Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Fenrir posted:

Ok, so am I reading this right? (Dust of Dreams) Are the K'Chain Che'malle like, capable of genetic modification just by thinking about it? First it talks about that one who is old as gently caress but getting used to new wings and new eyes, then that drone starts mutating into something else.

Sort of but not quite, I guess? The Matron appears to have something that could be viewed as an enhanced version of a hive queen's ability to choose what type of offspring it needs to birth, and for the most part there appear to be standard archetypes for it to select: the Hunter, the Warrior, the Assassin, etc... But they seem to be capable of greater precision or selection when it comes to genetic manipulation, and can, apparently if insane enough to conceive of the notion, make more minute changes or even cause alterations in existing specimens. Nanomachines are very clearly involved in many aspects of KCC existence, so it makes sense that that would be the mechanism by which such things are achieved 'outside the womb,' so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
(more Dust of Dreams) I don't know about actual nanomachines, even though it makes a fun joke, but you see and/or hear about them actively changing their own bodies according to what the need, which is some crazy poo poo.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Fenrir posted:

(more Dust of Dreams) I don't know about actual nanomachines, even though it makes a fun joke, but you see and/or hear about them actively changing their own bodies according to what the need, which is some crazy poo poo.
Oh, IIRC the nanomachinery is pretty explicitly described at several points in the series.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Habibi posted:

Oh, IIRC the nanomachinery is pretty explicitly described at several points in the series.

Weird. I always thought it was more.. organic.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Fenrir posted:

Weird. I always thought it was more.. organic.

As one example off the top of my head, when haha holy poo poo how can I suddenly not remember her name, the witch who accompanies Karsa, what the gently caress, anyway when she [edit: SAMAR DEV] is dissecting the Nah'ruk Karsa killed with his bare hands, she discovers it filled with tiny machines. 'Nano' might be inaccurate in terms of scale, it might be more like 'micro' or 'mini' or whatever, but conceptually there's definitely some nanomachinery (nanomagiciary?) going on.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 20, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It specifically mentions the Shi'Gal opening some new eyes for the first time even though he's hundreds of years old iirc, but I don't remember him delving into how they got there. I thought the difference was that the che'malle did biotech/gene stuff and the nah'ruk did nanotechnology/hovercrafts and poo poo but it's time for a reread...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The K'chain civil war would make a rad as gently caress videogame.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone remember what became of the Errant by the end of TCG? I recall Draconus killing Sechul Lath and Kilmandaros, but not what happened to Errastas.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.

zeal posted:

Does anyone remember what became of the Errant by the end of TCG? I recall Draconus killing Sechul Lath and Kilmandaros, but not what happened to Errastas.

If I recall, Errasts was next on Draconus' hit list. Just a shame we'll either not see that occur or that it will take a long time to see.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
He ran for it. I think it's pretty safe to assume he'll show up in the Karsa books.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Does he even know who Karsa is? I wouldn't be opposed to him just getting nonchalantly creamed in an offhand scene.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WHO SHAVED ME

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

acumen posted:

Does he even know who Karsa is? I wouldn't be opposed to him just getting nonchalantly creamed in an offhand scene.

The Errant is ripe for one of those huge build ups where the reader expects this massive, dramatic battle, only to get swatted as an afterthought before getting to something even better. Make it happen Erikson.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

In TCG, Kilmandaros swats Errastas for poo poo talking Anomander. My reaction was pretty much, "God drat step on him already!" :argh:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ynglaur posted:

The Errant is ripe for one of those huge build ups where the reader expects this massive, dramatic battle, only to get swatted as an afterthought before getting to something even better. Make it happen Erikson.

I hope his death comes as suddenly and ignobly as Trulls. Karma is a bitch.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ynglaur posted:

I'm not touching those spoiler bars because I'm still on book 4 of Dust of Dreams, but yes, this is exactly what I hope happens. (DoD) Remember how Cafal is just loving speared out of nowhere by a patrol and that's that? That's the kind of death the Errant deserves.... And then Toc or Whiskeyjack show up and make sure he goes to a special hosed up hell instead of being granted oblivion.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fenrir posted:

I'm not touching those spoiler bars because I'm still on book 4 of Dust of Dreams, but yes, this is exactly what I hope happens. (DoD) Remember how Cafal is just loving speared out of nowhere by a patrol and that's that? That's the kind of death the Errant deserves.... And then Toc or Whiskeyjack show up and make sure he goes to a special hosed up hell instead of being granted oblivion.

No,

Hood needs to step in and bite his face off in the middle of some big speech about how clever he, the Errant, is or something, then send him to a special hell.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Captain Monkey posted:

No,

Hood needs to step in and bite his face off in the middle of some big speech about how clever he, the Errant, is or something, then send him to a special hell.

Nope,

Errastas is shiteing on about whatever he's shiteing on about and BOOM! Spear outta nowhere. Hello Babby Sengar :swoon:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

rejutka posted:

Nope,

Errastas is shiteing on about whatever he's shiteing on about and BOOM! Spear outta nowhere. Hello Babby Sengar :swoon:

Nope. Just as Errastas is about to blood sacrifice an orphanage to get himself a turkey sandwich, Udinaas appears out of the sky, turned into a soketaken dragon, and eats the bastard. "That's for Feather Witch," he whispers, before flying into the gate to Starvald Demelain, sealing it and finally ending the threat of Chaos.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Infinite Karma posted:

Nope. Just as Errastas is about to blood sacrifice an orphanage to get himself a turkey sandwich, Udinaas appears out of the sky, turned into a soketaken dragon, and eats the bastard. "That's for Feather Witch," he whispers, before flying into the gate to Starvald Demelain, sealing it and finally ending the threat of Chaos.

Nope,

Draconus forges Dragnipur 2.0 just for Errastas. Errastas gets to spend the rest of time dragging around a massive wagon.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i poop and pee on the Bad man - a fanfiction by Me

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

In Midnight Tides, I find it strange about the Errant how he doesn't come across as the crazy rear end psychopath he's later known for. His involvement in the events near the end don't really portray him in a hugely negative light. His one big dick move is 'pushing' Brys to drink the poisoned wine along with the rest of the Letherii nobles.

Does his interaction with Feather Witch in Reaper's Gale tip him over the edge or something?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
In a way, yeah. I think the big deal is that he was just surviving while keeping a low profile, because no one was worshipping him. Then Feather Witch starts to sacrifice in his name and he gets ambitious and thirsty for more blood again.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

anilEhilated posted:

In a way, yeah. I think the big deal is that he was just surviving while keeping a low profile, because no one was worshipping him. Then Feather Witch starts to sacrifice in his name and he gets ambitious and thirsty for more blood again.

This. He got ebullient and, then, proflig[a/e nt] which, I dunno, [like to think E]. Both go red, but, E.

Basically, he got drunk on new worship after tens of thousands of years and, well, you know yourself.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Concurred posted:

In Midnight Tides, I find it strange about the Errant how he doesn't come across as the crazy rear end psychopath he's later known for. His involvement in the events near the end don't really portray him in a hugely negative light. His one big dick move is 'pushing' Brys to drink the poisoned wine along with the rest of the Letherii nobles.

Does his interaction with Feather Witch in Reaper's Gale tip him over the edge or something?

Uhm I'm not sure exactly which book it happens in, but I'm pretty sure it's Reaper's Gale, the Errant goes batshit insane because of Warrens awakening in Letheras. He's the equivalent of the old master of the deck, and he's ready to go to war over being supplanted. That hasn't happened in Midnight Tides yet obviously.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Concurred posted:

For this, we go back to our old friendly storyline map from the OP:

There's a lot of time between those two books, and during that time the Master of the Holds(Errant) begins to feel that he's being replaced by the Master of the Deck(Ganoes Paran).

He does not take it well.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Forge of Darkness spoilers: Errastas was a murderous fucker three hundred thousand years before all of that, with no worshippers, and nothing but ambition to motivate him. It's almost a trope in this series for the perception of a character to change dramatically from book to book, as they are shown from a more (or less) sympathetic point of view, as their circumstances change, or as more of their history is revealed.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Khizan posted:

For this, we go back to our old friendly storyline map from the OP:

There's a lot of time between those two books, and during that time the Master of the Holds(Errant) begins to feel that he's being replaced by the Master of the Deck(Ganoes Paran).

He does not take it well.

And the best part is it's a completely one-sided rivalry, as I don't remember Paran ever knowing or caring about the Errant.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I haven't read Reaper's Gale in a few years and I forgot that entire schism happened :doh:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leospeare posted:

And the best part is it's a completely one-sided rivalry, as I don't remember Paran ever knowing or caring about the Errant.

Even when they were on the same continent in TCG it doesn't look like Errastas ever made his presence felt around the former Dujek's Host. But then he was never one for confronting his peers head-on.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Oh god reapers gale why beak? WHY?! :smithicide:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

uh zip zoom posted:

And that's not even the best worst part :getin:

Also oh god TCG Stormy and Gesler. Especially Gesler saving Bent :smithicide:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

uh zip zoom posted:

Just wait, it gets loving worse. (DO NOT touch this spoiler unless you've finished at least RG)TRULL :smith:

I literally loving cried.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 8, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fenrir posted:

Just wait, it gets loving worse. (DO NOT touch this spoiler unless you've finished at least RG)TRULL :smith:

I literally loving cried.

By the time I got to that part I had blown a sadness fuse in my brain and it was just kind of eh. Peak sadness is the death of Beak.

My peak sadness moment for the whole series, however, is still the Chain of Dogs.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
REAPER'S GALE SPOILERS, THOU HAST BEEN WARNED, ETC.

It's weird; I don't have the attachment to Beak like this thread (and I assume, most people) do, but Trull "Reluctant/Unaware Badass" Sengar actually choked me at the time. It's one of the few moments I sat with a book just saying 'No.... no no no!' to myself.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think they both hit in different ways.
Trull is harder on a personal basis, we knew him for longer and it comes out of the blue and shocks you with its pure pointlessness. Beak's story feels like inevitable closure; guy was made to be a martyr figure.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

TGC spoiler barely related at all but it was just :3:. If it's your first time reading the series DO NOT READ.

I liked Kalam poo poo-talking about he could probably take Icarium in a fight. Minala was all hell no. Kalam just kind of sighed and asked her to tell him about "that Tiste Edur" again.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

This is my first reread, so I'm not too worried about spoilers on my end.It's just that reading about Beak's past and how it influences the events is a lot more saddening to me than trull just because the latter is so out of nowhere

Edit: apparently I completely forgot the aftermath of the field battle. when captain sort finds the body

uh zip zoom fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 10, 2015

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Just got to the part in Dust of Dreams where Hetan dies. What the hell was the point of any of that poo poo if it just ends like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lpzie posted:

Just got to the part in Dust of Dreams where Hetan dies. What the hell was the point of any of that poo poo if it just ends like that.
Good question. Easily the most unnecessary and gross subplot in the series, I skipped it entirely on a re-read.