that the Libs and Kerr have basically been implicated with what essentially amounts to a literal treasonous coup, in cahoots with two foreign powers - and nobody's saying poo poo?

All of the conditions that allowed this to take place are still kinda of around - none of the laws have been changed right? ASIO are still way too friendly with the libs, the only real difference is that they don't seem to control the courts anymore (as evidenced by the frequent smackdowns delivered to Greg Hunt lately).

I feel that's got to pose some level of risk, should a slightly radical left wing Labor party ever be elected again. Gives me the heebie geebies a little.

Context:
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...023-gkhb1a.html
And a bit :tinfoil: but eh.
https://www.rt.com/op-edge/198420-australia-pm-whitlam-intelligence-usa/

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Kommando posted:

Mandatory helmet laws hurt bicycle sharing schemes as a casual user, of which many are, will not be carrying a helmet around in case they happen to use a bike share
That isn't an argument against helmet laws. it is an argument in favour of also supplying helmets, and people to guard the helmets from thieves and anti-helmet activists like Mad Katter. Not only would helmets help improve safety, but they would also create jobs!

Likewise, the whole thing with being able to lock up your bike somewhere but not the helmet is easily solved by employing someone to store the things on site.

Mad Katter posted:

At the risk of posting 5000 times on this page, I see removing mandatory helmet laws as an important incremental change to make. There's no real reason not to
Except all the head injuries.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Albo is leaving Grayndler to become Greener pastures and heading to Barton.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

Albo is leaving Grayndler to become Greener pastures and heading to Barton.

That doesn't sound right. Barton being a marginal seat with a stronger conservative feel to it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Didn't the NSW Greens recently say they were planning on hitting Grayndler hard though?

Yeah I don't see them ousting Albo, but perhaps someone with a lick of sense got involved and decided it'd be better to hand it to them, and parachute albo into a marginal seat that he's likely to win, given his star power?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Just read this on the age, it's a shiite month of mourning so a school allowed children to leave during the national anthem as they are not supposed to take part in anything joyful such as music. Some white as gently caress useless old grandmother is frothing at the mouth and senator lambie is revving up her engines too. The victorian education department appears to be standing behind the school and hopefully continues doing so.

This is actually quite funny. There is actually a religion that doesn't take part in singing any national anthems because they believe that their allegiance isn't towards any earthly country but towards their God. They have been doing this since their religion was founded.

Wait, what do you mean it isn't Islam? Wait, Jehovah's Witnesses are white, never mind.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Albo was miles ahead in the 2PP last election, but if the Libs preference the Greens ahead of Labor it suddenly becomes a marginal seat. I think the Libs would probably do that if Albo was running for PM, and it would put Labor in a pretty difficult position if their leader lost his seat to the Greens.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Oh yeah, and I think the seat redistribution favours the Greens.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

EvilElmo posted:

That doesn't sound right. Barton being a marginal seat with a stronger conservative feel to it.

I don't want to get in the way of your feelpinions but the seat redistribution combined with Labors complete no show in national politics mean that desperate people will do desperate things.

Australia First Reporting posted:

Labor's Chris Bowen, Anthony Albanese, Joel Fitzgibbon eye new seats

Three federal Labor frontbenchers are looking to switch seats before the next federal election as a product of widespread upheaval caused by the redistribution of electorates in NSW.

Shadow treasurer Chris Bowen, shadow infrastructure minister Anthony Albanese and shadow agriculture minister Joel Fitzgibbon are all eyeing neighbouring seats after a draft decision of the Australian Electoral Commission to abolish Mr Fitzgibbon's Hunter Valley seat and make significant changes to the boundaries of other electorates across the state.

Mr Bowen's western Sydney seat of McMahon has been rendered marginal and approaches have been made to Chris Hayes, who holds the neighbouring seat of Fowler, to move aside.

Mr Hayes is believed to be reluctant to shift, more so given he significantly improved Labor's hold on Fowler at the last election in the face of a national swing against the ALP.

Also, Mr Hayes was forced to shift from Werriwa to Fowler before the 2010 election to make way for Laurie Ferguson who lost his seat in the last NSW redistribution. Sources said Mr Ferguson is telling colleagues he will retire at the next election but the Left controls his seat and Mr Hayes, from the Right, would not be able to move back.

Further complicating matters is that the NSW branch of the Health Services Union is looking to reaffiliate with Labor and the Right faction. Mr Hayes' brother, Gerard, is the union's state secretary and poor treatment of his brother may jeopardise the reaffiliation and impact the Right's numbers.

ALBANESE NOW LIVES IN BARTON

Closer to the city, Mr Albanese, who holds the inner-western, Sydney seat of Grayndler, now has his home and office in the neighbouring seat of Barton after the draft redistribution.

Barton had been previously held by Labor's Robert McClelland but fell to the Liberal's Nickolas Varvaris at the 2013 election.

The redistribution has rendered it a notional Labor seat. Grayndler is still a relatively safe Labor seat as well and Mr Albanese has the numbers in the branches of both electorates to win pre-selection.

But given he now lives in Barton, he, like others, is awaiting the outcome of the AEC's final decision on the redistribution due in February. However, people are preparing to move in anticipation that the final redistribution will not change much, if at all, from the draft.

In the Hunter Valley, Mr Fitzgibbon's seat of Hunter was abolished and the name given to the nearby seat of Charlton, held by Labor's Pat Conroy. Under a deal being pushed by Mr Fitzgibbon and his Right faction, Mr Fitzgibbon would move into Mr Conroy's seat and Mr Conroy would shift to the neighbouring seat of Shortland, held by Labor's Jill Hall. Although Ms Hall has made no such announcement, sources say she is expected to retire at the next election.

Sources said Mr Conroy is resisting moving. He cancelled an overseas trip on the weekend to stay home and sort the matter out. He believes Mr Fitzgibbon should move to nearby Paterson. It is held by Liberal MP Bob Baldwin but has become marginal after the redistribution.

However, Mr Conroy, from the Left, could agree to make way for Mr Fitzgibbon and move to Shortland, but only if the Right agrees to play clean and not try to disrupt Mr Albanese moving to Barton.

While Mr Albanese has the numbers to win pre-selection in Barton and does not intend to be part of any deal, one source warned the Right could "kick up a stink" in the build-up to the election.

One MP, unimpressed with the musical chairs, said it was a bad sign for people to be bailing out of marginal seats, especially in Western Sydney, just because Malcolm Turnbull replaced Tony Abbott.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

I've read arguments that mandatory bike helmet laws can actually have a negative affect on bike safety, because although they decrease the likelihood of sustaining a significant injury in a crash, they increase the likelihood of a crash occurring in the first place because bike riders who wear helmets behave more aggressively, as do car drivers who overtake helmet-wearing cyclists. I've no idea whether that's true or not but due to the incredible complexity of the situation there's basically no way to test whether any given hypothesis is true.

There are some ways based on data analysis and ratios.

https://theconversation.com/putting-a-lid-on-the-debate-mandatory-helmet-laws-reduce-head-injuries-1979

That's one there. I'll have a look to see if I can see any of the evidence of increased non head injury crashed associated with helmets. I have see some studies about headgear in rugby which has a correlated an injury rate with wearing headgear/pads, but I don't know about bicycles.

EDIT: Actually seems like there's quite a bit https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/cyclist-safety/wearing-a-bicycle-helmet

hooman fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 26, 2015

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I think Albo would still win Grayndler in a canter.

The redistributed boundaries include 14,000 extras from the solidly Liberal parts of Drummoyne which might cause problems if they preference the Greens, but there doesn't seem to be a strong Green presence in the area.
Countervailing this is 27,000 voters from the Balmain peninsula which Grayndler is taking from Sydney. Those booths ran solidly for Plibersek last time, I don't see Albo having trouble there.

The reason Albo is considering jumping seats is because his office, residence and a chunk of his Marrickville base got put into another electorate.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Preferred PM- Shorten 17%

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Albo would also be moving because spill soon and he would hate to become leader only to lose to a green. :shrug:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Albo would also be moving because spill soon and he would hate to become leader only to lose to a green. :shrug:

Huh? Redistribution is helping Albo against the Greens because it's taking away the strongest Green area in his electorate around Newtown and giving him the red booths of Balmain/Rozelle.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Albo's moving to a more conservative electorate because he wants to properly represent his pro child rape party.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

Huh? Redistribution is helping Albo against the Greens because it's taking away the strongest Green area in his electorate around Newtown and giving him the red booths of Balmain/Rozelle.

I'm guessing he wants to absolutely guarantee his preservation when the Turdball rolls over Bill.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
yeh okay Anidav we'll go with your wild guessing over the observations of someone in the electorate backed up by the AEC results of the last two elections

:suicide:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hooman posted:

There are some ways based on data analysis and ratios.

https://theconversation.com/putting-a-lid-on-the-debate-mandatory-helmet-laws-reduce-head-injuries-1979

That's one there. I'll have a look to see if I can see any of the evidence of increased non head injury crashed associated with helmets. I have see some studies about headgear in rugby which has a correlated an injury rate with wearing headgear/pads, but I don't know about bicycles.

EDIT: Actually seems like there's quite a bit https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/cyclist-safety/wearing-a-bicycle-helmet

This is good stuff, thanks. It's kinda weird to me that this has become such a bitter partisan topic; eg poking around in the comments I found this site which seems to be about how the :tinfoil: mainstream media :tinfoil: doesn't want to tell the public that mandatory helmet laws are killing Australia.

• Locked thread