Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Smoothrich posted:

Hillary is so bad, you have no idea. She's going to fall apart in a general election. She's an heiress beyond scrutiny in this NYC/Beltway media bubble world, but not the real one. Biden would've been a better candidate, he wasn't so patronizing and elitist in his manners and methods like Hillary is. She's exactly the kind of candidate that a completely out of touch Democratic Party needs to run to lose in a landslide too. She's cringeworthy to a lot of people to even hear speak, its like a "brown note" blaring that upsets people even in focus study groups so they keep her voice and mannerisms out of media, just her name in it.

This post is masterfully crafted to sound like the disillusioned people being written about who ignore all poll numbers and just assume there is too much Hillary Hatorade for her to be electable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It Hillary is really so transparently guilty then she should still be elected over the GOP candidate, because even worse than being guilty of some weird, nebulous transgression is being so incompetent that you can't prove the guilt of one super obviously guilty person despite years and millions of dollars and tons of political capital. Who do you want to have the keys to the nukes?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Epic High Five posted:

It Hillary is really so transparently guilty then she should still be elected over the GOP candidate, because even worse than being guilty of some weird, nebulous transgression is being so incompetent that you can't prove the guilt of one super obviously guilty person despite years and millions of dollars and tons of political capital. Who do you want to have the keys to the nukes?

Trump

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

mlmp08 posted:

This post is masterfully crafted to sound like the disillusioned people being written about who ignore all poll numbers and just assume there is too much Hillary Hatorade for her to be electable.

Nope, he's a crazy person and I often feel bad about making fun of him.
The sheer volume of material that he manages to post almost completely excludes him from being a troll and puts him in the crazy person scenario.
He doesn't just post a lot, every post is a longform gem.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Pohl posted:

The sheer volume of material that he manages to post almost completely excludes him from being a troll and puts him in the crazy person scenario.

It feels like talking to a reincarnation of Caro (PBUH), honestly.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

Hillary is so bad, you have no idea. She's going to fall apart in a general election. She's an heiress beyond scrutiny in this NYC/Beltway media bubble world, but not the real one. Biden would've been a better candidate, he wasn't so patronizing and elitist in his manners and methods like Hillary is. She's exactly the kind of candidate that a completely out of touch Democratic Party needs to run to lose in a landslide too. She's cringeworthy to a lot of people to even hear speak, its like a "brown note" blaring that upsets people even in focus study groups so they keep her voice and mannerisms out of media, just her name in it.

It's like if Kyoon tried his hand at trolling.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alter Ego posted:

It's like if Kyoon tried his hand at trolling.

Kyoon would be way better since his posts would be like a Randpaul speech, starting halfway rational then taking the express train to crazytown halfway through.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Pohl posted:

He doesn't just post a lot, every post is a longform gem.

Smooth Toblerone.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

What the hell happened in 1984 :psyduck:

It was a lot like 2012, except that the Reagan administration competently dealt with the crippling economy and recession it faced from the get-go so he won in a land-slide, as opposed to the Obama administration which won, but lost ground from 2008, on the strength of incompetent economic policy and falling back on fear-mongering "war on women" crap. Reagan was able to run on his economic record, Obama after getting smashed by Romney in the 1st debate which was the economy debate had to pivot the next day to campaigning on WOMEN'S HEALTH. To his credit and Romney's discredit it actually worked. The GOP royally hosed up a gimme in 2012 with major national candidates feeding right into the war on women crap with "legitimate rape" comments.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Montasque posted:

I saw a Mitt Romney drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect

AWOOO werewolves of London's not ready for the Olympics.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

the_paradigm_shift posted:

lol, first term when he hasn't even seen a primary and the general map so bad for the GOP? sure, why not amuse yourself with silly dreams

In 2007 Hillary was the defacto nominee for months and months, until Obama started catching on, democrats saw him as viable and endorsements started snowballing. Then he won the primary and general in a landslide, now democrats from coast to coast are proud to run on his record, except for a few contentious issues they need to deal with come re-election time.

Hillary is still far and away the favorite to become our next president, but thinking she's a lock is naive regardless of who wins the republican nom. Should Trump win it and go to win the general, the old school republicans who originally pinned their White House hopes on dreams on JEB! will fall in line.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/politics/ben-carson-donald-trump-cbs-poll/index.html

Haha, remember when I said in this thread a few days ago that Trump attacking Carson would make Trump fall in the polls?

I'm not crazy, I'm Really Smart, just like Dr. Ben is. He's probably going to uplift America out of poverty with his own GIfted Hands, or get assassinated by a Democrat once people realize he's not some gimmick.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's wrong. Obama was a strong candidate going all the way back to the 2004 dnc.

There was no de facto nominee.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is Carsons "surge" just the evangelical wing deciding on someone with the rest of the GOP primary voters still undecided ?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/politics/ben-carson-donald-trump-cbs-poll/index.html

Haha, remember when I said in this thread a few days ago that Trump attacking Carson would make Trump fall in the polls?

I'm not crazy, I'm Really Smart, just like Dr. Ben is. He's probably going to uplift America out of poverty with his own GIfted Hands, or get assassinated by a Democrat once people realize he's not some gimmick.

His Gifted Hands probably killed a bunch of people, hth

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

euphronius posted:

That's wrong. Obama was a strong candidate going all the way back to the 2004 dnc.

There was no de facto nominee.

While Hillary might not have been defacto in 2008, she was by all accounts very strongly favored at the beginning. Obama was, prior to Iowa, thought of as an interesting up-and-comer who'd likely go places once Hillary's term(s) were over (or possibly even serve on her cabinet), but he was in no way broadly expected to last all that long in the primary. Any serious challenge was thought to come, hilariously in retrospect, from John Edwards

Smoothrich posted:

You heard him guys, he's Really Smart. What a relief to learn, given that we'd all written him off as either a crazy idiot and/or low-order TT wannabe.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Boosted_C5 posted:

It was a lot like 2012, except that the Reagan administration competently dealt with the crippling economy and recession it faced from the get-go so he won in a land-slide, as opposed to the Obama administration which won, but lost ground from 2008, on the strength of incompetent economic policy and falling back on fear-mongering "war on women" crap. Reagan was able to run on his economic record, Obama after getting smashed by Romney in the 1st debate which was the economy debate had to pivot the next day to campaigning on WOMEN'S HEALTH. To his credit and Romney's discredit it actually worked. The GOP royally hosed up a gimme in 2012 with major national candidates feeding right into the war on women crap with "legitimate rape" comments.

Did Reagan have congressional Democrats promise to fight everything he wanted tooth and nail? Before he was shot, obviously. :rip:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

euphronius posted:

Is Carsons "surge" just the evangelical wing deciding on someone with the rest of the GOP primary voters still undecided ?

It's like Bachmann's "surge" and Cain's "surge" and Gingrich's "surge" and Fiorina's "surge".

Ben Carson is getting a lot of media attention, which is causing people to recognize his name and respond favorably in polls. In a few days or a few weeks the some other event like a poll fluke, a straw poll win, a good debate performance, or a viral video will highlight another candidate and the media will start covering them more, at which point the added attention on someone new combined with the more recent negative coverage of Carson will lead to a polling decline.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
doublepost

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

maybe if they all rush him at the same time he'll stop campaigning

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Is this the beginning of Trump's slide?

Will Jeb!mentum take off now?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

It's like Bachmann's "surge" and Cain's "surge" and Gingrich's "surge" and Fiorina's "surge".

Ben Carson is getting a lot of media attention, which is causing people to recognize his name and respond favorably in polls. In a few days or a few weeks the some other event like a poll fluke, a straw poll win, a good debate performance, or a vital video will highlight another candidate and the media will start covering them more, at which point the added attention on someone new combined with the more recent negative coverage of Carson will lead to a polling decline.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing that Ben Carson could say the same things Trump is saying and remain bulletproof (outside Iowa that is, anyway, because Iowa Republicans are horrible)

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Joementum posted:

Ben Carson is getting a lot of media attention, which is causing people to recognize his name and respond favorably in polls. In a few days or a few weeks the some other event like a poll fluke, a straw poll win, a good debate performance, or a viral video will highlight another candidate and the media will start covering them more, at which point the added attention on someone new combined with the more recent negative coverage of Carson will lead to a polling decline.

My first instict is to say you're right, but then I remeber that we all thought that with Trump back in June.

This cycle...:psyduck:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Nastier Nate posted:

My first instict is to say you're right, but then I remeber that we all thought that with Trump back in June.

This cycle...:psyduck:

I'm willing to believe that Trump is playing by his own rules this cycle, and the surge->scrutiny->decline cycle we saw in 2012 doesn't apply to him, even though he still won't be the nominee.

But I think it's definitely what's happening with Carson, and what happened with Fiorina. My guess is it'll be Cruz's turn next.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, I have a hard time believing that Ben Carson could say the same things Trump is saying and remain bulletproof (outside Iowa that is, anyway, because Iowa Republicans are horrible)

Ben Carson doesn't speak with insults, he speaks with experience from rising through every socioeconomic level in America guided with both Christian values and Scientific methods as a morally infallible reformist. He's some kind of unstoppable force if he takes over the narrative.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Smoothrich posted:

Ben Carson doesn't speak with insults, he speaks with experience from rising through every socioeconomic level in America guided with both Christian values and Scientific methods as a morally infallible reformist. He's some kind of unstoppable force if he takes over the narrative.

herman-cain-newt-gingrich-michelle-bachmann-2012.txt

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I still find it funny how quietly and quickly Fiorina went from THE ANTI-TRUMP to basically nothing with barely a whimper. I guess it's hard to get those large donors to help you take advantage of your surge if everyone with half a brain knows you're a poo poo businesswoman.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Joementum posted:

I'm willing to believe that Trump is playing by his own rules this cycle, and the surge->scrutiny->decline cycle we saw in 2012 doesn't apply to him, even though he still won't be the nominee.

But I think it's definitely what's happening with Carson, and what happened with Fiorina. My guess is it'll be Cruz's turn next.

that's terrible news, i dont want to have to look at or listen to cruz even if hes sinking his campaign

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Cruz does seem likely, if only as the third attempt at providing a non-Trump 'outsider' following Fiorina and Carson

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Thump! posted:

herman-cain-newt-gingrich-michelle-bachmann-2012.txt

He's not any of those guys, he's a loving neuroscientist. I read his book talking about his work in Africa, his experience in executive management of various enterprises, his deep connection with the black community and everyone else in poverty because he grew up in it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Picture-Ben-Carson/dp/031023834X

I read that book while in jail and realized he's some magical force of Good that everyone loves for a reason. He's inspiring insightful and compassionate in a way a privileged blowhard like Trump or any other guy in politics isn't.

Carson 2016: The Smart Choice

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Joementum posted:

Do you think tomorrow's debate will decide the next Not-Trump?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Related to the surge/scrutiny/decline model we've been talking about : a NYT/CBS poll released this morning is the first national poll that puts Carson ahead of Trump, 26 to 22

Cruz cratered pretty bad in this one but we'll see what the spin ends up being after tomorrow

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Tomorrow's the big day! Although, the thought of listening to Fiorina/Cruz/Huckabee say ANYTHING turns my stomach. Fiorina had two artificial, media-created bumps and neither of them were sustainable... time for her to go.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rappaport posted:

Do you think tomorrow's debate will decide the next Not-Trump?

It could! Cruz has been consistently awful at the debates (hilarious, given his trumpeting of his debate past) and Rubio has been consistently good. Rand has been the most gregarious at them, willing to say things that could get him a lot of attention and he knows tomorrow's debate may be make-or-break for his campaign.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Carson has the highest likability ratings of anybody in the field, because it's impossible to dislike him once you start trusting him. If you weren't being blasted with hate speech about Carson being stupid, even though he appears to be incredibly intelligent, you'd realize Dr. Ben is a good guy. He just thinks the Democrats are evil, like all black Republicans do.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Smoothrich posted:

Carson has the highest likability ratings of anybody in the field, because it's impossible to dislike him once you start trusting him. If you weren't being blasted with hate speech about Carson being stupid, even though he appears to be incredibly intelligent, you'd realize Dr. Ben is a good guy. He just thinks the Democrats are evil, like all black Republicans do.

What sorts of statements have you heard from Carson that makes you think that he has any policy or governing intelligence?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hillary is way more sera to

Captain_Maclaine posted:

While Hillary might not have been defacto in 2008, she was by all accounts very strongly favored at the beginning. Obama was, prior to Iowa, thought of as an interesting up-and-comer who'd likely go places once Hillary's term(s) were over (or possibly even serve on her cabinet), but he was in no way broadly expected to last all that long in the primary. Any serious challenge was thought to come, hilariously in retrospect, from John Edwards

You heard him guys, he's Really Smart. What a relief to learn, given that we'd all written him off as either a crazy idiot and/or low-order TT wannabe.

I honestly do not remember 2008 that way at all. It was always a pretty strong 4 way race all through 2007.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In fact looking at Wikipedia Obama was matching HRC in fundraising and Iowa was a three way tie more or less at the end of 2007.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I'm not really worried about Carson's surge. Unlike Trump, Carson doesn't actually have any logical and concrete policy positions or proposals. Also he doesn't have the infrastructure and ground game. He's basically reminding me of Newt Gingrich from 2012. The break for a book tour is pretty revealing.

Trump may be an outsider and may not bow to political correctness or GOP special interest dogma, but he IS also actually doing the things actual serious candidates do when it comes to hiring staff for a legitimate ground game state-to-state, consulting with experts to come up with policy (whether or not you agree with the policy proposals), etc.

If Rubio or Bush surge, THEN I'll panic.

As it stands, Carson could pull even in the polls and win the Iowa caucus, but it looks like Trump will easily carry the first few primaries. That will pretty much seal the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Giggle Goose posted:

What sorts of statements have you heard from Carson that makes you think that he has any policy or governing intelligence?

I just posted a book of his. He's written like 10 books. They're full of policy and governing intelligence, seriously that's all he talks about. His experience in poverty and model of leadership. Just read or watch anything that isn't Establishment smears, which is everything except his books and my tweets. All this biased poo poo that begins with a premise that he is stupid, is incredibly dishonest for "informing" the public on basic things. Follow me @danpavlosky to get the Real Take on politics, not the hacks and shills.

• Locked thread