Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Numenera seems to have super mixed reviews. Is it worth it to get some of its books for the low Xmas in July sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Numenera seems to have super mixed reviews. Is it worth it to get some of its books for the low Xmas in July sale?
For $15, yeah I'd say it's worth a look. Fair warning, it does have odd levels of crunch, and it is d20-based to the point where the difficulty is rate 1-10, then multiplied by 3, and that's what you roll against.

Meanwhile, Bundle of Holding is redoing the Deadlands: Classic bundle.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The art is beautiful, the setting is pretty cool, but the back story of the setting is surprisingly mediocre. Tons of info on boring towns and poo poo that nobody should worry about. Like pages and pages about Sir Ian Blah, mayor of Blah town and his great uncle Sir Blah Blah. Also, like Evil Mastermind said, the crunch is weird. I was not expecting it and I think it feels out of place.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Hiro Protagonist posted:

No

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If Bundle of Holding does the Numenera bundle again, there's worse ways to spend ~$20. Its got some neat ideas and cool art but half the cool art you can just go to Keith Thompson's site to look at for free and the aforementioned/linked mechanical issues. In full disclosure I did get the Bundle and bought a hardcopy of the corebook and would like to run it sometime just to try it but you should go into that knowing what you're getting.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
If you really are set on spending money for cool rpg art, go with Eoris for $15 in hardcover.

Mine arrived today and it's both breathtaking and insane.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Amazon is having a big one-day sale on a bunch of top-rated board games and (for some reason) Fate Core.

I'll admit I'm not wise in the ways of board games, but RoboRally for $30 and Tokaido for $25 are really good deals.

Is Roll for the Galaxy any good?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Amazon is having a big one-day sale on a bunch of top-rated board games and (for some reason) Fate Core.

I'll admit I'm not wise in the ways of board games, but RoboRally for $30 and Tokaido for $25 are really good deals.

Yes, RollftG is good, and if you don't have Race, I'd recommend picking it up. If you alread have race, it might step on some toes, as, unsurprisingly, they are very similar games.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

Rivet Wars is a fun minis game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
DTRPG is having a sale on all Savage World stuff...

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/rpg_systemsale.php?&filters=0_0_0_0_0_45278&manufacturers_id=62

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

New BoH is up: "Fantastic Asia".

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/AsiaFantastic

Has anyone tried Qin? I've heard good things in the past.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

New BoH is up: "Fantastic Asia".

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/AsiaFantastic

Has anyone tried Qin? I've heard good things in the past.

I've run it. It's a very good game.

Here's the Demo kit for it. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/11926/Qin-The-Warring-States-free-demo-kit?it=1

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
DriveThruRPG has put up a new charity bundle, this one benefitting RAINN, an anti sexual violence charity.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/156002?src=RAINNeBlast

$25 gets you:
Aberrant Corebook: White Wolf's very 90s superpower RPG
Contagion Second Edition: no idea
Do Gooders and Daredevils: Knights of the Pentangle: some sort of scenario? Dunno.
Dungeon Crawl Classics corebook: one of the leading OSR games.
Wedding Planners: a Cortex Plus Firefly adventure.
Hero Kids Fantasy RPG: ENnie winner, I guess?
ICONS Team Up: a supplement for Icons, the Fate superpower RPG
Kobolds Print and Slay Miniatures (Set One): printable standees for Kobolds Ate My Baby
Little Fears: Nightmare Edition: revised edition of a well-regarded horror game where you play kids
Mermaid Adventures RPG: no idea
Moon Dust Men: a Gumshoe campaign frame that first appeared through Ken Writes About Stuff
Night Witches: the recently Kickstarted, Apocalypse-powered game of WWII Russian female bombers by Jason Morningstar
Ravenfell Core Set: some sort of fantasy graphics pack?
Savage Suzerain: some sort of Savage Worlds setting
The Bones: Us and Our Dice: a look at gamer culture around dice
The Play's The Thing: hilarious indie RPG about clashing egos mangling classic (Shakespearean) theatre.
Wraith Recon: no idea.

The things I'm familiar with (Aberrant, Little Fears, Night Witches, The Play's The Thing, Moon Dust Men, DCC, Icons Team-Up, and the Firefly adventure) would appear to make it a pretty solid deal going to a good cause, but I'm curious if anyone's familiar with the other random stuff you get?

Oh, and DriveThruComics and DriveThruFiction have similar, slightly cheaper bundles though neither particularly interested me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Evil Hat is having a 10% off sale this weekend with discount code CCWEEKEND.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I will chime in that Night Witches is amazing and I recommend it highly. Really gave me a feel for the "FFS" nature of the lives of the Russian air women.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's not much time left to get in on this, but Steam is selling all the Dawn of War games at 75% off.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The current Bundle of Holding is for Monte Cook's The Strange, which takes the Numenera system and applies to a multi-verse setting

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/TheStrange

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Poorly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The current Bundle of Holding is horror-themed:

Savage World Deluxe + Horror Companion
Silent Legions

Accursed
Rippers 1st Edition + Rippers Companion
Shadows of Esteren Prologue + Universe

I'm not familiar with the latter three, but I do have Silent Legions and it's a really good system-agnostic book if you want to run Lovecraftian adventures but don't want to use the same Mythos, and there's a lot of advice on running low-prep investigation/horror adventures.

They also brought back their first horror-themed bundle, which I snapped up immediately Dread, the Jenga-powered horror game.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
So far the original Bundle of Nerves is the only way to legit buy a copy of "The Final Girl", which is an awesome and quick little game that lets you recreate your favorite 80s slasher flicks. It's definitely worth picking up this bundle though for that, Dread, and Don't Rest Your Head

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

RedMagus posted:

So far the original Bundle of Nerves is the only way to legit buy a copy of "The Final Girl", which is an awesome and quick little game that lets you recreate your favorite 80s slasher flicks. It's definitely worth picking up this bundle though for that, Dread, and Don't Rest Your Head

Deep 7's Shriek is ls also a pretty good slasher flick RPG with ridiculously simple rules.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
DriveThruRPG's annual Halloween "find the pumpkins" scavenger hunt is back. I've found five so far, including Pendragon 1st Edition and Better Angels.

EDIT: Getting the free Pendragon 1st Edition also gets you a link to buy the latest edition (5.1) PDF for 50% off.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 26, 2015

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Do they say how many there are per site? Only looked over DTRPG at the moment, and I can't remember where, but

Wolfsheim (Scion)
Laboratory of the Forsaken (FantasyCraft)
Van Richten's Guide to Fiends (AD&D 2e)
The Book of Archetypes (All Flesh Must Be Eaten)
Better Angels
King Arthur Pendragon: 1st Edition
e: Encyclopaedia Arcane Demonology, thanks, but I found it on my own.

Any non-product link off the front page, IIRC? I don't think they're hidden deeper than that, but I started on the account page's subpages and there may have been something there.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 26, 2015

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

chrisoya posted:

Do they say how many there are per site? Only looked over DTRPG at the moment, and I can't remember where, but

Wolfsheim (Scion)
Laboratory of the Forsaken (FantasyCraft)
Van Richten's Guide to Fiends (AD&D 2e)
The Book of Archetypes (All Flesh Must Be Eaten)
Better Angels
King Arthur Pendragon: 1st Edition

Encyclopaedia Arcane Demonology is on the Horror genre page.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Wolfsheim is on the Halloween sale page (get to it from the sidebar link, the main page banner doesn't work).

e; Pendragon 1E is on the Free Stuff page.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I checked the Horror genre page on DT Fiction and there was a pumpkin - I can't be bothered right now, but I think they use the same locations across all the sites? They did that last year.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

chrisoya posted:

I checked the Horror genre page on DT Fiction and there was a pumpkin - I can't be bothered right now, but I think they use the same locations across all the sites? They did that last year.

DriveThru RPG, Fiction, Comics and Cards are all doing the sale, and it looks like they all have the pumpkins on the same page on each site, yeah.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Quick copy and paste from reddit for the full list

Wolfsheim (Scion) - Halloween Sale Page
King Arthur Pendragon - Free Stuff Page
Better Angels - About Us
Van Richten's Guide to Fiends (2e) - Products Waiting Review (From the “Account” link)
Laboratory of the Forsaken - Change newsletters, Deal of the Day and ‘Follow Your Favorites!’ settings. (Form the “Account” link)
Book of Archetypes (AFMBE) - Current Newsletter [thanks Semioticmatic]
Choose Horror Genre - Encyclopaedia Arcane Demonology [thanks SlugabedJames]

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Better Angels is awesome, the kind of game that's fun to read but not a first-run buy. Book of Archetypes has four different character classes for "my character fucks zombies" so

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Golden Bee posted:

Better Angels is awesome, the kind of game that's fun to read but not a first-run buy. Book of Archetypes has four different character classes for "my character fucks zombies" so

Tina Belcher class???

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Quick copy and paste from reddit for the full list

Thanks! For some reason, being on the Better Angels KS didn't get me an RPGnow copy, and also happy to get Pendragon and Lab of the Forsaken .

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Thanks! For some reason, being on the Better Angels KS didn't get me an RPGnow copy

I'm hoping we eventually get to the day where DTRPG credits are as ubiquitous as Steam keys. IIRC, Better Angels KS backers got the PDF via dropbox.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

InShaneee posted:

I'm hoping we eventually get to the day where DTRPG credits are as ubiquitous as Steam keys. IIRC, Better Angels KS backers got the PDF via dropbox.

For that to happen, DTRPG would have to make the process of crediting PDFs to accounts something that isn't a Sisyphean uphill struggle.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I'm hoping we eventually get to the day where something other than DTRPG is the standard method of distribution. I'm rooting for itch.io.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

New BoH is Esoterrorists; anyone know anything about it?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
The adepts from Unknown Armies have formed a loosely organized conspiracy hell-bent on taking over the world and/or gaining ultimate occult power, and it's your job to hunt them down.

It's worth eight bucks.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's the first, and consequently roughest, game using the Gumshoe system. The premise is that a bunch of people are attempting to "culture shock" magic into existence by concocting and enacting depraved rituals as a sort of "meta-ritual" which will hopefully rip a hole in reality and let magic into the world. They're semi-successful at it and so you and your fellow agents have to contend with bizarre nightmare creatures spawned by terrible people attempting to pull a Mage: the Awakening gambit.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

The Esoterrorists Bundle of Holding comes with the 2nd Edition of Esoterrorists, which was redone to bring it in line with Pelgrane's more current offerings using the GUMSHOE system. There's plenty of good stuff to find within the core rulebook alone to bring the strange world of the Esoterrorists to life. I always wondered why it didn't get more love, and it seems I wasn't the only one. There's also the 1st Edition so you can see what the re-edition has brought.

It's good that you get the Esoterror Fact Book, which was kinda the precursor to the 2nd edition that gave more options and such for GMs. The 2nd edition rulebook specifically did not replace it.

The Book of Unremitting Horror is worth the upgrade price alone. There are some seriously messed up things in that book. Some of it won't hit your table as it is in the book because player responses might be "no, no, no, oh god, no", but there's definitely ideas to steal, change or reapply to other things.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Tulul posted:

The adepts from Unknown Armies have formed a loosely organized conspiracy hell-bent on taking over the world and/or gaining ultimate occult power, and it's your job to hunt them down.

It's worth eight bucks.

I misread that as the job being worth eight bucks, and that struck me as very Unknown Armies in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you like the Gumshoe System (I hate it) you'll probably like it. The setting is cool as hell (much like Night's Black Agents), but I absolutely hate Gumshoe.