Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
A shotgun gives you two choices: Shoot a guy, or don't shoot a guy. There's no option for sub-lethal escalation of force. There is value to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A shotgun gives you two choices: Shoot a guy, or don't shoot a guy. There's no option for sub-lethal escalation of force. There is value to that.

Shoot the gun into the air?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Socket bayonets are a thing?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Shotguns are a bad example because of beanbag shells, but I understand your point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kaal posted:

Shotguns are a bad example because of beanbag shells, but I understand your point.

Shotguns are a great example because right now my first shell is buck and I really want a beanbag. Oh, now I have a beanbag but I am pretty sure that the situation is escalating and calling for live ammunition. Oh, now I have three rounds left in the mag and man there are a lot of irritable guys with knives nearby.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Shotguns are a great example because right now my first shell is buck and I really want a beanbag. Oh, now I have a beanbag but I am pretty sure that the situation is escalating and calling for live ammunition. Oh, now I have three rounds left in the mag and man there are a lot of irritable guys with knives nearby.

use the gunboat's gun and machine gun

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Fortunately Uncle Sam in his wisdom equipped your ship with more than one sailor.

Though I suppose back in 1894 it would be John Bull being equipped with a lever-action Remington and birdshot. Whatever, 19th century militaries didn't have much use for less-lethal methods in the first place.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 27, 2015

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can always hit him upside the head with the butt of it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kaal posted:

Fortunately Uncle Sam in his wisdom equipped your ship with more than one sailor.

Though I suppose back in 1894 it would be John Bull being equipped with a lever-action Remington and birdshot. Whatever, 19th century militaries didn't have much use for less-lethal methods in the first place.

An aviso had a crew of about 120-160 and it's not like there were more guys right over the hill.

I agree that the pike was certainly not an optimal solution for all situations, but it was nice to have around for some specific situations, so it makes sense that people spent time effort and a marginal amount of money on them in the late colonial era. Keep in mind this is the point in time when rifles were issued with magazine cutoffs to prevent the troops from wasting ammunition.

Agean90 posted:

you can always hit him upside the head with the butt of it

Hitting a guy with a pike is even better!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the only thing a pike can do is stab a dude, wheres as a shotgun with a bayonet can do all that and carry a flashlight

your move :colbert:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
you could probably find a way to put a flashlight on a pike if you really wanted to

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koramei posted:

you could probably find a way to put a flashlight on a pike if you really wanted to
yeah you duct tape it to the thing, it's like you're not even trying

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Pike with rail system for laser sight and optics. You have to be accurate with the things.

I mean a laser sight would actually sort of make sense and tell you where exactly you're aiming your pike in a confused battle.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

yeah you duct tape it to the thing, it's like you're not even trying

If we're going to cheat and use duct tape you can just tape the pike to the shotgun

that way you stab someone everytime you pump another round in!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ArchangeI posted:

Pike with rail system for laser sight and optics. You have to be accurate with the things.

I mean a laser sight would actually sort of make sense and tell you where exactly you're aiming your pike in a confused battle.

Now imagine a pike formation in which everyone has one. :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

my dad posted:

Now imagine a pike formation in which everyone has one. :v:

You can always use those laser pointers with a filter that projects a rude image.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Every once in a while GiP's picture thread delivers.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Oh man hosed up my jordans #TRENCHFOOT #MCDBFASTALLDAY #KAISERISMYBAE

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Does anybody smell almonds? #GETSOMME

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

I got in poo poo with the Russian government for writing how old tanks were built, sounds pretty dangerous to me.

Forgive me if you've already answered, but can you elaborate on this? Totally cool if not but I have to admit this left me curious.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
a modern pike for a modern war

which reminds me, some of the pictures are here
http://www.slagomgrolle.nl

1,400 reenactors, and we drilled all together twice. the commands went out in english and german and then the lower officers picked them up in the language each group spoke, so after each one you'd get a delayed chorus in italian, spanish, french, czech, polish, dutch, etc.

so i have now stood in the middle of a ~thousand strong battalion of pike and shot

edit: i'm not sure if the choice of main languages was because everyone thought that the dutch probably knew english, or if they thought that the english didn't know anything else

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 27, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

a modern pike for a modern war

which reminds me, some of the pictures are here
http://www.slagomgrolle.nl

1,400 reenactors, and we drilled all together twice. the commands went out in english and german and then the lower officers picked them up in the language each group spoke, so after each one you'd get a delayed chorus in italian, spanish, french, czech, polish, dutch, etc.

so i have now stood in the middle of a ~thousand strong battalion of pike and shot

Given how cosmopolitan your guys are, wouldn't that be about how it went down in reality too?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

Given how cosmopolitan your guys are, wouldn't that be about how it went down in reality too?
probably, except maurice of nassau gave them in latin too in his book lol

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

not my real name posted:

Forgive me if you've already answered, but can you elaborate on this? Totally cool if not but I have to admit this left me curious.

They took issue with some stuff I wrote in my blog, but since neither I nor my content was within Russian jurisdiction, it didn't really amount to much.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

They took issue with some stuff I wrote in my blog, but since neither I nor my content was within Russian jurisdiction, it didn't really amount to much.

It's okay, you can tell us that you made a blog post about which Russian tank is best for a gay orgy.

It's the T-62 isn't it. So roomy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

It's okay, you can tell us that you made a blog post about which Russian tank is best for a gay orgy.

It's the T-62 isn't it. So roomy.

It's the IS-2 I think.

Look at that turret, there's standing room there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slavvy posted:

It's the IS-2 I think.

I want to say that's the KV-2 unless there was a secret IS-2 with that fuckoff howitzer, but you aren't too far off since the IS line is what became of the KV line once Mr. Voroshilov fell out of favor and everyone realized tanks worked best when capable of outrunning infantry.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Slavvy posted:

It's the KV-2 I think.

Off to the mines with you

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Koramei posted:

The only thing I know for certain is that someone at some point used it to pantomime a cock

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

I want to say that's the KV-2 unless there was a secret IS-2 with that fuckoff howitzer, but you aren't too far off since the IS line is what became of the KV line once Mr. Voroshilov fell out of favor and everyone realized tanks worked best when capable of outrunning infantry.

You're in luck!

It's a movie prop

As for best orgy tank, I have documental evidence of 16 men in an M3 Lee working the cannons if you know what I mean.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Frostwerks posted:

The only thing I know for certain is that someone at some point used it to pantomime a cock

Honestly I strongly suspect this, when the first piece of sharpened flint was attached to the first whittled stick at the dawn of man, the 3rd or 4th person to get their hand on it did such a thing.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Well, as long as we're talking about crazy British stuff. Here's what happened when a bored aristocrat got his friends to dress in blackface to help him pretend to be the emperor of Abyssinia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_hoax

Virginia Woolf posted:

In those days the young officers had a gay time. They were always up to some lark; and one of their chief occupations it seemed was to play jokes on each other. There were a great many rivalries and intrigues in the navy. The officers like scoring off each other. And the officers of the Hawke and the Dreadnought had a feud. ... And Cole's friend who was on the Hawke had come to Cole, and said to him, 'You're a great hand at hoaxing people; couldn't you do something to pull the leg of the Dreadnought?

quote:

This involved Cole and five friends—writer Virginia Stephen (later Virginia Woolf), her brother Adrian Stephen, Guy Ridley, Anthony Buxton and artist Duncan Grant—who had themselves disguised by the theatrical costumier Willy Clarkson[5] with skin darkeners and turbans to resemble members of the Abyssinian royal family. The main limitation of the disguises was that the "royals" could not eat anything or their make-up would be ruined. Adrian Stephen took the role of "interpreter".

quote:

....In Weymouth, the navy welcomed the princes with an honour guard. An Abyssinian flag was not found, so the navy proceeded to use that of Zanzibar and to play Zanzibar's national anthem.

The group inspected the fleet. To show their appreciation, they communicated in a gibberish of words drawn from Latin and Greek; they asked for prayer mats and attempted to bestow fake military honours on some of the officers. Commander Fisher failed to recognise either of his cousins.

quote:

During the visit to Dreadnought, the visitors had repeatedly shown amazement or appreciation by exclaiming "Bunga Bunga!". In 1915 during the First World War, HMS Dreadnought rammed and sank a German submarine—the only battleship ever to do so. Among the telegrams of congratulation was one that read "BUNGA BUNGA"

Also, Virginia Woolf is the person on the far left of both photo's.

Griz
May 21, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I agree that the pike was certainly not an optimal solution for all situations, but it was nice to have around for some specific situations, so it makes sense that people spent time effort and a marginal amount of money on them in the late colonial era.

it probably didn't require that much time/effort considering that a boat hook is basically a half-pike with a different head so every ship would have a lot of dudes with at least a basic familiarity with polearm handling.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's always funny when people forget that Ethiopians are Christians and don't use prayer mats.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Phobophilia posted:

It's always funny when people forget that Ethiopians are Christians and don't use prayer mats.

Ethiopians are Christian as all hell, no less. Like, old-school eschatological Christians from before the Roman Empire went Christian. You don't get more Christian than that.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Phobophilia posted:

What's really funny is when Coptic christians nearly get lynched protesting the ground zero islamic centre because they are brown and from egypt.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Enjoy your cup of Polonium tea.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
lots of cav out there
http://live.slagomgrolle.nl/fotos-slag-om-grolle-25-oktober-2015/
the guys in buff coats with the bright blue sashes caracoled at us on saturday: the first one in line tried to fire at me and failed, the second one in line tried to fire at me and failed, and then the third one's pistol went off

eat poo poo, cav havers

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

HEY GAL posted:

lots of cav out there
http://live.slagomgrolle.nl/fotos-slag-om-grolle-25-oktober-2015/
the guys in buff coats with the bright blue sashes caracoled at us on saturday: the first one in line tried to fire at me and failed, the second one in line tried to fire at me and failed, and then the third one's pistol went off

eat poo poo, cav havers

Have your guys discovered volley fire yet, or do they just shoot at random?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

Have your guys discovered volley fire yet, or do they just shoot at random?

the "salvee," "salva" or "salvo" is the new hotness, but I wonder if its impact is more psychological than physical.

more photos
http://live.slagomgrolle.nl/fotos-slag-om-grolle-24-oktober-2015/

these dudes owned

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Firing all at once in a mass volley/salvo/whatever is absolutely psychological, which is why it's so much more effective than everybody just taking potshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Endman posted:

Firing all at once in a mass volley/salvo/whatever is absolutely psychological, which is why it's so much more effective than everybody just taking potshots.

Before smokeless powder it is significantly more accurate than letting guys do their own thing.

• Locked thread