Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

PittTheElder posted:

They're permanent in 1.14.

:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Tell me this is fixed too please (I'm not Germany or the HRE, Rhenish isn't even accepted)

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

PAWGChamp posted:

Tell me this is fixed too please (I'm not Germany or the HRE, Rhenish isn't even accepted)

I think that's intended? You never get penalties from other cultures in the same group anymore, they're automatically accepted.

Sub-cultures now exist purely to make it more difficult to conquer large areas regions of the world other than your own.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

LLSix posted:

With Vicky 3.

Serioustalk: I think Stellaris is a proving ground for portions of Vicky 3.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fintilgin posted:

My biggest question about the Cossacks DLC is... how the hell are they going to top it?! :confused:

Tabbing out on a Mac :negative:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bold Robot posted:

Tabbing out on a Mac :negative:

lmfao...perfect.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
There have been dozens of times in the last several pages where someone has gone "man I wish this feature was in the game" followed up by someone saying it's coming the new patch or dlc. Paradox owns.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Dibujante posted:

It is highly inconsistent with European political thought at the time to not become a monarchy, though. It was common sense at the time that Republics could not scale up very well. This made the USA's decision to create a republic pretty quizzical - it was actually the largest Republican project in essentially ever (unless you count Rome, which wasn't founded as a large republic but whose collapse was the first in a long line of "told you so"s that skeptics used to declare the Republic to be suited only to small countries and edge cases).

This thread just went through a phase where every other post was about becoming merchant republic Byzantium. It's highly inconsistent when you can form the Mughal republic but republican government for Italy is special and impossible

Yashichi fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 27, 2015

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Tsyni posted:

If you're using cloud saves then stop doing that and use local saves.

I am, in fact, using local saves.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

VerdantSquire posted:

I think that's intended? You never get penalties from other cultures in the same group anymore, they're automatically accepted.

Sub-cultures now exist purely to make it more difficult to conquer large areas regions of the world other than your own.

When i mouse over them on the province it shows up like this

but here it says this

I am getting the -15% penalties, I checked.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The diplomacy revamp in particular has me incredibly excited.

Even more so than the formable nations buff. Especially since I already did the Hindustan (and Qing) achievements. :negative: Orissa can't change tags if it wants to go Last Servitor, right? I know Ceylon can't for theirs.

What does that leave for major achievement-friendly formables? Italy if I don't want to finish my Lucca game pre-1.14?

Yea, I think I'll hold off on my Italy game for now until the expansion releases considering this. That way I can form Italy with Genoa and stay a Merchant Republic! Now to figure out which achievement to try next. Haven't done Denmark in a while, I hear it's challenging now and last time I played them the Iron Price achievement didn't exist. Does anyone know if you can get it as Scandinavia or do I have to stay Denmark? The wiki says you can form Scandinavia but I don't always trust that it's up to date.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 27, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Yashichi posted:

This thread just went through a phase where every other post was about becoming merchant republic Byzantium. It's highly inconsistent when you can form the Mughal republic but republican government for Italy is special and impossible

Republican Byzantium makes as much sense as Protestant Ottoman HRE. I think it's great fun but it is entirely anti-historical.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

deathbagel posted:

Yea, I think I'll hold off on my Italy game for now until the expansion releases considering this. That way I can form Italy with Genoa and stay a Merchant Republic! Now to figure out which achievement to try next. Haven't done Denmark in a while, I hear it's challenging now and last time I played them the Iron Price achievement didn't exist. Does anyone know if you can get it as Scandinavia or do I have to stay Denmark? The wiki says you can form Scandinavia but I don't always trust that it's up to date.
I believe I read that there will be a feature with the next expansion/patch that will let you check this in-game.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Does anyone know how things like this happen? Muscovy is at war against Novgorod, Pomerania and Scotland, but I don't see any Scottish ships anywhere :crossarms:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ZiegeDame posted:

I am, in fact, using local saves.

Well, that's a pretty terrible bug then. I am sorry to hear that.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yashichi posted:

Just make it so that it works like the revolution and every monarchy in Europe gets a CB against republics, or at least king-level republics, after a certain period :v:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How important are navies in this game? Outside of war, they seem entirely situational, like for transporting troops or protecting trade. The former isn't applicable if you're land-locked. Then during war, whenever I hop into navy battles, the outcome is always less than 1% warscore. The embargos placed on me during times of war aren't terrible either. I can still win a war at 100% blockading.

What am I missing?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Redmark posted:

Does anyone know how things like this happen? Muscovy is at war against Novgorod, Pomerania and Scotland, but I don't see any Scottish ships anywhere :crossarms:

Could Novgorod or Pomerania have turned over occupation to the Scots? They might if they don't want those provinces.

Avocados posted:

How important are navies in this game? Outside of war, they seem entirely situational, like for transporting troops or protecting trade. The former isn't applicable if you're land-locked. Then during war, whenever I hop into navy battles, the outcome is always less than 1% warscore. The embargos placed on me during times of war aren't terrible either. I can still win a war at 100% blockading.

What am I missing?

The naval system is mostly a carry-over from EU3 and isn't very interesting right now. Blockading will get you some warscore but yeah, even a huge naval battle isn't worth much. I suspect we'll see navies significantly changed somewhere down the line.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 27, 2015

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Avocados posted:

What am I missing?

Navies play a niche roll. With a good navy in certain situations you can take on a much more powerful enemy. Say you're The Knights and are at war with the Mamluks, you wait until they transport their army to your island, then you send in your fleet, crush theirs, and their army is trapped while you siege them down. Once you have a really dominant navy no one can really stand in your way in that regard. As a colonizer navies are very important, as well as if you're playing the trade game.

Blockading is actually pretty useful later if you're siegeing coastal fortresses, because without the blockade it will take way longer.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I wish naval combat was more interesting, so that it might warrant taking the Naval idea group. Maybe some kind of bastardization of an attrition system in sea zones. Because right now, naval battles are pretty much won by whoever spent more money.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Node posted:

I wish naval combat was more interesting, so that it might warrant taking the Naval idea group. Maybe some kind of bastardization of an attrition system in sea zones. Because right now, naval battles are pretty much won by whoever spent more money.

Eh, if you don't have Maritime and run into someone who does, they'll gladly murder twice their number in ships and then some unless you lucked on a high maneuver admiral. Of course, the Naval group is still awful and pales in comparison to Maritime, which also unlocks some neat stuff.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Cynic Jester posted:

Eh, if you don't have Maritime and run into someone who does, they'll gladly murder twice their number in ships and then some unless you lucked on a high maneuver admiral. Of course, the Naval group is still awful and pales in comparison to Maritime, which also unlocks some neat stuff.

I just take Maritime for the +50% force limits and the awesome ability to repair in coastal zones. I've seriously never seen battles play out the way you describe, and I wish I did. It'd be awesome to see a 4/5/6 Admiral McFuckface destroy twice his numbers and have him take a huge chunk of warscore with him.

Illithid
Aug 23, 2007
Did you know that it is possible to switch between some formable nations indefinately, at no cost?

Just tried it in a game, and alternated between Westphalia and Scandinavia.
If you are Emperor it removes, and then readds your provinces to the HRE, for basically infinite IA.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Permanent 100 prestige :shittypop:

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Kalos posted:

My Pope game I am there too. Also gain 3.33 devotion a year while at 100. None of my top numbers ever stay below 100 for long :P

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
For what it's worth, as a republic you could tank your RT until you become a republican dictatorship and then form Italy with the decision. I think you stay a republican dictatorship even when an event would change the government form. Then you get RT up again to become a real republic when your dictator bites the dust. I'm not sure if it still works but I don't think that was ever patched, or it's working as intended.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Kalos posted:

Yeah that one is quite easy.
Permanent 100 army tradition is a bit trickier

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think I'm going to have to give up on the Re-Reconquista for now. By no means am I an expert player but there's so much RNG involved in just surviving it's crazy. The worst was when Aragon invaded Castille and took four provinces and then I followed up by taking three for myself and releasing Leon. Then the Iberian Wedding promptly fires and it doesn't matter anyway because Aragon is under PU. My latest run went alright because Castille never picked the mission to Finish the Reconquista so I ate up Morocco and Tlemcen but got stuck at at Tunis who was bffs with the Ottomans forever. But then at some point in the late 16th century Castille finally found the Reconquista mission and just kept coming at me like a crazed axe murderer as soon as the truce was over.

It definitely feels like the best way to do it is to cheese it by converting to Catholicism so you can get involved in European politics and actually have allies that do things. Which sucks because being Muslim is awesome.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

BabyFur Denny posted:

Yeah that one is quite easy.
Permanent 100 army tradition is a bit trickier
Yeah, I didn't even intentionally go for it, I just noticed that I was maxed out for quite a while and decided to find out what's up. Just never played the right combo of nations and religions to top off before. I'm not sure if Perma-tradition is even possible.

Eej posted:

I think I'm going to have to give up on the Re-Reconquista for now. By no means am I an expert player but there's so much RNG involved in just surviving it's crazy. The worst was when Aragon invaded Castille and took four provinces and then I followed up by taking three for myself and releasing Leon. Then the Iberian Wedding promptly fires and it doesn't matter anyway because Aragon is under PU. My latest run went alright because Castille never picked the mission to Finish the Reconquista so I ate up Morocco and Tlemcen but got stuck at at Tunis who was bffs with the Ottomans forever. But then at some point in the late 16th century Castille finally found the Reconquista mission and just kept coming at me like a crazed axe murderer as soon as the truce was over.

It definitely feels like the best way to do it is to cheese it by converting to Catholicism so you can get involved in European politics and actually have allies that do things. Which sucks because being Muslim is awesome.

The standard strategy for Re-Reonquista is to escape to the new world, build your Muslim Empire Of Doom in North America (thanks, Obama) and then sail back to the Old World to get your homeland back. Even then you can get screwed by random chance.

Mexico go home you're drunk.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 27, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Might be old, but it made me laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5WcHbA8kjY

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Done with the Sweden achievement, after a long process of eating Russia and Lithuania. Having a whole sea to myself is nice, but I'm now as strong as all the rest of Europe. Is there anything else that's interesting to do in the 18th century, if I don't feel like leaving Europe?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Arumba is clearly Sweden.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Done with the Sweden achievement, after a long process of eating Russia and Lithuania. Having a whole sea to myself is nice, but I'm now as strong as all the rest of Europe. Is there anything else that's interesting to do in the 18th century, if I don't feel like leaving Europe?

Dismantle the HRE.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Kalos posted:

I had Haiti conquering Valencia and Lousiana. This is almost as bad.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Transmetropolitan posted:

I had Haiti conquering Valencia and Lousiana. This is almost as bad.

My favorite distant occupation I've seen is Haiti occupying Kyoto and parts of Korea. But they ended up not taking anything.

Bonus pic: Wu

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalos posted:

Yeah, I didn't even intentionally go for it, I just noticed that I was maxed out for quite a while and decided to find out what's up. Just never played the right combo of nations and religions to top off before. I'm not sure if Perma-tradition is even possible.

The standard strategy for Re-Reonquista is to escape to the new world, build your Muslim Empire Of Doom in North America (thanks, Obama) and then sail back to the Old World to get your homeland back. Even then you can get screwed by random chance.

We had American Croatia/Belgium and Mexican North Africa in one of the EG games last month. It feels so ridiculous to do stuff like that.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

We had American Croatia/Belgium and Mexican North Africa in one of the EG games last month. It feels so ridiculous to do stuff like that.

And just think, with the Cossacks expansion they'll actually be named those things

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

PittTheElder posted:

They're permanent in 1.14.

This is both the best news and the worst news since I'm about to hit the "form Hindustan" button as Bengal.

If only the patch had a release date :smith:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

VerdantSquire posted:

I don't think this is correct. I'm still seeing -15% tax and manpower from same culture group provinces that aren't accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PAWGChamp posted:

I don't think this is correct. I'm still seeing -15% tax and manpower from same culture group provinces that aren't accepted.
I believe same culture group is auto that and is only accepted if you have a Cultural Union or that culture is above the Threshold.

• Locked thread