Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I finally got my Druid Shoulders and they look pretty boss with my spooky outfit.

They actually have all the ranger pet families represented on them! Including a shark!! They're super tiny and hard to see though. (dyed white to maybe make them show up better)

Where do you get those amazing shoulders?

And in regards to elite spec talk, even if you where able to unlock the entire tree right off the bat, you'd still have a TON of content to go through, I don't mind the gating of the story but I imagine a great many people really wanted to dive into the elite specs first or at least do the HoT stuff with the elite spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i'll check it out, if it works better at all than my drawing tablet i'll count it as a success

edit: oh my god, this is super janky and weird as hell but it's way better than my previous solutions so i guess i'll level alts with this because there's no way i can do HoT content with this lmao

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 27, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

I doubt it's the case, but I've gotten weird graphical bugs like this when running GW1 and GW2 at the same time.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Where do you get those amazing shoulders?

And in regards to elite spec talk, even if you where able to unlock the entire tree right off the bat, you'd still have a TON of content to go through, I don't mind the gating of the story but I imagine a great many people really wanted to dive into the elite specs first or at least do the HoT stuff with the elite spec.

Pretty certain all the armor pieces named after the elite specs come from maxing out that spec's traitline.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ItBurns posted:

I doubt it's the case, but I've gotten weird graphical bugs like this when running GW1 and GW2 at the same time.

Hah no, don't have gw1 installed anymore, there have been a lot of random crashes and glitches with HoT so I just chalked it up to that, enjoy my bug report tivac.

Tivac posted:

Special new BLTC mode, just for you. I'll ask about that tomorrow, looks like Coherent crashed or something.

Because of this I had to delay my daily gem purcahse by like 2 minutes to restart the game, this is unacceptable

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Changed up my necro's look a little bit with some leystone armor (shoulders and chest piece so far)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Has anyone still seen that Bladed coat drop anywhere? I'm betting it's something stupid hard like the Auric basin successful meta-event endchest (and even then RNG).

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Lonk posted:

Changed up my necro's look a little bit with some leystone armor (shoulders and chest piece so far)

WoW Legion looks really cool.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I tomed my Guardian up to 80 because I've been meaning to do that and I wanted to help a friend finish off his last few levels on his Warrior but I spent so much time princessing that he had to go. :rip: But the important thing is that I finished my look on my Guardian:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Azazell0 posted:

Has anyone still seen that Bladed coat drop anywhere? I'm betting it's something stupid hard like the Auric basin successful meta-event endchest (and even then RNG).

Get the second rank of Itzel Lore (language) and you can buy it from the Itzel mastery vendor at the very first WP in Verdant Brink.

Edit: whoops, just checked, that's all the bladed armor EXCEPT the coat. :v:

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 27, 2015

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
Turns out that the precursor collection quest ends up costing you almost as much money as buying it off the TP directly :geno:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3qe2cv/precursor_journey_complete_the_colossus_steps_and/
All of the work this person put into the extra steps ended up saving them ~80-90g out of ~750g. I think we can safely assume that prices on the required materials are going to spike up even more as people attempt this.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I created a salad revenant, Wraith of Yamato :toot:

The color scheme is a bit cliche, but she looks like a smoldering ember at night:

I'm going to replace the shoulders with Bladed ones as soon as I unlock them.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Smith Comma John posted:

Turns out that the precursor collection quest ends up costing you almost as much money as buying it off the TP directly :geno:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3qe2cv/precursor_journey_complete_the_colossus_steps_and/
All of the work this person put into the extra steps ended up saving them ~80-90g out of ~750g. I think we can safely assume that prices on the required materials are going to spike up even more as people attempt this.

Suddenly my decision to save up a few more gold so I can spend my last penny on a BL skin doesn't seem like such a dumb idea!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Smith Comma John posted:

Well that's dumb.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Smith Comma John posted:

Sigh. That's the main thing I was looking forward to from masteries, heh.

Starting to feel the letdown with the expac, as are some others. You can't use new elite specs out of the gate, and everything is behind a grind (with I don't mind sometimes) with what is basically an unlocking system (which I almost never like). Even getting through the new maps is a grind with the difficulty of the mobs.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I never got the impression it was meant to be cheaper. Just guaranteed and doable in small increments. Overall it's still a better system.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ I guess I'm just not sure what the point of it is if it isn't meaningfully cheaper than just buying one off the trading post. Being doable in small increments is nice, I guess, but in the end, you could have put in pretty much the same amount of effort/gold and just bought it off the trading post, which is also "guaranteed."

Smith Comma John posted:

Well, it's clear that ArenaNet like precursor prices just how they are, I guess.

It was probably stupid of me to hope that this expansion would introduce ways to earn really cool rewards via means other than "get a bunch of gold" or "buy gems," but I did hope that. It's probably semantic. It's not necessarily the amount of effort that precursor crafting requires is something I wouldn't be willing to do--it's just that, when you notice at the end that you could've just bought the loving thing for a handful more gold, it really takes all the magic out of it.

I'm starting to wonder if the only winning move really is not to play.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 27, 2015

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
This is no more or less doable in small increments than farming up gold for precursors previously; the huge number of mats you need are functionally the same as a huge gold sink given the existence of the trading post.

e: it's not functionally the same for me since it will drive up mat prices and I will be selling instead of attempting this

Smith Comma John fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 27, 2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also you're still running into the problem that if your increments are too small, by the time you get enough gold for the precursor, its price has increased by 100g again. Except this time, the price of "mats you need a trillion of" has risen by 100g total. Considering how many more steps you need beyond the precursors that can also be broken down to "farm a million mats or the gold for them", I'm not sure we really needed that many more increments that are pure mat/gold sinks TBH.

It gives you a more immediate sense of "working" on the legendary than simply being lucky or spending 100 bucks worth of gems on an item on the TP, which has some value of course, but overall it feels a bit pointless.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The kind nerds over at DnT posted a video on how to squeeze a good amount of DPS out of the Dragon Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWKSOGhLDi8

Seems like good stuff, got me back in the mood to grind for the HP to finish out the tree. Took me about an hour to get 10 HP from WvW, I think that is going to be the best method to grind it out.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Mesadoram posted:

The kind nerds over at DnT posted a video on how to squeeze a good amount of DPS out of the Dragon Hunter.

Seems like good stuff, got me back in the mood to grind for the HP to finish out the tree. Took me about an hour to get 10 HP from WvW, I think that is going to be the best method to grind it out.

No, that sounds dumb. If it takes you an hour to get 10 HP from WvW, its better to just run to the soloable HP in the new zones and spend like 10 minutes for 10 HP. The Dulfy guides for the first three zones have enough soloable ones that you can probably get like 120 in like 2-3 hours depending on whether you have the gliding, updraft and mushroom jumping.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
An hour for ten hps seems pretty low.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

quote:

The Heroic Notary and Notarized Scrolls have been disabled temporarily to deal with an exploit. We’ll enable them again as soon as we fix the issue.

Posted late last night by their security lead.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I have a question about game mechanics. So assuming someone puts down a pulsing AoE spell like Necro wells and then gains Might stacks after casting it, does the well damage increase? Or does the entire Well duration use whatever your power was when you first cast it?

I'd assume the well damage changes depending on your changing might, but I know some MMOs in the past have done the later.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Everything is fluid. Your damage will change on the fly based on whatever buffs and debuffs your character has on every pulse.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

UchihaHirou posted:

No, that sounds dumb. If it takes you an hour to get 10 HP from WvW, its better to just run to the soloable HP in the new zones and spend like 10 minutes for 10 HP. The Dulfy guides for the first three zones have enough soloable ones that you can probably get like 120 in like 2-3 hours depending on whether you have the gliding, updraft and mushroom jumping.

Oh yeah? Going to look into that when I get home, right now I only have gliding. But that sounds much better than WvW (even though WvW is pretty fun).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

orcane posted:

Also you're still running into the problem that if your increments are too small, by the time you get enough gold for the precursor, its price has increased by 100g again. Except this time, the price of "mats you need a trillion of" has risen by 100g total. Considering how many more steps you need beyond the precursors that can also be broken down to "farm a million mats or the gold for them", I'm not sure we really needed that many more increments that are pure mat/gold sinks TBH.

It gives you a more immediate sense of "working" on the legendary than simply being lucky or spending 100 bucks worth of gems on an item on the TP, which has some value of course, but overall it feels a bit pointless.

I think I'm just disappointed that, once I'm done with the (admittedly pretty cool) HoT story and once I do the (also pretty cool) new world bosses a few times, I'm just going to be back to doing what I did before HoT: doing dumb stuff over and over to accumulate gold. Again, I don't know what I was expecting, so laughing at me is probably warranted, but I'm bummed anyway.

At least I'd be doing it with cool Chronomancer skills and with a few new world bosses to do instead of just Tequila the Sunrise over and over.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I can't wait to play HoT, when it's a free update.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Egotistical to link your own quote? Well my excuse is that without Bccsola, their wouldn't be a quote to quote!

My apologies thieves, but its the truth. :colbert:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

I feel really smug even more smug about having crafted so much ascended armor after seeing how expensive it is now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can't say I expected better, since I have a very low opinion of "accepted" MMO design in general, and of Anet since 2013 in particular, but I don't think it's a laughing matter to hope for more so :hfive:.

Nonetheless, I'm going to derive some fun from the pretty zones, the elite specs (once I have some) and revenants, but I can understand it's disappointing to realize that after 3 years Anet has exactly zero new/better ideas for their game.

Also yeah that ascended price hike is fantastic, well done Mr "economist".

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The new content is fun, gating it behind getting XP in certain areas is pretty lame, and making things like ascended armor pieces even more impossible for fairly casual players to get... well, that's just what ANet likes to do unfortunately.

I still remember when they quadrupled the tokens required to get dungeon gear pre-release, all of us testers were screaming bloody murder in the testing forums but ANet was like "we like it this way"

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

I agree. This is definitely the case if WvW is really that slow. I got like 70 points for my scrapper solo in like 2 hours including a few where I had to solo the champs because nobody showed up to help. The Dulfy guides make it really clear what to do (if you want to spoil it) so it's much faster to get points now if you were tripped up by the maps or mechanics previously.

I'm going to try the trick with alacrity on the bacon one now that I have my chrono almost done if I can find a few brave dentists willing to be my guinea pigs.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

things i have discovered

1. not being a warrior is a major pain in the rear end when it comes to not dying

2. not being a warrior is a moderate pain in the rear end when it comes to dealing damage

3. not being a warrior means being unable to effectively turn off half your skill bar with signets

4. not being a warrior means dealing pretty good ranged damage, if you're a revenant

5. not being a warrior means caring about your elite spec, unless you are an elementalist in which case you will not live long enough to unlock it

6. not being a warrior means it's pretty easy to tag enemies. be a guardian for that

7. not being a warrior means not having healing signet

8. not being a warrior means having to work for your movement speed

9. not being a warrior means you have to use skills to avoid trash mobs, instead of just walking past everything

10. not being a warrior can make some content very frustrating, a problem that does not exist if you are a warrior

11. warrior is ok

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dreggon posted:

8. not being a warrior means having to work for your movement speed

Mecha Legs is the best trait in the worst tree.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Mesadoram posted:

If you join my nightly HP train, you'll get around 150 HP in about an hour and a half with nothing more than basic gliding. And more after that if you have exalted marks, bouncing mushrooms, or updraft usage.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

ItBurns posted:

I agree. This is definitely the case if WvW is really that slow. I got like 70 points for my scrapper solo in like 2 hours including a few where I had to solo the champs because nobody showed up to help. The Dulfy guides make it really clear what to do (if you want to spoil it) so it's much faster to get points now if you were tripped up by the maps or mechanics previously.

I'm going to try the trick with alacrity on the bacon one now that I have my chrono almost done if I can find a few brave dentists willing to be my guinea pigs.

It might be because i had like 100 bonus chests but i got 26 hps in an hour of edge of the mists. 10 per hour is pretty slow, though it might be worth it when you are down to the hardest points left.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Orv posted:

Mecha Legs is the best trait in the worst tree.

Same.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schpyder posted:

If you join my nightly HP train, you'll get around 150 HP in about an hour and a half with nothing more than basic gliding. And more after that if you have exalted marks, bouncing mushrooms, or updraft usage.

About what time do you usually run the HP train? I should probably get it on that. Itching for those high-tier Chronomancer skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Schpyder posted:

I'm on Yaks Bend, can I do cross server groups? Never really did groups in this game besides my friends.

• Locked thread