Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

deathbagel posted:

For some reason, I completely overlooked the fact that Genoa can form Italy! It makes sense, considering Genoa is Italian and all, but I just assumed they couldn't! I'm totally doing this next, thanks!

The Pope is the only Italian who can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

deathbagel posted:

For some reason, I completely overlooked the fact that Genoa can form Italy! It makes sense, considering Genoa is Italian and all, but I just assumed they couldn't! I'm totally doing this next, thanks!

Genoa is loads of fun. Keep in mind that the +2 Mercantilism missions can all be repeated indefinitely. So you'll want to annex Grenada, sell the two non-Gibralter provinces to Castile, and then just keep integrating and releasing Grenada for the rest of the game, giving a continuous slow increase of mercantilism. If somebody weak gets into Egypt (in my case it was Alodia), you can keep just taking Alexandria, finishing the mission, and then returning it.

But the most important thing is to make sure you take Savoy's Italian provinces before France can win the hundred years war. Otherwise they'll get missions to grab Northern Italy, and want your provinces/mess up your pretty borders.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Genoa is loads of fun. Keep in mind that the +2 Mercantilism missions can all be repeated indefinitely. So you'll want to annex Grenada, sell the two non-Gibralter provinces to Castile, and then just keep integrating and releasing Grenada for the rest of the game, giving a continuous slow increase of mercantilism. If somebody weak gets into Egypt (in my case it was Alodia), you can keep just taking Alexandria, finishing the mission, and then returning it.

Mind = blown

I'm going for the 100% mercantalism achievement and I am at around 80% in 1740, so I will probably not make it.

I'll try again and this time make it a priority to get Alexandria asap to get to India and the Far East.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
P sure they nerfed that, the missions set global flags now.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Yea, but for some reason, my brain doesn't think of Genoa as Italian in EU terms. Probably because in most of my games they end up without any presence in Italy and end up owning most of Crimea instead.

Oh, and I saw this guy streaming. Apparently he has all of the achievements in the game except Three Mountains and he's streaming his run at that one. How does anyone have enough time in their lives to get every acheievement in a game like this?

http://www.twitch.tv/rabid_bunnies/

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 26, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

I wish there was a special decision for the Pope to form some kind of Mega-Papacy nation if you take over all of Italy or also own Jerusalem or whatever.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Roadie posted:

I wish there was a special decision for the Pope to form some kind of Mega-Papacy nation if you take over all of Italy or also own Jerusalem or whatever.

Some kind of kingdom of god, or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

OperaMouse posted:

Mind = blown

I'm going for the 100% mercantalism achievement and I am at around 80% in 1740, so I will probably not make it.

I'll try again and this time make it a priority to get Alexandria asap to get to India and the Far East. I hit 100 mercantilism at like 1640 or something.

That's like 80 years, more than enough time, especially if you're big and can knock over major powers.

RabidWeasel posted:

Nope, I did it this patch. You can't do the same one back to back, but you can always just take another and cancel it.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

RabidWeasel posted:

Nope:

code:
allow = {
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes
		tag = GEN
		government = merchant_republic
		is_subject = no
		NOT = {
			owns = 113 # Ferrara
		}
		113 = {
			owner = {
				NOT = { alliance_with = GEN }
			}
		}
	}

effect = {
		add_mercantilism = 0.02
	}
But if that's too gamey for your tastes (it certainly was for mine), just take Expansion or Religious and push into India and SE Asia. Converting those provinces (and the ones around your Egyptian and Black Sea holdings) can get you lots of Papal Influence, which you of course use to pump up mercantilism. This strategy got me to 100 by 1700, without leaving much up to chance.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Tsyni posted:

Some kind of kingdom of god, or something.

But there's no achievement for that. I wanted to get the form Italy achievement. Genoan Italy will do it though since the Pope is too non-Italian!

I can also do the 100 mercantilism by the sounds of it. It's only 1454 in my game right now and I'm already at 30.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Roadie posted:

I think you still lose the papacy if you use the Kingdom of Heaven decisison or whatever it's called.

On that note, wtf would you ever give up Jerusalem for some lovely prestige, such a weird decision too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That's really weird, I was sure that they changed that at the same time that they nerfed the mission rewards (it used to be something crazy like +20 mercantilism)

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

I think you still lose the papacy if you use the Kingdom of Heaven decisison or whatever it's called.

On that note, wtf would you ever give up Jerusalem for some lovely prestige, such a weird decision too.

I did it just so I could conquer Mecca and give it to Jerusalem.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there any benefit to participating in wars when your allies call you to action? Or is it best to just click "yes" and keep your soldiers at home and let your ally take the brunt of the damage?

I expended most of my manpower on a pretty lopsided war that my ally pulled me into. We came out on top at the end, but I got nothing more than a ~thanks~ from my ally.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Only if you actually want your ally nation to be strengthened. Though I have noticed that the AI is pretty decent about giving you provinces that you have claims on in a victory.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Avocados posted:

Is there any benefit to participating in wars when your allies call you to action? Or is it best to just click "yes" and keep your soldiers at home and let your ally take the brunt of the damage?

I expended most of my manpower on a pretty lopsided war that my ally pulled me into. We came out on top at the end, but I got nothing more than a ~thanks~ from my ally.

If you have a claim or a core or something, and you capture the respective province, your ally MIGHT give it to you in a peace deal. But there is no guarantee. Right now, you can just accept the call to arms, and let your ally drain all their manpower. Unless you want your ally to succeed, of course. Wiz said he plans to change that and have your ally get pissed off if you join the war but don't participate.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Node posted:

If you have a claim or a core or something, and you capture the respective province, your ally MIGHT give it to you in a peace deal. But there is no guarantee. Right now, you can just accept the call to arms, and let your ally drain all their manpower. Unless you want your ally to succeed, of course. Wiz said he plans to change that and have your ally get pissed off if you join the war but don't participate.

With the next expansion you'll also be able to mark provinces you want (whether or not you have claims on them), so the AI might be smart enough to give some of those to you if you help out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

deathbagel posted:

But there's no achievement for that. I wanted to get the form Italy achievement. Genoan Italy will do it though since the Pope is too non-Italian!

I can also do the 100 mercantilism by the sounds of it. It's only 1454 in my game right now and I'm already at 30.

A word to the wise: don't form Italy until the very end. Republics own bones.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Roadie posted:

With the next expansion you'll also be able to mark provinces you want (whether or not you have claims on them), so the AI might be smart enough to give some of those to you if you help out.

As a 100% pure and proud Turk, I am boycotting The Cossacks because it

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Roadie posted:

I hope there'll be a quick button to simply mark everything. :getin:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

deathbagel posted:

Sometimes it's awesome though. In my Pope playthrough, I had it because I needed to convert the Byzantine empire's 30 or so orthodox/sunni provinces quickly and got the call from Lithuania to defend against the Golden Horde, Crimea and Nogai. I had a stack of troops in Wallachia to smash rebels so I just sent them over to help Lithuania and when I looked to see which general I had assigned, it was the Pope himself!

It was a very inspiring moment in Papal history :hist101:

It worked for Julian II, after all!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

A word to the wise: don't form Italy until the very end. Republics own bones.

They should remove the "turn into monarchy" thing or make it a separate decision/event choice.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

They should remove the "turn into monarchy" thing or make it a separate decision/event choice.

I lost my Ambrosian Republic when I formed Italy and quit that game instantly. I didn't realize I couldn't form Italy as Republic :(

Wiz please change it. Forced governmental changes being linked to tag changes sucks. Maybe make two decisions, one letting you keep your gov type, and one making you the 'correct' gov type

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I've encountered a rather annoying bug where I'm the game will crash, and when I load it up again my ironman save is missing, and the save file on my hard drive is now 0kb. I've lost two Poland games so far, and it's really killing my desire to play if I can't make it to 1500 without my save getting eaten. Is there any sort of fix or workaround, or should I just stop playing Ironman?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GreyPowerVan posted:

I lost my Ambrosian Republic when I formed Italy and quit that game instantly. I didn't realize I couldn't form Italy as Republic :(

Wiz please change it. Forced governmental changes being linked to tag changes sucks. Maybe make two decisions, one letting you keep your gov type, and one making you the 'correct' gov type
I believe this is a change they are implementing with the next expansion/patch - that you get to chose between old or new ideas and gov type when forming another nation.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

oh, that's awesome.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
It is highly inconsistent with European political thought at the time to not become a monarchy, though. It was common sense at the time that Republics could not scale up very well. This made the USA's decision to create a republic pretty quizzical - it was actually the largest Republican project in essentially ever (unless you count Rome, which wasn't founded as a large republic but whose collapse was the first in a long line of "told you so"s that skeptics used to declare the Republic to be suited only to small countries and edge cases).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dibujante posted:

It is highly inconsistent with European political thought at the time to not become a monarchy, though. It was common sense at the time that Republics could not scale up very well. This made the USA's decision to create a republic pretty quizzical - it was actually the largest Republican project in essentially ever (unless you count Rome, which wasn't founded as a large republic but whose collapse was the first in a long line of "told you so"s that skeptics used to declare the Republic to be suited only to small countries and edge cases).

yes, but this is a game which sacrifices some amount of historicality for the sake of "being fun to play"

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

yes, but this is a game which sacrifices some amount of historicality for the sake of "being fun to play"

I'm not against allowing a state to keep a republic, just pointing out the historical context and why it might make sense for these decisions to skew monarchically.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Are claims for forming a nation going to be long-term or permanent after the patch as well? I really hate forming a nation, getting a bunch of claims -- then the claims going away after one or two wars and just being wasted.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 27, 2015

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ZiegeDame posted:

I've encountered a rather annoying bug where I'm the game will crash, and when I load it up again my ironman save is missing, and the save file on my hard drive is now 0kb. I've lost two Poland games so far, and it's really killing my desire to play if I can't make it to 1500 without my save getting eaten. Is there any sort of fix or workaround, or should I just stop playing Ironman?

If you're using cloud saves then stop doing that and use local saves.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

Are claims for forming a nation going to be long-term or permanent after the patch as well? I really hate forming a nation, getting a bunch of claims -- then the claims going away after one or two wars and just being wasted.

They're permanent in 1.14.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

praise wiz

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

My biggest question about the Cossacks DLC is... how the hell are they going to top it?! :confused:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Fintilgin posted:

My biggest question about the Cossacks DLC is... how the hell are they going to top it?! :confused:

With Vicky 3.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The only other thing I really want is a way to organize the outliner without having to disable then enable everything in a specific order every time I load a save. Why does it need to randomize seemingly every time <:mad:>

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 27, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

The only other thing I really want is a way to organize the outliner without having to disable then enable in a specific order everything every time I load a save. Why does it need to randomize seemingly every time <:mad:>

Yeah this is good too, make it so.

LLSix posted:

With Vicky 3.

HoI4 should be good, too.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

EU V in a brand spanking new engine with global map

that should happen, eventually

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The diplomacy revamp in particular has me incredibly excited.

Even more so than the formable nations buff. Especially since I already did the Hindustan (and Qing) achievements. :negative: Orissa can't change tags if it wants to go Last Servitor, right? I know Ceylon can't for theirs.

What does that leave for major achievement-friendly formables? Italy if I don't want to finish my Lucca game pre-1.14?

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 27, 2015

• Locked thread