Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nerobro posted:

Happy Back to the Future Day. After today, all of BttF happens in the past.

If you'd like full size pictures: http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2015/10/building-150-class-quad-diatone-blade.html

Well, there goes another handfull of cash. In the mail today, I got a package from BangGood. In that package was the following:

1. 1 - Diatone Blade 150: http://www.diatone.hk/goods.php?id=80
2. 4 - EMAX BLHeli 6 amp ESCs
3. 4 - Eachine 1306 BG1306 3100KV motors.

*snipped mini stuff making me jealous*

First flights should be this weekend.

I was making a 3045 quad too, using the same motors but with12a opto ESC's. What did you think of the thrust? I found it incredibly weak compared to the same quad with 4045 props. My batteries are only 35c so maybe that contributed. I want to get a few Turnigy 45c.

New and improved 3" prop cutter:

The thing itself:

Cute, and fun for a day but I am putting the longer arms back on so I can use 4" props.

And another 180mm 5" prop monstrosity:

I really want this one cut in 3mm CF. It has so much power but the printed frame just can't handle high speed crashes in a parking lot. As far as I know all 180mm frames are made for 4" blades and wouldn't fit these props, though they could if the frame was an X shape and not the proportions of a ZMR type frame. The smallest X frame I could find is 230mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

helno posted:

Edit: Nerobro you can get same so much more space by hard wiring that receiver to the FC. This is a depinned D4r on a Naze32 on top of a small power distribution board.

I need to give that a swing. Sadly, I'm using Spektrum, so binding does need a plug.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I was making a 3045 quad too, using the same motors but with12a opto ESC's. What did you think of the thrust? I found it incredibly weak compared to the same quad with 4045 props. My batteries are only 35c so maybe that contributed. I want to get a few Turnigy 45c.

New and improved 3" prop cutter:

It hovered at a little less than half throttle, while carrying a 3s 1000mah battery. It seemed ok. My friend is ordering a thrust stand, and we're going to start doing science on this stuff. We're both a little annoyed at the lack of real data.

Happily "a test sample" of most motors is $20-40. And we've got something like ten models of miniquad motors between us. So it won't be ~that~ expensive to get a good database going.

Can you get a me a copy of that prop cutter STL? That's exactly what i'm looking for.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 26, 2015

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Going to order my FrSky Taranis, the price is similar from HobbyKing as it is from Banggood. Are there any advantages to ordering from one than the other? Hobbyking seems to have better customer service?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Slash posted:

Going to order my FrSky Taranis, the price is similar from HobbyKing as it is from Banggood. Are there any advantages to ordering from one than the other? Hobbyking seems to have better customer service?

Hobbyking ~has~ customer service. Banggood has the words on their website, but don't seem to understand what the meaning is. Hobbyking orders arrive at my house in about a week. Banggood can take a week to be fuffilled, and then another 2-3 days to ship, then 1-2 weeks in shipping.

If you want something, while it still matters to you, you buy hobbyking. Hobbyking also is good about telling you what's going on, and helping you if somethign is wrong with what you ordered.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Slash posted:

I bought mine from http://rclife.co.uk/Taranis-X9D-Plus-Transmitter as did another poster in this thread. Owner was very nice with an issue on my order and it came fast.

Even more so if you're in the UK (which I assume?)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I didn't include any in the video, but with the one I posted on the bottom of the last page I did actually have a few monster updrafts that the P3 very quickly corrected for, I was impressed. I was ready for that sort of thing, but if I wasn't aware I don't think it would have caused any issues.

Had to turn the lights off at night which made for fun landings though.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

refleks posted:

I bought mine from http://rclife.co.uk/Taranis-X9D-Plus-Transmitter as did another poster in this thread. Owner was very nice with an issue on my order and it came fast.

Even more so if you're in the UK (which I assume?)

Thanks for this, that's a good price. I'll get it from there instead, just need to be careful to get an EU firmware receiver as well from what I understand. Luckily they sell the receiver too(D4R-II).

Can you recommend me somewhere in the UK to buy some LiPo's and a charger? I would like some 1500mAH 35C 3S or similar 4S, but i can't find any on the HobbyKing UK site, and shipping from International warehouse is expensive due to restrictions on posting batteries.

Slash fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 26, 2015

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Slash posted:

Thanks for this, that's a good price. I'll get it from there instead, just need to be careful to get an EU firmware receiver as well from what I understand. Luckily they sell the receiver too(D4R-II).

Can you recommend me somewhere in the UK to buy some LiPo's and a charger? I would like some 1500mAH 35C 3S or similar 4S, but i can't find any on the HobbyKing UK site, and shipping from International warehouse is expensive due to restrictions on posting batteries.

Unfortunately not. I'm not in the UK, I bought my batteries through HobbyKing (EU).

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nerobro posted:

It hovered at a little less than half throttle, while carrying a 3s 1000mah battery. It seemed ok. My friend is ordering a thrust stand, and we're going to start doing science on this stuff. We're both a little annoyed at the lack of real data.

Can you get a me a copy of that prop cutter STL? That's exactly what i'm looking for.

Yeah mine just seemed ok too. I was at about 250g AUW with a 1300mah battery but no FPV gear. I'll post the prop cutters to Thingiverse when I get home. I also made a 4" version so I can cut down 5040 unbreakable DAL's into some 4040 unbreakable bullnose:getin:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://www.newson6.com/story/30354106/drone-attempts-to-smuggle-contraband-into-oklahoma-state-penitentiary

Police caught a drone being used to smuggle newports and weed into Oklahoma State Penitentiary

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Some video from the fall classic race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyrUEGRqrOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jbJVg9E__8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvToXv1_tBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARHjvSpKBDk

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What's the closest thing to an fpv camera that I can put on the front of my drone that feeds data into the flight controller instead into a screen that I look at?

edit: Holy poo poo that is some good footage. Also, how much is weed worth in Oklahoma that you'd be willing to risk what looks to be phantom on smuggling it?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

refleks posted:

Unfortunately not. I'm not in the UK, I bought my batteries through HobbyKing (EU).

HobbyKing EU warehouse as them, didn't think to look there. Still £9 shipping though, urgh.

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record
If any of you guys are using 4 inch bullnose props on 1306 motors: Stop. They are absolute junk and cause a ridiculously huge RPM bog on 1306 (it's overpropping) and will gently caress your motors up too. The standard 4045s do produce less thrust (until the top of the throttle range), but will give a vastly better flight performance.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Slash posted:

HobbyKing EU warehouse as them, didn't think to look there. Still £9 shipping though, urgh.

Which batteries are you looking at? I'm a bit hosed by being in Denmark, so everything I can get outside the country, but within EU is always cheaper (even with shipping).

Maybe http://www.radioc.co.uk/quadcopter-batteries-s/1835.htm ?

refleks fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 27, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
AaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA https://twitter.com/thedroneguy/status/658935104685805569

Perhaps with registration, the faa will give a slightly larger gently caress about covering this poo poo

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Arrest that rear end! posted:

If any of you guys are using 4 inch bullnose props on 1306 motors: Stop. They are absolute junk and cause a ridiculously huge RPM bog on 1306 (it's overpropping) and will gently caress your motors up too. The standard 4045s do produce less thrust (until the top of the throttle range), but will give a vastly better flight performance.

Yey data! how did you collect this?

Where's the watts graph? watts/g is probally the most interesting number for testing motor/prop combinations.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

refleks posted:

Which batteries are you looking at? I'm a bit hosed by being in Denmark, so everything I can get outside the country, but within EU is always cheaper (even with shipping).

Maybe http://www.radioc.co.uk/quadcopter-batteries-s/1835.htm ?
The ones i'd consider from there were out of stock.

Ordered these ones instead: http://hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__38362__Turnigy_nano_tech_1500mah_3S_35_70C_Lipo_Pack_EU_Warehouse_.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

AaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA https://twitter.com/thedroneguy/status/658935104685805569

Perhaps with registration, the faa will give a slightly larger gently caress about covering this poo poo

What a loving joke.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arrest that rear end! posted:

Do you have DAL 5040 props? I cut some down to 4040 and I was really happy with my results, but I only tried 2 batteries. Felt like I had a lot more power, it would be cool to see it on a chart.

I uploaded my prop cutter to Thingiverse but I need to wait 24 hours before I can post a file.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1094287

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 27, 2015

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I hope they appeal it because that's insane, do judges have to know the laws or is it just whatever they feel like.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Personally I think it should be perfectly legal to fly anywhere, but also 100% OK to shoot them down. It'll all balance out in the end, is win-win!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elendil004 posted:

I hope they appeal it because that's insane, do judges have to know the laws or is it just whatever they feel like.
Also, does this set a precedence? If one organization is trying to frame these things as dangerous aircraft and a judge says no, they're toys and there is no ramifications for shooting at them, well what is it? If the FAA wants these things tagged and licensed should the charge for shooting one down not be similar to shooting a piloted aircraft?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Mister Sinewave posted:

Personally I think it should be perfectly legal to fly anywhere, but also 100% OK to shoot them down. It'll all balance out in the end, is win-win!

I am 100% OK with this with the attached rider that doing immediately incurs a financial penalty equal to the cost of replacing the drone owed to the injured party payable by the shooter in the event that the drone was not over the drone shooter's property at the time it was shot.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 28, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

I am 100% OK with this with the attached rider that doing immediately incurs a financial penalty equal to the cost of replacing the drone owed to the injured party payable by the shooter in the event that the drone was not over the drone shooter's property at the time it was shot.

And at just what altitude should that be ok?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I do not know or care about suburbia.

Every day during the Summer, starting from June 30 onward, I must tolerate the potential presence of assholes in boats. They arrive at all hours of day and are often loud. They are there for "bass fishing," with their loud buzzing two stroke motors, stank-rear end fish guts, and as often as not, alcohol and stale urine.

If I can endure their presence, they can endure the presence of my flight drone. Public space is public.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 28, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Also, does this set a precedence? If one organization is trying to frame these things as dangerous aircraft and a judge says no, they're toys and there is no ramifications for shooting at them, well what is it? If the FAA wants these things tagged and licensed should the charge for shooting one down not be similar to shooting a piloted aircraft?

Gaw drat Air Canada pilots spying on mah sunbathing daughter :bahgawd:

*cocks railgun*

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Mister Sinewave posted:

This is the dumbest idea ever. Any bullet or shot going up must come down. Think the shooter's going to account for that when they take aim?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1094287. 3 and 4 inch available.

My prop cutter is good to go. Could use some feedback, it fits my thing but maybe not yours?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

CrazyLittle posted:

This is the dumbest idea ever. Any bullet or shot going up must come down. Think the shooter's going to account for that when they take aim?

Revised rule: all shots must be accurate or shooter must find/catch bullets

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1094287. 3 and 4 inch available.

My prop cutter is good to go. Could use some feedback, it fits my thing but maybe not yours?

I'll print those this weekend.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Wojcigitty posted:

Revised rule: all shots must be accurate or shooter must find/catch bullets

Amend it to only drones can shoot other drones and everyone can be happy.

Elmer Fudds with shotguns and sunbathing daughters don't have access to or knowledge of drones and feel unable to defend their daughters' honor? Well then maybe you should have been nicer to me in high school t:mad:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
B, b-but that would be like g-getting along!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Nerobro posted:

I need to give that a swing. Sadly, I'm using Spektrum, so binding does need a plug.

Happily "a test sample" of most motors is $20-40. And we've got something like ten models of miniquad motors between us. So it won't be ~that~ expensive to get a good database going.

Please share your data when you get it!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

i81icu812 posted:

Please share your data when you get it!

That's the plan. There will be a database :-)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm a moron and have puffed two separate LiFe battery by leaving my transmitter on. Is there a way I can add a circuit to keep me from over discharging again?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I dusted off my Nano QX since I really want to get into 250 racing quads next year, but I feel I need to get some solid hours in with this little guy before moving that direction.

I put it in agility mode so my practice is more useful toward how bigger quads fly, but it's so goddamn twitchy I can't keep it hovering. I move the stick as fine as I can and there's nothing, nothing, nothing, flipupsidedown.

I'm wondering how much is inexperience and how much is the lovely transmitter it comes with. I don't really get past 25 feet with it before it cuts out. Is this a case where getting a real transmitter where I can adjust expo and such be worth it? It'd undoubtedly increase the range also so I could actually take it to the local field and do more than hover within arms reach.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I'm a moron and have puffed two separate LiFe battery by leaving my transmitter on. Is there a way I can add a circuit to keep me from over discharging again?

Your radio may have an audible alarm for low voltage or sitting idle. Otherwise it's a really really bad idea to put a low-voltage cutoff on your transmitter because what will you do if it cuts off while you're flying?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Pretty sure my radio has an alarm if it's been idle for too long. Get a better radio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

A Yolo Wizard posted:

There is a battery technology designed just for you. They are called NIMH.