Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

Apparently the story goes that Shawn was unhappy with the match because he had to turn heel and was enjoying his face run, and he didn't want to do a clean job unless he got his win back. Hogan reportedly promised that deal, but then went and hosed off again, like Hogan does. So Shawn just said "gently caress it" and made it a comedy match by himself.

It's literally one of my favorite matches in history since against any other opponent I'd be going "wow, screw you shawn you unprofessional baby" but since it's against HULK HOGAN it's loving MOTY entirely because it's The Passion of The Micheals

edit: also the build up had hbk doing the best promo of his life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfC68txPPkw

ParanoidInc fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ayn rand hand job posted:

and how Raven has completely gone off the rails on his character ever since Fall Brawl

No, he was still very much on the rails at that point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Apparently the story goes that Shawn was unhappy with the match because he had to turn heel and was enjoying his face run, and he didn't want to do a clean job unless he got his win back. Hogan reportedly promised that deal, but then went and hosed off again, like Hogan does. So Shawn just said "gently caress it" and made it a comedy match by himself.

Shawn threw a fit because he didn't want to job in the first match in a two match series. Hogan is smart enough to know what that means and said if they were going to do a two match series he'd win both. (Because the only reason Shawn would throw such a fit and demand to win the first match is he planned to fake an injury and not do the job in return.)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hogan never got his win back from Brock, brother. He'll come home eventually.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Plus Sting is in WWE now. He can beat them both in a handicap match.

Isn't Kidman working for WWE production now? He can beat him too.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Sting died for our sports entertainment.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I'm still amazed that WCW never got Yokozuna, even just for one appearance, to give Hogan his win back. I know his weight was out of control, but a. I'm pretty sure by the time he was fired from WWF he could still get medically cleared to work and could do a quick job and b. this company never cared about the well-being of its performers anyway.

bartok
May 10, 2006

DynamiteKidd posted:

I'm still amazed that WCW never got Yokozuna, even just for one appearance, to give Hogan his win back. I know his weight was out of control, but a. I'm pretty sure by the time he was fired from WWF he could still get medically cleared to work and could do a quick job and b. this company never cared about the well-being of its performers anyway.

I heard it wasn't for a lack of trying on Hogan's part.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Yeah, I know WCW wanted him but jt didn't happen somehow.

It's so insanely small-minded of Hogan because it's not like Yoko went over him clean anyway

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Terry's gotta get his heat back, brother

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hogan wanted WCW to sign Yoko instead of Hall and Nash.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan wanted WCW to sign Yoko instead of Hall and Nash.

I'd almost say that's peak Hogan, but in another few pages there will probably be something even more amazing.

I realize it was a few years later, but Yoko was scary (health wise) looking at the Heroes of Wrestling PPV.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Clash of Champions 1996 around midway through the Dungeon of doom is in the ring and during Sullivan ranting the camera keeps cutting to what appears to be a half werewolf half leprechaun guy running around the ring.

What the gently caress was that?

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

MassRafTer posted:

Shawn threw a fit because he didn't want to job in the first match in a two match series. Hogan is smart enough to know what that means and said if they were going to do a two match series he'd win both. (Because the only reason Shawn would throw such a fit and demand to win the first match is he planned to fake an injury and not do the job in return.)

Hahaha, Hogan was playing chess and Shawn was still figuring out checkers.

Shawn's politicking always annoyed me alot more than Hogan's for whatever reason, so I've always enjoyed that story.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Clash of Champions 1996 around midway through the Dungeon of doom is in the ring and during Sullivan ranting the camera keeps cutting to what appears to be a half werewolf half leprechaun guy running around the ring.

That was DeWayne Bruce. He was Braun the Leprechaun. He was introduced in one of those stupid skits. I think he had like, one match before going back to being Sarge.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Anyone got a hundred bucks?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WCW-GREED-2...vsAAOSw0HVWDZUe

WCW Greed press kit complete with promotional CD, an ad proof construction set, and a press release announcing the purchase of WCW by Eric Bischoff's company in January 2001.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Glamorama26 posted:

Hahaha, Hogan was playing chess and Shawn was still figuring out checkers.

Shawn's politicking always annoyed me a lot more than Hogan's for whatever reason, so I've always enjoyed that story.

It's easier to excuse the petty bullshit of someone who actually drew money.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Doomsday Jesus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1-kbwuOJS0

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rip Disney tree

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ParanoidInc posted:

It's literally one of my favorite matches in history since against any other opponent I'd be going "wow, screw you shawn you unprofessional baby" but since it's against HULK HOGAN it's loving MOTY entirely because it's The Passion of The Micheals

edit: also the build up had hbk doing the best promo of his life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfC68txPPkw

Michaels in Montreal may be the best heel promo of all time. Nuclear heat.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

That was DeWayne Bruce. He was Braun the Leprechaun. He was introduced in one of those stupid skits. I think he had like, one match before going back to being Sarge.

What the hell was Sarge's deal anyway? He was nominally in charge of the Power Plant right? The only match I've ever seen was him tagging with Goldberg at some late 90s/early 2000s PPV and they lost, which meant Goldberg was fired or something. I also remember a video some British guy did where he went backstage at WCW, and at one point was point blank asking Sarge questions that would directly break Kayfabe, and Sarge gets a confused look on his face and makes an excuse to leave.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
When he wrestled, DeWayne Bruce mostly was a jobber on a C-show or below in the State Patrol with Lt. James Earl Wright. He was going to get repackaged as Braun the Leprechaun but that gimmick died quickly due to negative reception (it was the only idea too stupid for the Dungeon of Doom, I guess). At some point after that he transitioned into being the head trainer at the Power Plant.

And he also got really mad at Louis Theroux during that interview and had Pez Whately put him through a grueling training session to teach him a lesson.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

He's also famous for running off Dave Bautista in the late 90s.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DynamiteKidd posted:

And he also got really mad at Louis Theroux during that interview and had Pez Whately put him through a grueling training session to teach him a lesson.

The episode of Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends in question.
WCW and Dewayne Bruce really didn't come off well here.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27oqy9_louis-theroux-s-weird-weekends-wrestling_lifestyle

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

He's also famous for running off Dave Bautista in the late 90s.

Wait what, WCW had Batista in the boom era?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

1st AD posted:

Yes

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

1st AD posted:

For about a week in the Power Plant until Sarge ran him off for being a douchebag.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

syzpid posted:

I realize it was a few years later, but Yoko was scary (health wise) looking at the Heroes of Wrestling PPV.
Didn't Vince have a contract waiting for him if he got his weight back 'down' to where it was when he was main eventing?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

:siren: https://www.scribd.com/doc/287131780/1998-Hulk-Hogan-contract-with-WCW

Hogan's 1998 contract. 6 PPVs, 15% or minimum $675,000 out of the PPV revenue, 25% of the gate of all TV he appears at, $4 million downside, PPV rating bonus, 50% of Hogan merch revenue, 25% of NWO merch revenue, creative control clause.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 27, 2015

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I cannot wait for Eric Bischoff to try to claim that those contract details are bogus.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

:siren: https://www.scribd.com/doc/287131780/1998-Hulk-Hogan-contract-with-WCW

Hogan's 1998 contract. 6 PPVs, 15% or minimum $675,000 out of the PPV revenue, 25% of the gate of all TV he appears at, $4 million downside, PPV rating bonus, 50% of Hogan merch revenue, 25% of NWO merch revenue, creative control clause.

gently caress the raft, I want the Hulk Hogan Gumball Machine.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Although those numbers are insane, I'm surprised they're not higher.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
At this point I'm surprised they didn't give him partial ownership of the company.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Although those numbers are insane, I'm surprised they're not higher.

Jerry Flynn was making $150,000 a year and I wasn't even aware he existed period until a year or so back when someone posted his website offering to wrestle at birthday parties

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bischoff denies all of this. Hogan got paid as well as the janitor.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

quote:

WCW acknowledges that Bollea retains the right to exploit his name, image, likeness, voice, and character in connection with non-wrestling related merchandising and licensing including, but not limited to, pasta, pasta restaurants, sandwiches, sun tan oil, health drink mixers, vitamins and merchandise related to Bollea's movies, television movies, and non-wrestling television appearances.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So Hogan still owes WCW for unlicensed meat shoe development activities.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
"[I]ncluding, but not limited to", brother. The Hulkster ain't no jabroni, Jack.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

frankenfreak posted:

"[I]ncluding, but not limited to", brother. The Hulkster ain't no jabroni, Jack.

Should not have spent all his money on pork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Not that I mind, but how are all these contract details being leaked?