Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She is an eladrin actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

She is an eladrin actually

Then yea, most of this convo isn't necessary. Just hold the implement in the other hand and functionally nothing should change.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If she's eladrin, then she's already set. They can use longswords as weapons or implements by default. Show her the War Wizard's Expertise feat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just saying: if this is purely a characterization thing, like if the player's perfectly aware that magic can't "run out" in 4E but still wants her character to take precautions, it might be fun to have a special event encounter where magic does "run out" and she has to face a few (custom-tailored low AC) minions on her own. But that really needs to be a one-time thing, clearly stated in and out of game, and if your group is remotely the kind of group that would start laser focusing on precautions for when their power source craps out, better don't.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO just give her Intelligent Blademaster for free. A decent MBA isn't going to overpower anything, and then you can make a setpiece battle where she has to fight in an anti-magic field during a prison break or something similiar and gets to fend off guards with it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Really Pants posted:

If she's eladrin, then she's already set. They can use longswords as weapons or implements by default. Show her the War Wizard's Expertise feat.

Pretty sure they don't get implement proficiency, just weapon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Character Builder lets you use longswords with implement powers as an eladrin wizard.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Really Pants posted:

The Character Builder lets you use longswords with implement powers as an eladrin wizard.

CB!= rules source. It often lists completely the wrong things on power cards. The racial benefit is just plain 'proficiency with the longsword' which doesn't include implement proficiency.

But as previously noted, allowing various forms of implement proficiency wouldn't be harmful, but there are any number of ways to make the character moderately useful in a magic-less melee without needing to houserule, not least the aforementioned longsword proficiency.

In the long run it's not going to amount to much though. Especially if the game's not using Inherent Bonuses.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
They aren't trying to use the sword as an implement. They just wanna hack a dude if they need to.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Just MC Swordmage and also you're already an Eladrin so you can Cut them and Spell them with your sword done.
e: Or play the real longsword class, the Warlock with Eldritch Strike.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

CB!= rules source.

On a note related to that- are essentials hybrid classes locked into the same pre-selected powers the full class gets? The CB says yes, the original dragon article says no... but the article is a playtest, and as far as I know the finalized versions of the e-hybrids weren't published outside of the CB. I was hoping I could use the hybrids to poach class features without having to deal with locked-in powers.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IIRC the powers are locked in for the essentials hybrids because the features are only balanced by their lack of free power choice.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The only time it'd really matter is going Execution | Whatever, and even then, only if you go with the reading of certain paragon assassin powers that turn them into triple hits.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

Okay, thanks ya'll. I was thinking about putting together a Blackguard hybrid and wanted to know if I was locked into their pre-chosen at-wills/encounter power or if I could choose from the wider pool of paladin ones. Guess I am.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Automated Posting posted:

On a note related to that- are essentials hybrid classes locked into the same pre-selected powers the full class gets? The CB says yes, the original dragon article says no... but the article is a playtest, and as far as I know the finalized versions of the e-hybrids weren't published outside of the CB. I was hoping I could use the hybrids to poach class features without having to deal with locked-in powers.

Depends on the Essential. Some are, some aren't.

Automated Posting posted:

Okay, thanks ya'll. I was thinking about putting together a Blackguard hybrid and wanted to know if I was locked into their pre-chosen at-wills/encounter power or if I could choose from the wider pool of paladin ones. Guess I am.

99% sure Blackguards weren't locked in on at-wills and encounter powers, but honestly, the hybrids for those subclasses were a poorly-written afterthought anyway so it could go either way.

It would not be broken for a Blackguard to get Paladin powers.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to be running an irl game, does ddi still have 4e support? I know the character builder is all 5e, but I didn't think to check to see if monster stats and the like could still be accessed.

\/\/\/\/\/Thanks, at least I was able to install the builder without loving it up this time. Still, this would have been nice.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 27, 2015

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
The 4e insider stuff is still available at http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/tools.aspx, including the online character builder.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Be aware that it still uses Silverlight so you know.

Dumb.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

fatherdog posted:

What edition would you suggest?

I mean, this isn't "gently caress YOU 4TH IS THE BEST EDITOIN" but being a wizard with a sword has never really been a particularly good or useful idea in any edition of D&D (somewhat ironically given the existence of Glamdring)

The multiclassed or dual-classed fighter-mage was arguably superior to the vanilla wizard in AD&D, since the wizard had pitifully low HP, the worst saving throws, and no options other than throwing daggers or darts once they used up their paltry number of spells per day. But yeah, a pure wizard (not multiclassed or a swordmage or whatever) wielding a sword is practically wasting their time in just about every edition; even if you get longsword proficiency for free by being an elfadrin or whatever, either you have other, better options available to you, or you're so squishy that you won't last long enough in melee combat for the sword's damage output to make much of a difference. It's good for a security blanket, but not much else.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Moriatti posted:

Be aware that it still uses Silverlight so you know.

Dumb.

omg, what the hell did they do to the character builder? That's completely different and ugly as gently caress!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Soonmot posted:

omg, what the hell did they do to the character builder? That's completely different and ugly as gently caress!

It's also got a fraction of the functionalities, but you can't just pirate this one and have access to all the 4E rules material for free.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's also got a fraction of the functionalities, but you can't just pirate this one and have access to all the 4E rules material for free.
Even before that, most people would just sub for a month to download everything up to that point loaded into their offline CB and cancel again until something cool came out. With the online one, you have to stay subbed to use it at all.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Now I understand. I guess that means we'll just be using my laptop to do character creation 1 at a time.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Now I understand. I guess that means we'll just be using my laptop to do character creation 1 at a time.

You might also look into CBLoader, which modifies the offline CB with the current resources.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Generic Octopus posted:

You might also look into CBLoader, which modifies the offline CB with the current resources.

Oh, I've got that up and running when I got my new laptop. I screwed up installation on my old laptop somehow and it never worked correctly. I might try to power up my much older laptop and see if I can get it to run on there. Everyone else is the group is either going to be new to 4E or RP in general, so the first session is going to be premade characters, a rules demonstration and then character creation.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Soonmot posted:

This is the main reason I stay subbed. (The other is the compendium.)

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
24 hours left on the Wizards of the Coast Forums, so make sure you have everything you want.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I share my password with my friends, something that a group can remember and just let them do it on their own computers.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

LightWarden posted:

24 hours left on the Wizards of the Coast Forums, so make sure you have everything you want.

Is there anything in particular you'd recommend?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is there anything in particular you'd recommend?

The CharOp guides, and any build threads you liked.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Most of the CharOp guides have been transferred over to ENWorld, save for the Hexblade guide which no one particularly cares enough to save.

A bunch of the 3e stuff got ported over to Giant in the Playground forums.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
While more or less all the guides are being transferred over, I don't think anyone has tried to transfer various character builds and such. If there's anything there you really want to remember and keep, save it; that's the stuff that's gonna be lost, along with all the commentary that went with it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I'm running a few old modules as 4e games, as is my want, and I started my IRL group with Keep on The Borderlands, and they bee-lined to the Owlbear and one of them got eaten and is rolling a new character for this next session.

I bring this up to ask you guys these questions:

1) Do you allow player death in your games, and under what circumstances?

2) Do you allow statistically improbable/impossible encounters, and how much do you telegraph them? Do you ever straight up tell the players they are unmatched, or do you let them find out?

I think the answers to these largely boil down to style, but as 4e attracts a certain type of player, I figure I would see what you guys thought.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Someone please save the Necromancer's Handbook, that's been hugely useful for the Skeleton Computer discussions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. I allow player knockouts and player-suffers-significant-setback-from-what-should-have-been-a-death, but I don't really like complete and total death in this edition because of all the baggage it carries.

2. I'm very upfront if a fight isn't something that the players are supposed to win by reducing all enemies to 0 HP.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Moriatti posted:

So I'm running a few old modules as 4e games, as is my want, and I started my IRL group with Keep on The Borderlands, and they bee-lined to the Owlbear and one of them got eaten and is rolling a new character for this next session.

2) Do you allow statistically improbable/impossible encounters, and how much do you telegraph them? Do you ever straight up tell the players they are unmatched, or do you let them find out?

I think the answers to these largely boil down to style, but as 4e attracts a certain type of player, I figure I would see what you guys thought.

Generally speaking, once someone is at zero, I move on to another target, if I one shot them down to negative bloodied, I fudge the number so that they are like 1 above it, and then focus on someone else.

If somehow I TPK, I have that be the end of the session and then next session I have them wake up imprisoned somewhere, or somewhere completely opposite where they were trying to go.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Moriatti posted:

Well, for starters, don't ask us, ask your players.

More generally: permadeath in a game where characters are as mechanically complex as 4E is a terrible idea because it takes a long time to make a character, plus some time to learn how the new one plays. If your players are into RPing, it's also means the character they've developed over however many sessions of slow gameplay (because 4E doesn't play very fast) is gone.

The two solutions are:
a) allow death, but make resurrections free and automatic (it knocks the player out of the game until the party goes back to town, which you should strongly encourage them to do ASAP because sitting out half a session while you wait to be resurrected is poo poo).
b) don't allow death at all (if you drop to 0 you're unconscious and that's that, or if you would "die" you're knocked out until a long rest) except when it's dramatically appropriate and the player explicitly agrees to have their character die because they think it would make for a cool story.

Also, just generally don't go out of your way to attack downed characters.

Don't put encounters in the game that the players flat out can't win, either, because 4E is most fun when you have fun encounters. Make it an encounter with an objective the players need to pull off to make it winnable instead, and make it clear that they can't win if they don't do the objective first.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I publicly "allow" death, BUT, I nudge things to avoid it. That is to say, I fudge dice rolls like crazy to play brinksmanship games with the 0, and I allow plenty of chances for the other players to revive. Saving a downed comrade is pretty entertaining, and can be a good moment. Actually ending a character? Only when the player wants to change characters, which has happened a few times. But everyone knows close calls are much more fun than having to restart.

I also kill off the characters of players who leave the group. That happened every few months-- we had a core group, and a number of floaters that'd pass through. The core group always got a kick out of helping me set up the scenarios to kill them off, as we always talked about it first. We'd keep interesting characters as NPCs, but to my memory, there were only one or two of those.

As for improbable/impossible encounters? I play a pretty rough tactical game, and my players love that... big X-COM fans. I REGULARLY pit them against overwhelming odds, and maybe half the time they surprise me with some awsome out-of-the-box solution and I let them get away with it, and the other half of the time they make up their own victory conditions. If I put them against a "by-the-book fair encounter" they practically sleep through it, so I use those only as "restful" "easy walk-in-the-park" breaks. Any interesting fight will be quite difficult for 'em. But that's my group, YMMV, in fact, it probably will. I feel lucky in that, when it comes to these impossible fights, when they CAN'T think of a solution, they're pretty good at figuring out to run away on their own without me telling them. Heck, sometimes they run away when I personally think the fight is perfectly doable. But again, when they run away, they always find some other victory, like stealing the cultists ritual equipment and using it to infiltrate another cell elsewhere. That sort of thing.

To be honest, my group's fondness for overly difficult combat scenarios might be why it's hard for us to hold on to that 5th player slot for long.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Well, for starters, don't ask us, ask your players.

Oh! Just to be I had a detailed discussion with my players before selecting the modules and updating them about playstyles as to what kind of game they wanted to run. The answer was unanimously "a classic D&D feel, warts and all" , so they are satisfied with the situation currently. I was more asking because I wanted to start a discussion.

As to my own feelings on this:

1) Since 4e is very much about player agency, I allow knockouts. If the opponents are intelligent, the KO'd and non-recovered players are captured. If they are wild beast, the players are given a window to recover the body. (The Priest in The Keep will indeed revive their party member for free the first time, but insist that he go with them in the future. This plays into the module.)

2) I usually either make monsters that are TOO STRONG either super-obvious and avoidable, or a set of skill checks. If the player hadn't sacrificed himself, there would have been a chase sequence. As it was, he had a stealth section that he also failed after the party didn't read the obvious signs of danger in the cave, and he led them to a dangerous situation by lying.

To those of you that don't allow death, what do you do to give players fear of some of the bigger forces? I find that simply knowing that their characters can die means that they rarely do, and usually try to come up with a plan that isn't just "BASH THE DOOR DOWN, KILL THE GOBLINS."
How do you make your villains seem deadly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Moriatti posted:

How do you make your villains seem deadly?

You don't need to. The players roleplay their characters being afraid of death, even though the players know that I'm not going to let their characters die from a random crit or trap.