Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Veskit posted:

What are my options for cooking a Pikes Peak Roast besides a pot roast?

Chili, boeuf bourguignon, carbonadde? Anywhere you could use any other slow cooking cut should work with that cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Chili, boeuf bourguignon, carbonadde? Anywhere you could use any other slow cooking cut should work with that cut.

Never heard of carbonnade until now. That cut is now reserved for that thank you! If you have a preferred recipe let me know I'll try it out.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Can hand/immersion blenders handle ice? Like can I make a huge Booster Juice style smoothy with just a hand blender or no?

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Anyone got a decent boozy eggnog recipe I can make? I'm going to buy some swing top bottles so I can just use those to store it in the month and a bit until christmas.

I do have archives, so if anyone still has one of the links to the old eggnog threads that'd be great.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PleasureKevin posted:

Can hand/immersion blenders handle ice? Like can I make a huge Booster Juice style smoothy with just a hand blender or no?

Probably not too well. Even if the blades and motor can take it, it will also be hard to get the ice into the blades.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Renzuko posted:

Anyone got a decent boozy eggnog recipe I can make? I'm going to buy some swing top bottles so I can just use those to store it in the month and a bit until christmas.

I do have archives, so if anyone still has one of the links to the old eggnog threads that'd be great.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Safety Dance posted:

Mashed pumpkin innards. They don't smell off, but they've sat in the fridge for a little bit and have started to take on that lightly carbonated flavor. Will a pie made from the same make people ill?

Throw it out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

dino. posted:

Throw it out.

Too late. Probably about two hours until we know for sure, but signs are looking good that the pie did not make me sick.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

PleasureKevin posted:

Not on it's own, but if you bash the ice up in a bag with a rolling pin first, it should be fine.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
I just baked a bunch of tilapia for my lunches this week. How long is too long to keep them in the fridge before I eat 'em? I made enough for 5 meals.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I bought some fresh basil that's probably going to go bad soon, so I want to dry it out for later use. What's the best way to go about it, just put it on a baking sheet and heat it in the oven for a little bit?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Not sure it's worth the effort considering how cheap dried basil is

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Dried basil is really bad, almost no flavor. I would freeze it. Mince it finely, then add it to an ice cube tray with a bit of water. Another option is preserving it in oil, like minced garlic.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

Not sure it's worth the effort considering how cheap dried basil is

You're not wrong, plus the bunch I bought was really cheap as well, I just hate throwing food away without making an effort to salvage it.

The oil preserving sounds like a good idea, especially since I would likely be using it in a pasta sauce or something similar down the line. Just mince it up, disperse it in oil, and seal it up?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

C-Euro posted:

You're not wrong, plus the bunch I bought was really cheap as well, I just hate throwing food away without making an effort to salvage it.

The oil preserving sounds like a good idea, especially since I would likely be using it in a pasta sauce or something similar down the line. Just mince it up, disperse it in oil, and seal it up?

Yeah. Make pesto without the pine nuts. Keep it in a jar, so you can just add a spoonful to stuff.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I have a couple of these for things like that. If I have extra herbs I mix them up with enough oil to make a solid frozen thing and freeze them in that. I also buy greek yogurt in huge tubs and if I have any extra before the 5-day mark I put it in a tray and freeze cubes for smoothies. If I have extra lemon after squeezing out the juice I chop it up, add vinegar, and freeze cubes for garbage disposal fresheners. I like the ones I linked because they have a little ridge so you can just dump stuff in, run a spatula over it to push it into the holes, and freeze it without spilling too much.

Also if you have leftover fruit you can blend it up and put it in trays. Then add a few cubes to soda water or cocktails. My freezer is like 50% unmarked bags of various colored cubes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just eat the basil as garnish, or put it on a sandwich, or in a cocktail, or whatever.

I have never ever had the problem of having to use it up. Rather, I've never ever had enough. I could have 40 acres of it behind my house and I would never have enough for everything I want to do with it.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

detectivemonkey posted:

My freezer is like 50% unmarked bags of various colored cubes.

6 months later: "Hmm, is this blueberry, or Windex?"

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Basil is nice in salads. Just toss it in there.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

Instead of adding frozen water to your smoothies, try freezing your fruit!

Same thing for iced coffee, use cubes of frozen coffee instead of water.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

pile of brown posted:

If you don't cold brew your coffee, gently caress off? Because seriously, cold brew is best.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What if you only drink hot black coffee because the idea of cold coffee makes you nauseous? Is it OK to brew your coffee in the non-wanky way?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah man, nothing wrong with hot coffee. I use my french press every day, and I love it.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Scientastic posted:

What if you only drink hot black coffee because the idea of cold coffee makes you nauseous? Is it OK to brew your coffee in the non-wanky way?

But you don't drink cold brew cold? You brew it cold to make a concentrate and then add hot water to make hot coffee.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's called an Americano, and is better hot.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Scientastic posted:

Can't stand hot coffee, so gross. Cold brew also has more caffeine, and more of that sweet, sweet nectar is what I need.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Semprini posted:

But you don't drink cold brew cold? You brew it cold to make a concentrate and then add hot water to make hot coffee.

I drink cold brew cold.... and so does everyone I know?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

oTHi posted:

6 months later: "Hmm, is this blueberry, or Windex?"

I realized the error of my ways when I watched my husband almost put a cube of tomato paste in water.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I also drink cold brew cold and have never once used the concentrate to make it hot. If I want hot coffee I just brew hot coffee....

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I bring cold brew to work and add hot water so I can leave my Chemex at home.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

I do it all the time but:
a. I have a plug-in blender, not a battery-powered or rechargeable kind,
b. I'm probably dulling the blades and will burn out the motor eventually,
c. and I use fairly small ice cubes and it takes a little finesse.

pile of brown posted:

Instead of adding frozen water to your smoothies, try freezing your fruit!

This too. I try to always have some sliced banana, if not other fruits and berries, in the freezer for smoothening.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I don't know why you can't put coffee cubes in cold brew coffee, or freeze them, but whatever.

Also if you live in a place with roadside fruit stands a lot of them will sell "jam fruit" that is a little bruised or blemished and you should just freeze a poo poo load of it for the rest of the year.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I made this recipe last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCknnSo6djI

The chicken was tough and didn't get the color he had in the recipe. I'm thinking I need to cut it thinner, because it was thicker than I expected after cooking. Is the toughness likely overcooking?

I also used garlic powder because I was out of actual garlic. I'll probably get some before I make it again.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I make 20oz of french press coffee in the morning, drink 10oz hot, put the rest in the fridge. Drink 10oz over ice with creamer cold in the afternoon. I'm not super picky about coffee (though I understand why some people are!), so this works for my unrefined palate.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Can I use masa in place of corn starch as a thickening agent?

Specifically, I'm making a taco seasoning for ground beef. I Google around and some people say I can sub masa for corn starch, other places say use it like flour and make a roux.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 27, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Either over cooking or just lovely chicken. The way that video was cut/shot made it look like he cooked the chicken too long, if in doubt you can always seperate the ingredients more and cook the chicken alone until done then do the rest. That's how most stir fry recipes are done.

I don't think corn flour will make a roux like wheat flour does but I've never tried. I don't know why your taco seasoning even includes a thickener though that seems unnecessary.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 27, 2015

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

PleasureKevin posted:

Like Very Strange Things said, it depends on the blender. I blend ice with mine all the time and it seems quite happy doing it. I've had it for over a year and no issues yet. Replacement blades are like $12 for mine so I'm not really worried if it eventually dulls. I will be so sad if I ever have to part ways with my Bamix. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I have a bunch of anchovies that I de-boned and froze a while ago that I need to use up. I've been putting them on pizza and with pasta, but I've got quite a few left to use and I need ideas beyond what I've done or simply dredging and frying them. Thoughts?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I made this recipe last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCknnSo6djI

The chicken was tough and didn't get the color he had in the recipe. I'm thinking I need to cut it thinner, because it was thicker than I expected after cooking. Is the toughness likely overcooking?

I also used garlic powder because I was out of actual garlic. I'll probably get some before I make it again.

Yeah, you didn't get colour (and probably overcooked it - stewing in it's own liquid), because your pan most likely wasn't hot enough for your lo-mein.
I have the same problem with my lovely range/hotplates.
I always cook the meat in small batches, separate. Get them browned but not fully cooked meat aside in a bowl.
Then start the garlic/ginger and veg stirfry (which again, may take a while to cook, and release water in a not hot enough pan on a lovely range).
After that, add sauce and/or stock and shoaxing wine, reduce (I prefer dark soy sauce with mushroom flavour over light soy for the cooking part)
Then near the end, return chicken to pan.
Add noodles if making lo-mein, finish with a dash of light soy and maybe sesame oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have a bunch of anchovies that I de-boned and froze a while ago that I need to use up. I've been putting them on pizza and with pasta, but I've got quite a few left to use and I need ideas beyond what I've done or simply dredging and frying them. Thoughts?

I like them in a tapenade.