Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
I just picked up my 6P. I'm surprised how well it actually fits into my admittedly small hands.
Any 5X owners bemoaning the lack of USB A to USB C cable aren't missing much, the one the 6P comes with is the shortest cable I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I think we may have found the reason Chase bank was suddenly removed from supported partners of Android Pay.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anyone know how to disable the notification sound that now comes with the Wifi portal login popup in Marshmallow?

Buses round here have free wifi, and I get the login pop up briefly whenever one goes by. It wasn't an issue in L as it was silent

I realise I could forget the network, but as I actually use it when I'm on a bus it'd be a bit of a pain

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Anyone know how to disable the notification sound that now comes with the Wifi portal login popup in Marshmallow?
There doesn't seem to be any way to do this, no. I have sound switched off most of the time and it vibrates instead. Bit annoying.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Notes on 5X battery:

My N5 was 2 years old and had a mediocre battery on day 1. Near the end, I would need to charge it 1-2 times with my high capacity car charger to make it from 6AM-10PM with moderate use.

The 5X is new of course, but yesterday it made it the whole day without being charged, with the same usage pattern. Then I accidentally didn't plug it in all the way (goddamn I want wireless charging). Woke up today, and it was still at 24%.

So, the Doze feature that didn't really do poo poo to my N5 battery seems to really work well on the 5X. Plus the battery is pretty decent anyway.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Really Fedex? My case and 6p both showed as in my city yesterday, but today they only delivered the case. :(

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

nocal posted:

The 5X is new of course, but yesterday it made it the whole day without being charged, with the same usage pattern.

I'm on a Nexus 5 now (switching to 6P if it'll ever SHIP). My dream is a whole day without being charged...

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Super Dude posted:

Really Fedex? My case and 6p both showed as in my city yesterday, but today they only delivered the case. :(

Was one shipped Express and the other Ground? FedEx is different from UPS and these are considered separate systems and will be delivered by different drivers.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I'm curious to know: am I in the minority, only having my location services on if I'm actively using GPS or something that needs it, or is it pretty normal for people to leave it on?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My m8 (at&t) has slowed to a barely usable turd over the past few weeks. I only have around 4gb of (non sd) storage left. Could this be the problem? Should I just take the thread's advice and do a developer reset?

I kind of suspect this might have something to do with an HTC "sns" update I installed about a month ago. I accidentally let it install itself and ever since my battery life and phone performance has been rear end.

I'm never buying a non-stock phone again. I thought we were past this but no. :argh:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FunOne posted:

Was one shipped Express and the other Ground? FedEx is different from UPS and these are considered separate systems and will be delivered by different drivers.

Both shipped Ground.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Daily Forecast posted:

So I'm curious to know: am I in the minority, only having my location services on if I'm actively using GPS or something that needs it, or is it pretty normal for people to leave it on?

I leave mine on all the time. What do you do, go through and flip the switch every time you want to use maps?

Super Dude posted:

Both shipped Ground.

Maybe there are two trucks? Just holding out hope for you. Mine should be here tomorrow.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

FunOne posted:

I leave mine on all the time. What do you do, go through and flip the switch every time you want to use maps?

Yes. :saddowns:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Leave it on.

Let the google overlords figure it out.

also,
:argh: Google, ship me my drat 6P that's not scheduled to ship until 11/2 but may have already been charged (I have a hole in my available credit exactly matching the phone, but doesn't show any pending transactions...)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I got that 4/$20 pack of USB-C charing cables. They seem kinda thin - the actual cable part is flat instead of round, but they work. In fact, when plugged into one of my chargers (this one) it said it was charging rapidly (though apparently it's only 2.5A not the full 3A). My other charger says it delivers 2.4A and that just says "Charging" when I used it, so maybe 2.5 is the cutoff for rapid charging voltage? I'll need to try it more because it switched around between "slowly charging" normal, and "rapid" on my first charger.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

64bit_Dophins posted:

My m8 has slowed to a barely usable turd over the past few weeks.

Find a new running buddy hahahahahahhaha

e: a factory reset might help. Maybe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Moto is doing some interesting things with the Turbo 2. No enough to get me to switch from my new X, but certainly different.

The screen substrate is PAMOLED, so it's flexible and won't crack. The glass is two layers, one for strength and one for scratch resistance. They also included a secondary touch layer in case the first craps out.

All of that is over a rigid aluminum core to keep the device from flexing.

I guess the demo in the keynote was dropping it on to cinder blocks and it came out unscathed.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I used to do this too until I realized that the GPS is only actually on when using an app that requires location. Every other time it's not really doing anything.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

bull3964 posted:

Moto is doing some interesting things with the Turbo 2.
Like releasing with Android 5.1?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

The Merkinman posted:

Like releasing with Android 5.1?

It's a verizon branded phone. It won't be getting a brand new android version until verizon deems it so. This is why I'm never buying a carrier locked device again.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My new 5X is at home waiting for me, of course I'm working late tonight. Any suggestions on cases that DO NOT cover the primary microphone port?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HolyDukeNukem posted:

It's a verizon branded phone. It won't be getting a brand new android version until verizon deems it so. This is why I'm never buying a carrier locked device again.

Yup. I would have been tempted by this device if it was sold like the Pure, but I'm not giving up fast updates. It's been nice having all my main devices on the same Android version.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mr Newsman posted:

Find a new running buddy hahahahahahhaha

e: a factory reset might help. Maybe.

Lol it took me a second to get that.

This is depressing :( - I'm considering just selling this and buying a moto g to ride out the rest of my contract with.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Merkinman posted:

I think we may have found the reason Chase bank was suddenly removed from supported partners of Android Pay.
I just fired Chase last month and closed my Amazon rewards card because they didn't let me use Android Pay (I thought they were in bed with Apple). I went over to Citi which has a double cash rewards card that's actually a bit better overall, and they support Android Pay. Glad to see I made the right decision; gently caress Chase.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

TraderStav posted:

My new 5X is at home waiting for me, of course I'm working late tonight. Any suggestions on cases that DO NOT cover the primary microphone port?

Diztronic have already shipped me a replacement case that should have the microphone hole, so they should be safe to order from now.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Yup. I would have been tempted by this device if it was sold like the Pure, but I'm not giving up fast updates. It's been nice having all my main devices on the same Android version.

I love my turbo, but that is one thing I know is going to drive me insane. I just know that updates are going to take forever because it's verizon's baby and they don't see the point in pushing updates out except when the moon aligns with their whims. I am probably going to get the next nexus or moto phone next year.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Can you guys with a Nexus 5X post comparison pictures with and without HDR+?

I kinda get the feeling from some reviews that it's kinda like the Nexus 5 where leaving HDR+ on all of the time produces the best results, especially exposure wise.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
http://www.geeksnack.com/2015/10/26/release-android-marshmallow-os-lg-g4-delayed/

:smith:

I guess nobody cares because everyone has a Nexus now.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bronin posted:

Can you guys with a Nexus 5X post comparison pictures with and without HDR+?

I kinda get the feeling from some reviews that it's kinda like the Nexus 5 where leaving HDR+ on all of the time produces the best results, especially exposure wise.

It's the default now so I guess google does too

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

The Merkinman posted:

I really like my Chase Freedom card but seriously gently caress ChasePay and MXC. All they're doing is holding us back with their stupid QR code scanning system and encouraging other OEMs to forego NFC (lol OnePlus Two). Get on board with ApplePay and AndroidPay or gently caress off.

Encourage everyone to tweet at them @Chase @Chasesupport.

In the meanwhile, I'll be looking for a new card to use in my AndroidPay enabled 6P

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Red Warrior posted:

Diztronic have already shipped me a replacement case that should have the microphone hole, so they should be safe to order from now.

Cool, I see the version 2 on Amazon. Any comments on the case? I like very thin and low profile ones that simple serve to prevent scratches from tossing it on my desk and such. No need for shock/drop protection.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

TraderStav posted:

Cool, I see the version 2 on Amazon. Any comments on the case? I like very thin and low profile ones that simple serve to prevent scratches from tossing it on my desk and such. No need for shock/drop protection.

It's not what I'd call super low profile, definitely has some thickness to it (1-2mm) for some drop protection, so might not be quite what you're looking for.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So as far as I can tell Google have released two phones for which it is impossible to buy a full-speed charger. The official one isn't for sale yet and there are no third-party ones on Amazon. This is a little annoying and Google don't exactly have a good track record on accessory release schedules.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I love my turbo, but that is one thing I know is going to drive me insane. I just know that updates are going to take forever because it's verizon's baby and they don't see the point in pushing updates out except when the moon aligns with their whims. I am probably going to get the next nexus or moto phone next year.

I'd honestly rather never have any updates since they appear to provide no useful features and can break stuff that worked at the time I bought the phone. Going from 4.4 on the turbo to 5.1 gave absolutely zero benefits other than a higher number and ending a grass is greener feeling

It's sad no one is competing on battery size which is the only useful metric left (other than screen size preferences). Hell, the turbo 2 has a smaller one than the turbo.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 27, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tunga posted:

So as far as I can tell Google have released two phones for which it is impossible to buy a full-speed charger. The official one isn't for sale yet and there are no third-party ones on Amazon. This is a little annoying and Google don't exactly have a good track record on accessory release schedules.

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't there a charger on the Google store?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

mastershakeman posted:

I'd honestly rather never have any updates since they appear to provide no useful features and can break stuff that worked at the time I bought the phone. Going from 4.4 on the turbo to 5.1 gave absolutely zero benefits other than a higher number and ending a grass is greener feeling

Just because you don't use the new features provided by lollipop doesn't mean they are useless. If nothing else, you gained security updates.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

First impressions of the 5x are very good. Feels great in the hand and the fingerprint is very nice even with Android wear. Nice to just set my finger naturally on it and have it wake.

Still working on one handed usage that doesn't involve a death grip. It was a stretch with my G but this is slightly bigger.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's that feature called that spoofs a set time and a full charge at the top of the screen so that your screenshots are "clean" for use as media on a website/etc...? I'm pretty sure it's a Marshmallow-exclusive feature but I have no idea what term to Google for that won't turn up thousands of forum posts on "how to take a screenshot".

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Karthe posted:

What's that feature called that spoofs a set time and a full charge at the top of the screen so that your screenshots are "clean" for use as media on a website/etc...? I'm pretty sure it's a Marshmallow-exclusive feature but I have no idea what term to Google for that won't turn up thousands of forum posts on "how to take a screenshot".

I believe it's called "demo mode."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't there a charger on the Google store?
Of course this comes into stock the moment I make a post bitching about it. It was showing "Coming soon" until now.