Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Oh right, so it's kind of like the difference between Philips and JIS screw heads: they're both perfectly fine but it's easy to over-tighten the latter and thereby gently caress up the bike if you don't know what you're doing.
I'd be inclined to disagree. Weak tie-downs combined with the shock loading of road bumps, amplified by the fact the bike has its own suspension to bounce on, mean you lose tightness very quickly or could even break one if you're particularly unlucky. You'll want ratchet straps on the strongest parts you can find, cinched down hard enough to load up the suspension.

Probably the front of the van? Cargo compartment is usually separate from the cabin in hires. If not would I have any joy putting a wire tie on the front brake do you think?
It's more to have something to cinch forward and down against. The more immobile it is the better, you'll want to be able to stick it right up against something firm. When I was using a trailer to haul my bike to the shop and back I cinched it forward properly as well as tied the front wheel directly to the trailer rail.

Collateral Damage posted:

You need to carry paperwork? If I get stopped the police just does an online check of my plate number and gets all the registration and insurance information. All I need is my license, which conveniently is credit card sized. :sweden:
The last time I got stopped, he asked for my insurance, but when it took more than a few seconds to find he said he'd just look it up. :iiam:

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I just got done doing the low-mileage-sat-for-a-while thing with my KLR.

It's a 2001, I bought it with 4800 miles. The owner rode it around offroad for 3 years then moved to the city and it sat. 100% stock, very little recent maintenance, ran like poo poo but it was all there and it was all reasonably clean and in great condition.

Everything needed work, in sequence. It was never on the road for more than a couple of days before something else would go off.

It was fun, though. I knew what I was getting into when I met the guy. I don't know how this guy ended up owning a KLR and not a BMW.

I've got it running great, and now I know firsthand that it's up to date on all its maintenance and I'm familiar with doing all of it myself.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That mirrors my experience to my '08 Ulysses with 4700 miles on it. Got it in March. Average <700mi/year. Needed new spark plugs, new plug wires, new wheel bearings, new VR, new air filter, new tires, and new intake seals. Oil too because why not.

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013
Re: shipping my dad's GT80 most of the way across Australia.

It's done. One $60 local bike tow job, $100 to crate it at a bike shop and $680 interstate shipping. Got to see it picked up within the hour of paying. Now to worry and punch in the tracking details every few hours for a week. Feels great to get it done.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Here's a dumb question. My new bike has nitrogen in the tires from the dealer. I have an air compressor in my garage and like to maintain my own pressures without having to stop at a shop. I check every time I ride and usually add a couple psi back in every week or so or maybe try different pressures. Do I just let the nitrogen out and fill with air?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BlackLaser posted:

Here's a dumb question. My new bike has nitrogen in the tires from the dealer. I have an air compressor in my garage and like to maintain my own pressures without having to stop at a shop. I check every time I ride and usually add a couple psi back in every week or so or maybe try different pressures. Do I just let the nitrogen out and fill with air?

Just add/remove air normally.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What's the (theoretical) advantage of having pure nitrogen in your tires anyway?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Collateral Damage posted:

What's the (theoretical) advantage of having pure nitrogen in your tires anyway?

less "air" leaks out.

The atmosphere is like 78% nitrogen anyway though...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I thought it was something with moisture, that with pure nitrogen the pressure changes less with temperature.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

I thought it was something with moisture, that with pure nitrogen the pressure changes less with temperature.

More linearly, I think.
Also when your brakes catch fire and the tires go pop, all that nitrogen is a pretty good smothering agent (well, it doesn't *add* oxygen to the reaction). OK that last one just applies to large aircraft.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Fill your tyres with helium to reduce unsprung weight.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fill your tyres with helium to reduce unsprung weight.

Too heavy. Use hydrogen!

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Only use the especially formulated Motorex brand air, as stated in the manual.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What the hell's going on with my barend mirror?

I went to remove it on my last trackday, and it wouldn't come out (worked fine the TD before that, and on the other clipon). Normally when I remove it, the black/gold cylinder comes off with the bolt - this time the bolt just spun forever but with resistance (not like it's stripped). Yanking with locking pliers didn't help. I've never removed the cylinder that sits inside the bar, so I'm not sure if it's the diagonal cut kind or what. You can see the metal seems like it splitting, which is bizarre because I've never put enough force on it to do that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Usually that's fixed by working it up and down as you loosen it. Eventually you get enough friction to unscrew it. Also sometimes you have to drive the center bolt back in, depending on the design, if the center part that spreads the arms outward against the inside of the bar has gotten stuck too far in.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Regarding the off-roaded ZZR600, when I checked the chain last week the actual links appeared to have good coating of oil but the rollers were orange.

I didn't check the play but assuming it actually rotates alright and doesn't have any sticky spots, are surface rusted rollers a major problem? Or can I just throw some extra lubricant on and be okay for a while?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Regarding the off-roaded ZZR600, when I checked the chain last week the actual links appeared to have good coating of oil but the rollers were orange.

I didn't check the play but assuming it actually rotates alright and doesn't have any sticky spots, are surface rusted rollers a major problem? Or can I just throw some extra lubricant on and be okay for a while?

As long as you don't actually live by the seaside, chains can take vast amount of abuse. Just make sure it goes around cleanly and doesn't have an audible rattle at speed. Being a terrible person my bike chains don't really get checked except at service.

Also, if you're riding over winter, I cannot recommend Pilot Road 4s enough - pricey, but oh so worth it.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Angrymog posted:

Also, if you're riding over winter, I cannot recommend Pilot Road 4s enough - pricey, but oh so worth it.

Im considering these tires as I am due for a replacement. Are they appropriate for a bike that sees a lot of commuting miles?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah Pilot Roads wear like iron.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
PR4's are basically the only tire you should get unless you're riding a dirt bike or a supersport. Wear incredibly well, great in the wet and cold, tons of grip and super predictable.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The only reason not to get PR4 is if you can get a deal on PR3s.

Here's a PR3 after a 6,000 mile trip:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Eh I enjoy the Bridgestone T30 on my FZ1 infinitely more than the PR4 I had.

E: Especially for like $70 less or whatever.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Good feedback, thanks. Sounds like the right tire for racking up some miles.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
My bike rides better on PR3s in the rain than my car. Love these tires!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Put a new pipe and a new spark plug in the drz400 today. After installing everything I can't get the bike to start unless it's in priming mode. It runs lean when it's running in priming mode but that's just because I haven't re-jetted it yet. Any idea what could be causing the issue?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Did you forget to connect the vacuum line?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Got enough gas in the tank?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Plenty of gas. We didn't take the tank completely off when we pulled the spark plug. I'm guessing we probably pinched the vacuum line or something. I'll check it tomorrow.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Hmm drz trouble... Have you tried knocking it over a couple times?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Obligatory "if all else fails, park it by a highway".

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

. I'm not sure if it's implying that California models have an extra emission control system or if all DRZ's have them. But regardless, if I was messing around with the tank and the spark plugs I'm guessing that the vacuum hose in this diagram is the only thing that could have gotten messed up to create my problem right? Or is there another hose somewhere else I should check?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
that'll do it.

also do yourself a favor and delete the ca emissions poo poo.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I would read that as S and SM models sold in California. Not Californian, S, and SM models.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

cursedshitbox posted:

also do yourself a favor and delete the ca emissions poo poo.

Except don't do this. Not only is the vapor bad for everyone and what not, would you rather the gas evaporate into the air or be recirculated back into your system for use? Would you rather have a small charcoal canister or lose gas to evaporation?

Unless cursedshitbox was being sarcastic.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Don't you have to start it in prime mode every time since it's a vacuum fuel valve? Or at least the first time you start it for the day? Carbs are hard :ohdear:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

El Jebus posted:

Except don't do this. Not only is the vapor bad for everyone and what not, would you rather the gas evaporate into the air or be recirculated back into your system for use? Would you rather have a small charcoal canister or lose gas to evaporation?

Unless cursedshitbox was being sarcastic.

:v: Mine is gone, but that was done long before I came along. 1 way check valve will cure the fuel vapor.

E: I'm doing the environment a huge disservice with my flatslide, stroker, cams, and upped compression, but I don't really give two shits.

velocross posted:

Don't you have to start it in prime mode every time since it's a vacuum fuel valve? Or at least the first time you start it for the day? Carbs are hard :ohdear:

No. set it and forget it till you run out, then move it to reserve, and back to on when you fill up.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 31, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Hmm well I don't live in CA so I'm guessing my bike doesn't have that. Is that still the only vacuum line that I could have messed up though?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Probably. Worst case guy, PM me tomorrow with some photos or sommat.

I'll be in the hills playing in the dirt but Ill be home in the evening.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Unsuccessful finding any tools at garage sales this morning, but my landlord had a socket set, so was able to get started on trying to fix up this 1991 Honda CR110 (postie) I bought this week. Backstory: paid AU$700 for it, previous owner was a uni student who doesn't look to have taken too good of care of it. Being a relative novice and this thing having no shortage of stuff needing attention, I have lots of questions!

-When I got it, headlight worked dimly (high beams didn't work at all) but even the regular one quit working after a day or so. I opened up the headlight assembly this afternoon and there's a 12V bulb in there (Honda didn't switch the electrics to 12V until '95), which wouldn't have been helping things. Will order a 6V bulb and take it from there.

Other electrical: indicators are quite dim at idle, OK when engine is revving higher. Have read that the bike doesn't need a battery to run (fair enough, neither did my old XLR), but shop manual suggests that weak power to electrics while engine is running might be a weak/dead battery. Pretty sure battery is dead or close to it, as nothing electrical works with the ignition on but engine not running.

-While I was in there, I used my phone's camera to peek up into the gauge cluster... the nonfunctioning N and high beam indicators are not only non-functioning, but appear to be non-existent, sigh. That's going on the "someday" list, have more pressing issues at the moment. When I get a multimeter I'll check the wires and see if they're at least working.

PO said he'd just changed the oil when I bought it, to his credit it looks fresh. I took the bike out on a quick 5 minute ride, came back, put it on the centre stand, and this is what I got (after wiping it down before re-inserting, without screwing it in). The oil went as high as the red range indicates, should only be as far up as the top of the blue range. Is there anything else I might be missing here, or is this just massively over-filled? Torque wrench isn't here yet so I'd rather not undo the drain plug.

I've also had the bike start to creep forward a bit at stops when it's in first on occasion, so thought the centrifugal clutch could use some adjusting. I read up on some tutorials and tried it, but seemed to make it worse. When I have it on the centre stand and in neutral, revving the engine will cause the rear wheel to spin a bit, although when I've got the wheel planted on the ground it's not enough to move the bike any noticeable amount. Was able to get it back to how it was before, I think? Honestly not entirely sure, need to do some more tests as I ran out of daylight/energy. Aside from the adjustment, could the creep in first be a symptom of worn clutch plates?

Other:

Choke situation: bike doesn't like running without the choke. Google is telling me the gaskets on the air box/line might be bad? First move is going to be ordering some stuff to clean the air filter and see if that helps any. Doesn't help that the knob on the choke is broken off, making it kind of hard to tell the position. I looked through a box of carbs at the wrecker's yesterday but couldn't find a replacement one, so guess I'll have to epoxy my own tab on there. I adjusted the idle screw and it runs at idle without choke now, but realise that's not a good way to deal with things.

Current shopping list:

Parts
  • 6V headlight bulb
  • Lefthand mirror (might as well get a pair)
  • Right rear turn indicator (may buy a pair of these as well, even the unbent one is pretty brittle)
  • Filter cleaner and oil
  • Sparkplug (would just like to have a spare on hand)
  • Front and rear tyres + tubes
  • Sprockets + chain
  • 6V battery? (not 100% sure I'll bother, need to open up battery case and get model number)

Tools
  • Torque wrench
  • Sparkplug tool
  • Tyre levers
  • Feeler gauges for checking valve clearances
  • Set of wrenches for bike's road toolkit (completely missing)
  • Multimeter

I'll leave you guys with my own (temporary!) contribution to the bike's crudiness: ordering a new rear signal, but needed to get the current one to stop drooping in the interim so I raided the kitchen:

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know about you guys, but i love being hurt by californian s & m models.