Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Terry had his own business with that tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
When the game forced me to beat a dog to death with my bare hand, I knew, from the depths of me dead black heart, that this was the sort of hosed-up game that was made for me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Game is bullshit. Talks about difficult choices, why wasn't I able to choose between Terry and the dog??? :colbert:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Internet Kraken posted:

Game is bullshit. Talks about difficult choices, why wasn't I able to choose between Terry and the dog??? :colbert:

Because the correct choice is Terry.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Internet Kraken posted:

I appreciate that, only scenes later, the game gives you the option of "neither"

:getin::unsmigghh:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I don't remember who said it, but someone was talking about how the world was more established: I think that's one of the other problems. The world was a lot more engaging when it was bizarre and mysterious.

Whalley posted:

Brad's a bad guy. It's right there from the start, in the most blatant narrative form possible - we're introduced to him in gameplay by having him kill a dog. It's a technique used in the opening scene of House of Cards, too. It's kind of a whole thing - if you have a character that you want people to know, deep down, that they're Not A Good Person, you have them kill a dog. Buddy's just the detritus of a bad person trying to convince himself he's good.

It's why The Joyful kind of fell flat to me; showing the kind of person Brad created was important, but an entire game devoted to exploring that person needs contrast, and there just wasn't any. It would have made for a better full sequel with a large cast and a world to explore - as it stands, the whole game was kind of one note.

Brad is a good protagonist in my eyes because it shows you how deep inside he's a nice guy, but he's just been too broken by circumstance to ever be able to fix. He's a bad guy but he really tried, at least at one point, not to be.

I think the second point is really accurate.

LtP was a bit shallow in places I had hoped it'd have more depth periodically, but LtJ was like a puddle. I would have liked it a lot more as a full sequel.

DolphinCop posted:

the nice warlords are doomed even without buddy's conquest, what with farty's supply routes being filled with raiders and ambushes,

I'm pretty sure those are Lardy's guys.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 24, 2015

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
no way in hell gary the hot soup was under farty's employ, imo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DolphinCop posted:

no way in hell gary the hot soup was under farty's employ, imo

Agree. The Hot Soup is his own man.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

Agree. The Hot Soup is his own man.

Soup's on, baby.

Yardbomb posted:

The most correct opinion and near objective fact is that if we ever get more Lisa, it needs to just be a full game about Rando's rise to power.

I mean he only dies if you drop him then follow him down and Buddy kills him right? :unsmith:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I want to thank people in this thread for pointing me towards OFF, and it really needn't be said but, holy poo poo, you were not kidding about the fandom.

More relevant. I'm about to write a lot of words. Like, a lot. Because I bothered to read the entire thread.

I want to give the disclaimer that opinions are opinions, and, seeing as they're like your own farts, you may tolerate what yours smell like way more than others will. My opinion is a dissenting one to some of the more colorful reviews the game's DLC got, and since my farts are less off-putting to me than yours, I'm running with them. Your opinions are valid, insofar as they're yours, and that's okay, but I think they're missing some perspective.

That said, I actually rather liked LtJ. I didn't really see a disconnect between 'crying Buddy,' and 'vengeful, angry Buddy,' especially after Joy got introduced into the equation, but I agree wholeheartedly that it felt like it should've been a sequel, not a DLC*, and that the combat mechanics were total poo poo. Still, wallowing in the singular hell that is writing for Brad, saying nothing of Buddy, I can understand why it was truncated. I'd be completely exhausted, if not at the end of my goddamn rope, by the end of writing/programming/playtesting/js;lkadjsajsasa Lisa: the Painful.

It's unfortunate the humor was missing from it, but I think humor, in this installment, would've felt a little strange. There's nothing humorous about the exploits of all these men to Buddy, overall, considering how they view her. To her, the world is pretty loving bleak if she doesn't go out and slaughter some dudes. And even if she does, what then? She knows she's still under constant threat. She can't rule indefinitely. But, under Joy's influence, it's what she knows she needs, and wants, right at that second. Her mutation (and her mutant self's behavior) reflect that. I thought it was interesting. Sad, but really interesting.

I don't know if I'd call it $5 worth, but that's besides the point.

I'm actually kind of surprised at the amount of ??!!! or outright 'she's terrible' responses when it comes to her behavior, though. She's barely a teenager, facing some truly horrible situations, some of which we see in game (holding rando by a barbed wire "thread" scenario among them, jesus) while potentially on some seriously potent drugs. To be honest, I think the 'let's watch all the men be weird like we've watched them be weird for years now' vibe in LtP would've really come off poorly in LtJ. There's not a lot of jokes you can make about the situation without coming off like a 4chan shitbag.

On that note: easy mode is fantastic.

All in all, I thought it was a worthwhile addition. Maybe not the best subject, since the weird/jokey side of things is what attracted a lot of people to it, but, all things considered, I'm glad it was made. And, hate to say this, but I'm glad the jokey part wasn't nearly as prevalent.

Anatharon posted:

I don't remember who said it, but someone was talking about how the world was more established: I think that's one of the other problems. The world was a lot more engaging when it was bizarre and mysterious.

I honestly liked the worldbuilding? And the worldbuilding was pretty goddamn shallow, overall. There wasn't a whole hell of a lot they explained. I'm not sure how that ruins the mystique. For me, it just made me wonder 'what the gently caress was going on' even more.

Different strokes, etc.

Getting personal, I'm honestly wondering if being a woman might have something to do with my reaction to LtJ vs. the more vehement views of Buddy, here. If I think of the volatility of teen years/puberty, as well as the kinds of things I had to deal with during that time, I end up rooting for Buddy more than getting pissed at her 'kill 'em all' attitude. She doesn't have any reason to be altruistic. She's in a poo poo situation, she's probably started her period (sorry, kinda gotta factor that in??), which no one bothered to talk to her about (save to mention that it's yet another reason to stay inside and hate being what she is), she's under constant threat of being raped (emphasized by every guy who sees her immediately attacking, saying NOTHING about the barbed wire scene, which deserves another mention, and another jesus christ), and the men who want to help her just want to cage her.

If I was pre-teen/teenager in that situation, I'd be loving livid, too. If I was a capable fighter, I'd be doing everything I could to get to the top of the shitheap. No one wants to be the 'future' of the entire drat species, knowing that a bunch of guys, ranging from young to old enough to look like a human-shaped ballsac, are going to gently caress the girls that you manage to produce. Add that they don't seem to give a rip about age in this game.

Absolutely no one wants to be an obligate brood mare. I'm having trouble figuring out why that's a sticking point for some people.

Let's go at it from another angle: if you were obligated - legitimately obligated - to gently caress elderly ladies on a regular basis (we're leaving aside non-viable fertility here, stick with the comparison), and were farmed out for that express purpose, would you really go into it like 'yeah, well, obviously, this is a thing that I should, and want to do.' This site is so full of 'lol look at that fatty' that I sincerely doubt that most of you would be on board. Nor should you be. You're allowed to make personal choices. You're allowed to say 'can't stand the fatty,' or 'can't stand the skinny girl,' or 'no thanks, grandma,' and move on. That's the point.

True, the dudes in the game don't really have a choice in the matter, either, since Buddy is literally their only option when it comes to girls, but that, too, is besides the point. Asking a teenager to take on the mantel of 'savior of the human race' is a shitshow, bottom line. Not telling her why she's in that role to begin with (and I understand Brad's aversion to it, don't get me wrong) is going to exacerbate her reaction. More to the point, who wouldn't cry their eyes out when they learn the truth about their existence? So, what, you either stay in a loving cave your entire life, or you have to pop out babies like crazy? Wouldn't you start crying? What other person aside from a literal messiah actually accepted that kind of burden outright? This is keeping in mind that she was groomed to be a post-apocalyptic spinster.

Then, oh, then, her lovely "grandpa" gave her craploads of Joy, on top of that, practically ensuring that she's non-viable for anything but mutants (eventually) anyway.

Until the vaccine shows up, not slicing the christ out of guys is the only thing standing between her, and not being a perpetual rape victim for no reason whatsoever. Accelerate that because of joy, and, well, i'm repeating myself. Assuming Yado wasn't implying that the Joy mutants can reproduce. He might be. I wouldn't put it past him.

Let's not forget that she got her nipple cut off (depending on your choice), and her face cut up, all because of some twisted vendetta a dude had regarding her adopted father, and his dead sister. The angry teenager routine shouldn't be that baffling. That she's angry about being put in the situation where both of those things could happen at all shouldn't be baffling, either. She was used as a tool in LtP - in which she showed her chops/resourcefulness - and struck back in LtJ.

Anyway, tl;dr: Queen poo poo of poo poo mountain forever, I liked this DLC, I'm glad it was made in the tone that it was, and sob Rando.

...annnnnnd the baby at the end did make me cringe a little.

fake edit: sorry for all the words :shobon:

actual edit: I greatly enjoyed LtP. I was, however, very sad that Queen Roger was a Joy addict. :[

* EDIT 2: On second thought, I really don't know that I would've liked seeing it as a full game. I've gotten a bit of an allergy to 'rape around every corner' movies/games/whatever over the years when it comes to female protags. This was just about enough for me, and I was glad to see Buddy's perspective. Again: opinions, farts, etc.

Gosh isn't LtP a good game though???

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 26, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
please don't apologize or give disclaimers for your opinions. your opinions are not like farts, because you should not feel guilty for having them. farts, otoh, you should feel shameful about. i don't fart. it's grotesque.

EDIT: I largely agree with your opinion.

Sally fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 26, 2015

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Blind Sally posted:

please don't apologize or give disclaimers for your opinions. your opinions are not like farts, because you should not feel guilty for having them. farts, otoh, you should feel shameful about. i don't fart. it's grotesque.

Hey there, friend. Funny you should mention,

Blind Sally posted:

The Joyful sucks because it's boring, lacks charm, and has no sense of subtlety.

I forgot to quote this.

I agree with this completely. But there's the rub, really. I think the only way to give it charm/subtlety would be to not focus on Buddy on at all as a protag. I'm honestly stumped as to how 'charm' could enter into the equation besides giving her more time with Rando. In the end, though, what would that do? He's pushing the same agenda as everyone else, he's just being nice about it.

I'm not being a poo poo, I'm actually curious as to how that could be fixed, or even if it *should* be.

also please try to fart every once in a while, rupturing is a bad idea all around

EDIT: Really, though, I think the biggest mistake was putting such high stakes on Buddy. There was no room for subtlety. But whose story could you tell?

I'd settle on Queen or Terry, tbh. They were the only companions with a bit of a hook, and still offered the 'augh oh god why' sadness angle, where necessary. Queen would've hit all the right notes, in that sense, without having to "go there," as LtJ did.

EDIT 2: though I guess Carp was the guy looking after the orphans?? That could be weird, too?

EDIT 3: Meant to only quote the last line of that post, but somehow went with it anyway, blegh tired

VV :agreed: VV

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 26, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

farts are good, and they're important

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm farting right now, tbh.

Old Boot posted:

I agree with this completely. But there's the rub, really. I think the only way to give it charm would be to not focus on Buddy on at all as a protag. I'm honestly stumped as to how 'charm' could enter into the equation besides giving her more time with Rando. In the end, though, what would that do? He's pushing the same agenda as everyone else, he's just being nice about it.

If I'm being more serious and less hyperbolic, the problem isn't even really that The Joyful was poo poo, because it's perfectly serviceable as a bit of game DLC and I enjoyed it for what it was, but it's that it feels like a poor follow up to The Painful. Same reason I'm down on Hotline Miami 2--which I enjoy and is certainly fun, but it feels like a poor companion to the first for various reasons.

Thinking about it, I don't know if there is a way to make Painful more charming or fun. Shifting protagonists is certainly an interesting idea. I wonder if The Joyful should have even been made in the first place? I suppose if I were to give my opinion, I'd say Dingaling shoulda never made The Joyful in the first place.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Blind Sally posted:

I'm farting right now, tbh.

:golfclap:

Blind Sally posted:

If I'm being more serious and less hyperbolic, the problem isn't even really that The Joyful was poo poo, because it's perfectly serviceable as a bit of game DLC and I enjoyed it for what it was, but it's that it feels like a poor follow up to The Painful. Same reason I'm down on Hotline Miami 2--which I enjoy and is certainly fun, but it feels like a poor companion to the first for various reasons.

Thinking about it, I don't know if there is a way to make Painful more charming or fun. Shifting protagonists is certainly an interesting idea. I wonder if The Joyful should have even been made in the first place? I suppose if I were to give my opinion, I'd say Dingaling shoulda never made The Joyful in the first place.

I'll agree that it felt like a disappointment in comparison. It felt like it should've been the epilogue to Painful, but only if it was shorter. I did like the overall info on the Joy mutants, for as little as there was, and I liked the frequency of the mutants. But, really, Joyful could've been a part of the game from the get-go, so, on that merit, it did let me down a bit. But it wasn't a part of the game itself. It was just an add-on, and a punishing one, at that, especially if you didn't go and get the Joyful mask, thanks Sweetheart..

That's not the only issue I saw. There's not enough of an emotional tie to Rando to make that last boss fight stick, either. The music was amazing, the flower as a hand was amazing, and it honestly did make me sad to run through it, but it's still a guy telling you 'please start loving people for us, okay?'

There were a lot of things that really didn't resonate with me, save for the emotional/personal pulls - which, don't get me wrong, had some serious weight to them - but I don't feel like the game earned some of them. It's hard to fully sympathize with Rando until you see the end of LtP on Pain mode, or at all, really, when Buddy points out that Rando knows one of the dudes slain, that he seems sad about him dying, says 'that fat guy's one of my kidnappers,' and Rando doesn't realize why she's okay with his "friend" being dead. Outside of that, I get the impression that Dingaling was trying a little too hard to morally grey in a few too many ways in both installments, and the message got lost in the shuffle.

Bottom line: Joyful is basically just the extended finale of a really, really sad ending. There are ways it could've gone, and I do like the idea of absurdism building up to terrifying realism, but you really need to know what you're doing to pull it off. Dingaling does a fairly good job, overall, but LtP was, in itself, pretty unsubtle, in a variety of ways. Save for what Joy did to people, and even that was brutally unsubtle, which I actually liked. It makes me wonder how much he's dealt with addiction in his immediate family.

On a complete different note: I keep hearing Hotline Miami pop up in this thread. I'm guessing I should play it?

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 26, 2015

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Old Boot posted:

* EDIT 2: On second thought, I really don't know that I would've liked seeing it as a full game. I've gotten a bit of an allergy to 'rape around every corner' movies/games/whatever over the years when it comes to female protags. This was just about enough for me, and I was glad to see Buddy's perspective. Again: opinions, farts, etc.

yeah i enjoyed the plot of Joyful overall but the enemies that only use the stroke and lick attacks were unpleasant in a way that is not beneficial to the game at all

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

DolphinCop posted:

yeah i enjoyed the plot of Joyful overall but the enemies that only use the stroke and lick attacks were unpleasant in a way that is not beneficial to the game at all

This, also.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Old Boot posted:

On a complete different note: I keep hearing Hotline Miami pop up in this thread. I'm guessing I should play it?

Hotline Miami owns, but it has nothing to do with Lisa beyond containing plenty of violence and having a decent-but-disappointing sequel. If you want a fast-paced arcadey run n' gun with a trippy story it's one of the best games ever, but if you're looking to meet weird people and see lots of goofy yet black as coal humor it's not going to deliver.

Also chiming in to agree with the idea that LtJ maybe shouldn't have been created, at least as is. There really isn't room for humor in the plot, and the absurd bleakness doesn't hold up as well without the moments of levity to even it out, particularly with the weirdass setting. The whole thing doesn't work unless it's balancing on the razor's edge of suicide-inducing and gut-busting.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Hotline Miami owns, but it has nothing to do with Lisa beyond containing plenty of violence and having a decent-but-disappointing sequel. If you want a fast-paced arcadey run n' gun with a trippy story it's one of the best games ever, but if you're looking to meet weird people and see lots of goofy yet black as coal humor it's not going to deliver.

Good to know. Considering I just finished LtP/J and OFF back to back, I could use to see trippy run'n'gun.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Old Boot posted:

My favourite part of LISA: The Joyful was the soundtrack. Also, Hotline Miami is, like Big Mad Drongo says, totally unlike LISA. The comparisons came from it being a highly acclaimed game with a sequel that many people felt just didn't measure up. That said, Hotline Miami 1 & 2 have some of the greatest soundtracks I've ever heard in a game. Not only do they absolutely suit the game and the tone its creating, but they're a blast to listen to regardless. I've discovered many new artists to listen to thanks to the Hotline Miami games.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FWIW the friend of mine I mentioned earlier who likes Buddy a lot as a character is also a woman. :shrug:

Also, to be completely fair, even as arguably the only human being as bad as Yado in the game I don't think Marty gave Buddy Joy.

Old Boot posted:

. It makes me wonder how much he's dealt with addiction in his immediate family

None, according to himself.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 27, 2015

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
well. i just picked up this game

gently caress you, guy who put a loving bucket of oil next to a bunch of kids playing with matches, leaving the bucket of water on a high cliff

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
That scene is when I truly began to love the game. "This is the second most tragic thing to ever happen in my life..."

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dunno quite where to go. I've Killed rando's guys near the third door ("HER" of "LETS GET HER"), burnt the orphans, encountered the weird guy that gave me joy which i'm selling because wow it gets me a good amount of mags, and jumped off a cliff repeatedly to get a scroll..But it seems I need a bike?

Whoops, screwed up the spoiler tag.

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 27, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I managed to wrestle a few more words on LtJ from Dingaling, and the most important/interesting bit I think was that while obviously LtP changed a lot in development, LtJ did too. To the degree he said it was 'completely different' then the original idea.

I think that's why it ended up being less of a meaningful addition and feels like (to me) a completely unrelated story that was given a relevant coat of paint.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BillmasterCozb posted:

I dunno quite where to go. I've [spoilers]Killed rando's guys near the third door ("HER" of "LETS GET HER"), burnt the orphans, encountered the weird guy that gave me joy which i'm selling because wow it gets me a good amount of mags, and jumped off a cliff repeatedly to get a scroll..But it seems I need a bike?[/spoilers]

There should be a hole in the wall of the hub area. Go through that and you'll get to the area where you can find a bike.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

I dunno quite where to go. I've [spoilers]Killed rando's guys near the third door ("HER" of "LETS GET HER"), burnt the orphans, encountered the weird guy that gave me joy which i'm selling because wow it gets me a good amount of mags, and jumped off a cliff repeatedly to get a scroll..But it seems I need a bike?[/spoilers]

You can go through small holes.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

There should be a hole in the wall of the hub area. Go through that and you'll get to the area where you can find a bike.

Just be sure to have at least four dudes, keep your firebombs, and do some leveling. You're in for a rough fight to get that stupid bike.

re: the bike, I was replaying LtP so I could see some of the contextual things I missed in my first playthrough like the guts/red rope?/probably guts in the background every time there's a joy-based impulse that Brad is acting on, and I have to say, I would've really preferred that thing to be available sooner. The walking speed in the beginning part of the game is aggravating as hell.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Internet Kraken posted:

Wow, I completely did not notice that!

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

quote:

Getting personal, I'm honestly wondering if being a woman might have something to do with my reaction to LtJ vs. the more vehement views of Buddy, here.

Absolutely no one wants to be an obligate brood mare. I'm having trouble figuring out why that's a sticking point for some people.

I think there's a lot of interpretation going around with Buddy, and a huge reason people jump to demonize her is, yes, absolutely because she's a woman. Another big issue, which I think is less subtle but no less insidious is that she's honest in her actions when Brad isn't. Brad can do some pretty horrid stuff, and if you recall you DO destroy three of the major leader gangs (Hawk's, the Bath house boys, Buffalo Van Dyke's gang) through the course of LtP with absolutely no fanfare or emotional weight. If Rando wasn't around to moralize with the first three warlords, you'd hardly know that killing them was supposed to be a bad thing because you were doing that all through LtP and no one seemed to care. When Buddy becomes morally accountable for her actions, the playerbase switches gear to demonize her for actions she's committing with foresight rather than Brad's committed out of hindsight or ignorance.

There's pretty clearly a double standard between Buddy and Brad. Part of it is gender stereotypes, but part of it is also how their actions are framed and understood in the story.

quote:

True, the dudes in the game don't really have a choice in the matter, either, since Buddy is literally their only option when it comes to girls, but that, too, is besides the point. Asking a teenager to take on the mantel of 'savior of the human race' is a shitshow, bottom line. Not telling her why she's in that role to begin with (and I understand Brad's aversion to it, don't get me wrong) is going to exacerbate her reaction. More to the point, who wouldn't cry their eyes out when they learn the truth about their existence? So, what, you either stay in a loving cave your entire life, or you have to pop out babies like crazy? Wouldn't you start crying? What other person aside from a literal messiah actually accepted that kind of burden outright? This is keeping in mind that she was groomed to be a post-apocalyptic spinster.

Interestingly she embraces the role of messiah (though she seems to gloss over the whole brood mare thing, making the ending seem a bit :gonk: . What's interesting is rather than frame Buddy's circumstances as one of victimhood, he focuses on the incredible toll that recognizing that burden would have on her mental state. Joy obvious plays a part in making her a whacked-out psycho killer, but as I said in a previous post: Joy magnifies the want to do something you already wanted to do. So while what you're describing is absolutely the case, also consider how Dingaling purposefully steered us away from the "Brood mare" angle to the "Messiah Complex", which I think says more about how LtJ tried to be more mature and forthright in its presentation over LtP - which had to take refuge in absurdity to avoid tackling the difficult issues.

quote:

Then, oh, then, her lovely "grandpa" gave her craploads of Joy, on top of that, practically ensuring that she's non-viable for anything but mutants (eventually) anyway.

Im not sure where you got that interpretation of the scene, to be honest. Marty explicitly asks what the pills are (implying he's never seen them before) and tells Buddy that she shouldn't take them. As perfectly terrible as Marty is through the whole series, he gets a pass on this one. Buddy got addicted on her own, and the big options for how is either by raiding Brad's stash before she fled or from Buzzo.

Not to dismiss your analysis at all. You've touched up nicely on the double standard revolving around Buddy, which I think a lot of posters in the thread have trouble getting past. Between being an altogether less naive character than Brad and being a woman, she's held to a standard that we don't afford even some of the shittier characters. No one would cry that the plot of LtP sucks because Brad is a jerk, even though him being a jerk is why everything ends up going to poo poo anyway. And if Buzzo was ninja-running around Olathe stabbing Gary the Hot Soup, people would be excited rather than complain he's had a character shift. Some people have trouble with dominant female protagonists, and some people just aren't used to them existing. Buddy is her own complexity, being a violent murderer is just part of it.

But if you let Buddy kill non-Joy Chester, you and Buddy are literally irredeemable monsters.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't think I want to take joy. I know Brad took some at the beginning of the game, but it's never good to accept drugs from a stranger..Wait a minute. This game is a 90s drug PSA!

edit: Just fought the second of those mutants. They both dropped joy. I'm not taking that poo poo.

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 27, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Amgard posted:

and if you recall you DO destroy three of the major leader gangs (Hawk's, the Bath house boys, Buffalo Van Dyke's gang) through the course of LtP with absolutely no fanfare or emotional weight.

I mean, Brad just beats up Hawke and you can even talk to him after. In fact his gang thanks you for taking him down a peg because he's kind of a jerk. Same with Buff Van Dyke's gang. The Devil's Bath House Boys you do kill, though.

I agree sexism is a part of it but there is absolutely a difference between Brad killing people for being in his way (which is awful and horrible) and Buddy's explicit goal being finding people to go and kill.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 27, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

All-American Badass, Homeland Tussle and 666 Kill Chop deluxe entirely justify LtJ's existence.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The Big Girl Has Cometh and Brokentooth March are the best songs in LtJ so I don't know why you'd say that.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Brad could use a hand right now. Well, more like an arm :3:

Sweet Tea wrecked my poo poo, but I barely survived, with Terry landing the final blow somehow. As in, he was the only one left standing after the mess. Why do I have to gamble my party's life away three times in a row without saving, this is hell! Even if I have like six people that I don't use, I don't like losing party members.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I liked LtJ.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Anatharon posted:

The Big Girl Has Cometh and Brokentooth March are the best songs in LtJ so I don't know why you'd say that.

Those are cool too.

pon alien posted:

I liked LtJ.

Yeah, it still has its share of fun moments.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
People complain about the combat but doing joy and then scoring a bunch of timed hits in a row feels satisfying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Eh, Buddy would of been a fine party member but as the only one other than Rando her mechanics get repetitive fast. I think if you're gonna do a single party member game you really have to do more to keep the player involved in the fight. Either by giving them a lot of options to think about and work with, or giving them something to do in the enemy phase. The only turn-based games I've played with one party member that actually worked are Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and Undertale. Both of those have very involved enemy phases where you have to dodge stuff rather than just get hit in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
http://i.imgur.com/5RtbpTF.jpg (Spoilers? Click if you want to see, it was too big to embed here) Why do I keep seeing this guy? I saw him on a cliff in the first area..

• Locked thread