Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Verge posted:

as a Harley rider,

Suddenly it all makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
As if anything below 1200ccs is a Real Harley.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well you see there are Harleys and Women's Harleys.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Verge posted:

What is this seeking approval accusation poo poo? I admitted it showed ignorance, though I didn't focus on it. Is that a crime? "Hey guys, I almost got hit because I was unprepared for douchebags," is hardly seeking approval. If this was about approval, I would've made sure to bring my leathers so that I could've just put the motorcycle into a controlled slide to avoid the confrontation altogether. /s

It IS about approval because you still seem to think the driver is the one at fault. Get it into your thick skull, this was entirely your fault

or hey don't, have fun getting run over because you pass like a downie

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

Insulting to downs people; I've seen them operate scooters, bicycles and horses just fine.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Razzled posted:

Oh man I'm going to use that term to irritate my wife.

What happens next will shock you!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

you pass like a downie

That's hilarious, and I normally hate that sort of insult. I am ashamed and bemused.

Verge, It was a scary and bad pass. It's ok (it's not ok), these things happen. I did a Pass Of Poor Decisions in a mountain curve the other week. Sure, I could see through the trees that there was no oncoming car, but it was still stupid and idiotic given my power to weight and the tight spaces. Admonishing yourself for lovely bike moves keeps the blood on the inside longer. You need blood on the inside to ride. Riding is the goal. All hail he ride.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Sub-250cc bikes may not be practical for 100% of commuters but there are still many millions that could get by just fine on one.

Yup. I think I hit 60+ mph once or twice a week on either bike or car. Between interstate traffic and city streets I'd really never need more than 250cc's. There are tons of people commuting on small scooters here - middle aged women, even! A small motorcycle here or scooter makes a shitload of sense, especially since you can split.

Even in the last place I lived, Madison WI, I would have been just fine on a scooter - and plenty of people commute on them there, too!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yup. I think I hit 60+ mph once or twice a week on either bike or car. Between interstate traffic and city streets I'd really never need more than 250cc's.

This is almost universally the case in not-America AFAIK.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

It's weird that the rest of the world's places are so close together. Our poo poo is all over the goddamn place.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

RadioPassive posted:

It's weird that the rest of the world's places are so close together. Our poo poo is all over the goddamn place.

Look at the border expansion between 1800 and 1900 and you'll have your answer as to why.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

Well, the argument was about commuting. It's relatively uncommon to be commuting thousands of kilometres, and sitting at 60mph on a 250 for an hour won't kill you. There's no actual reason to go above that speed unless, as mentioned, you live somewhere where it's common for people to drastically exceed the limit on the motorway on the way to work and this seems to be a mostly American phenomenon; most other countries are gridlocked during rush-hour anyway and in that situation 250's are ideal.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

RadioPassive posted:

Shove the population into a series of conurbations with European population density up and down the east coast, give the rest back to first nations. Two birds one stone :911:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yup. I think I hit 60+ mph once or twice a week on either bike or car. Between interstate traffic and city streets I'd really never need more than 250cc's. There are tons of people commuting on small scooters here - middle aged women, even! A small motorcycle here or scooter makes a shitload of sense, especially since you can split.

Sheeeit. I've done multiple-hour rides on a Ninjette many times. 250s are no problem on the highway, at least decent ones. I had no problems cruising at 70 or 75 for extended periods.

Now a Grom or a Metro is a whole other thing, but I wouldn't necessarily throw all the 250s into the surface-streets-only bucket.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
No, you're right, I've done it too and on the right bike with the right expectations it's fine.

My point, though, is that even if you take it as a fact that you need more than 250cc for extended highway commuting there are plenty of people who don't see those speeds on their commute either due to traffic or ability to use other streets to get to work.

edit: Although the benefit of having a motorcycle to cut through traffic is only really realized in The Glorious Motorcycle Republic of California.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 27, 2015

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I love owning a 16-year old used bike. Everytime I need to fix one thing, I get to fix two things! For example, this happened this morning:

Thankfully, in Taiwan you're never too far away from a scooter shop! (Which, collectively, are 3rd in ubiquity only to 7-Eleven and FamilyMart). Take to a Suzuki-branded shop, replaced the tube, but also had to fix one of the spokes, which had somehow lost it's anchoring stud.

Then, go to my normal shop for an oil change, brake adjustment, and also asked the mechanic to tighten the chain. Turns out one of the adjustment bolts had a section of thread stripped out. New bolt!

Regarding low displacement chat: if your daily commute involves the interstate, then yes, low displacement won't work. One time I lived in Fargo and commuted 60 miles one way - my SR150 would probably be horrible for that. I lived in OKC, and at the time was living in the South/Central area and commuting to the North side for work, which required using the interstates. Again, the SR150 would be bad, but I was looking at moving to the North end anyways, and a low displacement motorbike would work.

My hometown in Florida, a low displacement bike would be perfect for. I lived in the Canton, OH, area, and a low displacement bike would have suited all of my needs there, and even for the one job where I did use the Interstate, it was arguably just as fast to not use it depending on which direction I took.

I get that low displacement doesn't fit everyone's needs, but there are a lot of people who go big even though they don't need to, lacking any reason including the simplest of "I want a big bike for fun." I had a coworker buy a 1800cc cruiser as his first bike, despite my efforts to talk him out, because he didn't think the smaller 1200cc version would be suitable on the Interstate. A lot of riders buy a big bike because they're afraid of poo poo like:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Well you see there are Harleys and Women's Harleys.

High Protein posted:

As if anything below 1200ccs is a Real Harley.

captainOrbital posted:

Psht. Chiayi is for scrubs. Kaohsiung is where the party at.

How's the dengue fever thing going?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

How much slack is too much? I've seen this bike at work a few times now.

Was thinking it might be good to leave a friendly note to the owner about proper chain maintenance.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 27, 2015

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
How much table breakage is too much?

That chain looks rather slack, jesus.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Here4DaGangBang posted:

How much table breakage is too much?

That chain looks rather slack, jesus.

Sorry was posting from my phone and couldn't tell. Is it better now?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

No. 6 posted:

How much slack is too much? I've seen this bike at work a few times now.

Was thinking it might be good to leave a friendly note to the owner about proper chain maintenance.

If you can reach down and pull the chain off, it's a bit too slack.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Isn't the recommended chain flex on most bikes about an inch or so?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yup that's hilariously loose. Dangerously hilariously loose.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I found this online and will tape it to his bike. Unless someone tells me this is not an F4 Brutale 910s.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 27, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

No. 6 posted:

I found this online and will tape it to his bike. Unless someone tells me this is not an F4 Brutale 910s.

Wow, they just have it as a measurement of "Your chain should hang this low at this point"? I like that.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Collateral Damage posted:

Ask me about the time I thought this was the case for my TDM too.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Edit: poo poo, meant this for the picture thread.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 27, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

KARMA! posted:

Ask me about the time I thought this was the case for my TDM too.

What happened the time you thought that was the case for your TDM?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Collateral Damage posted:

My old DT is like a half inch. I don't go by that though. I compress the rear suspension so the axle is at its furthest position from the front sprocket and then make sure there's a little play there all the way through a chain revolution.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Marxalot posted:

Wow, they just have it as a measurement of "Your chain should hang this low at this point"? I like that.

My KTM has 'at this specific point on the swing arm, the distance to the chain should be 5mm if you push it up' which is great.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm 99% certain those SSAs don't have anything like enough adjustment range to take up that much slack, and if he's been running with it that slack for a while the chain is likely to be hosed anyway.

Printing out that manual page is passive-aggressive as gently caress though, just put a postit on his clocks or something.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm 99% certain those SSAs don't have anything like enough adjustment range to take up that much slack, and if he's been running with it that slack for a while the chain is likely to be hosed anyway.

Printing out that manual page is passive-aggressive as gently caress though, just put a postit on his clocks or something.

It's fine with something nice "hey man, I ride too and didn't want you wrecking because your chain comes off. Here's the adjustment guide I found. Shiny side up brah. #YOLO, #bieklyf"

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

builds character posted:

It's fine with something nice "hey man, I ride too and didn't want you wrecking because your chain comes off. Here's the adjustment guide I found. Shiny side up brah. #YOLO, #bieklyf"

That's pretty much what I did. I didn't want to be an rear end, just genuinely concerned about another rider's safety.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Razzled posted:

It IS about approval because you still seem to think the driver is the one at fault. Get it into your thick skull, this was entirely your fault

I never said that or tried to imply that. I said he was a dick, nothing more. You're just angry for the sake of being angry.

Coydog posted:

Verge, It was a scary and bad pass. It's ok (it's not ok), these things happen. I did a Pass Of Poor Decisions in a mountain curve the other week. Sure, I could see through the trees that there was no oncoming car, but it was still stupid and idiotic given my power to weight and the tight spaces. Admonishing yourself for lovely bike moves keeps the blood on the inside longer. You need blood on the inside to ride. Riding is the goal. All hail he ride.

A thousand times I can say that I did run over what just happened and corrected the error mentally. I appreciate your support but frankly, and this is not directly toward you, but I didn't post this for advice on how to ride. I knew what I did wrong before I uploaded it. I'm just sharing content here. A "Look at this rear end in a top hat being an rear end in a top hat," post.

I now pass at much faster speeds than before to prevent this from happening. It comes down to that I didn't expect him (I should've been ready for it) to speed up and then gun it when I got close. I should've. I know that. No one needed to tell me and I can't see the logic in the rudeness.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Suddenly it all makes sense.

I prefer the cruiser crowd because they don't get all elitist about gear and they don't brake mid-corner. Maybe it's just my area, though. I do enjoy mocking the stereotype, though. This is my third bike, the other 2 were a Ninja 250 and a CM400T. No, they weren't crashed.

Anyway, enough of this poo poo. I need some technical help, guys. I almost accidentally touched the front brake during a stop, causing a head-over-bars scenario. Can anyone tell me how to remove this death switch Harley attached to my bike?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Verge posted:

A "Look at this rear end in a top hat being an rear end in a top hat," post.

Look at this rear end in a top hat indeed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verge posted:

I never said that or tried to imply that. I said he was a dick, nothing more. You're just angry for the sake of being angry.

A thousand times I can say that I did run over what just happened and corrected the error mentally. I appreciate your support but frankly, and this is not directly toward you, but I didn't post this for advice on how to ride. I knew what I did wrong before I uploaded it. I'm just sharing content here. A "Look at this rear end in a top hat being an rear end in a top hat," post.

I now pass at much faster speeds than before to prevent this from happening. It comes down to that I didn't expect him (I should've been ready for it) to speed up and then gun it when I got close. I should've. I know that. No one needed to tell me and I can't see the logic in the rudeness.

I prefer the cruiser crowd because they don't get all elitist about gear and they don't brake mid-corner. Maybe it's just my area, though. I do enjoy mocking the stereotype, though. This is my third bike, the other 2 were a Ninja 250 and a CM400T. No, they weren't crashed.

Anyway, enough of this poo poo. I need some technical help, guys. I almost accidentally touched the front brake during a stop, causing a head-over-bars scenario. Can anyone tell me how to remove this death switch Harley attached to my bike?

Just stop and let it go. Pursuing this won't improve your situation.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Verge posted:

Your video shows no evidence of a "cager" doing anything wrong. It shows an "rear end in a top hat being an rear end in a top hat," but it's not the driver of the car. You made two oncoming drivers swerve on to the shoulder with your behavior.

Also, if you don't want advice on how to ride, don't post in this forum at all ever. Especially if you're posting videos of yourself riding. It's what happens here, and it's usually good advice.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 28, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Verge. Stop. We can all be friends

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Verge. Stop. We can all be friends

The hell we're all friends here.

Beve Stuscemi