Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What circular polarisers are good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I"m a big fan of the Hoya HD Digital series of circular polarisers.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a marumi dhg super circular and it's excellent. Had a Hoya before for a different lens and it was also very good.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

We have a Tiffen. Not sure what the SA opinion is on them but it has been very nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Go for Cokin p-series. :colbert:

That way you don't have to buy a new filter every time you get a lens with a different size thread (at least until you buy a lens bigger than the filter). I like the plates because it feels easier to remove/install to me.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Private Label posted:

Anyone know of any good underwater housing that doesn't cost more than the body itself? I have a Canon D5 MIII, and ideally I'd like to go $500 or less if possible. Or is that being unreasonable to aim that low?

Canon used to make cheap dive cases for their P+S line. Other than that I don't know any. It's a low-volume high-margin business.

NautiCam makes some cool dive cases though. I want an A7Rii and a case - through-bulkhead electrical TTL and Nikonos lenses. :circlefap:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Marumi Super DHG. B+W or Heliopan-level quality for Tiffen money. Search for "Circular Polarizer Shootout" or something like that, I think it was LensTip.com.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Having a girlfriend who works at a consignment shop has its downsides. I just can't say no to something like this. My poor budget.

160 of my hard-earned bigboys down the drain :qq:

I need to clean the front element, other than that it's in perfect shape. Might even have been recently cleaned - all the slow speeds are running too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 2, 2015

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

ah forget it posted:

Speaking of Tamron, dropped my 28-75 2.8 yesterday. Was in a hurry to change lenses and it rolled off a chair.

Quoting my post from ages ago but 4 months and 2 trips to Tamron EU service centre in Germany and this lens is as good as new :toot:

First trip to get all new barrel (it looks like new lens from outside) and to replace 1 group, second trip to actually calibrate it to get rid of decentering :v:. 180€ for the trouble.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What's a reasonable color calibrator unit nowadays? My primary screen is an IPS and I would also like to calibrate my TFT laptop if possible.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

People like the xrite, but the spyders are ok too

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Marumi Super DHG. B+W or Heliopan-level quality for Tiffen money. Search for "Circular Polarizer Shootout" or something like that, I think it was LensTip.com.

Just chiming in to say I own three of these and Marumi's Variable ND in 77mm form. They're great filters and the antistatic coating on the EXUS line is great if shooting in dust or sand heavy locales, though not worth the extra cost to me.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a laptop+SLR backpack for travel. Essential items:

15.6" laptop (MBP)
full or mini sized tablet
D800/5D with 24-70 equivalent attached

Must fit under the seat on a plane.

I'm used to backpacks with a separate top compartment I can put the camera with attached lens into for quick access so that's a plus. Currently I'm using a generic Vivitar bag thats has a laptop compartment that too tight and probably not rated for 15 MBP and doesn't have space for a tablet. I use to have a case logic top loader that was OK but fell apart over lots of trips.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
The Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AW II has everything you want, including the quick access design.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KinkyJohn posted:

People like the xrite, but the spyders are ok too

What are my considerations when I'm comparing them? Any of the features seriously worth springing for? Looks like the basic Spyder Express should cover me - $130 is doable but I'd rather not bump to the $270 range unless there's a compelling reason. Maybe $200 at tops, the room lighting detection does look nice.

Again, my primary screen is IPS and I'd also like to do my TFT laptop screen. If it could also do VA/AHA/S-IPS type screens that would be great too - I'm thinking of swapping my IPS monitor onto a workstation and running some OC'd Korean monitors for gaming.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
If those Korean monitors don't have custom RGB channel settings, they're going to be useless for color calibration.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I'm thinking about just swinging for the fences and getting a large format printer. Either a Pixma Pro 100, or finding a used Epson 3880 which people seem to swear by, also 17x25 prints :getin:

So the loose plan I have is to get a monitor/print calibrator, the spyder 5, which I need anyway and I've been :effort: about lately. Then get the printer, a few paper types, and refillable cartridges with color-matched generic ink or bulk Epson Ink for frugality. Calibrate everything, and I should be ok, right?

Since I mainly outsource my printing to smugmug at the moment, how do I set the printer so it knows which paper & profile to use? I can export from Capture one with ICC profiles embedded in the file, is it ok to send it straight from that file through the generic Mac printer screen? do you set the paper type & size on the printer? Or export the file as normal and find the dedicated Epson printer program to handle it?

Aside from the obvious price difference, does anyone have any opinions on the pixma vs epson?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

red19fire posted:

I'm thinking about just swinging for the fences and getting a large format printer. Either a Pixma Pro 100, or finding a used Epson 3880 which people seem to swear by, also 17x25 prints :getin:

So the loose plan I have is to get a monitor/print calibrator, the spyder 5, which I need anyway and I've been :effort: about lately. Then get the printer, a few paper types, and refillable cartridges with color-matched generic ink or bulk Epson Ink for frugality. Calibrate everything, and I should be ok, right?

Since I mainly outsource my printing to smugmug at the moment, how do I set the printer so it knows which paper & profile to use? I can export from Capture one with ICC profiles embedded in the file, is it ok to send it straight from that file through the generic Mac printer screen? do you set the paper type & size on the printer? Or export the file as normal and find the dedicated Epson printer program to handle it?

Aside from the obvious price difference, does anyone have any opinions on the pixma vs epson?

I own a 3880, it is a workhorse machine that won't bankrupt you. If you can get a deal on a P800, you might be better off getting it, since actual new/refurb 3880s will be harder to get. I'm not really one to get used inkjet equipment; that poo poo gets ran into the ground and you have no idea how the person before you maintained it. Many fine art papers and reputable manufacturers will do canned ICC profiles which (unless your particular printer is way off) will serve you for 99% of your prints. All bets are off if you go third party inks, though.

Canon's got a new 17 inch machine coming out soon, it has neat things like a vacuum paper feed (no pizza wheel marks) but I've never run the Canons so I can't really tell you how well they do economically.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

red19fire posted:

I think you may have missed it, but I bought a pixma pro 100 like 2-3 weeks ago for $50 after rebate. Everyone should be cleaning them out for the new line coming out.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Anubis posted:

I think you may have missed it, but I bought a pixma pro 100 like 2-3 weeks ago for $50 after rebate. Everyone should be cleaning them out for the new line coming out.

That's what got me thinking about it originally. And I know a guy who makes loot printing his own posters of his work.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you need SD or microSD cards, today's Amazon Gold Box has a ton of different capacity Sony ones, up to a 256GB SD card for $80.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Picked up a 32 GB UHS-1 for 9 bux. Not bad.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I'm so sick of having a body with CF. I want to buy a 128gb card and reformat once a year.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I upgraded my camera during a vacation and forgot to set the time/date on this new camera before continuing shooting. Now i have a ton of photos that think they were shot in 2010. Is it possible to correct the time/date created on a ton of photos at once? Their wrong date is messing up my Lightroom library :(

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Library > Metadata > Click on the menu box right of capture time

Should be able to do it there.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

iSheep posted:

Library > Metadata > Click on the menu box right of capture time

Should be able to do it there.

Thanks!

This is supposed to work, by shifting each photo the same amount as the one i change, but it doesn't do this for me, it only changes the first photo of my selection. I have this problem on about a thousand photos so i would like to avoid having to do it manuallly!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LR can be finicky about selections and applying things to them. Make sure the info on the right hand side box says 'multiple' when it comes to capture time, which will indicate the selection has been made properly and it will apply properly. I've had to do this a fair amount as I'm lazy and forget to change the time zone on my camera, which then bites me in the rear end during processing.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks!

This is supposed to work, by shifting each photo the same amount as the one i change, but it doesn't do this for me, it only changes the first photo of my selection. I have this problem on about a thousand photos so i would like to avoid having to do it manuallly!

Are you selecting them in the strip at the bottom, or grid view? Think you have to do your selection in grid view in library to make multiple edits.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

LR can be finicky about selections and applying things to them. Make sure the info on the right hand side box says 'multiple' when it comes to capture time, which will indicate the selection has been made properly and it will apply properly. I've had to do this a fair amount as I'm lazy and forget to change the time zone on my camera, which then bites me in the rear end during processing.

Im not seeing this "multiple" box?

After selecting in grid view as suggested by Shellman the "ok" button in the change capture time dialogue changes to "Change all" instead of just 1 though.

Shellman posted:

Are you selecting them in the strip at the bottom, or grid view? Think you have to do your selection in grid view in library to make multiple edits.

Doing it in grid view seems to be the trick! Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I marked your post to come back to, because I knew it should flag up as multiple somewhere and I got it wrong... it's Mixed in File Name not the capture time (not sure why it doesn't reflect it there too, but LR...). And yeah, after recreating it as to how I do it I was going to double check you were doing it in Grid mode. Apologies for not being concise earlier, was away from the computer.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's a good rule to remember anyway. LR will p much never touch more than one pic unless you're in grid.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm so sick of having a body with CF. I want to buy a 128gb card and reformat once a year.

If you have a body old enough to support type 2 CF cards you can get a SD to CF adapter that supports SDXC.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You can get 128gb cf cards?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Hello camera folks, can you tell me, roughly, what this camera would be worth?

Condition is unknown other than what you see in the picture.

Gratis

E; oh poo poo there is one on this very page, but mine looks like it is missing a flash (?). Let's assume it does not work and is missing the flash, is it worth $50?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

Gratis

E; oh poo poo there is one on this very page, but mine looks like it is missing a flash (?). Let's assume it does not work and is missing the flash, is it worth $50?

That's a Contax iia. The other one on this page is a Contax iiia.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Know a rough estimate on value? For both working and non-working? I really appreciate it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

No, I like to shoot with old cameras instead of selling them. Check the prices on eBay.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I understand. That did give me all I needed to know, thanks alot.

I wish I could say I would know how to use this camera to it's potential, but I buy and resell items I purchase from auction lots. I will see if I can't find someone to give it a proper mechanical inspecting so I that can accurately sell it. Thanks again

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008

Dr.Caligari posted:

Gratis

Depending on condition, I've seen them go for $150 to $300. Most need some shutter work, but unlike the Contax II or III won't necessarily need new shutter tape to being right. Definitely run it through the shutter speeds before buying, as unlike Leica's, there's a limited number of people willing and able to take on work on classic Contaxes.

The "flash" is actually a light meter. They're unrepairable these days, and that extra hunk of metal usually brings down the value of the III and IIIa versus the II and IIa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

powderific posted:

You can get 128gb cf cards?

There's a new CF spec out, isn't there?