Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Having levelled the three tanks to 50, and being pretty new, not talking numbers, but feel, Pld suffers from the skills all being separate. None of the skills really seem to fit together to make a class.
Darkside works because other skills can only be used under it, Dark Arts buffs skills.

Warrior has skills to expend fury, and give fury.

Paladin has a threat combo and a bunch of situational buffs.

Paladin should get an overhaul to make skills interact more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On3moresoul
Apr 22, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I would love to see Arithmetician and Onion Knight added.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I'd guess that whatever the next two jobs that get added are, they're going to be STR based and INT based. Right now we have three jobs that (ostensibly) use VIT, three that use DEX, and three that use MND, but STR and INT only have two.
They were close to putting SAM in already and there always seems to be a lot of people clamoring for it so I wouldn't be shocked if one of the next two jobs was SAM, also.

As for jobs stepping on the toes of existing ones, it's all in how creative they get and how they implement things. For healers alone, there are multiple types of healing spells that already exist in other games that we don't have, so if nothing else there are some options there. Our tanks feel similar because they all act like DPS most of the time, if they ever actually add active mitigation we might start seeing some bigger differences in play style. And they haven't really played a lot with giving any jobs except WAR and the two ACN jobs a special resource to deal with.

So what I'm saying is, even if they just copied off of WoW they have a lot of room to improve current jobs and also add new ones, and I'd like to imagine they can do better than just copy from something else, so I wouldn't worry too much about too many samey jobs. And even if a job ends up being a drop-in replacement for another in every way, if they at least feel different to play that'd be good enough.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Velthice posted:

Assizing adds on bosses in neverreap is super satisfying. Also all the bosses in fractal are basically target dummies and super boring

The last boss in Fractal was a bit of an rear end in a top hat (on an admittedly undergeared dungeon-appropriately-geared group) until someone reminded me that Selene has a debuff clear.

Oops.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Suitaru posted:

They said adding 3 classes was exhausting and they plan to do one per expansion in the future. So those three are a few years' worth.

This is why I in some ways can't wait for the game's twilight years where they desparately try to stay relevent by adding a ton of samey classes to beg people to come back just so they get everyone's favorite FF job covered but the game's old at that point so who cares if they largely recycle mechanics from other classes and also they find an excuse to not retroactively add a weapon for every content in the game ever.

Speaking of, that's part of why it's so drat exhausting is they retroactively add gear to the entire game. I kind of wish they'd stick with 3 per expac but didnt bother with adding equipment before the current expansion other than maybe a couple of the later stuff or something. Of course balance gets more and more complicated but without having to kill your entire 3D modelling department it'd be far less exhausting.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The last boss in Fractal was a bit of an rear end in a top hat (on an admittedly undergeared dungeon-appropriately-geared group) until someone reminded me that Selene has a debuff clear.

Oops.

You have Leeches yourself :confused::confused::confused:

Griz
May 21, 2001

Veks posted:

You have Leeches yourself :confused::confused::confused:

maybe all the dps were retarded and kept running into landmines and/or were doing less dps than a competent 2.5 player? healer MP shouldn't be an issue in there even at i145 unless someone is loving up really bad.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Griz posted:

maybe all the dps were retarded and kept running into landmines and/or were doing less dps than a competent 2.5 player? healer MP shouldn't be an issue in there even at i145 unless someone is loving up really bad.

I found the problem

this is always the problem

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Having levelled the three tanks to 50 <snip> Paladin should get an overhaul to make skills interact more.

To be fair, this changes on the way to and at 60. That said, I was initially pleased with PLD at 60, but Ravana Ex helped shed light on the class's issues.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ravana Ex was arguably the fight where PLD was most relevant in all of HW. You could Sheltron every Blinding Blade as the OT and you had an advantage against a (primarily) physical boss as the MT. There were long phase transitions with plenty of time to cast Clemency. Dual Prey could be easily cheesed with a combination of Hallowed Ground and Cover. The major Paladin complaints only really started popping up after Alexander came out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vermain posted:

Ravana Ex was arguably the fight where PLD was most relevant in all of HW. You could Sheltron every Blinding Blade as the OT and you had an advantage against a (primarily) physical boss as the MT. There were long phase transitions with plenty of time to cast Clemency. Dual Prey could be easily cheesed with a combination of Hallowed Ground and Cover. The major Paladin complaints only really started popping up after Alexander came out.

And even still, I was able to do savage with my group just fine as a PLD when our DRK was on vacation. There are some significant drawbacks, though. The sheer amount of magic aoe in A3S is much easier to handle with a dark knight or monk. We don't have a monk, so missing that 10% from delirium was noticed by the healers. Also, even with more strength I lagged around 50 dps behind our dark knight.

PLD does have some advantages in A3S, namely rage of halone for hand swipes, shield bash on the add phase, and stunlocking the hand in phase four. Healers in our group would rather have the dark, though. I guess once you go black it is hard to go back.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Drizvolta posted:

I found the problem

this is always the problem

I think it's 50/50 on pickup EXDRs whether or not the healer clears the bomb debuff on the last boss

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Brannock posted:

Wanderer's Minuet and Gauss Barrel were really poorly thought out abilities and I'm entirely unsurprised a large portion of the playerbase actively dislikes it.

Anecdotally, I finally got around to getting MCH 50 last night. It's a ton of fun just running circles past hordes of monsters while chucking grenados and spread shots, and I can completely understand people hitting 52 and being bummed out that they are now expected to just stand still and turret. Even though it is far more effective at actually killing things.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I ran the Great Gubal Library a few times last night, and the amount of DPS skill variety I saw was... interesting.

On the final boss, I had a SMN who was using Bane, which despite being no adds would have been useless because they didn't have Bio 2 / Miasma applied, but hot dang was Miasma 2 always on the boss! I also had a level 60 DRG that was using it's ilvl 115 Zeta. I'm not sure if the library drops stuff needed to upgrade it? That one took awhile.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

seiferguy posted:

I also had a level 60 DRG that was using it's ilvl 115 Zeta. I'm not sure if the library drops stuff needed to upgrade it? That one took awhile.
God no, Zeta doesn't need anything from heavensward. Even if he had 0 luck with a weapon from dungeons, the game throws you a 145 weapon right at the start of the Hinterlands, and if he was on a second job then that's still no excuse to be using a weapon that's 9 levels old.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Anecdotally, I finally got around to getting MCH 50 last night. It's a ton of fun just running circles past hordes of monsters while chucking grenados and spread shots, and I can completely understand people hitting 52 and being bummed out that they are now expected to just stand still and turret. Even though it is far more effective at actually killing things.

Same here! Hit MCH 50 last night and finally got to try on my parrot costume.

MCH is a really fun job to play. My only other non-magic based dps class is DRG which is pretty much just "press all the buttons" so having a bit of variety in how I approach dps output is welcome.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Axle_Stukov posted:

God no, Zeta doesn't need anything from heavensward. Even if he had 0 luck with a weapon from dungeons, the game throws you a 145 weapon right at the start of the Hinterlands, and if he was on a second job then that's still no excuse to be using a weapon that's 9 levels old.

What? Zeta has better stats than most of the stuff up to Gubal, depending on how you materia'd it.....and just noticed that he said the 115 relic. Yeah, that's kinda dumb given the 145 wep is same damage with better stats. The 135 will last you a good long while though, cause the Gubal spear is only 2 weapon damage above the Longinus Zeta with only ten more strength.

edit: And the spear from Vault is a slight upgrade too, though I did not know that it even existed til just now. Literally never seen it drop.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I think you don't understand the magnititude of how much more power a single point of weapon damage will grant you

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LunarShadow posted:

What? Zeta has better stats than most of the stuff up to Gubal, depending on how you materia'd it.....and just noticed that he said the 115 relic. Yeah, that's kinda dumb given the 145 wep is same damage with better stats. The 135 will last you a good long while though, cause the Gubal spear is only 2 weapon damage above the Longinus Zeta with only ten more strength.

edit: And the spear from Vault is a slight upgrade too, though I did not know that it even existed til just now. Literally never seen it drop.

Weapon damage > substats by a huge amount. Not to mention that no substat for dragoon is currently worth more than 0.2 strength and a higher ilevel item has more strength to boot. Always go higher weapon damage.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
last i checked determination was around .34 strength for dragoons but i'll admit that was before heavensward released, i assume skill speed is more valuable now

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
You guys are also missing the point that he was level 60. Like, he could have bought the i170 law lancer no problem, unless he's struggling for law tomes.

edit: I'm not keen on all the relic gear, but he had the i115 one, so either way, it was way behind. And he had law armor equipped too. His spear sure looked cool though!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I have no doubt that we'll end up seeing two new jobs in the new future; I think they will patch in Samurai like they did ninja, and we'll have a Dancer class come in for the expansion. I like the patch-based major game improvements and it's a great way to keep people subscribed, so I'd encourage them to keep doing it.

In fact, make all the Asian jobs be mid-year patch updates. Ninja, Samurai, Sumo, Otaku...

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

we already have otaku in the game

they just named it "Thaumaturge" and once you hit level 30 you become a wizard (Black Mage)

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Weapon damage > substats by a huge amount. Not to mention that no substat for dragoon is currently worth more than 0.2 strength and a higher ilevel item has more strength to boot. Always go higher weapon damage.

That was actually my point. I meant that the weapon damage on a Zeta means it won't be replaced til Vault at the earliest.

Edit: I did infact miss that we was level 60. Yup, dude is a dumbass.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DolphinCop posted:

last i checked determination was around .34 strength for dragoons but i'll admit that was before heavensward released, i assume skill speed is more valuable now

its under .2 now iirc. crit is more valuable but all three substats hover around .2

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

I think you don't understand the magnititude of how much more power a single point of weapon damage will grant you

And this is why people are skipping a3s to work on a4s and get weapons among other reasons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

Pfft whatever nerd, it's only weapon damage, how good could that possibly be? Now check out my sweet Creed armor! --every paladin ever

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Brannock posted:

Wanderer's Minuet and Gauss Barrel were really poorly thought out abilities and I'm entirely unsurprised a large portion of the playerbase actively dislikes it.

:agreed:

if i wanted ranged cast timers i'd loving play a blm, god drat.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I mean there's a difference between "drat, this skill sucks, I hate the way it changed how my class plays", which is arguable but you're entitled to feel however you want, and "I'm gonna be an obstinate shithead and keep playing BRD/MCH without using it or any of the dependent skills, even if it makes my damage absolute garbage" which is incredibly dumb and makes me hate you.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 27, 2015

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Bard and Machinist with their cast times are both cool and fun. I mean, what else would they do with the jobs from 50-60, add yet another OGCD? Bard was far too easy at 50 (and still people managed to be poo poo ). Now there's an element of skill and complexity that rewards putting in time and learning the nuances of the job. Initial challenges aside, bard at 60 is a much more well rounded job, with a skill ceiling equal to or higher than others. A well played MCH is actually pretty mobile, too. It's far and away from being a BLM.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Did you ask him if it was intentional? It's real easy to forget that you have a relic equipped.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I hit 58 on Dragoon last night and I understand why they have such a bad reputation now.

Jesus Christ there are so many buttons.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

IcePhoenix posted:

I hit 58 on Dragoon last night and I understand why they have such a bad reputation now.

Jesus Christ there are so many buttons.

It kind of feels like you're controlling a mecha while everyone else is driving an automatic electric car.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Kettlepip posted:

Bard and Machinist with their cast times are both cool and fun. I mean, what else would they do with the jobs from 50-60, add yet another OGCD? Bard was far too easy at 50 (and still people managed to be poo poo ). Now there's an element of skill and complexity that rewards putting in time and learning the nuances of the job. Initial challenges aside, bard at 60 is a much more well rounded job, with a skill ceiling equal to or higher than others. A well played MCH is actually pretty mobile, too. It's far and away from being a BLM.

Yeah, I enjoy Bard at 60, with Minuet, way more than I enjoyed Bard at 50. There's a real cadence to it nowadays. And coming off of 2.5 Black Mage, it feels extremely mobile.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

we already have otaku in the game

they just named it "Thaumaturge" and once you hit level 30 you become a wizard (Black Mage)

this explains EVERYTHING

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It kind of feels like you're controlling a mecha while everyone else is driving an automatic electric car.

A mecha that has a weirdly laid out cockpit where all the buttons are in a vertical line and you just press them from top to bottom then repeat?

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i love wanderer's minuet and also the tears of all the terrible bards it has broken on it's muscular, rippling body. thank you SE for finally taking the baseball bat to the spastic bard's knees that i had always wanted to do myself

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Velthice posted:

i love wanderer's minuet and also the tears of all the terrible bards it has broken on it's muscular, rippling body. thank you SE for finally taking the baseball bat to the spastic bard's knees that i had always wanted to do myself

I too am glad that they patched out one of the things that made BRD fun to play, and instead made it more similar to BLM, and also more similar to MCH which came out at the same time and has the exact same mechanic because variety is NOT encouraged in this Final Fantasy XIV.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Now that you mention it if I had that one controller for that XBox mech game I'd probably be able to actually not frantically push buttons.

nuru posted:

A mecha that has a weirdly laid out cockpit where all the buttons are in a vertical line and you just press them from top to bottom then repeat?

Someone clearly isn't using his off-GCD abilities :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Freak Futanari posted:

I too am glad that they patched out one of the things that made BRD fun to play, and instead made it more similar to BLM, and also more similar to MCH which came out at the same time and has the exact same mechanic because variety is NOT encouraged in this Final Fantasy XIV.

Literally anything to stop the classic bard gets hate on a fate boss and then kites it scenario is a huge improvement to the quality of life of everyone.

• Locked thread