Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Sirotan, a seal mug in hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Sheep posted:

dicktrauma, the office manager screaming

Tony, when the servers fell

E: Dick Trauma, his tools magnetized

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 27, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

When this thread is fully baked, this will be the last post:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Larchesdanrew, institutionalized after attacking a herd of buffalo while vacationing in Yellowstone

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A call came in.

Problem: Site keeps losing internet connectivity.
Solution: Determined the internet connection was flaky and ISP sends a tech locally to solve the problem.

After which, another call came in.

Problem: Internet now works, but internal apps are no longer accessible. Also, the VoIP system is down.
Solution: Jump in the car and go to site to reconnect the firewall the ISP tech has taken off-line and replaced with a D-Link router. Quote the tech: "Those are no good, this is much better".

:suicide:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ozz81 posted:

Larchesdanrew, institutionalized after attacking a herd of buffalo while vacationing in Yellowstone

Nah, I like to think of him on one of those wilderness tours desperately trying to explain to the guide why those buffalo over their are unreliable, the tourgide slightly exasperated shows the group another herd of buffalo and Larchesdanrew begins to lose his mind.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The best part about all these Buffalo jokes is that all evidence points towards Larches being an absolute loving champ at taking this poo poo in stride and obviously won't actually go insane at the sight of an actual common-noun buffalo, but at the same he'll probably remember all of this joking about them and laugh and seem insane to anyone around because it's only funny to us. :)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

User can't open PDF attachment from an email...

Adobe Reader and Chrome's built-in PDF reader both fail reading it. Other PDF files work fine on the machine.

It's a small file, so I try opening it in Notepad just to see what it looks like. Turns out the entire file is Base64 encoded? No visible PDF prelude or anything, but running it through a Base64 decoder gives a full valid PDF.

Any ideas what can cause that? User says someone forwarded the mail from an iPhone at some point.
I just came across this issue in Office 365, thought it might possibly be related:

EX31543 posted:

Current Status: Upon further analysis, engineers have determined that an extremely small number of systems have not yet been updated. At this point, less than .01% of systems are affected. Engineers are working to deploy the fix to the remaining systems. In parallel, engineers are working to move users on the remaining systems to alternate infrastructure in order to remediate impact.

User Experience: Affected users may receive emails with raw attachment content displayed in the message body. This issue occurs with emails that are sent from legacy scanners, fax machines, printers, and voicemail systems. Additionally, customer reports indicate that this incident also impacts some business applications such as Oracle E-Business Suite. As a potential workaround, the majority of users may be able to recover affected attachments by taking the following steps:
1. Open an affected message.
2. Copy the message contents starting from "Content-Type: application/pdf;" to the end of the message.
3. Open Notepad and paste the copied contents into a new blank document.
4. Save the Notepad document as a ".eml" file type.
5. Open the .eml file with the Outlook client.

Customer Impact: Analysis of incident scope indicates that a limited number of customers appear to be impacted by this event. However, those customers affected likely have a large number of users experiencing impact. Some customers have reported that their organization is affected by this issue.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

AlphaKretin posted:

The best part about all these Buffalo jokes is that all evidence points towards Larches being an absolute loving champ at taking this poo poo in stride and obviously won't actually go insane at the sight of an actual common-noun buffalo, but at the same he'll probably remember all of this joking about them and laugh and seem insane to anyone around because it's only funny to us. :)

This is pretty much it. I was at the bar Thursday night with some friends when I saw the Oregon Trail buffalo tombstone image and started laughing my rear end off. I tried explaining it, but no one gave a single solitary poo poo.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I pray next time I am watching Darmok I am alone. (Who am I kidding, I will be.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

lodewijk posted:

A call came in.

Solution: Determined the internet connection was flaky and ISP sends a tech locally to solve the problem.

Problem: Internet now works, but internal apps are no longer accessible. Also, the VoIP system is down.
Solution: Jump in the car and go to site to reconnect the firewall the ISP tech has taken off-line and replaced with a D-Link router. Quote the tech: "Those are no good, this is much better".

My networking experience is woefully out of date but I'm silently screaming in terror right now at what that tech just did.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Ozz81 posted:

Movey, his boxes full...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Siochain posted:

Movey, his boxes full...

On it!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Buffalo! It's Hard Drives Full!

:vince:

Also, a ticket came in from one of the remote locations.

:v: "Some lady called saying our mobile device hasn't connected in two weeks? I thought only one of you guys would call us. Do you think this is a scam?"
:confused: "Probably, no one should be contacting you besides us. Did you get any contact information?"
:v: "No. She had an accent so it was hard to understand her. She tried to get me to change some settings but I couldn't get it to work following her instructions, so she put me on hold to talk to her Manager and we wound up getting disconnected."
:stonk:

The user couldn't change the settings because we had the foresight to deploy these devices with an MDM solution in place to lock them down. :sweatdrop: Fortunately the user let us know as well so we could send a warning out company wide just in case.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 27, 2015

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lodewijk posted:

A couple years ago a local dsl isp started rolling out router/modem combos. Apparently the isp's techs had instructions to swap out those modems anytime they were dispatched, which resulted in some hilarious (to me anyway) callouts to clients.

ISP tech was here and the printer doesn't work! New modem is in different subnet, network printer had static IP address

ISP tech was here and half the computers don't connect to the internet, and the other half can't access the server. Half the computers were getting DHCP from the DC, and the other half getting DHCP from the new router

ISP tech was here and wireless devices work, hardwired devices don't. Combo modem is also wireless AP, ISP tech just unplugged main router and left it. This client didn't have on premises wireless before.

ISP tech was here 2 months ago, and sometimes some devices give conflicting IP address messages and/or are unable to login with trust error. ISP tech had the foresight to set the new combo device to the same subnet as the existing network, but didn't think that DHCP would be provided by something other than the main router

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

lodewijk posted:

A call came in.

The amount of time I spent telling people and ISP techs "Do not let them disconnect anything that doesn't connect directly to the coax. DO NOT LET THEM UNPLUG ANY OF THIS STUFF *motions emphatically at networking equipment*"...

It never helped.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Sirotan, her speculum bucket full of laptops.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

nitrogen posted:

Sirotan, her speculum bucket full of laptops.

:cry:

In other news I am see constant pings from machines at a client on the firewall saying it has blocked Hamachi use. However, I have been through almost every single workstation that has thrown up said flag on the firewall and not one of them appears to have Hamachi installed. Anyone know if LogMeIn likes to ninja hide the VPN client?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Inspector_666 posted:

The amount of time I spent telling people and ISP techs "Do not let them disconnect anything that doesn't connect directly to the coax. DO NOT LET THEM UNPLUG ANY OF THIS STUFF *motions emphatically at networking equipment*"...

It never helped.

I caught a guy playing around with the fiber router we have set up at one of our locations' uplink closets. 10Gbase-SR cables were unplugged and he was looking into the pretty red lights.

Guy does not work with us anymore. I do not know how some of these people are getting through the hiring process. These days, my team has mostly-solitary control over who gets a key to the door, so another department can't just issue access "because he's our network guy."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Hi [NETWORKING GUY],

I'm not sure what I need to do here. Truthfully, I'm not so familiar with LDAP. I know we have our AD servers but I was always under the impression that LDAP is something separate and that I would have to add that role/feature to the server and that it could cause some users to be unable to connect to the network. However, I see documentation for it from my predecessors, but it is referencing an old server that is no longer in use. I may need some guidance to make sure I don't mess anything up here.

Thank you,

[NAME]
Vice President, IT &
Chief Information Officer

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

:negative:

On the plus side he openly admitted a lack in knowledge. This probably means it is far less terrible than my initial reaction would indicate.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ChubbyThePhat posted:

:negative:

On the plus side he openly admitted a lack in knowledge. This probably means it is far less terrible than my initial reaction would indicate.
You'd think, but networking guy sent him this document almost three weeks ago, and he's probably got a dumb intern who can follow the instructions in there.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

anthonypants posted:

LDAP question

Hey, guy at least asked. He could've been too afraid to show weakness and charged ahead with taking down your AD environment.

Edit: Based on the nuance in his email, he also thinks highly enough of you to very gracefully ask for help. 8/10 non-technical management guy didn't know what to do at a low level, but knew what he needed to do and ask for help and did so in a very polite manner.

I don't expect my boss to be able to troubleshoot half of what I do, but he's regardless very intelligent and understands things when explained to him well. He still intuits elements of architectural / design decisions well enough to surprise my team with considerations none of us had thought through to totality. That's good management.

YES, MR. BOSS MAN THAT'S POSITIVE FEEDBACK NOW STOP READING MY POSTS.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 27, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Potato Salad posted:

Hey, guy at least asked. He could've been too afraid to show weakness and charged ahead with taking down your AD environment.

Edit: Based on the nuance in his email, he also thinks highly enough of you to very gracefully ask for help. 8/10 non-technical management guy didn't know what to do at a low level, but knew what he needed to do and ask for help and did so in a very polite manner.

All of this. This sounds like a dream clueless-C-level.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One of our applications that are supported by a third party went down today. When we found out we sent an email to all staff telling them it's down and being looked at.

Anyone want to guess what the last dozen or so tickets that have been emailed in have been about?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

One of our applications that are supported by a third party went down today. When we found out we sent an email to all staff telling them it's down and being looked at.

Anyone want to guess what the last dozen or so tickets that have been emailed in have been about?

Tickets thanking you for the prompt notification so they don't waste time troubleshooting the issue themselves? :gbsmith:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

I stared at him as the elevator doors began to close. Before they totally shut, I announced, "You're an rear end in a top hat, [supervisor]."

Well in SH/SC they say
larchesdanrew's balls grew three sizes that day

I haven't gotten to the end of the thread yet - what will you be doing income-wise in the meantime?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MJP posted:

Well in SH/SC they say
larchesdanrew's balls grew three sizes that day

How the Grinch Saved Airtime

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Network problems came in.

One of the offices is complaining that their internet is spotty and slow. Looks like it may be a switch issue, let's just take a look and-

Welp.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

larchesdanrew posted:

One of the offices is complaining that their internet is spotty and slow. Looks like it may be a switch issue, let's just take a look and-

Welp.

Oh no, Buffalo VoIP is becoming all too real!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Welp.

So how/when is the notice going to go down?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Pasture cables :q:

No tickets came in, because I don't have to pick up the phone anymore!! Learning Powershell was a very good decision

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

E: Dick Trauma, his tools magnetized

It tickles me that people still remember that incident. :3:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

larchesdanrew posted:

Welp.

:psyboom:

I hope hub is just a branding thing and it's not actually a hub (but it's a switching hub so :v:). Cause that would just be the frosting on top of the poo poo cake

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Welp.

Oh my gently caress. Abort. ABORT.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Waiting for larches when the CE does implment wireless

"Wireless is semi working... wait, what is this?"

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Why do you need managed wireless access points? If you set them up right you should only have to touch them once.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

pr0digal posted:

:psyboom:

I hope hub is just a branding thing and it's not actually a hub (but it's a switching hub so :v:). Cause that would just be the frosting on top of the poo poo cake

I think it's a "switching hub" because not long after you deploy it you will switch it with something better.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

Welp.

Eagerly awaiting when every post in this thread gets a response of eject.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The CE gets a new haircut. On the back of his head you can faintly see the word "Buffalo".

• Locked thread