Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think we had a couple sex ed classes at some point but I don't remember what the teacher said or when it even was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
bill maher thinks vaccines cause autism, is ugly af, and sucks

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vox has some good articles today

The brutal Spring Valley High School video shows what happens when you put cops in schools

quote:

Even after controlling for poverty, a report from the Justice Policy Institute found schools with school resource officers have nearly five times the rate of arrests for disorderly conduct as schools without school resource officers, even though the prevalence of school resource officers in schools has little relationship to reported crime rates.

A study published in Sociology of Education analyzed a data set of more than 60,000 schools in more than 6,000 districts. It found schools with relatively larger minority and poor populations are more likely to implement criminalized disciplinary policies — such as suspensions, expulsions, police referrals, and arrests — and less likely to medicalize students by, for instance, connecting them to psychological or behavioral care.

Obama and Boehner made one last budget deal. Here’s what we know.

quote:

1 The White House and Congress have reportedly struck a deal to raise the debt ceiling and fund the government through March 2017 — making it the last piece of budget policy in Barack Obama's presidency.

2 Spending will increase by $112 billion over two years. Next year, both defense and non-defense will get $25 billion more each, while the year after each will get $15 billion. Additionally, $32 billion will go to the "overseas contingency budget," a kind of war-related slush fund that the Pentagon gets to play with.

3 One of the main expenses: the deal would slow the rollout of scheduled hikes to Medicare premiums.

4 To pay for the additional spending, the deal would extend the sequester's cuts to Medicare, sell off some of the country's strategic petroleum reserve (even though oil prices are near rock bottom), do more telecommunications spectrum auctions, and change the crop insurance program which provides subsidies for farmers.

5 The deal will reportedly extend the solvency of the Social Security Disability Insurance program for six years by reallocating funds the Social Security old age trust fund and enacting several small disability reforms.

6 Conservatives in the House and Senate are already criticizing the deal.

The House science committee is worse than the Benghazi committee

quote:

In June, a scientist named Thomas Karl, along with colleagues, published a peer-reviewed paper in the journal Science called "Possible artifacts of data biases in the recent global surface warming hiatus." It cast doubt on the global warming "pause" that has become the latest cause cιlθbre for climate change, er, doubters.

That did not sit well with Smith, who is a doubter himself, like many of the Republicans on his committee and more than half of all House Republicans. And it was the subject of much heated attack in the denial-o-sphere.

So Smith has gone after the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, where Karl works as the director of the National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI). For a play-by-play, I recommend this scorching letter to Smith from committee ranking member Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX).

In it, she notes that Smith made three written requests for information about Karl's study, all of which NOAA responded to in writing and in personal briefings. "Moreover," she writes, "NOAA attempted to explain certain aspects of the methodology about which the Majority was apparently confused." (Imagine how that meeting went.)

Among Smith's repeated demands: access to the data and methods behind NOAA's work on climate. Except, as NOAA and Democratic members of the committee kept trying to explain, those data and methods are posted on the internet. Anyone can access them. Yet Republicans kept demanding them.

Unsatisfied with the total cooperation and untrammeled access his committee received, Smith issued a subpoena:

On October 13, the committee subpoenaed nearly seven years of internal deliberations and communications among scientists at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, including "all documents and communications" related to NOAA’s measurement of our climate.

"All documents and communications" would presumably include emails, preliminary drafts, peer review comments, notes, audio recordings, and a treasure trove of other material. This would mean thousands upon thousands of records for employees to identify and go through and analyze for no clearly stated purpose.

NOAA was given two weeks to comply.

quote:

Here's the most pointed part of Johnson's letter:

The baseless conflict you have created by issuing the October 13 subpoena is representative of a disturbing pattern in your use of Congressional power since your Chairmanship began. In the past two years and ten months that you have presided as Chairman of the Committee on Science, Space, and Technology you have issued more subpoenas (six) than were issued in the prior 54 year history of the Committee. That prior Committee history is filled with extensive legitimate oversight concerning consequential events — oftentimes quite literally matters of life and death. Yet none of the prior eleven Chairs of our Committee exercised their authority with the degree of partisan brashness as is now the case in our Committee.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Bob Ojeda posted:

Cruz cannot win a general election.

There are republicans who can?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
All the news outlets reporting on this mention that the discussion bill has been posted online, but none of them provide a link. I can't find it on house.gov, and the majority leader's site is obviously filled with nonsense. Does anyone have a link to the bill itself? I want to read it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

All the news outlets reporting on this mention that the discussion bill has been posted online, but none of them provide a link. I can't find it on house.gov, and the majority leader's site is obviously filled with nonsense. Does anyone have a link to the bill itself? I want to read it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So the plan is to save Medicare and Social Security by taking money out of them and cutting benefits?

Damnit Obama

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Thanks!

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Slaan posted:

So the plan is to save Medicare and Social Security by taking money out of them and cutting benefits?

Damnit Obama

I don't know, I think that's not a bad price to pay for taking the gun away during the election year. As people constantly brought up, one of the ways to disrupt what looks like a lock for Hillary is to have some kind of economic crisis. I'm quite content to know that such a crisis can't be instigated by the HFC in a fit of pique.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Slaan posted:

Damnit Obama

The Sequestration cuts are already in place, they're just keeping them; there's no cuts to Social Security.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Slaan posted:

Damnit Obama

This deal does not do that afaict and in fact helps ssdi.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

What is with the auctioning of airwave spectrums? Does that generate a lot of revenue or is it more of a "get rid of government control" thing?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not sure if it's realistic but the first thing Hillary needs to do if elected is work to put a stop to this nonsense. Letting maniacs play chicken with the world economy in exchange for chipping away at the US's meager safety net is not sustainable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is a lot of spin on the deal to make it politically palatable but the main takeaway afaict is we just are going back to a pre tea party insanity status quo.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

KiteAuraan posted:

What is with the auctioning of airwave spectrums? Does that generate a lot of revenue or is it more of a "get rid of government control" thing?

I think it's referring to the spectrum left open by broadcast tv going to digital. It's part of a move for more broadband access.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slaan posted:

Damnit Obama

Well, the problem is that the SSDI fund is nearly broke, so we get an additional six years of funding for it by transferring funds from the Social Security trust fund. It's not an ideal solution, but the underlying problems with SSDI can't really be addressed with the HFC holding the government hostage every few months, so this is a way of kicking the can down the road. Hopefully a more sane Congress will be able to make permanent fixes to the problem. In a nutshell, thanks to the recession, a lot more people are going on SSDI to hold them over until their Social Security kicks in, which caused the SSDI money to deplete a lot faster than anticipated. If this is a temporary issue (lack of work for older, less healthy adults due to a slack economy) or a permanent shift in employment patterns (nobody's going to hire 58 year old when they can hire a 22 year old anymore), this deal gives Congress six years to figure out what to do. Or, more likely, six years to kick the can further down the road.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

euphronius posted:

There is a lot of spin on the deal to make it politically palatable but the main takeaway afaict is we just are going back to a pre tea party insanity status quo.

I don't even think this positive a spin is accurate.. Some of the sequester cuts are going to stay in place.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The Sequestration cuts are already in place, they're just keeping them; there's no cuts to Social Security.

Ah, I read extend as more/extended cuts not length/extension of cuts, and the article was missing an important to/from. Given that Obama has made deals to cut benefits in the past, I read it that way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah it's a lot lot easier to get on ssdi when you are in your 50s so that may change

Or you know they could just expand the payroll tax beyond its low income cap.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

An open spectrum auction, properly designed, can be a great way efficiently and transparently allocate the spectrum to whoever values it the most. The revenue generation is nice, but it's secondary to the basic purpose of managing a limited but extremely important resource.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raerlynn posted:

I don't know, I think that's not a bad price to pay for taking the gun away during the election year. As people constantly brought up, one of the ways to disrupt what looks like a lock for Hillary is to have some kind of economic crisis. I'm quite content to know that such a crisis can't be instigated by the HFC in a fit of pique.

Agreed. March 2017 is a very cool date assuming the first phase of Hillary's Presidency is less like Obama's and more like her Benghazi hearing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Radish posted:

I'm not sure if it's realistic but the first thing Hillary needs to do if elected is work to put a stop to this nonsense. Letting maniacs play chicken with the world economy in exchange for chipping away at the US's meager safety net is not sustainable.

Without changing the constitution, there is isn't. Since budgeting is the realm of the House.

To be clear, this is how the budgeting and government funding mechanism is /supposed/ to work. This wasn't Obama "negotiating with a hostage taker." It was the WH, and Congressional leaders hammering out a deal.

Now, the debt ceiling is a dumb thing we should be rid of foreever.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Slaan posted:

Ah, I read extend as more/extended cuts not length/extension of cuts, and the article was missing an important to/from. Given that Obama has made deals to cut benefits in the past, I read it that way.

np, the NYT scared everyone yesterday with fearmongering

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I hope to see the HFC eating alive by their own base in the coming days

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

np, the NYT scared everyone yesterday with fearmongering

Between that and the Hillary Clinton op ed yesterday I think I'll go back to reading USA Today myself.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

Between that and the Hillary Clinton op ed yesterday I think I'll go back to reading USA Today myself.

Maureen Dowd is always salty about Hillary.

--

Anyway, from PlumLine, here's the break down on what bothsides are getting in the budget deal. Also, don't take Ryan seriously when he says he hates this deal. He's just doing the dance.

quote:

What Democrats got:

— $40 billion in additional non-defense spending, over and above the caps imposed by the sequester, over two years

— a debt limit hike through March of 2017, meaning no more conservative-manufactured debt limit extortion through that date

— an end to conservative-manufactured government shutdown drama through the election and beyond

— a solution to a glitch in cost-of-living calculations that threatened to hike premiums for millions on Medicare Part B

— a reallocation of Social Security funds that Dems had sought to keep disability insurance solvent

What Republicans got:

— $40 billion in additional defense spending, over and above the caps imposed by the sequester, over two years, plus an additional chunk of defense spending in a side contingency fund. That is to say, an increase in defense spending overall that is higher than the increase in non-defense spending

— Medicare cuts, but (according to reports and experts) only on the provider side

— A tightening of eligibility requirements to the Social Security Disability Insurance program that experts say does not equal a benefits cut

— a debt limit hike through March of 2017, meaning no more conservative-manufactured debt limit extortion through that date

— an end to conservative-manufactured government shutdown drama through the election and beyond

— a solution to a glitch in cost-of-living calculations that threatened to hike premiums for millions on Medicare Part B

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So a couple of years back, the Bush era tax cuts expired. I seem to recall there was a bit of consternation about this, but Republicans didn't really poo poo the bed as badly as they seem to be now.

Am I remembering that correctly, or was there a huge blow up about that too? I know I ended up paying a little more in taxes, so I'm sure that most people ended up having to kick a little bit more in too. That'd make a very easy attack ad.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

quote:

Hillary's first 100 days gonna be fun :munch:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

KiteAuraan posted:

No, I think it is more that the FCC has a mandate to make the spectrum available in a way that serves the public interest and doesn't allow the government or companies to hoard it just because.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Remember when CARLY was the new shiny object? http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/politics/carly-fiorina-republican-debate/index.html

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Massasoit posted:

My pediatrician on the other hand told me to be abstinent only. Or as he said it "penis in the pants" while wagging his finger.

I'm imagining him saying this in a Borat-esque voice: "Naughty, naughty! Never gonna get this!"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

Have we always denied felons from getting SS benefits? Or is that something new put in there to gently caress them over further?

I believe that it's been a thing stretching into the 90s at least I think. I remember some efforts to change the policy just recently.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

So a couple of years back, the Bush era tax cuts expired. I seem to recall there was a bit of consternation about this, but Republicans didn't really poo poo the bed as badly as they seem to be now.

Am I remembering that correctly, or was there a huge blow up about that too? I know I ended up paying a little more in taxes, so I'm sure that most people ended up having to kick a little bit more in too. That'd make a very easy attack ad.

Not most people. It affected households worth over $400,000, income over $250,000, and capital gains and dividends to an extent closer to, but not quite, levels seen in the Clinton administration. There wasn't a big blow up over this consequently.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SquadronROE posted:

There was a big blow up about it (of course there was, taxes were set to change), but you didn't end up paying more because of those cuts unless you make more than (I think) $400,000/yr.

If you noticed you were paying more in taxes, it was probably due to the fact that in 2011 and 2012 the amount you paid for Social Security was dropped from 6.2% to 4.2%, and that ended in 2013.

drat, slow.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The wage tax "increase" was huge especially for independent contractors.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

It's amazing how short political memory is, it wasn't that long ago that there was a HUGE push by the right to get Carly include in the debate as to not seem like they were marginalizing the one woman running. Then they gushed and gushed about her serviceable debate performance which got her a few point and that was all it was going to be because Carly just isn't a good candidate and has no natural constituency.

I mean their heart wasn't really in it this time like it was when they got burned by Palin but Carly is just the same dumb plan of trying to draw women in by running a woman that then doesn't speak to the issues that women tend to care about, especially not in a way they want to hear it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Joementum posted:

Fun bit of the deal: the Small House Rotunda will now be named the "Freedom Foyer".

It was apparently Boehner's idea to include that. :mmmsmug:

I hope everyone insists on pronouncing it in the french manor just to piss off the HFC.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
China upset that the US is moving warships near their artificial islands. News reports are reporting it as breathlessly as possible, but from listening to Wang Yi's statement, it sounds like their attitude is "Hey watch it" instead of "GOD drat AMERICA!"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/28/world/asia/south-china-sea-uss-lassen-spratly-islands.html

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
His GOP House colleagues gave John Boehner a golf cart with the license plate "MR SPKR" as a gift today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Massasoit posted:

I had very good sex ed in MA and they taught us how to use condoms.

My health class (not sex ed) experience in CT circa 2002-2003 (7th or 8th grade) was so comprehensive that we even learned the difference between butt-safe condoms and those that weren't (but still better in a pinch than no condom at all).

:smug:

• Locked thread