Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Went and checked out an old CT110 (postie) on Gumtree today. Not in amazing condition and handlebars are very slightly crooked. On the plus side, is registered, kicks on easily when cold, and rides/stops just fine. Weird not having a clutch.

Will need new tyres, something I've previously left up to mechanics in the past. Since they're 2.75x17's maybe it would be worth buying a set of tire irons and doing myself? I do my own bicycle tyres all the time and have plenty of time and patience (while money is somewhat more limited), so I'm all for making this a learning experience. On the plus side, while I don't have a tonne of experience wrenching, the CT110 is by all rights dead easy to work on, and parts are relatively cheap and plentiful here in Australia. Am gonna have to start buying tools again, as I got rid of all my stuff when I moved here.

Also noticed the indicators seemed a bit dim, could that be a dying battery, or would that be an "all or nothing" sort of failure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Probably not the battery if they're dim while the bike is running, my postie is running without a battery and the lights are reasonable. Changing those tyres is gonna be pretty easy as well. The hardest part is getting the drat wheels off the bike thanks to all the loving fasteners holding the speedo/brake cables that love to rust. The drum brakes can be split from the hub without having to undo the cables so that should save some effort. Just be careful of dust from the pads unless you're sure they're asbestos free.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ephphatha posted:

Probably not the battery if they're dim while the bike is running, my postie is running without a battery and the lights are reasonable. Changing those tyres is gonna be pretty easy as well. The hardest part is getting the drat wheels off the bike thanks to all the loving fasteners holding the speedo/brake cables that love to rust. The drum brakes can be split from the hub without having to undo the cables so that should save some effort. Just be careful of dust from the pads unless you're sure they're asbestos free.

That is awesome news on the tyres! Now that I think about it, indicators may have just been a bad angle (looking down from over the bars), I'll get a look at them from the front when I go back tomorrow morning. Heard back from the seller and looks like $700 should do it, it has a bit more than 4 months rego on it as well :toot: Sprockets and chain need attention soon-ish, probably some other little stuff I didn't catch (IIRC neutral light wasn't working, but w/e), but overall don't feel like I can go wrong for the price on a registered, running postie.

Will be using it to cruise garage sales on the weekends, first order of business is picking up a socket set and whatever other useful tools I can find.

For a torque wrench, am I right in assuming I should get two; one for smaller stuff and one for tougher bits? Was thinking of this one for the former (I also ride a bicycle so would be useful for working on that as well), and an eBay special (~$50 shipped) for the latter. I'd love to spend more on something higher quality, but $90 on two wrenches is already pretty significant considering my budget, and this thing isn't exactly a Ducati.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 26, 2015

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

You can probably get away with just using the larger one tbh. I've got a 1/4" and 1/2" kincrome and I've never used the 1/4". The 1/2" only ever gets used on sump plugs where I don't want to risk cracking something expensive or impossible to replace and driveline components (sprocket, axles) that require high torque.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I could probably pick this up for closer to $4k than $4500. Thoughts?

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/5284013179.html

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

kylej posted:

I think I could probably pick this up for closer to $4k than $4500. Thoughts?

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/5284013179.html

Eh, I wouldn't for 4500.

Also here's a red flag. "I've only ran premium fuel and synthetic oil since I've owned it."

DRZs take neither of those things.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Marxalot posted:

I think we all know what happens when we don't put fuel or oil in our DRZ's.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

This guy is getting pretty close to my "buy now because it's so cheap" price.

https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/mcy/5280327596.html

I imagine these suffer from the same problems as other Bonnie's, as per the "honest" Bonnie review?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Update: she's all mine!

CT-110 by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Adorable. :3:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Update: she's all mine!

CT-110 by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Patsy the postie. Nice.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

Mine does.

Out here, thats a $55-6000 bike. I'm not a fan of that specific headlight, but the rest of the modifications are good and tactful. Try throwing 4 and see if they counter.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marxalot posted:

Also here's a red flag. "I've only ran premium fuel and synthetic oil since I've owned it."

Putting premium in won't hurt it and it's a super common mistake just about everybody makes, "bikes need premium".

Synthetic oil is compatible with dinosaur oil. So the PO likes to spend money on the bike.

I don't think these are red flags.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

Putting premium in won't hurt it and it's a super common mistake just about everybody makes, "bikes need premium".

Synthetic oil is compatible with dinosaur oil. So the PO likes to spend money on the bike.

I don't think these are red flags.

It won't -hurt- it, but it might mean the PO has done other dumb things.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Putting synthetic oil in a motorcycle is far from a dumb thing.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
No but putting premium in a DRZ is.

e: When you buy the expensive stuff it seems to last about 500-1000mi longer than cheap poo poo before it starts burning oil. Source: I've used both.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 27, 2015

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I take "only ran premium gas and synthetic oil" as typical Craigslist bullshit to try to fluff up a bike. I discount that right alongside "never dropped, never ridden hard, always garaged".

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marxalot posted:

It won't -hurt- it, but it might mean the PO has done other dumb things.

Maybe but putting premium in a bike that doesn't need it is reaalllllyyyy low on the list of dumb things to worry about. I'd rather somebody put premium in a bike that didn't need it than the other way around, for sure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kylej posted:

I take "only ran premium gas and synthetic oil" as typical Craigslist bullshit to try to fluff up a bike. I discount that right alongside "never dropped, never ridden hard, always garaged".

"Usual nicks and scratches for it's age."

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

Maybe but putting premium in a bike that doesn't need it is reaalllllyyyy low on the list of dumb things to worry about. I'd rather somebody put premium in a bike that didn't need it than the other way around, for sure.

Fair enough. Before I bought my FZ6 I was looking at a really clean looking black SV650.

The owner took a sawzall to the exhaust and cut the pipe at a 45deg angle right before the muffler. Nope. Pass.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah I'd put that higher on the list.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gorson posted:

This guy is getting pretty close to my "buy now because it's so cheap" price.

https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/mcy/5280327596.html

I imagine these suffer from the same problems as other Bonnie's, as per the "honest" Bonnie review?
Those aren't actual problems, mostly nitpicks. This one is carburated and has smaller displacement than current generation. Otherwise almost completely identical. They also downgraded to single front disk in later years for some dumb reason. If it checks out mechanically, I'd totally buy it and sell it in the spring for a grand more.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Anyone have any input on Suzuki GSX 650F's? This one keeps popping up on craigslist near me. Looks pristine and the price isn't too bad either, especially compared to everything else locally. Thinking about going to take a look at it.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/5257428063.html

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

100% Dundee posted:

Anyone have any input on Suzuki GSX 650F's? This one keeps popping up on craigslist near me. Looks pristine and the price isn't too bad either, especially compared to everything else locally. Thinking about going to take a look at it.

Aren't they just a faired Bandit? Couldn't go wrong if that's the case.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd look for a SV650 first. Pro tip: if you are seriously shopping, post a want ad and name your price. Worst that can happen is nothing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

100% Dundee posted:

I'd be more concerned about trying to work a deal with the guy based on the description.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Slavvy posted:

"Usual nicks and scratches for it's age."

My favorite is "Adult owned"

As opposed to...? 12y/o's GSXR1k?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Gahhh this guy dropped the price again. Should I sell the ninjette and get this?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/5275796146.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Dutymode posted:

Gahhh this guy dropped the price again. Should I sell the ninjette and get this?

You should probably keep the ninja for the time when your limited edition snowflake Honda is waiting for parts.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Dutymode posted:

You only live once!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dutymode posted:

I would be all over that for $1200. There are a bunch of 4th gens in southern WI that are very tempting that I'm sure you have also seen.

Nitrox posted:

You should probably keep the ninja for the time when your limited edition snowflake Honda is waiting for parts.

it's running, at least until the reg/rec blows up.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Infinotize posted:

My favorite is "Adult owned"

As opposed to...? 12y/o's GSXR1k?

All those highschoolers out there with $16k italian bikes

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
Completely new rider. Took the MSF Basic Rider Course last year but wasn't able to find a bike. I'm going to take the MSF Basic Rider Course again before actually buying the bike. In the mean time however, I'm looking for a beginner bike.

I've read that the general rule for a first bike is < 40 HP and < 400 pounds. I'd like to get a bike that has durability, parts support, and is affordable.

My inseam is 29 inches, if that helps. My thoughts is anywhere from something like a Honda CBR 250R/300R, Ninja 250R/300R, to the 500-ish range. Any recommendations?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ninja 250 or 1995+ ninja 500, perfect combination of availability, price, and manageability for midget-legs like me and you. CBRs and the 300s are fine, but newer and more expensive.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

Ninja 250 or 1995+ ninja 500, perfect combination of availability, price, and manageability for midget-legs like me and you. CBRs and the 300s are fine, but newer and more expensive.

This, but if you have a ton of money get a newer cbr300 because they have ABS.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Ideal Paradigm posted:

Completely new rider. Took the MSF Basic Rider Course last year but wasn't able to find a bike. I'm going to take the MSF Basic Rider Course again before actually buying the bike. In the mean time however, I'm looking for a beginner bike.

I've read that the general rule for a first bike is < 40 HP and < 400 pounds. I'd like to get a bike that has durability, parts support, and is affordable.

My inseam is 29 inches, if that helps. My thoughts is anywhere from something like a Honda CBR 250R/300R, Ninja 250R/300R, to the 500-ish range. Any recommendations?

Those are good bikes, but there's also things like the GS500 if you want something cheap as gently caress with all the power of a 250. Or a DRZ400 if you want a bike you can pitch into a mailbox and still ride off on.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

Marxalot posted:

Those are good bikes, but there's also things like the GS500 if you want something cheap as gently caress with all the power of a 250. Or a DRZ400 if you want a bike you can pitch into a mailbox and still ride off on.

I'd mainly be using the bike to commute and do weekend rides. I probably won't off road that much, I have taken a look at the DRZ 400s and it looks good, but one of the downsides for me is that the seat height looks to be pretty high.

I'm also looking for the bike to have ABS. I have a budget of about $3000.

I recently saw a 2012 Honda CBR 250R with ABS for sale for $3000 that I might be able to get for around $2000-$2500 depending on the seller.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Make sure you're budgeting about $500 for even basic gear.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
^^^ Also tax, registration, replacing the lovely bald/dry rotted/rock hard tires that that PO has on there, the dead battery, etc.

Ideal Paradigm posted:

I'd mainly be using the bike to commute and do weekend rides. I probably won't off road that much, I have taken a look at the DRZ 400s and it looks good, but one of the downsides for me is that the seat height looks to be pretty high.

I'm also looking for the bike to have ABS. I have a budget of about $3000.

I recently saw a 2012 Honda CBR 250R with ABS for sale for $3000 that I might be able to get for around $2000-$2500 depending on the seller.

Good picks. If you're in austin you could buy Certified Goonlord Minkee's GS500 for a grand and a bag of shake. Put the rest into a good helmet and your HSA :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Marxalot posted:

^^^ Also tax, registration, replacing the lovely bald/dry rotted/rock hard tires that that PO has on there, the dead battery, etc.

That postie I bought came with... no battery, and I can't even read the date code on the rear tyre, it's worn off.

Ideal Paradigm posted:

I don't know that taking the MSF course again would really be worth your while, especially after only a year. I'd read through Proficient Motorcycling, maybe the crash thread here in CA, spend some time on Youtube, and just putter around in a parking lot yourself once you get the bike, if you think you need to practice those skills more. Put the $250 or whatever into some nicer gear :kiddo: