Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Because the "he'll surround himself with the best and the brightest, he'll be as much a CEO as a President" plan worked out so well with W...

Most likely he'll fire the smart people for asinine reasons, but there is a small glimmer of hope he'd listen. Carson on the other hand is running in an election that he believes won't even take place, because Obama is going to crash the economy and institute martial law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIETFbaDrOQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Winkie01 posted:

What a cool guy

No, that can't just stay on the last page.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Winkie01 posted:

What a cool guy

Quick, someone photoshop in some skittles and then a RIP scroll

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Obama do not trash your legacy

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe Hillary will actually be better than Obama because she doesn't have any illusions about "uniting" a country where half the population doesn't believe the federal government should have any actual power.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

blue squares posted:

The cuts really don't seem that significant and seem like lip-service to the GOP base. Hard to tell without more specific details.

quote:

To help offset the cost of the discretionary spending increases, aides said the deal also would likely include new rules for the Social Security Disability Insurance fund, which is expected to run out of funds by the end of 2016. Discussions have also included maintaining a 2 percent cut to Medicare provider payments that were included in the 2011 Budget Control Act, also known as the sequester. Those cuts could be problematic for Democrats who have insisted that there be no changes to Medicare or Social Security in a budget deal.

The deal under discussion would extend the life of the disability fund for as many as six years and would include programmatic changes, such as allowing some recipients who can still work to take partial payments while earning outside income. The plan would avoid across-the-board disability insurance cuts by implementing smaller changes like expanding a program requiring a second medical expert to weigh in on whether or not an applicant is truly disabled.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

But CNN in that link says

quote:

Bipartisan congressional leaders and the White House struck a major fiscal deal in principle Monday that would raise the debt ceiling and lift budget caps on both defense and domestic programs, according to congressional sources familiar with the deal.

The agreement could be voted on as early as Wednesday, the same day House Republicans are expected to nominate Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, to replace retiring Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, as House speaker.

That new spending would be offset by sales from the strategic petroleum oil reserve, use of public airwaves for telecommunications companies and changes to the crop insurance program — among other measures. Moreover, the deal would spread out increases in Medicare premiums over time so beneficiaries don't feel them acutely. It would also aim to preserve the Social Security disability trust fund, sources said.

Conservatives sharply panned the deal.

"It's emblematic of five years of failed leadership," said Rep. Justin Amash, R-Michigan.
So what the gently caress?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Winkie01 posted:

What a cool guy

Such a punch-able face.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Winkie01 posted:

What a cool guy

It has a goddamn zipper JEB! you stupid idiot

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

quote:

The plan would avoid across-the-board disability insurance cuts by implementing smaller changes like expanding a program requiring a second medical expert to weigh in on whether or not an applicant is truly disabled.

Whoa there kid, you might be missing an arm, but we'll need you to schedule a second appointment in a few months to be sure you're really disabled!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Winkie01 posted:

What a cool guy

I hope someone puts a tack on this dummy's chair.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Maybe his advisors told him that putting on a zippered hoodie without using the zipper was what all the cool kids were doing these days.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

no, no, this is how the kids wear the hoodles, right?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Winkie01 posted:

What a cool guy

Hey guys, check it out. My Trayvon Martin costume showed up just in time for Halloween.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Every day it gets clearer and clearer that W. really is the smarter one.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Every day it gets clearer and clearer that W. really is the smarter one.

its a really alarming revelation after years and years of the accepted narrative being that Jeb was the good son and W was the dry-drunk moron.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Melissa Harris Perry is the liberal that Bill Maher mocks.

I would posit that Bill Maher is the 'liberal' worth mocking.

Self-fellating, pseudo-comedian, anti-vaxx dickhead that he is.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Good loving luck with that.

In a lot of states, sex ed amounts to "100% abstinence no questions asked, now look at all these horrible STIs you'll definitely get from pre-marital sex!" But that's a separate discussion, I suppose.

Yep. And 'contraceptives are not a crutch for your reckless lifestyle!!!'

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RevKrule posted:

Hey guys, check it out. My Trayvon Martin costume showed up just in time for Halloween.
"It was a zombie costume. zombies love skittles" says a sweating aide on Hannity.

The header reads "Bush: Party City out of green face paint, had to improvise with shoe polish"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

its a really alarming revelation after years and years of the accepted narrative being that Jeb was the good son and W was the dry-drunk moron.

Both can be true, though.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But CNN in that link says

So what the gently caress?

It's the draconican cuts they want, and it's not the big scary thing liberals fear and that the NYT tried to paint it as. In other words, calm down.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
BLM is just like all white protest movements of the past couple decades, like OWS, Code Pink, One Million Moms, the Coffee Party, the Tea Party. By which I mean to say it's dumb.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

greatn posted:

BLM is just like all white protest movements of the past couple decades, like OWS, Code Pink, One Million Moms, the Coffee Party, the Tea Party. By which I mean to say it's dumb.

BML is not a white protest movement tho.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kro-Bar posted:

I don't see color so this is news to me.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kro-Bar posted:

BLM is just as dumb as white people though. And white people are pretty dumb.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

darthbob88 posted:

I was thinking more of Reagan, who did surround himself with the best and the brightest and the evilest. Still though, Trump would be strictly preferable to Carson.

Trump would be better than Carson, in the sense that stepping in a five-pound pile of poo poo is preferable to falling face-first into a five-pound pile of poo poo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Trump would be better than Carson, in the sense that stepping in a five-pound pile of poo poo is preferable to falling face-first into a five-pound pile of poo poo.

Moldy Turnip > Trump >>>> Meteor strike > Cruz = Carson

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

greatn posted:

It's a broad brush to lump all those together, but no, BLM is not like any of those.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
I'm going to give BLM some credit here and assume the public stance is meant to push minority and related economic issues onto the agenda in the other debates, and perhaps to push for an additional debate on those topics. More debates and debates on those topics are that things that a Sanders supporter would like to see, remember?

I swear the conversation is so poisoned right now that even the left is programmed to think in bullshit like "a debate about black people is automatically a debate that does not reflect my interests if I am not black." Even when that is literally the opposite of the opinion one consciously holds :psyduck:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Speaking of Black Lives Matter:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-appears-show-cop-body-slamming-student-s-c-classroom-n451896

quote:

A cell phone video shot inside a South Carolina high school Monday appeared to show a police officer body slamming a female student and dragging her across a classroom.

The confrontation, at Spring Valley High School in Columbia, S.C., has drawn intense criticism on social media, from the school district's Black Parents Association — the student is African-American — and the American Civil Liberties Union of South Carolina, which called the deputy's actions "egregious."

""There is no justification whatsoever for treating a child like this," the ACLU said in a statement.
In a news conference, a spokesman for the Richland County Sheriff's Department, Curtis Wilson, identified the officer in the video as Ben Fields.

The sheriff, Leon Lott, was out of town, Wilson said, but had watched the video and was "disturbed."

The department and its internal affairs division were investigating the incident, Wilson said, and Fields had been placed on administrative leave.

Earlier Monday, Lott told NBC affiliate WIS that the student was disrupting class and "refused to comply" with the officer's direction. "When she refused," Lott said, the officer "was requested to take action."

She was told that she was under arrest, but again refused to follow orders, Lott told the station. "The video then shows the student resisting and being arrested."

In a statement, school district superintendent Debbie Hamm said the district "is deeply concerned" about the confrontation.

"Student safety is and always will be the District's top priority," Hamm said. "The District will not tolerate any actions that jeopardize the safety of our students."

Hamm added that the district is working "closely" with the sheriff's department to "conduct a thorough and complete investigation."

"Pending the outcome of the investigation, the District has directed that the school resource officer not return to any school in the District," Hamm said.

In a statement, the Richland Black Parents Association said they were "heartbroken as this is just another example of the intolerance that continues to be of issue in Richland School District Two particularly with families and children of color."
The video is in the link. Expect to hear "we didn't hear all the poo poo she said to the officer before she was torn violently from her desk like a rag doll."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm going to give BLM some credit here and assume the public stance is meant to push minority and related economic issues onto the agenda in the other debates, and perhaps to push for an additional debate on those topics. More debates and debates on those topics are that things that a Sanders supporter would like to see, remember?

I swear the conversation is so poisoned right now that even the left is programmed to think in bullshit like "a debate about black people is automatically a debate that does not reflect my interests if I am not black." Even when that is literally the opposite of the opinion one consciously holds :psyduck:

Alternatively, a lot of people were racists all along, and when they hear something they like they have no problem dropping the pretense of giving a poo poo about minorities.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Like all decentralized protest movements, the actual goal is to relieve pent up discontent by shouting loudly about injustices. Ostensibly, this promotes awareness of the issues and forces changes in the conversation. At the end of the day though, it won't actually affect any real change, because actually managing to a become a political force requires both organization and compromise, which won't happen because A) it requires concentrated, sustained time and effort, and B) it's anathema to a movement based on anger. The fact that the Tea Party managed to do so says more about it's astroturf nature than it does about it's member's actual conviction.

This isn't to say that the injustices that minorities suffer and the anger they feel aren't absolutely legitimate, but that BLM isn't going to accomplish anything until or unless they can work with the machine; something that at least several of its prominent activists are loathe to do, for the reasons above.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

CommieGIR posted:

Its directly from "God's Not Dead"

Which, while profitable, was rated so poorly that it sampled worse than some actual corny B movies.

Wait he literally claimed that Gods not Dead scenario happened.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

This isn't to say that the injustices that minorities suffer and the anger they feel aren't absolutely legitimate, but that BLM isn't going to accomplish anything until or unless they can work with the machine; something that at least several of its prominent activists are loathe to do, for the reasons above.

attempting to get the democratic candidates engaged in a debate on minority issues sounds like working with the machine to me

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's the draconican cuts they want, and it's not the big scary thing liberals fear and that the NYT tried to paint it as. In other words, calm down.

Even if these cuts aren't as horrible as people may think, it still sends a horrible precedent that a president has in fact offered concessions for a debt ceiling hike.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I actually find the Jeb hoodie thing literally the most endearing, likeable thing I have ever seen from him. He just seems like he is goofing around.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
alternatively i guess we could all sit around bemoaning the lack of an ideal protest movement until we get colorectal cancer and die from eating hot dogs

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr Interweb posted:

Even if these cuts aren't as horrible as people may think, it still sends a horrible precedent that a president has in fact offered concessions for a debt ceiling hike.

It's not a concession, it's an actual agreement on spending (there's a difference.)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hollismason posted:

Wait he literally claimed that Gods not Dead scenario happened.

yeah. and the real story behind it, was that it was a symbolism experiment at a christian school.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

attempting to get the democratic candidates engaged in a debate on minority issues sounds like working with the machine to me

The democrats agreed to to engage them at a town hall meeting, to mixed reception from BLM activists, which highlights the obstacles inherent to anger based grassroot movements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i feel the issue is important enough to merit a full-fledged debate, and dont fault BLM for having misgivings

• Locked thread