Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Potential Patriot HoFers:

Brady - Automatic.
Gronk - Needs to stay healthy and productive for probably three more years.
Wilfork - Decent chance.
Mathew Slater - Decent chance.
McCourty - Outside shot, unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Kalli posted:

Possible, but the Ravens have been close in every game so you just have to presume they'll ruin that draft position with 4-5 wins somewhere.

The only silver lining to the Steelers blowing the Ravens game is that it may bump them down a few draft slots in the end.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Seymour would've been at least close but Belichick threw him away to take advantage of poor Al's senility.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

NC-17 posted:

Potential Patriot HoFers:

Brady - Automatic.
Gronk - Needs to stay healthy and productive for probably three more years.
Wilfork - Decent chance.
Mathew Slater - Decent chance.
McCourty - Outside shot, unlikely.

If Arod doesn't get into the hall of fame, neither should Brady.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

If Arod doesn't get into the hall of fame, neither should Brady.

Thankfully Brady won't be trying to get into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The thing is though nobody really says Belichick is the sort of draft genius that spots and grabs future HoFs. He's not good at it and knows it, and his strategy is to load up on mid-level draft picks and try to play the odds through getting a lot of potential players.

I mean, first round draft pick lawrence maroney, lawl.

Nov 6, 2002

Everyone thought Maroney was going to be great though. And he was. For exactly half a season.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
1. I did not say Ozzy is a bad drafter. I was merely questioning whether him drafting from a early spot is something other teams should "fear".
2. Please compare the spots from which Bill drafted and from where Ozzy was able to draft.
3. The draft is not about hitting on HoFers but about acquiring quality depth that allows you to win championships.
4. Additionally the difference between picking 1st and 32st can be reduced to the first overall pick, because if you that away, the 32st team will always pick on spot ahead. Based on that logic the question is how big the impact of such an pick would be, especially if you have filled the position with the by far highest impact (QB).

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

evilweasel posted:

The thing is though nobody really says Belichick is the sort of draft genius that spots and grabs future HoFs. He's not good at it and knows it, and his strategy is to load up on mid-level draft picks and try to play the odds through getting a lot of potential players.

Well we did get into this discussion bc one of the resident Pats homers said something suggesting otherwise

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

NC-17 posted:

There is so much bandwidth congestion and interference in a stadium full equipment and 80,000 people with cell phones you can't even imagine it.

Sounds like someone needs to be stuffed in a locker

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

Belichicks worth isn't in drafting hall of famers, but in cobbling together teams from cast-offs and what others perceive to be poo poo.

It's pretty baffling watching what mid-level free agents do in that organization.

Nov 6, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

4. Additionally the difference between picking 1st and 32st can be reduced to the first overall pick, because if you that away, the 32st team will always pick on spot ahead. Based on that logic the question is how big the impact of such an pick would be, especially if you have filled the position with the by far highest impact (QB).

I literally have no idea what you are saying here.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

NC-17 posted:

He means the 32nd pick in the first round will net a better player than the 1st pick in the 2nd round.

It's a very stupid point and he probably should have omitted it.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

NC-17 posted:

It's too stupid for me to parse, so I ignored it hth

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's too stupid for me to parse, so I ignored it hth

this helped thank you

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
You had me at 32st

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

NC-17 posted:

Team A is the first to draft, they get picks: 1,33,65,...
Team B is the last to draft, they get picks: 32, 64, ...

The big difference between A and B is that A get's the first draft pick, if you would remove that, they would be approximately have the same picks as Team B. Therefore the you can isolate the impact "Ozzy drafting from 1-5" has to the impact this one pick will have.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

You had me at 32st

Just saw that. :lol:

Nov 6, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

The big difference between A and B is that A get's the first draft pick, if you would remove that, they would be approximately have the same picks as Team B. Therefore the you can isolate the impact "Ozzy drafting from 1-5" has to the impact this one pick will have.

Guess what though. The value of having THE #1 PICK IN THE DRAFT is far greater than the difference between 32nd and 33rd, or 64th and 65, etc, etc.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I don't get why Patriots fans are talking about the 32nd pick like they're going to have it when it's really obvious that they won't.

That's right, the team that is the obvious front-runner for pick 32 is the Lions, because the Patriots were forced to forfeit their first round pick for cheating.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

NC-17 posted:

Guess what though. The value of having THE #1 PICK IN THE DRAFT is far greater than the difference between 32nd and 33rd, or 64th and 65, etc, etc.

Sure it is, I never said anything to the contrary (actually I valued 32nd and 33rd as approximately the same).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

GaussianCopula posted:

And what is his record for 1st round picks, I wonder?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baltimore_Ravens_first-round_draft_picks

*vomits a list of hall of fame candidates*

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I don't get why Patriots fans are talking about the 32nd pick like they're going to have it when it's really obvious that they won't.

That's right, the team that is the obvious front-runner for pick 32 is the Lions, because the Patriots were forced to forfeit their first round pick for cheating.

:lol:

:drat:

Nov 6, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

And what is his record for 1st round picks, I wonder?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baltimore_Ravens_first-round_draft_picks

*vomits a list of hall of fame candidates*

quote:

Kyle Boller

Some crimes can't be overlooked. Although I guess that's really Brian Billick's fault.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:thurman:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

Sure it is, I never said anything to the contrary (actually I valued 32nd and 33rd as approximately the same).

BUT #33 is actually Team A's 2nd pick you dolt

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

It's really not that much of a loss because Bill is not that great of a drafter.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GaussianCopula posted:

It's really not that much of a loss because Bill is not that great of a drafter.

And because the players don't really matter when you cheat as well as they do.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

Oh word?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

90% of his picks are trading for other picks

Nov 6, 2002

:lol: true enough.

But I think we also know the Bengals will be picking around #24 per usual.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GaussianCopula posted:

How is everything you say so wrong?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

You don't have to be a great drafter to hit in the first round.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

evilweasel posted:

You don't have to be a great drafter to hit in the first round.

Marty Hurney is a great example of this. Money in the first round: Julius Peppers, Chris Gamble, Jordan Gross, Thomas Davis, DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Jeff Otah, Cam Newton, Luke Kuechly. That is an amazing group of players. The rest of his picks though...

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

You could say the same of current Vikings GM "Slick" Rick Spielman (except notable future RoY Stefon Diggs)

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Rick Smith has one of the better first round pick records but sucks nuts

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Texans just released Ryan Mallet.

edit: carry that info into the new thread

PantsFreeZone fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 27, 2015

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
GC is the Pats homer that makes Pats homers go :wtf:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

GaussianCopula posted:

Sorry but that makes no sense. If he were this gifted drafter god the Ravens would have won more than 2 Super Bowls/Conference titles and 4 division titles and a .561 win rate in the regular season. Compared to drafting from 32 even being the first to draft "only" gets you one special player and if you already have a QB that only gets you so far.

goddamn that must suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Bill Belicheck drafted a guy from Ohio State that never saw the field on defense and only ever played special teams, hes a savant.

• Locked thread