Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Also I've looked but is there any mod that takes the chore out of pipes maybe by making their coverage 50 bigger or something?

Pipes are such a busywork right now. I wish they had some real game mechanic behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Friction posted:

Pipes are such a busywork right now. I wish they had some real game mechanic behind them.

Yeah I think they really dropped the ball on it. I've also modded the sewage plant and a goon's large pump to give basically limitless capacity because a city of 100k having dozens of these massive weird structures along the coast looks ugly as hell.

Now if there was actually gameplay here I'd probably be all over it. I don't know what gameplay could be there without it becoming a confusing nightmare for most players who aren't intently interested in sewage management. It's weird that they didn't go the same route with water as they did with power. Just have pipes connecting far-flung areas and buildings them selves having an assumed pipe-network under them, not unlike sc2000.

I like the idea of worrying about water quality and disposal, I'd like to have more options. Around where I live we generally have huge semi-natural reservoirs which act as the city's water supply. They fill up during the cold rainy months and empty during the dry rainless summers. It's very important to keep the area around the entire watershed totally clean and natural to ensure world class water quality. The game actually has water mechanics, it seems like they missed the boat a little. Could have let us build big reservoirs and have the gameplay centre around making sure your reservoir was big enough and filled up enough each year to supply your city. For smaller cities just have water towers and wells, but have the ground water an actual limited resource that only refills X amount each year so it's something to watch.

Mostly it's just pointless busywork making the basic pipe network. If you're going to give me something to do let it be setting up cool treatment plants and pumping stations and using the terrain to set up huge reservoirs (maybe in tandem with a dam!) . But then just make water like electricity and have the distribution mostly take care of its self.

I'd really love the game to have more attention to environmental issues. Ground and air pollution are a joke, they have less impact and range than a noisy subway station. SimCity had at least the right idea with wind direction and air pollution actually blowing around. Industry and transport are huge pollution problems in cities and are not isolated to tiny areas, they generally effect the air quality of the entire region. poo poo blows around, lowers peoples health.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 24, 2015

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

I'd really love the game to have more attention to environmental issues. Ground and air pollution are a joke, they have less impact and range than a noisy subway station. SimCity had at least the right idea with wind direction and air pollution actually blowing around. Industry and transport are huge pollution problems in cities and are not isolated to tiny areas, they generally effect the air quality of the entire region. poo poo blows around, lowers peoples health.

You know, the game has wind kinda modeled in already, strength at least. You can see that when placing windmills. Maybe even the direction? Wind moving the pollution area sounds like something that could be modded in. You wouldn't need to refresh the pollution status that often, so it most likely would not murder performance either.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

They should just throw out the pipe laying stuff in a patch but keep the pumps/sewage buildings. Unless they add some sort of extra dynamic to the whole thing nothing would be lost game play wise. And I'm not sure what sort of dynamic could be added... Separate water and sewage lines, capacity considerations, pollution impacting supply? There's a point where it stops being casual and just becomes a sperg timesink and I'm not sure where to draw that line.

However just adding disasters would add some more dimension to water and power infrastructure right off the bat. Having played most of the Simcity games I still build redundancy into water and power lines as if an earthquake or other disaster could cut off utilities to entire chunks of the city.

Are there any mods that let you control the focus point when in camera mode?

Also I accidentally poo'ed my only tourist beach in the upper right but business is still booming. Must be a market for scat tourism in Skylines world?

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
remade this junction in cities to see if cims hated it as much as the real life residents:

Seems so, Had to make the necessary changes they really aught to do to the real life counterpart

And a screenshot of that downtown area:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fabulousity posted:

Also I accidentally poo'ed my only tourist beach in the upper right but business is still booming. Must be a market for scat tourism in Skylines world?
Well the game was made to sell to Germans.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Is there a mod that allows you to set the entrance lane to an intersection as right-turn only? JEEZ!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

My assets :swoon:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

zedprime posted:

Well the game was made to sell to Germans.
They like to look at it, not swim in it.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

The Deadly Hume posted:

They like to look at it, not swim in it.

If a Swimming Simulator 20xx hasn't been made that offers that scenario then one of ya'll should get on that and earn a little nice income on the side.

Koesj posted:

Well of course, that building is sexy as gently caress.

I just wish the AA in the game wasn't janky as hell.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

If your computer can handle it you should definitely use the Supersampling mod as opposed to the in-game AA, it's much better.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a mod that removes the awful green fog on boreal maps?

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Koesj posted:

Your assets :glomp:

Sylink posted:

Is there a mod that removes the awful green fog on boreal maps?

Of course. Clouds & Fog Toggler. It can also remove the pollution haze and clouds if you like.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Which rear end in a top hat motherfucker made it so that you can't build elevated roads over tunnel entrances and vice versa? Arghhhhh

Also I hate stupid cims who drive up the ldt lane of a highway and then wait until the last second before trying to cut across two lanes to exit. It's just absurd that the ldt lane comes to a standstill waiting to merge while there's traffic going straight ahead in the middle lane :psyduck:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

eXXon posted:

Also I hate stupid cims who drive up the ldt lane of a highway and then wait until the last second before trying to cut across two lanes to exit. It's just absurd that the ldt lane comes to a standstill waiting to merge while there's traffic going straight ahead in the middle lane :psyduck:

this is just an accurate simulation of real traffic

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

eXXon posted:

Which rear end in a top hat motherfucker made it so that you can't build elevated roads over tunnel entrances and vice versa? Arghhhhh

Can't help with the lanechanging, but give advanced road anarchy a shot. Tunnel entrances bloking things can (for the most part) be overridden with it. You an also use it to put stuff under elevated roads, such as parking lots, taxi depots and such.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I figure CO wouldn't be so stupid as to make all their new international style corner buildings they seem to have added with afterdark face the wrong way, but it's happening in my game. I'm guessing some mod or something that I'm using is screwing up the buildings? Euro corners still grow fine, but almost every "international" building that grows on a corner is rotated 90 degrees, so instead of the corner facing the corner, it faces away from the corner and looks really bad.

Is anyone else having this problem? The only mods I'm using that might influence how buildings grow is the building themes mod.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Haven't had that problem when using the building themes mod :shrug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A modder replied to me when I asked if his mod could have possibly screwed up building placement. He told me CO just really hosed up and made a bunch of their new corner buildings face the wrong way and it's like that on vanilla :(

Also everything was running super smoothly and I started a new game recently and now I'm having nothing but problems, probably mod related, even though it's the same set of mods I've been using.

I'm getting tons of "transport" related problems. Commercial saying not enough goods, industry saying not enough customers and not enough raw materials. I have a superb train system, I spend 2 hours before zoning anything to make a pretty/realistic looking but totally functional train system that tried to blend the best of min/maxing the transport system with also being pretty looking. Nice separated intra and inter city freight systems with 2 freight "airlocks" or "transfer stations". Works great, looks great, the railway is busy but not over loaded. Traffic around freight stations is busy but not over loaded. Yet still problems!

My game its self is acting strange too. Tools I'm using will randomly de-select as if I hit escape or clicked out of the tool. Often when I try to use the terraforming tools it instantly kicks me out and I have to select the tool quite a few times before it lets me use it. Even outside of a map just in the main menu I'll click on a save it and will suddenly select another save instead. In the Traffic ++ interface same problem, it will randomly kick me out of the interface and I'll have to start over, or I'll have to click on the lane tool a few times before it even lets me select lanes. And when I do finally change vehicle-type permissions it doesn't seem to be working right anymore. I'll set a road to no trucks but trucks still use it. I'll set a road to no cars but yes to everything else and suddenly it's abandoning due to crime, or burning down, or running out of goods to sell. Something has hosed up.

Everything WAS running smooth. I was even thinking to my self the last weeks "I'm glad since I started playing this game again modders seem to have their poo poo together for compatibility and nicely list each other's mods".

Oh Also if I open up the map editor on any theme other than european all my tool bars are empty. Yeah something's hosed.

Mods I'm running
Chirpy Exterminator
All Areas Purchasable
Infinite Oil and Ore
Control Building Level Up
Persistent Resource View
Enable Achievements
Configurable Citizen Aging
Traffic Manager and Traffic ++ and Elevated Train Station Track
Terraform Tool
Precision Engineering
No Pillars
European Building Unlocker and Building Themes
Fine Road Heights
Demand Master
WG Realistic Populations
Ambient Sound Tuner (gently caress you cows!!)
Unlock All + Wonders & Landmarks

In terms of assets I try to keep things simple and I'm really fussy about file size. I've got a bunch of cool european landmarks, some local hand crafted organic goon made skyscrapers because apparently only a few people know how to keep glass boxes under 10mb, a couple trains and some vans and trucks but that's it.

Mods seem really hard to trouble-shoot as I often don't notice problems until I'm hours into a game, or what was once a totally tested and stable selection of mods suddenly starts acting up and I'll have no clue which mod or combo of mods is causing it. I'd love any help or insight into how to get things running smoother.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 25, 2015

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
I've gotten my city up to 60,000 residents now. I'm starting to be very glad I put the dual carriageways in when I did, and with the number I did, as it is solving a lot of traffic problems. I've still got some though and I'm slowly fixing them

The entire city. I've had to make the interconnect between the new area and the old area a 6 lane monstrosity so that the traffic will flow properly.

A screenshot of the new currently expanding area of town. I'm hoping that this design will allow traffic to flow very well.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

So I found a mod that fulfills my wildest "relative realism" dreams.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

What this mod does is base building statistics not on the size of the lot and level, but the actual size of the building. The game has to calculate the size of the big scaffold that covers a building during construction, so this mod uses that information to generate the stats for all buildings. The default levels for the mod are quite reasonable and close to vanilla on average, but you'll see a lot more people in large buildings and fewer in small buildings. How it works is that each class of building/level in the game has its own line of stats that control the space per person/worker which is then divided into the square meters of a building. The square meters of a building is reached by taking the depth and width of a building (the building NOT the lot!!) and then counting how many floors it has based on the building's height divided by a typical floor height.

I tried this on an existing city of 100k pop and it nearly doubled my available jobs. I had to rezone a lot of commercial to residential. But even now that I've got my population up to 140k, I have a little over 70k jobs filled out of 90k available. I had to bump down dense residential taxes to 6% and hike commercial/office to 11% and even so, I still have commercial demand despite there not being enough workers or goods to sell in many buildings.

I would go with the mod author's advice of only using this on new cities... plus it doesn't seem to do a whole lot for residential towers. The number of households doesn't seem to scale quite linearly with building size, whereas you get office towers with 300+ jobs available.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Households does scale uniformly, it's a simple volume calculation. What's happening is the space per household goes up as buildings level up. So a level 1 building might have each person want 30 square meters, a level 6 building wants 48. You can edit all this. It never made sense in my mind that as buildings leveled up more people got packed in. Richer people want more space for them selves. So with this mod you can have a 15 story slum tower having the same number of households as a 30 story luxury tower because the luxury tower has a much lower density of people.

\/ Simcity 4's population numbers were all way too high, but at least they had each building having a unique set of stats based how big the building actually was. Always drove me nuts in skylines that building model was totally divorced from stats. Huge slum block? 10 households! Building a quarter the size but a higher wealth level? 20 households!!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 26, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Reminds me of the hell towers in SC4 having about 2000 occupants where similar sized high wealth towers had about a quarter that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

Reminds me of the hell towers in SC4 having about 2000 occupants where similar sized high wealth towers had about a quarter that.

At least that kinda made sense.

Skylines really needs a wealth model divorced from building scale.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Baronjutter posted:

A modder replied to me when I asked if his mod could have possibly screwed up building placement. He told me CO just really hosed up and made a bunch of their new corner buildings face the wrong way and it's like that on vanilla :(

Also everything was running super smoothly and I started a new game recently and now I'm having nothing but problems, probably mod related, even though it's the same set of mods I've been using.

I'm getting tons of "transport" related problems. Commercial saying not enough goods, industry saying not enough customers and not enough raw materials. I have a superb train system, I spend 2 hours before zoning anything to make a pretty/realistic looking but totally functional train system that tried to blend the best of min/maxing the transport system with also being pretty looking. Nice separated intra and inter city freight systems with 2 freight "airlocks" or "transfer stations". Works great, looks great, the railway is busy but not over loaded. Traffic around freight stations is busy but not over loaded. Yet still problems!

My game its self is acting strange too. Tools I'm using will randomly de-select as if I hit escape or clicked out of the tool. Often when I try to use the terraforming tools it instantly kicks me out and I have to select the tool quite a few times before it lets me use it. Even outside of a map just in the main menu I'll click on a save it and will suddenly select another save instead. In the Traffic ++ interface same problem, it will randomly kick me out of the interface and I'll have to start over, or I'll have to click on the lane tool a few times before it even lets me select lanes. And when I do finally change vehicle-type permissions it doesn't seem to be working right anymore. I'll set a road to no trucks but trucks still use it. I'll set a road to no cars but yes to everything else and suddenly it's abandoning due to crime, or burning down, or running out of goods to sell. Something has hosed up.

Everything WAS running smooth. I was even thinking to my self the last weeks "I'm glad since I started playing this game again modders seem to have their poo poo together for compatibility and nicely list each other's mods".

Oh Also if I open up the map editor on any theme other than european all my tool bars are empty. Yeah something's hosed.

Mods I'm running
Chirpy Exterminator
All Areas Purchasable
Infinite Oil and Ore
Control Building Level Up
Persistent Resource View
Enable Achievements
Configurable Citizen Aging
Traffic Manager and Traffic ++ and Elevated Train Station Track
Terraform Tool
Precision Engineering
No Pillars
European Building Unlocker and Building Themes
Fine Road Heights
Demand Master
WG Realistic Populations
Ambient Sound Tuner (gently caress you cows!!)
Unlock All + Wonders & Landmarks

In terms of assets I try to keep things simple and I'm really fussy about file size. I've got a bunch of cool european landmarks, some local hand crafted organic goon made skyscrapers because apparently only a few people know how to keep glass boxes under 10mb, a couple trains and some vans and trucks but that's it.

Mods seem really hard to trouble-shoot as I often don't notice problems until I'm hours into a game, or what was once a totally tested and stable selection of mods suddenly starts acting up and I'll have no clue which mod or combo of mods is causing it. I'd love any help or insight into how to get things running smoother.

Are you using any assets made by Shroomblaze? I noticed my game was running oddly when I was using some made by him, and when I removed them the game behaved normally again.

Oh yeah, I stopped using the forked Traffic Manager as well, as it was not working correctly since AD. Like, it's not remembering lane changes and half the interestions just flat out didn't work anymore. Which sucks, cause it was really simple to use compared to traffic++ and all of it's performance killing cruft :(

Mewnie fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 27, 2015

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

So I figure CO wouldn't be so stupid as to make all their new international style corner buildings they seem to have added with afterdark face the wrong way, but it's happening in my game. I'm guessing some mod or something that I'm using is screwing up the buildings? Euro corners still grow fine, but almost every "international" building that grows on a corner is rotated 90 degrees, so instead of the corner facing the corner, it faces away from the corner and looks really bad.

Is anyone else having this problem? The only mods I'm using that might influence how buildings grow is the building themes mod.

I've noticed this with the new corner office buildings, and I don't use any mods.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Mewnie posted:

Are you using any assets made by Shroomblaze? I noticed my game was running oddly when I was using some made by him, and when I removed them the game behaved normally again.

Oh yeah, I stopped using the forked Traffic Manager as well, as it was not working correctly since AD. Like, it's not remembering lane changes and half the interestions just flat out didn't work anymore. Which sucks, cause it was really simple to use compared to traffic++ and all of it's performance killing cruft :(

I use the standard traffic manager on the workshop and it works fine? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=427585724&searchtext=traffic

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Le0 posted:

I use the standard traffic manager on the workshop and it works fine? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=427585724&searchtext=traffic

As the page says, it's no longer being maintained and it has some fairly significant bugs when combined with After Dark (most notably related to bike lanes). Of the two replacements, TM+ is crash-prone as hell, and TM+AI is a resource hog, like most AI mods.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Which is a shame because OG Traffic Manager just did what I wanted without all the bloat.

OK, I'm finalising a map for the workshop, and I'm trying to get the river flow right so people can use dams, let their sewage flow out to sea, etc. There's one river, I've got about 6 sources outside the playable area (3 at the edge, 3 further down to keep things moving) so it does flow properly, but I'm probably going have to play test it first before I publish it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Two quick questions, as I would love to try my hand at making a Melbourne-like city.

1. Are there mods for in-road trams?

2. Would it be possible to mod hook turns?

i.e.:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Breetai posted:

Two quick questions, as I would love to try my hand at making a Melbourne-like city.

1. Are there mods for in-road trams?

2. Would it be possible to mod hook turns?

i.e.:

1. Not as far I know.

2. Pretty unlikely, actually. Like if Traffic Manager was kept up to date you could:
a - make the left lane a right turn lane
b - use custom traffic light scheduling to give them a phase to themselves.
However modding in the part where cars move into the "box" for that phase might be the hardest part.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why would you make an intersection like that? Isn't it much simpler to just have the right lane be the turn lane for a right turn? Or is it using left side traffic?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Poil posted:

Why would you make an intersection like that? Isn't it much simpler to just have the right lane be the turn lane for a right turn? Or is it using left side traffic?

Using left side traffic. It's done so cars turning across traffic don't encroach on the tram lines going down the middle of the road while waiting for a gap.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Poil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdoBNDYBl1A
Like Solemn Sloth said, it's done on roads where trams run up the middle, so cars turning right don't block the tramlines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VC110TeusA

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 27, 2015

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Koesj posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what assets are these? I'd like to download them!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

WMain00 posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what assets are these? I'd like to download them!

These two in the middle:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought I'd share my city in progress. Is there a way to turn off district names and the little warning zots when taking screen shots?

Here's an overview of the city. I tend to ignore highways when I play skylines as I'm never happy with how they look and I'm personally very biased against the very concept of urban freeways. Just for realism's sake though I added a sort of ring highway around the city. It doesn't get very high traffic, at least it doesn't yet, it's mostly to get people moved into their homes. Any time I'd zone a huge area I'd have a massive traffic jam from the flood of people immigrating. Although once moved in most everyone walks, bikes, or takes the metro.

Here's old town square, obviously based on old town square in Prague. Is there any way to actually turn off the night lighting during the day? I usually play with day/night turned off, but buildings still glow as if it was night time when they're in shadow.

One of the few avenues in the city. I've always found they become traffic magnets so I try to stick to 2-lane roads. This one is quite busy as it's the main bridge into the city and I actually found using traffic lights helped the flow (usually turn them all off) because there were so many pedestrians cars could never get through. Much like Wenceslas Square in Prague this long space terminates with a grand museum.

What city is complete without super-blocks of ugly suburban apartments? Building eye-dropper tool and control level up makes these districts possible.

Industry never looks great in this game and I'm still not sure what assets I need to make a nice looking port area, but I've got something at least.

The edge of the city is nicely framed by hills.

Influenced by the Vinohrady district of Prague 2, even have the correct church and a metro station to make a sort-of approximation of Namesti Miru station.

When making european cities I find it hard to balance making sure all intersections are 90 degrees so corner buildings correctly grow, but not having the city just a grid of 90 degree blocks. The trick I use is to make sure each intersection is 90 degree, but then have angles between.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Baronjutter posted:

I thought I'd share my city in progress. Is there a way to turn off district names and the little warning zots when taking screen shots?

The tiny camera icon in the lower right?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Whoever was asking for more W2W service buildings, Feindbild just posted an elementary school, a police department, and a subway station in his Brooklyn style.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197978975775/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Badger of Basra posted:

Whoever was asking for more W2W service buildings, Feindbild just posted an elementary school, a police department, and a subway station in his Brooklyn style.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197978975775/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

Great, we need more of this. Also doing a euro themed city there's just no room for mega towers. I think if I do another from scratch city it's going to some skyscraper futurism nightmare. Maybe I'll for the first time since I got the game press this mysterious "low density residential" button and see what it does???

Also i want to share my joy with everyone. There's a modder out there that makes tram stations. They are little tiny tram stops that work a regular train stations. Vanilla trains get stuck in them and look silly. So what are they for? Well you download the game guy's tram models. he's got everything you need for your LRT needs. Next you get this mod
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=424106600
This mod lets to individually set the number of vehicles on each transit line as well as unbunch them so they run evenly spaced. If you have multiple types of vehicles installed you can pick which vehicle you want on that line (all with their own stats of course). So I've got a tram running around my town and it looks fantastic and it fits the role perfectly for when you have the need beyond buses but not quite a metro, and it looks cool as gently caress.

Same thing for buses, trains, metro, the works. Pick the vehicle with the stats that fit your transit needs, set how many, and off they go to become perfectly spaced.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 28, 2015