Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Nessus posted:

Do these clowns really want to associate themselves with the chaotic horrors of the universe, really

"However else it is possible to divide Western thinking, one fissure can be teased-open separating the theo-humanists—croaking together in the cramped and malodorous pond of Anthropos—from the wild beasts of the impersonal. The former are characterized by their moral fervour, parochialism, earnestness, phenomenological disposition, and Aborting the human race sympathy for folk superstition, the latter by their fatalism, atheism, strangely reptilian exuberance, and extreme sensitivity for what is icy, savage, and alien to mankind." - Nick Land

Admittedly before his explicit turn to fascism, but he hasn't changed as much as some people might like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Evil will always win, because Good is dumb.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BoycottAssassinsCreed&src=typd

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ArchangeI posted:

The act of thinking something progressives don't like. Calling it crimethink instantly puts the reactionary on the moral highground because he declares himself prosecuted before anything happens. It's a classic tactic. See also "99% of you won't be brave enough to share this horribly racist article on facebook!!!!!"

i thought he meant the insane punk rock anarchist idea of living via petty theft and scrounging and knowin the One Weird Tricks of the world

but on purpose

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This one is actually really funny if you scroll down far enough, because the exact same hashtag was used two years ago to complain that Assassin Creed 3 didn't work, and the language used really hasn't changed much. So you have like thirty tweets by incredibly self-important gamers about Marx being Hitler, then two dozen more from some incredibly self-important gamer about how gamers are the true shareholders of ubisoft and they're being robbed. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Wow, do they understand what marxism is?...

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

"It's bad" is as far as their understanding usually goes.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
- video games where you play the Wehrmacht, a plague that will murder every single human being in the world, the king of the undead who wishes to destroy every living being, gang warfare leaders, sociopathic rampage killers, or actually literally Stalin: it's okay man, we can separate fact from fiction.
- video game where you can meet the guy whose idea that it's maybe not so cool that 14 year old boys are breaking their backs working the coal mines for the ruling rich partially inspired Stalin: THE OUTRAGE, THIS IS A SCANDAL, I AM BEING BRAIN WASHED INTO MASS MURDERER SUPPORT, BOYCOTT THIS

Can Scott or Clark Hat please write something to explain to me how this totally makes sense?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pierson posted:

Marx being Hitler
Ha, you're using Hitler to mean "the worst person" here, but actually, Marx was worse than Hitler because the Khmer Rogue plus the cultural revolution plus the Holodomor killed more people, especially if you consider the Holocaust never happened.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pierson posted:

This one is actually really funny if you scroll down far enough, because the exact same hashtag was used two years ago to complain that Assassin Creed 3 didn't work, and the language used really hasn't changed much. So you have like thirty tweets by incredibly self-important gamers about Marx being Hitler, then two dozen more from some incredibly self-important gamer about how gamers are the true shareholders of ubisoft and they're being robbed. The more things change the more they stay the same.
I thought the hashtag came from Unity having game breaking bugs, lovely business practices, and laughable excuses for having no playable women characters.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cingulate posted:

- video games where you play the Wehrmacht, a plague that will murder every single human being in the world, the king of the undead who wishes to destroy every living being, gang warfare leaders, sociopathic rampage killers, or actually literally Stalin: it's okay man, we can separate fact from fiction.
- video game where you can meet the guy whose idea that it's maybe not so cool that 14 year old boys are breaking their backs working the coal mines for the ruling rich partially inspired Stalin: THE OUTRAGE, THIS IS A SCANDAL, I AM BEING BRAIN WASHED INTO MASS MURDERER SUPPORT, BOYCOTT THIS

Can Scott or Clark Hat please write something to explain to me how this totally makes sense?

Devil's advocate mode, on!

In something like Pandemic 2, or a WWII strategy (not FPS) game, you don't meaningfully emotionally identify with the protagonist and the things he/she/it does. The king of the undead is totally disconnected from reality. Games where the protagonist is a gang leader or serial killer are the least defensible, but in that case there's a difference of scale, and support for serial killers as a political ideology is even more marginal than communism.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

If you're saying that playing a video game wherein the protagonist mass-murders thousands and emotionally identifying with and even moral supporting him are one in the same, then I have so many moral sins to answer for :ohdear:.

Perhaps the real message here is that any message you take away from a video game/book/movie/any piece of media is whatever you make of it. I mean, you can totally read The Animal Farm and walk away thinking its an interesting and somewhat quirky story about farm animals if you'd like. I could sit down and torture myself by watching Christian films, and take away the message that people who direct these things ought to be shot.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Games like Civilization have genocide as a win state and these people don't object to it so I'm not really sure what their problem is here.

More seriously, though, the Errant Signal piece on the assumptions built into Civ games is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBlEscMLjy0

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Silver2195 posted:

Devil's advocate mode, on!

In something like Pandemic 2, or a WWII strategy (not FPS) game, you don't meaningfully emotionally identify with the protagonist and the things he/she/it does. The king of the undead is totally disconnected from reality. Games where the protagonist is a gang leader or serial killer are the least defensible, but in that case there's a difference of scale, and support for serial killers as a political ideology is even more marginal than communism.
I don't even think you've made a coherent point so far. I've literally played Stalin's top general in C&C Red Alert, and Wehrmacht generals in CoH. At least the latter was a much more realistic scenario than the steam punk it seems Assassins' Creed is, and then there's a bit of a difference between literally leading the army that literally murdered 10 or so million Eastern Europeans, and doing one hit job for the guy whose philosophy was partially cited in support of Stalinism.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heresiarch posted:

Games like Civilization have genocide as a win state and these people don't object to it so I'm not really sure what their problem is here.

More seriously, though, the Errant Signal piece on the assumptions built into Civ games is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBlEscMLjy0
In Colonization, you can choose to lead a slave state USA.
It's p. good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cingulate posted:

I don't even think you've made a coherent point so far. I've literally played Stalin's top general in C&C Red Alert, and Wehrmacht generals in CoH. At least the latter was a much more realistic scenario than the steam punk it seems Assassins' Creed is, and then there's a bit of a difference between literally leading the army that literally murdered 10 or so million Eastern Europeans, and doing one hit job for the guy whose philosophy was partially cited in support of Stalinism.
So wait, is all this angst because Karl Marx gives you a mission in Assassin's Creed?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nessus posted:

So wait, is all this angst because Karl Marx gives you a mission in Assassin's Creed?

Most of it. The rest is right-wing people being mad about Assassin's Creed for even less sensible reasons.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

Most of it. The rest is right-wing people being mad about Assassin's Creed for even less sensible reasons.
Engels is the one who pays you for it, right?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So because you think they might agree with someone's politics, they are therefore GGers? I thought this thread was for making fun of paranoid nerds.
It's more like making fun of someone because they keep posting about how Obama really is a secret muslim, he's totally taqiyya-ing America guys.

Nessus posted:

Silver2195 posted:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm not sure these guys would particularly enjoy the dick-measuring contest if we compared to capitalism or colonialism. Maybe we can agree that mistakes were made, and admire Marx for his impressive beard.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
All the people colonialism and capitalism killed had it coming, you see. Pretend I posted the Rand bit about genociding Native Americans, I'm phone posting and lazy as gently caress.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

I'm not sure these guys would particularly enjoy the dick-measuring contest if we compared to capitalism or colonialism. Maybe we can agree that mistakes were made, and admire Marx for his impressive beard.
Marx was kinda racist tho

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Guys I'm losing track. What actually is the difference between NRx and extreme contemporary libertarianism?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

Guys I'm losing track. What actually is the difference between NRx and extreme contemporary libertarianism?

Avatars of old dead guys and use of the word "prog"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Your avatar is actually a picture of a Prig-Prog, a creature from Lewis Carroll's poem The Jabberwocky. It eats babies and collects taxes.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Hasn't a secondary point of every assassin's creed game been to place people into the moral ambiguity of the era, and actually show just a little real history?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Matt Forney is the perfect representative of Twitter randos, because he looks like an egg.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Randian ubermensch will be crushed beneath the statist power of my 13-minute Minimoog solo.

ikanreed posted:

Hasn't a secondary point of every assassin's creed game been to place people into the moral ambiguity of the era, and actually show just a little real history?

Reactionaries can't comprehend moral ambiguity. You think all that "Dark Lord" nonsense is in jest? Even the "dark" bits are just fairy-tale morality with the ultimate good and ultimate evil swapped around so Sauron is the good guy.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Oct 27, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

baahahahahaha

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Not much, since a lot of Moldbug's ideas obviously come from Hans-Herman Hoppe. I think the talk about Carlyle is mostly posturing to make it seem like he's reviving a forgotten/suppressed philosophical school.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

We must expunge the communist cultural marxist gay liberals, isn't that right waifu? *strokes body pillow slowly, trembling with rage*

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

We must expunge the communist cultural marxist gay liberals, isn't that right waifu? *strokes body pillow slowly, trembling with rage*
See, that's a thing - consequent libertarianism means violent toleration of homosexuality. "Degeneracy" isn't really a prominent topic in genuinely libertarian philosophy. Libertarianism in the sense of Nozick would be in support of libertarians. (In Germany, the Liberal party, which is closest in spirit to the US libertarians, had a gay leader for years.) Sure, they'd be against any special form of legal projection for homosexuals beyond heterosexuals, but as strongly against any specific discrimination, against disallowing them from doing something heterosexuals are allowed to do.

And Nix and, admittedly, contemporary and Radian libertarianism, is all about the pink terror.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

See, that's a thing - consequent libertarianism means violent toleration of homosexuality. "Degeneracy" isn't really a prominent topic in genuinely libertarian philosophy. Libertarianism in the sense of Nozick would be in support of libertarians. (In Germany, the Liberal party, which is closest in spirit to the US libertarians, had a gay leader for years.) Sure, they'd be against any special form of legal projection for homosexuals beyond heterosexuals, but as strongly against any specific discrimination, against disallowing them from doing something heterosexuals are allowed to do.

And Nix and, admittedly, contemporary and Radian libertarianism, is all about the pink terror.

I don't know if it means toleration of homosexuality (or other minorities) beyond government toleration of it, I thought the idea was sure they can't make it illegal but segregation is a-ok because free market something something. Admittedly I don't really know many non-Rand libertarians and all the Rand ones just try to get around the gay question with non-solutions like "Well what if we just make all marriage illegal :smug:"

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
American "libertarianism":

quote:

Consider the Lawrence case decided by the Supreme Court last June. The Court determined that Texas has no right to establish its own standards for private sexual conduct, because these laws violated the court’s interpretation of the 14th Amendment. Regardless of the advisability of such laws, the Constitution does not give the federal government authority to overturn these laws. Under the Tenth Amendment, the state of Texas has the authority to pass laws concerning social matters, using its own local standards, without federal interference. But rather than adhering to the Constitution and declining jurisdiction over a state matter, the Court decided to stretch the "right to privacy" to justify imposing the justices’ vision on the people of Texas.

https://web.archive.org/web/20131409041000/http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul197.html

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

etc.

EDIT: Oh it's Ron Paul I didn't even notice, that makes it even better :allears:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

Your avatar is actually a picture of a Prig-Prog, a creature from Lewis Carroll's poem The Jabberwocky. It eats babies and collects taxes.

My word.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I don't know if it means toleration of homosexuality (or other minorities) beyond government toleration of it, I thought the idea was sure they can't make it illegal but segregation is a-ok because free market something something. Admittedly I don't really know many non-Rand libertarians and all the Rand ones just try to get around the gay question with non-solutions like "Well what if we just make all marriage illegal :smug:"

Well there is a difference between somebody who'd say, I object on philosophical grounds to the government interfering with free market labor practices in the matter of sexual preferences and also I hope the fags get beaten up because I feel uncomfortable when they hold hands in public, and somebody who'd say, I object on philosophical grounds with government interference in fee market labor practices in the matter of sexual preferences, and I'd also protest any government that gives any, especially discriminatory/oppressive, differential treatment to homosexuals. And the latter is, I would say, congruent libertarianism, but not the former.

Maybe these two look fairly similar in the current climate though, in practice. Or maybe #2 doesn't truly exist anymore.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Terrible Opinions posted:

I thought the hashtag came from Unity having game breaking bugs, lovely business practices, and laughable excuses for having no playable women characters.
I'm not a big Assassins Creed player so I'll admit it's entirely possible. My point was more that some gamers will treat everything as a massive grandiose issue like they're arguing civil rights before the supreme court.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

Or maybe #2 doesn't truly exist anymore.

Ding ding ding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

oligopsony posted:

pluspluspangolin posted:

every time I visit your blog I misread the title as 'were-traditionalist' and end up rather amused, since that's basically the opposite of your politics (I'm sure it means something sensible in German, but I don't know any German, so…)

the first time it happened to me, it wasn’t even the scariest

i had woken up, naked, in the woods, surrounded by Burzum CDs and beer posters featuring women in dirndls with the slogan FEMINISM = WHITE GENOCIDE sharpied on them. my whole body ached; i felt like i had been stretching my right arm for the whole night

as the day passed, and I shared the confusion of the town, things slowly started coming together. the rabbi was busy scrubbing the wall clean of some sort of hands-rubbing shylock cartoon. the woman across the street had received a letter beginning: Dear Hypergamous Slut,. A large billboard had been covered by a painting of what looked like a sad frog in a hitler outfit. all my avatars on social media had been replaced michelangelo’s David.