Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Bingo.

Damon Lindelof posted:

We had basically locked our first three episodes by the time that episode of "Mr. Robot," aired, and we actually used the piano version of "Where Is My Mind?" in episode three as well for a montage with Laurie. And it worked perfectly. It was super emotional and amazing and it resonated between Kevin and Laurie in this weird way, etc. So when we saw the episode of "Mr. Robot," it was like, "God drat it." The initial Pixies song, it was a nod to "Fight Club," and it was like, "Oh God, this is so interesting that Sam (Esmail) is doing the same nod to 'Fight Club' at the same time that we are. This is in the zeitgeist." At the same time yes, Andy Greenwald, who doesn’t need any more reasons to poo poo on "The Leftovers," is going to have a field day on that. And you know what? Andy Greenwald is going to have a field day on "The Leftovers," anyway.

But I did track down Sam to email him and basically say, "I just wanted you to know we’re using 'Where is My Mind?' We were using it before we saw 'Mr. Robot' and if people perceive it as a tip of the cap to 'Mr. Robot,' that’s just fine with me as your show is brilliant." And I think that he was perfectly content with that email. So you know what? It’s out there, and ultimately in the here and now of watching "The Leftovers" when that episode airs, I’m sure that there’s a lot of overlap in "Mr. Robot" viewership and "Leftovers" viewership where people will perceive it as, "Oh god, they’re ripping off 'Mr. Robot,'" and I’m fine with that. But ultimately, the show is going to live many, many months and many years from now, I hope, and so the correspondence musically, no one will have any real sense of. We cut the entire sequence of Kevin digging up Patti and all that stuff to the Pixies, so there was no going back.[/url]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Wait, what? Was Laurie faking being in GR?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
No, but she's out of the GR now and wants to help other people get out.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 24, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

thehustler posted:

Wait, what? Was Laurie faking being in GR?

So, do you watch this show, or...?

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
It's interesting to see the GR becoming violent with Meg, presumably, leading it now. I'm really curious to see where they take that and how radical the group may get. Maybe it's a one time incident to warn Laurie to stop hitting GR people with her car but I doubt it's going to stop there.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

~*like*~

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

People do realise that the opening titles song is openly telling the viewer not to expect answers to the show's mysteries, right? I mean, it's so explicit that it really doesn't need mentioning, but no one has mentioned it so far despite a good bit of talk about the opening, so I thought maybe someone should make sure.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

People do realise that the opening titles song is openly telling the viewer not to expect answers to the show's mysteries, right? I mean, it's so explicit that it really doesn't need mentioning, but no one has mentioned it so far despite a good bit of talk about the opening, so I thought maybe someone should make sure.

Ok

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I caught up with this new season this morning, and, gently caress, is it good.

Dantu posted:

So they just took two characters I really didn't give a poo poo about from season one and told a story with them that was so engrossing I probably wouldn't have noticed if my couch was on fire. This show is astoundingly good.

Also, new intro has really grown on me.

I never woulda thought Tommy had a scene like his episode-ending Holy Wayne monologue in him judging from his character last season, dude nailed that poo poo

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

InFlames235 posted:

It's interesting to see the GR becoming violent with Meg, presumably, leading it now. I'm really curious to see where they take that and how radical the group may get. Maybe it's a one time incident to warn Laurie to stop hitting GR people with her car but I doubt it's going to stop there.

It's not clear that Meg even knows about her hitting people with the car, but if she did, she and the GR wouldn't want her or anyone else to stop. They didn't want people to stop burning down their houses with them in them last season. Without writing a whole article or book about it, the GR is and always was all about trolling and suicide. The reason they don't just go off and kill themselves (a not-unheard-of thing for a cult to do) is because that would be letting the rest of humanity off easy. (And off unenlightened, I guess.)

Fiction has been spending a lot of time on suicide pretty much since fiction began, but this is the first TV series (or anything, probably) I've seen that focuses intently on trolling, specifically by taking what is or began as an internet thing and taking it essentially entirely off-internet.

Also, I don't think Meg is leading the whole GR. Maybe no one is. She could easily be in charge of a "chapter" or group of them.

If this series has an overall arc, it's probably about whether the GR takes over society and ends what remains of humanity. Jarden has to be at the top of their poo poo list/target list. The GR might have tried to fake a mini-departure there by trying to kidnap some teenagers there without a trace, but we'll have to see.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I just finished watching "Off Ramp" again and I think it is probably the best episode of the series to date. I really liked season one, but with the material from the book done I was a little skeptical there was anywhere left to go with this story. I'm very happy to have been 100% wrong. I don't know if they can keep this hot streak going but it's been a hell of a ride so far.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery
Kevin getting Rick-rolled by Patty may be the strangest thing yet on this show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This loving show. Leaps and bounds better than last season. I hope we get about 3 more seasons with more mysteries, more craziness, more excellent cinematography like when Nora fainted.

Also, I think Kevin killed the girls, and Patti didn't want to tell him that. Maybe she worked with his 'other self' to make it look like they vanished. She didn't specifically say they departed.

Also, she only knows what he knows, so I doubt anything happened to the girls that Kevin didn't witness or cause.

I'm pretty sure that dude on the tower asking who Kevin's friend is is just realizing he's talking to someone in his head when Kevin's yelling "shut the gently caress up". I'm sure tower guy is familiar with that behaviour.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Jill's a heavy sleeper.

nopants
May 29, 2004
These first four episodes have been excellent. I have no idea where this is going. More Dr. who please.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think a large part of what makes this season excellent is that characters actually talk about major stuff, and when they don't they actually acknowledge they are not talking about it. It is great to watch great actors react to crazy conversations, instead of somehow just trying to always hide it.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Man between this show and The Walking Dead I sure do get a hard dose of apocalyptic nihilism every Sunday. Lovin it.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
This is the best show on TV right now.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Peeling up the orange sticker at the end...

drat, a powerful scene.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

I honestly couldn't figure out if she got out and then tried to help people, or if she was faking the whole thing to research it. Maybe I missed something specific.

I need to put my phone down during TV shows.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 26, 2015

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

thehustler posted:

I honestly couldn't figure out if she got out and then tried to help people, or if she was faking the whole thing to research it. Maybe I missed something specific.

I think you missed the part where she lead the GR into provoking the town into beating them and burning their houses down while allowing her daughter to be present and in GR costume for the town's retaliation. It was sort of a huge major event in the show.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

thehustler posted:

you sound like a millennial :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadow posted:

you sound like a millennial :(

I do this for a LOT of shows, but The Leftovers definitely isn't one of them. Actually, most HBO/AMC shows (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul) has my complete attention.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yeah I carry on conversations but I tend to pause if they get more than simple responses every few minutes.

My companion indulgence during TV shows or movies is IMDB.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

popejackson posted:

This is the best show on TV right now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadow posted:

Yeah I carry on conversations but I tend to pause if they get more than simple responses every few minutes.

My companion indulgence during TV shows or movies is IMDB.

The moment I finish a movie or get caught up with a show, I research the poo poo out of what I just saw on IMDB. I just love movie trivia waaaaayy too much.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

The moment I finish a movie or get caught up with a show, I research the poo poo out of what I just saw on IMDB. I just love movie trivia waaaaayy too much.

Same here... I know so much poo poo about so much poo poo that doesn't matter which a lot stem from TV or Movies. Hey, that's an interesting topic that person just said. I guess it's time to read about it for the next 3 hours on WIkipedia or whatever.

If I'm on your trivia team, we're going to win.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Anyone cross referenced the goat in episode 1 with the goat being dragged out of the general store/building in the most recent episode? IS IT THE SAME GOAT!?

(Probably not.)

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
poo poo was *I* a millennial and not paying attention because I don't remember a goat being dragged out of a general store.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
This show should sweep the drama Emmys next year. The acting, writing and directing this season have all been absolutely superb.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Shadow posted:

poo poo was *I* a millennial and not paying attention because I don't remember a goat being dragged out of a general store.

There was a goat at the gas station where Nora got the cigarettes and whisky. Not sure how it could be the 'same goat' barring time travel shenanigans though, seeing as the one we saw before was decidedly dead last we saw it and that event clearly took place before this. Same goat herder, though.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Le Saboteur posted:

This show should sweep the drama Emmys next year. The acting, writing and directing this season have all been absolutely superb.

It should, but with the changes that now voters aren't required to watch all nominees before voting on the winner means that ratings juggernaughts like GoT have a built in advantage over shows with small viewrship, like this one.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

This loving show. Leaps and bounds better than last season. I hope we get about 3 more seasons with more mysteries, more craziness, more excellent cinematography like when Nora fainted.

Also, I think Kevin killed the girls, and Patti didn't want to tell him that. Maybe she worked with his 'other self' to make it look like they vanished. She didn't specifically say they departed.

Also, she only knows what he knows, so I doubt anything happened to the girls that Kevin didn't witness or cause.

I'm pretty sure that dude on the tower asking who Kevin's friend is is just realizing he's talking to someone in his head when Kevin's yelling "shut the gently caress up". I'm sure tower guy is familiar with that behaviour.

Echoing this, my wife gave up on season one since it was too muddled. I feel like I'm reaping the rewards of sticking with it since that season ended well and this season is killing it. Some random thoughts:

- The neighbor John gave me a Fahrenheit 451 vibe as the fireman who burns poo poo down.
- Loved how we saw Laurie wash her car a couple times before they reveal what she was doing.
- When Liv's character was screwing Tom Garvey I thought they were going to frame him for rape, really not sure what the hell that was all about.
- Holy Wayne part 2, he was really convincing, not sure if he was bluffing.
- Kevin waking up from a failed suicide attempt and the conversation with Patti were really powerful, like do I want to die that much and am not willing to admit it?
- Dude in the tower knows crazy when he sees it, like the poster I quoted noted.
- Looking forward to an episode or two from now when Nora wakes up being dragged by the handcuffs as Kevin takes her out on one of his sleepwalking jaunts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

tomapot posted:

- Holy Wayne part 2, he was really convincing, not sure if he was bluffing.

I'm really surprised that this is a grey area for some people. Unless the show is going to fake us all out later with this actually being real, it felt quite a bit like he and Laurie were purposely faking this so people would have something else to believe in after they've left the GR.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

I'm really surprised that this is a grey area for some people. Unless the show is going to fake us all out later with this actually being real, it felt quite a bit like he and Laurie were purposely faking this so people would have something else to believe in after they've left the GR.

Maybe bluffing is the wrong word, not the Holy Wayne hug-power transfer so much as how much Tom veers from nihilistic, maybe the GR are right, to convincingly delivering the Holy Wayne solution. Isn't he going to wind up in the same self-loathing position but now fueled by being a fraud.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I've not gone back and watched it myself, but apparently there are a few instances that could point to Tommy actually having something going on with him: he contrives an excuse to not hug Jill in the diner, he offers his mom a hug at her lowest point that she rejects, Liv Tyler perhaps trying to make a magic baby with him while keeping his arms restrained, him watching Holy Wayne videos before conceivably his mom and he have come up with their plan, it offering an explanation for what Wayne was doing when he and Tommy met back up at the end of last season... I'd say there is definitely enough there to keep things ambiguous at least as to whether they are straight up lying or not.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Comrade Fakename posted:

But that's been the hook of the show ever since the first episode. Even the book doesn't mention what happened, we're sharing the anguish of the characters of never really knowing why, we're just trying to cope with the crushing sadness and the new world that emerged from it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I'm really surprised that this is NOT a gray area for some people. It's a Damon Lindelof show that is openly touting its ambiguity. Why is a guy that can hug away pain so unbelievable in a world where millions of people vanished into thin air simultaneously?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
People have been really adamant about there being nothing weird going on in this show (aside from the departure) since season one, even though it's entirely clear that the writers are heavily leaning on ambiguity. The head people are the most obvious thing, but everything from Wayne hugging the pain away to Matt's wife mysteriously getting better for one night are clearly meant to be ambiguous. It doesn't mean everything that happens on the show is supernatural, but you're crazy if you don't think this stuff is supposed to be intentionally mysterious.

That said, I think it's pretty clear that Laurie and Tommy are running a scam to try to ease people out of the GR. Part of that is just that their conversation right before the last scene more or less says it outright, but part of it is also that otherwise it'd be an implicit reveal that, yes, Wayne really did have superpowers.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Did tommy hug his mom at the end of last season? It wouldn't have been something to pay attention to at the time but would be pretty interesting to go back and see.

• Locked thread