Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

I just finished up Doom Coalition 1...and while I liked the premise, the actual execution left a bit to be desired. That and the Red Woman segment was very well written, it had fuckall to do with the rest of the plot.

The Red Lady felt like it could have been a Hinchcliffe-era Gothic horror piece…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Wheat Loaf posted:

Must be honest, rewatching it, I think the "next time" clip makes the next instalment look like a bad episode of Spooks.

I hope it's good - that was a *very* painful pair of episodes to make (for me, specifically, in terms of workload).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I forgot to give my appraisal of the episode!

It was a bit lifeless, the bad cat dude wasn't really necessary, Maisie Williams (who still looks about 12) talking about babies made me confused for a bit, didn't like the bad puns (the instant the Doctor went on a tirade against "banter" you knew he'd be joining in shortly).

The dialogue about the immortality chip in the previous episode didn't seem to fit at all with the way that things were described to work in this episode ("It won't stop repairing her" *actively brings her back from the dead having been a corpse for a few minutes* vs "poo poo we need an explanation why she didn't die of the plague or in battle") which really undermined what could have been the saving grace of the episode - the talk between the two story leads.

As it was, meh

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Also People is quite good fun for Ben Aaronovitch going "hey, I like the Culture. Let's do that in Doctor Who"

Wait, what?

God help me, I might have to read a Doctor Who novel

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

IceAgeComing posted:

no such thing :colbert:

i'd actually like that sort of thing, its good when traditional "villains" are shown to be not 100% evil 100% of the time but who sometimes can be victims of circumstance and have a strong good side - the Ice Warriors or the Silurians would probably be better than the Zygons for that sort of thing IMO although I haven't seen a great deal of stuff with the Zygons in it so I might be wrong

I'd say it's pretty likely given where we left the Zygons last time. You can't really go back to having them as unambiguous villains. It would be like turning the Ice Warriors into bad guys after the Curse of Peladon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

echoplex posted:

I hope it's good - that was a *very* painful pair of episodes to make (for me, specifically, in terms of workload).

Sure, I hope it'll be good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

THEY JUST ANNOUNCED A DOCTOR WHO* FILM!!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

*About K9 and made by the Australian company that owns the rights!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rochallor posted:

I'd say it's pretty likely given where we left the Zygons last time. You can't really go back to having them as unambiguous villains. It would be like turning the Ice Warriors into bad guys after the Curse of Peladon.

:laugh: Yeah

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Man, Donna was hands down the best companion. More of her is always welcome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kilo147 posted:

Man, Donna was hands down the best companion. More of her is always welcome.

Hey you can't just state opinion as fac-

Kilo147 posted:

Donna was hands down the best companion.

Kilo147 posted:

More of her is always welcome.

Wait, no nevermind, these both check out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

EDIT - Lest we forget:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Can we make this probatable or at least take it as read it applies to everything

I think between episodes of the show it's silly to say this, but I think between it and comics/books it isn't. I'll count audio drama's with the show episodes.

Amy is still my favorite Companion of the new series, and not just because i'm totally :swoon: over Karen Gillian, but I'd say Donna is certainly second best. I think Clara and Martha tie for 3rd and Rose is 4th.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I think between episodes of the show it's silly to say this, but I think between it and comics/books it isn't.

The strength of the story is the strength of the story, not how much it fits in with the set of things off the telly people have decided matter more than some other things off the telly

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

twistedmentat posted:

I think between episodes of the show it's silly to say this, but I think between it and comics/books it isn't. I'll count audio drama's with the show episodes.

Amy is still my favorite Companion of the new series, and not just because i'm totally :swoon: over Karen Gillian, but I'd say Donna is certainly second best. I think Clara and Martha tie for 3rd and Rose is 4th.

Anyone watch the interview with them? Tate looks like she's about to burst into tears when Tennant is praising her.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Anyone watch the interview with them? Tate looks like she's about to burst into tears when Tennant is praising her.

Link?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

EDIT - Lest we forget:

The ONE time I don't qualify that statement with "Of the revival." :argh:

Here you go - it was on the Big Finish announcement page :)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 27, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Can we make this probatable

this but lungbarrow

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The strength of the story is the strength of the story, not how much it fits in with the set of things off the telly people have decided matter more than some other things off the telly

I guess because of the serial nature of New Who I tend to see it as a serial show, but its more like TOS Star Trek, where each episode stands on its own and inconsistencies are going to crop up between episodes, but they don't really matter because in a episodic show its about each individual over an over arching story.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I guess because of the serial nature of New Who I tend to see it as a serial show

:raise: The original run was serialised (and includes at least one cliffhanger that only works if you assume they've already gone onto the next story), the revival is basically a sequence of stand-alone stories with occasional linking elements (more strongly in series 5, less so elsewhere).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Very excited about the 10/Donna audios!

I can't see how these won't sell like gangbusters, and I fully expect 10 to go into at least a T Bakes amount of output per year.

Also this means there's no real reason we can't have Matt Smith audios. I'd also be shocked if they didn't do a Jenny series at some point, when Moffat figures out if she will or won't be back on screen and what her journey would be to get there. I mean if her father and husband are doing audios...

The other great thing is that it's pretty much a lock that within a year or two of him leaving the screen, Capaldi will probably be doing audios so as the Ood say, the story never ends. :allears:

A few years ago I had a mental wishlist of stuff that I'd love to see from BF, and while the list is constantly updated, they've delivered on almost all of it--4th Doctor, a great Anniversary, bringing back The Valeyard, full cast adventures in the first 3 Doctors' eras, and now New Series Adventures with Captain Jack, River, and 10. Pretty much the only things I can think of would be getting David Bradley and Sean Pertwee to do 1 and 3. At this point, I'd literally say anything is possible for BF.

I haven't been able to listen lately because my fm transmitter in my car broke, but I have a new one on the way so I have a lot to buy! I've been able to do a rewatch of enough of Blake's 7 to feel comfortable diving into those audios. Also looking forward to The Prisoner.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
The Tennant Big Finish news was cool but when I went to the website to look at prices and saw that that John Hurt was doing a War Doctor series:stare:. Defiantly going to finally get into the audios now. Given the excellent reputation Big Finish has I really look forward to them doing something much more interesting with the Time War than what we got in the 50th anniversary special, I strongly disliked the Galifrey 40k vibe that special had.

Edit: I don't know where else to ask this but how is non Doctor Who stuff Big Finish does? I saw that Adrian Paul has done some Highlander audios are those any good?

side_burned fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 27, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just had this conversation with my wife.

"Honey, can I pre-order the Ten/Donna audios?"

"HELL YEAH YOU CAN PRE-ORDER THE TEN/DONNA AUDIOS!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Just had this conversation with my wife.

Marry her!

Again!

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Astroman posted:

A few years ago I had a mental wishlist of stuff that I'd love to see from BF, and while the list is constantly updated, they've delivered on almost all of it--4th Doctor, a great Anniversary, bringing back The Valeyard, full cast adventures in the first 3 Doctors' eras, and now New Series Adventures with Captain Jack, River, and 10. Pretty much the only things I can think of would be getting David Bradley and Sean Pertwee to do 1 and 3. At this point, I'd literally say anything is possible for BF.

More of Frazer Hines doing 2 also plz.

The 13 Doctors will be amazing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

side_burned posted:

I don't know where else to ask this but how is non Doctor Who stuff Big Finish does? I saw that Adrian Paul has done some Highlander audios are those any good?

The only other stuff I've listened to is Dark Shadows, but it's very good, and I can say that as a fan of the original series. The show runner is Joseph Lidster of all people, but somehow his style works well. The only issue I have with him is his strange reluctance (on a soap opera?!) to recast any of the old actors...though for some reason they put Barnabas in a "new" body so he was effectively recast. But pretty much anything with Quentin, Angelique, or Trask is liquid gold.

Briggs is redoing "The Prisoner" and it seems to be a recast retelling of the original set in the 60s. If he can nail the vibe of the era, the show, and McGoohan's iconoclast 6, it will be solid.

As I said above, I haven't heard the Blake's 7 stuff but I've heard it's good...and with people like Paul Darrow and Michael Keating, how can it not be? They got a lot of the old cast back so there's a lot of potential there.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

side_burned posted:

Edit: I don't know where else to ask this but how is non Doctor Who stuff Big Finish does? I saw that Adrian Paul has done some Highlander audios are those any good?

I'm enjoying their take on Survivors. Very mature without being "grimdark."

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

On the topic on random Big Finish chat this reminded me of how the best part of Dragonfire was when it was the Adventures of Mel and Ace, and the release schedule for the monthly series seems to suggest that there's a set of stories with the Seventh Doctor, Ace and Mel coming next summer - I'm still doubtful since they haven't said anything about them yet (because they're almost a year away from release) and so it might be a "we don't know who's going to be in this" filler text, I dunno. If it does happen it adds on to what's going to be a great year of Big Finish stuff; most of which I'm not going to be able to get

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

side_burned posted:

The only completely DW-related release of theirs I've listened to was "Treasure Island" and it was a hoot (with Tom Baker as Long John Silver, how could it be anything else?). That said, a lot of their Doctor Who spin-off series are excellent and are only barely related to DW. Jago & Litefoot in particular might just be my favorite thing BF puts out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

side_burned posted:

Highlander's good, but MGM revoked their license, so they're not allowed to press/sell them anymore, along with Stargate, so if you want them, you're going to have to look around for them.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

The only completely DW-related release of theirs I've listened to was "Treasure Island" and it was a hoot (with Tom Baker as Long John Silver AND HIS PARROT, how could it be anything else?). That said, a lot of their Doctor Who spin-off series are excellent and are only barely related to DW. Jago & Litefoot in particular might just be my favorite thing BF puts out.

Corrected that for you

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Astroman posted:

Very excited about the 10/Donna audios!

I can't see how these won't sell like gangbusters, and I fully expect 10 to go into at least a T Bakes amount of output per year.

Also this means there's no real reason we can't have Matt Smith audios. I'd also be shocked if they didn't do a Jenny series at some point, when Moffat figures out if she will or won't be back on screen and what her journey would be to get there. I mean if her father and husband are doing audios...

The other great thing is that it's pretty much a lock that within a year or two of him leaving the screen, Capaldi will probably be doing audios so as the Ood say, the story never ends. :allears:

I haven't been able to listen lately because my fm transmitter in my car broke, but I have a new one on the way so I have a lot to buy! I've been able to do a rewatch of enough of Blake's 7 to feel comfortable diving into those audios. Also looking forward to The Prisoner.

I think you are getting a bit carried away with future certainties based on just this announcement of 3 stories with Tennant.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

I'd also be shocked if they didn't do a Jenny series at some point, when Moffat figures out if she will or won't be back on screen and what her journey would be to get there.

Why would you want that? Why are people still assuming that Moffat wanted her to reappear when she didn't die at the end, rather than just saying it was hacky to have her die?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This season is very boring, the opposite of what doctor who should be!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why would you want that? Why are people still assuming that Moffat wanted her to reappear when she didn't die at the end, rather than just saying it was hacky to have her die?

I saw that in the Wikipedia entry, why was he even involved in this story? Was he just hanging around Cardiff, measuring the curtains?

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

I have never understand why she's so beloved by the fans. Don't get me wrong, I liked Sarah Jane but I don't get it. Why her? :confused:

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I like Sarah Jane, but I imagine that a large part of the love for her is because she was the companion during one of the most generally agreed upon high watermarks of the show.

Namtab posted:

I disagree that it's boring, but there's far far more boring Who than thrilling Who.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Picklepuss posted:

I have never understand why she's so beloved by the fans. Don't get me wrong, I liked Sarah Jane but I don't get it. Why her? :confused:

That was the first picture of a companion looking shocked that found. I personally prefer, in no particular order,

Liz Shaw
Leela
Jamie + Zoe/Victoria

just off the top of my head.

Namtab posted:

Doctor Who being boring is in the finest tradition of the programme

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'll take boring as I think I'm still recovering from the breakneck pacing of the Series 7 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That was the first picture of a companion looking shocked that found. I personally prefer, in no particular order,

Liz Shaw
Leela
Jamie + Zoe/Victoria

just off the top of my head.
I'd like to be the companion of Liz Shaw's alternate self in Inferno. ;-*

• Locked thread