Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait is #13 the issue you get the end of if you go into the touching panels thread and ask for the "Sad superman dog thing" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
There's 2 Halloween sales on Comixology right now, both run to the 26th.
One is a Boom! Studios 50% off sale. From that one I already had Day Men which is a pretty good "Vampires run the world from behind the scenes" series and I'm tempted to buy the 28 Days Later omnibus.
The second sale is for Comixology submit books using the code "treat". There's a lot of stuff there so I don't know what's good. It is divided up by genre though, which helps.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
LO-fuckin-L They put up the Tarot Halloween special just for this sale. (Balent and Holly G have started putting their poo poo up via Submit recently). Which includes both the infamous haunted vagina issue AND the horrifying gingerbread girl one! Twice the terribad and traumatising comics for half the price!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I hear people really like Marvel's Hercules comics.
https://www.comixology.com/The-Incredible-Hercules-Sale/page/8603

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uthor posted:

I hear people really like Marvel's Hercules comics.
https://www.comixology.com/The-Incredible-Hercules-Sale/page/8603

Its pretty great

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I'll dissent on Action Comics as well; I think it's fantastic. I thought the idea of more or less having Superman fight the constraints capitalism puts on his own licensed stories was both very clever and very well done. I'd go as far as to say Action Comics #18 is one of the best comics I've read from this decade.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

How are the 28 days later comics? Worth picking up on sale if I enjoyed the movies and like zombie/apocalypse comics?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Supergirl-Sale/page/8577?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

1958 Superman #123 (Jimmy Olsen wished up pre-Supergirl Supergirl or something)
Action Comics Supergirl debut
pre-solo Adventure Comics
'72, '82, '94, '96, '05, N52 Supergirl series
Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes
Cosmic Adventures in the Eighth Grade
Brave and the Bold (issues with Supergirl)
Superman/Batman 8-13

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 27, 2015

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
What is Lady Death like?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is the n52 any good? I read a bit where she was dating a kid in a wheelchair and it seemed pretty cool.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

LordPants posted:

Is the n52 any good? I read a bit where she was dating a kid in a wheelchair and it seemed pretty cool.

Dating is putting it very strongly. Bedard seeded it in his last issues and then the people following with the final arc only used him for about two seconds at the end (e: along with a cliffhanger I'm betting will never ever pay off.)
The first year before H'el on Earth is the best, and Red Daughter was fun tying in with Soule's Red Lanterns and Doomed.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 27, 2015

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

thehacker0 posted:

How are the 28 days later comics? Worth picking up on sale if I enjoyed the movies and like zombie/apocalypse comics?

I enjoyed them for the most part and the art's not bad; it basically picks up where the first movie left off and bridges the gap between Days and Weeks. Selena is the main character and is trying to lead a reporter across infected Britain to London (for reasons I can't really remember) but they mostly run into trouble from the US military.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a good iOS app that will work with comics I didn't get from Comixology? I got a bunch of Valiant stuff from a Humble Bundle which isn't tied to anything but a file.

I'm dumb and didn't read the OP. ComicFlow it is.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 27, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a way to filter Comixology to just new release singles? No trades, no collections, no loving romance mangas, just the new weekly singles.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Army of Darkness Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/morebooks

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Any of this good? I have a pretty big backlog but I am oddly interested in the Hack/Slash crossover

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Is Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes worth a read?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

bobkatt013 posted:

Is Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes worth a read?

All of Waid's run is worth it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheManWithNoName posted:

All of Waid's run is worth it.

Only time I've ever cared about the Legion. And the whole arc where Braniac 5 is desperately trying to save Dream Girl is a particular highlight, though I'm a sucker for 'emotionless' characters showing the cracks in their facade.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What about Peter David's Supergirl? The dude is usually pretty solid,

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

What about Peter David's Supergirl? The dude is usually pretty solid,

I believe that run has the story where Silver Age Supergirl crashes on regular DC Earth and immediately tries to push Earth out of the way of a meteor. This appears to everyone else, and due to the relative masses involved basically IS, her doing a really long, intense handstand.

What I'm saying is it's a good comic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gaz-L posted:

I believe that run has the story where Silver Age Supergirl crashes on regular DC Earth and immediately tries to push Earth out of the way of a meteor. This appears to everyone else, and due to the relative masses involved basically IS, her doing a really long, intense handstand.

I am sold.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's be cool if that had collections like the other series, so it'd be maybe $50 instead of $83.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think it's because they haven't realized real trades yet. Which does suck

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

1) Why didn't she move the meteor?

2) Ignoring that, why isn't this in the funny panels thread?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

1) Why didn't she move the meteor?

2) Ignoring that, why isn't this in the funny panels thread?

1. The modern Supergirl told her the JLA was already on it.
2. I do not know.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Any of this good? I have a pretty big backlog but I am oddly interested in the Hack/Slash crossover

I've read a pretty good chunk of them, and they're competently done books that are fairly faithful to the source material but not particularly inspiring. So, if you're a fan of the Evil Dead and want some more goofy adventures of Ash it's okay, but I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dark Horse horror sale on Comixology (not on DH app, whatever), ends Sunday 11/1

Eerie and Creepy Archives - $6.99/book
Pixu - $2.99
$0.99 single issue for:
Hellboy In Hell 1-5
Abe Sapien 1-5
Baltimore 1-5
Alabaster Wolves 1-5
Colder 1-5
Death Head 1-2
Rat God 1-5
Creepy Comics 1-5
Eerie Comics 1-5
Harrow County 1-5

Baltimore (WWI adventure horror) and Harrow County (southern folktale horror) are strong personal favorites, go scoop 'em up if you haven't already.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hoo boy gonna blow a bunch of cash on those archives.

Also that's a good price for Rat God if you want some solid Corben art and a middling Corben story. Like, I wouldn't pay more than $5.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I see the first IDW Ghostbusters comic is on sale on Comixology. Is it any good?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Actually, does anyone have experience with Comic Rack being better for a internal server for comics? My PC already does the work for Plex and such so if I wanted to read comics around the house, I was wondering if Comic Rack is going to be better for that. Right now, I'm using Comic Zeal and it makes me move it to a cloud storage like OneDrive and load 1 issue at a time so it's a bit clunky. :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irritated Goat posted:

Actually, does anyone have experience with Comic Rack being better for a internal server for comics? My PC already does the work for Plex and such so if I wanted to read comics around the house, I was wondering if Comic Rack is going to be better for that. Right now, I'm using Comic Zeal and it makes me move it to a cloud storage like OneDrive and load 1 issue at a time so it's a bit clunky. :(

YACReader is what you want. With Comic Rack you have to sync the issues to the device. With YACReader you can read them straight from your PC like you would a movie with Plex.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Irritated Goat posted:

ComicZeal actually lets you move comics right to it via a web browser, so you can put in more than one comic at once.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Pardon me, but this is my first time in the Digital Comics thread. I just posted this in the Hardcovers and TPBs thread, but I think it's worth cross-posting here. Hopefully this will be new to some of you:

Those of you who have and use public libraries (which is hopefully most of you), check your library websites to see if they have added a new online service called Hoopla Digital. Mine added it earlier this year. You can create a free Hoopla account with your library card number, and then you can stream or (temporarily) download audiobooks, movies, TV shows, or music albums to your computers, tablets, or phones. It's very similar to Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, in that you can browse categories, search, and add things to a list of favorites. There is a Hoopla Digital app, of course.

You can usually keep things in your Hoopla account for 21 days, and then they either disappear (the system automatically checks them back in), or you can return them once you're done. And at least my public library set it up so I can check out a total of six items per month. That isn't a lot, the way I blow through media, but it's still a nice added feature. I was finally able to see The Long Goodbye thanks to Hoopla, which is of particular interest to anyone who read and enjoyed Matt Fraction's Hawkeye series.

But the reason I'm mentioning this here is because about a month ago, they added a whole category of comic books, which is mostly trade paperbacks. They include DC/Vertigo (mostly New 52 TPBs, with some perennial favorites like Watchmen, Sandman, Preacher, and Fables), Dark Horse (tons of stuff), Image (I'm finally going to get to read Velvet, Lazarus, and Satellite Sam), Valiant (ditto for Archer and Armstrong), IDW (no James Roberts Transformers TPBs yet, but lots of other TF stuff, and a whole category for Doctor Who, for those who are into that). Marvel's absence is very obvious.

I had never downloaded a comic before, don't have Comixology or any other apps like that, but it hasn't been bad at all reading comics on my iPad through the Hoopla Digital app. So far, I've finally gotten to read the first Justice League 3000 TPB (not my thing, although I appreciate that it brought back Beetle and Booster), the last two Batman Inc. TPBs to finally finish Morrison's epic Batman run, and now I've moved onto Lemire's Green Arrow run, which is excellent so far. My public library has a decent collection of TPBs, but there is still plenty of stuff they don't have that I'd like to read, and now much of it has been added to Hoopla Digital.

So check to see if you all have access... but you don't have to take my word for it!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 2, 2015

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Comixology is doing a IDW miniseries 50% off sale until the 10th and a Death of Wolverine sale with up to 80% off until the 5th. I don't have any recommendations, wouldn't mind some though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've read literally none of the IDW stuff, but something called Star Slammers by Walt Simonson can't possibly be bad.

The Cornell Wolverine series aren't bad, but I'm not sure I can really recommend it, either.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I wouldn't recommend Death of Wolverine, especially as a stand alone. It's was pretty "meh".

Monocyte has a non-sense story, but pretty to look at if you're after art that mixes Giger and Templesmith.

Fake edit: I'm looking at the wrong IDW sale, sorry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's probably bad that I'm relieved that there's only a lovely sale on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I really liked Death of Wolverine and didn't read the previous series or following weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

I think there's some kind of SNAFU on Comixology's end on that IDW mini series sale, according to the banner ad the sale starts tomorrow, and the only titles showing a discount are those that are also part of the Halloween sale.