Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Humbaba posted:

After playing artillery in WoT a while back, I was excited to try carriers in WoWs, so I picked up a Hosho last week. While I'm still pretty bad with my torpedo planes, what's really getting to me is how dreadful my fighters are. If I have them engage a single squadron from a Langley, I usually lose all my fighters while the other squadron loses none. The 6 v 4 is terrible. And once my fighters are gone, my torpedo bombers are defenseless. It only gets worse when I get up against a Bogue and there are two fighter squadrons to maul my one. Does this get any better for Japanese carriers further down the tree?

The captain skill that buffs slow fighters helps close the gap. Otherwise, having your fighters outclassed just means you have to play defensively, engaging enemy aircraft within the reach of friendly AA. Tier 3 and 4 Boats have poo poo AA, but at 5+ you start seeing ships that can reliably kill birds.

High tier carriers also start carrying a lot more spare aircraft, so you won't be left helpless after two bad runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ReapersTouch posted:

hey cool, you cant sell a ship without removing any mounted upgrade.

When selling your ship, there should be a tab on the option to demount, switch that to "sell" instead. You get back ~50% the cost of the mounted upgrade.
I figured out that if you had mounted poo poo to the free russian and german ships that were handed out earlier, they were demounted and put in your storage for free. Not bad.

Edit: Also note that you can only "Sell" a mounted upgrade with the ship. If you wish to remove it without selling the ship, you must instead "Destroy" the mount in your upgrades tab. You obviously get nothing back if you Destroy a mounted upgrade.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 25, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, sometimes everything just comes together perfectly and you murder an entire team by yourself. All the cruisers nicely showing me their broadsides at <10km certainly helped.

(+Colorado, Aoba & New York)

A volley of shells about to net me my 8th kill(the carrier) was about two seconds from impacting when the round ended.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Caption: Are we just going to leave that there or is someone painting over that?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Am I a terrible human being for laughing out loud at this?

demonR6 posted:

Caption: Are we just going to leave that there or is someone painting over that?

I honestly hope they left it like that and turned this ship into a museum. That is something I want to see IRL before I die.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Scrapped in 1950. :smith:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

So the max AP damage listed on the Kolberg guns seems nice, but it can't penetrate the flat side of a Phoenix at 500 meters so there's no point to using anything but HE. :sigh:

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Gnevny is a fun DD. I love hunting down and clubbing DDs to death. All you have to do is trick IJN DDs into launching their torps and then it's over for them. And if you do that, they're also using torps on you rather than on a BB on your team.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

El Disco posted:

So the max AP damage listed on the Kolberg guns seems nice, but it can't penetrate the flat side of a Phoenix at 500 meters so there's no point to using anything but HE. :sigh:

The tier 4 can't penetrate a Phoenix either.
You can try shooting the bow or stern with AP, since cruisers don't have any armor there and the WWI Germans don't over penetrate. Otherwise enjoy it while it lasts: at least it looks cool when you hold left click, the tier 4 doesn't even get that.

Königsberg is good though, my first match in it I did double my Karlsruhe maximum damage.

Edit: Also every carrier player has a massive boner for Karlsruhes and will target you over tier 6 battleships and carriers. You cannot dodge torpedo bombers in it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Dalael posted:

Am I a terrible human being for laughing out loud at this?

I honestly hope they left it like that and turned this ship into a museum. That is something I want to see IRL before I die.

Yeah here's what happened to the last guy who tried to crash their plane into our ship..

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Finished Shattered Sword. A good read, but also a grim one.

I'm kind of sad nobody's gone back to search for the Japanese carrier wrecks.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

Finished Shattered Sword. A good read, but also a grim one.

I'm kind of sad nobody's gone back to search for the Japanese carrier wrecks.

http://nauticos.com/ocean-discovery/midway/

Apparently they found at least some parts of Kaga. I wouldn't be surprised if they would find and identify more in the future, considering the wreck of the Yamato-class Musashi was only found this year (http://musashi.paulallen.com/)

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

The chunk of Kaga is old news. Old enough that it's in the book.

I want to see some hulls, dammit.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I'm not entirely sure if Wargaming actually thought that the Yorck was a capable ship at tier 7, or they just wanted to effectively force people to either buy gold and get past it, or grind yourself to insanity.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Fergus posted:

I'm not entirely sure if Wargaming actually thought that the Yorck was a capable ship at tier 7, or they just wanted to effectively force people to either buy gold and get past it, or grind yourself to insanity.

A lot of the German cruisers seem to be out-classed at their tier by the US and IJN ships. Playing them is going to be a real slog until they eventually get buffed a year from now.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I eagerly await the German ships being buffed into hateful nazi hellbricks made of top quality Krupp Stahl steel.

Lol no they're going to buff the Russian tree beyond all reason before they do anything to German ships

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

orange juche posted:

I eagerly await the German ships being buffed into hateful nazi hellbricks made of top quality Krupp Stahl steel.

Lol no they're going to buff the Russian tree beyond all reason before they do anything to German ships

German ships being buffed in a year leaves plenty of time to buff the Russian ones before then. :colbert:

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
So I've always been a BB player, and just recently started playing cruisers. I decided I want to try the Russian destroyer line, and I was curious how to do that thing where you fire without being detected? What is the technique behind it? How far past my concealment range do I need to be for that to work?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^ I would love an answer to this. I am a good BB captain but for the life of me I cannot get one kill in the Derpski.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So what's the best choice for the Soviet destroyer level 2 captain skill? Seems like turret rotation speed is the best choice early when the guns spin Japanese style and the torpedoes are utter garbage, but not so much for the late tiers when the guns spin fast on their own and the torpedoes actually get some range.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fergus posted:

So I've always been a BB player, and just recently started playing cruisers. I decided I want to try the Russian destroyer line, and I was curious how to do that thing where you fire without being detected? What is the technique behind it? How far past my concealment range do I need to be for that to work?

It's 6 km for the 130 mm guns, I think less for the 102 mm guns but I'm not sure of the distance. You can also hide behind terrain and fire over it, or park in the middle of a smoke cloud.

In the low tier destroyers I go straight into the biggest clump of islands and try to shoot my torpedoes around the corners. Also pick out players that aren't looking at you, and shoot them while driving into torpedo range.
Spreading your torpedoes out doesn't work, because the tier 2-4 torpedoes do gently caress all damage. Just shoot them all in the same spot and hope you hit, it's hard not to at that range.

NTRabbit posted:

So what's the best choice for the Soviet destroyer level 2 captain skill? Seems like turret rotation speed is the best choice early when the guns spin Japanese style and the torpedoes are utter garbage, but not so much for the late tiers when the guns spin fast on their own and the torpedoes actually get some range.
I picked turret rotation anyway, I doubt 10% faster torpedo loading would make that much difference on dedicated gunboats.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

orange juche posted:

Explain the Waffenträger auf E-100.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Asehujiko posted:

Explain the Waffenträger auf E-100.

It didn't need buffing, they made it go live as a hateful nazi hellbrick, despite repeteadly being told by Supertesters, and then regular testers how massive a mistake they were making

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Fergus posted:

I've had a lot of fun and great games in Russian DDs - the major strengths are in DPM and gun range so play to that (chance to fire seems higher?). The weakness, beyond torp range, is they seem to bleed a lot more speed in turns.

Generally charge at the enemy early and make contact first. Open fire on slow-to-traverse or high arc targets at max range. Your DPM/flatness along with your small size means you'll get far more shots on target than they will. If you keep hovering in and out of max range, you'll not only be in and out of visibility but also far more difficult to hit as you can watch where shells are going with time to move.

Keep moving and firing at red boats at max range till late game. Then, as makes sense, ambush distracted BBs and CL/CAs. You can do this with torps or AP. e.g. there was a t7 game where a half-health Nagato was running away from half-heath Myoko. I intercepted the Myoko at <5 km and put several citadels in three volleys and killed him without him ever having taking a shot at me. He would have been too fast at too far of a range for me to close in on reasonably, AP made far more sense for his thin IJN skin.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Breaking news, there is a witch flying around in port.
EDIT:

TSBX fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 26, 2015

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Whats the better skills to have for DD captain? I currently got Situation Awareness, Torpedo Armament Expertise, Vigilance, and 4 points saved up.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ReapersTouch posted:

Whats the better skills to have for DD captain? I currently got Situation Awareness, Torpedo Armament Expertise, Vigilance, and 4 points saved up.

Depends. US DDs can attempt stealth firing tactics, which requires Advanced Firing Training at Rank 4. Otherwise, the best 4 skill for DDs (all DDs) is Last Stand. Massive reduction in the penalties applied by rudder/engine damage, which is EXTREMELY common in DDs and also typically an insta-damage control or death if you don't have Last Stand.

For Rank 3, I'd recommend Superintendent for US DDs atm, and its still good for IJN and RUS DDs as well. Vigilance may or may not actually be doing what its saying completely... I've heard rumors floating around regarding it. High Alert is... not really that great for a DD, especially if you're already packing Last Stand (or intend to take it).

Torp Armament Expertise is great for all DDs, and AIming Expert falls off pretty fast for US DDs and only a bit later for the RUS DDs. IJN DDs can make use of it at all tiers (but you really should have Torpedo Expertise first!).

Basic Firing Training increase your RPM by 10% on all DDs, for 1 point. Also a tiny boost to your AA effectiveness... HA!

My recommendation: Last Stand, or Advanced Firing Training if you're using a US DD and want to try stealth firing, or a RUS DD and want the extra range over survivability and dueling power. If you don't take Last Stand, you WILL lose many duels to DDs with it. Bear that in mind.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Note that if you're thinking of going the AFT/stealth firing route, US DDs' guns make the Cleveland's feel like laser beams so I hope you're prescient.

I am still mad at my Farragut, yes.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 26, 2015

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Thanks. Forgot to mention it was for a IJN commander, but I'll use the info for my USA captains also

ReapersTouch fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 26, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

In a tier IV domination game, my team managed to lose in 3 minutes and 30 seconds because 5 of them thought torpedoes were delicious candy. One of those was a TK. Didn't get to fire a shot. :cripes:

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Fergus posted:

They just heavily nerfed this, so basically you need Advanced Firing Training, and then shoot at maximum range. Even then you probably don't have much margin to stay stealthed. Of course at max range your accuracy will be middling because of long travel time.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I'm a masochist, so I toiled through the grind on Karl to get the Königsberg.

It is amazing.

It feels like a mini-Cleveland with lots of torps instead of god-AA.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Pseudophile posted:

I'm a masochist, so I toiled through the grind on Karl to get the Königsberg.

It is amazing.

It feels like a mini-Cleveland with lots of torps instead of god-AA.

I think that you'll find that even a masochist will be pushed past their limits with the Yorck. Enjoy the Konigsberg and Nurnberg while you can :cry:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Fergus posted:

I think that you'll find that even a masochist will be pushed past their limits with the Yorck. Enjoy the Konigsberg and Nurnberg while you can :cry:

I haven't played Yorck yet and I feel pretty authoritative in saying it's at least twice as good (tier for tier or overall, take your pick) as Karlsruhe.

Is it just the 51 second turret rotation and typically low armor, or does it have other hilarious weaknesses?

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

James Garfield posted:

I haven't played Yorck yet and I feel pretty authoritative in saying it's at least twice as good (tier for tier or overall, take your pick) as Karlsruhe.

Is it just the 51 second turret rotation and typically low armor, or does it have other hilarious weaknesses?

Well it has the largest guns of any cruiser in the game, with pretty lackluster HE. The ap CAN do awesome damage, if you face cruisers dumb enough to go broadside with you within 10 km. It's got good range, but that doesn't mean much because it's got a shell trajectory that feels pretty similar to the Cleveland's. It's just a ship with no real strengths, and many weaknesses.

And it's not really the badness of the ship that will test your true inner masochist, it's the fact that you have to grind ~130k xp with said bad ship.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I did it. I destroyed the Phantom Fortress:

It was nice to be on the team with the guaranteed win

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I did it. I destroyed the Phantom Fortress:

It was nice to be on the team with the guaranteed win

Top picture says 40 AP shell hits, 39 penetrations.
Last picture says 38 target hits.

Does that mean you can hit a ship twice with one shell? Like through both turrets, or a turret and the superstructure?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Kolberg is a strong candidate for worst ship in the game

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Dunno-Lars posted:

Top picture says 40 AP shell hits, 39 penetrations.
Last picture says 38 target hits.

Does that mean you can hit a ship twice with one shell? Like through both turrets, or a turret and the superstructure?

38 hits and two Citadels. Citadel hits get a separate ribbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

The Kolberg is a strong candidate for worst ship in the game

Just wait till you try the Karlsruhe.

8 poo poo guns that have no hope of penning anything
11km maximum range
28 kts top speed
As much survivability as a phoenix
Useless torpedoes