Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

raditts posted:

I could beat SML without dying when I was like 9, but then again I haven't played it in at least a couple decades either.

I beat Zelda 2 when I was like 6. Do not ask me how I accomplished this task.

Those games are loving hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Infinitum posted:

I beat Zelda 2 when I was like 6. Do not ask me how I accomplished this task.

Those games are loving hard.

Same but I was like 8. I couldn't beat Battletoads until I was like 10, and I think I only ever did it once without save states and while abusing the poo poo out of the warps.

Conversely, gently caress Ninja Gaiden. I couldn't beat that goddamn game until I was in high school.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fuzz posted:

Conversely, gently caress Ninja Gaiden. I couldn't beat that goddamn game until I was in high school.

This will make you feel good about yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F1We1WD9Nk

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
This probably isn't news but I'm embarrassed at how affecting I found the story and characters in Shovel Knight. Even the terrible blip music sticks in my head forever.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Evfedu posted:

terrible blip music

Please leave.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Aww yeah, another excellent game back when Nintendo didn't give a poo poo about maintaining brand identity and would do some weird poo poo.

Mario on the moon jumping on aliens? Why the gently caress not.

I mean, Mario Galaxy

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been slowly working my way through all the Marios. I'm about 1/2 through 64 right now. SML was far and away the easiest.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Jarogue posted:

I had put this in the wrong thread at first

Also here is your 3DS Christmas line up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otD80Sbe464

Pretty pathetic. Seems like the system is dead

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

African AIDS cum posted:

Pretty pathetic. Seems like the system is dead

I'm still going to play it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

codenameFANGIO posted:

I'm still going to play it.

I want more big 1st party games. Like Metroid Fusion 2.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure Super Mario Land is like 20 minutes long and I beat it without dying. Are you sure you're talking about the right game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SML is interesting in how weird it is but it is seriously not much of a game.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Super Mario Land has the best loving music.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I thought Super Mario Land was super hard as a kid. Then I played it a few years ago and beat it my very first try. Weird. :shrug:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I kind of wish that exploding Koopa shells would make a return.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm glad you all find it so easy. But yes I am thinking of the right game and, yes, I do think it's hard compared to the other Mario titles.

ffs, you don't even get to go from fire mario > super mario > small mario when you get hit. You just drop straight to small. So, objectively, it's easier to die to enemies in SML than any other Mario game.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I'm glad you all find it so easy. But yes I am thinking of the right game and, yes, I do think it's hard compared to the other Mario titles.

ffs, you don't even get to go from fire mario > super mario > small mario when you get hit. You just drop straight to small. So, objectively, it's easier to die to enemies in SML than any other Mario game.

That's exactly what happens in SMB, SMB3J, and SMW, though?

SMB3 US was edited to the easier current model, and SMW hid it by giving you a reserve item that dropped when you got hit. SML was doing things exactly like they were in the console games.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

PantsBandit posted:

Have you played the original Super Mario Bros. lately

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Mario only dropping one level is a later invention of the franchise IIRC. SML absolutely isn't the first game to do it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

That's exactly what happens in SMB, SMB3J, and SMW, though?

SMB3 US was edited to the easier current model, and SMW hid it by giving you a reserve item that dropped when you got hit. SML was doing things exactly like they were in the console games.

I'll admit that the original SMB is the one I have the least experience with so I can't really speak to the difficulty. I don't see how the Japanese version of SMB3 is relevant and considering the fact that you almost always have a reserve item in SMW anyways you more than likely have that reserve health to fall back on.

It doesn't help that the controls in SML are pretty rough too, so some jumps are more guesswork than anything.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I'll admit that the original SMB is the one I have the least experience with so I can't really speak to the difficulty. I don't see how the Japanese version of SMB3 is relevant and considering the fact that you almost always have a reserve item in SMW anyways you more than likely have that reserve health to fall back on.

It doesn't help that the controls in SML are pretty rough too, so some jumps are more guesswork than anything.

It's relevant because it represents the way the developers originally released it. Considering Land came out 1 year after SMB3's japanese release and a year before the US version (with its easier power-up mechanics) it's not shocking that they used the exact same powerup mechanics every single prior Mario game used.

They weren't actively trying to make the game harder, they were merely carrying over the mechanic everyone was familiar with.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Last time I played SMB was super luigi bros on wiiu. I best it with little to no problem after getting used to the feel again. I did remember all the warps and just go straight to the end though. Which takes like 10-15 minutes.

Was fun backwards though.

DasHangman
Feb 27, 2011

I'm the captain of the gravy train!
I need goons to play Triforce Heroes with! My FC is 1762 3627 4919.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jarogue posted:

I had put this in the wrong thread at first

Also here is your 3DS Christmas line up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otD80Sbe464

I do believe Wailord has just sold me on this game. I haven't played a Mystery Dungeon since the original Blue, so this should be pretty fun.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

DasHangman posted:

I need goons to play Triforce Heroes with! My FC is 1762 3627 4919.
I added you. My FC: 1091 9767 4978

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I do believe Wailord has just sold me on this game. I haven't played a Mystery Dungeon since the original Blue, so this should be pretty fun.

If you ever get the chance, play explorers of time/space/sky for the DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Super Mario Land is "hard" because it controls poorly and does weird things that Mario didn't usually do but it's a total cakewalk once you're used to it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Super Mario Land is "hard" because it controls poorly and does weird things that Mario didn't usually do but it's a total cakewalk once you're used to it.

Yeah, that's basically what I've been saying (or trying to say). A lot of the stuff in the game probably wouldn't kill someone who's been through it before. But there's a lot of times where poo poo will just come flying at you, or the controls will get you killed, or you'll try to make a jump only to have a boulder appear out of thin air and kill you.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a traiiler and a bunch of footage from New Style Boutique 2 (Style Savvy 3):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueXvHCc20OA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-Aofc-i9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxlynXaCvsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHFBwQQ_LVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oZ6tnpl2G4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYGIXbps0bo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The last level of SML2 is harder than all of SML, imo, but it's much more fun to play, yeah

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
SML2 should have stuck with SML-style small sprites, I think - not only does it feel cramped but I was surprised at how poorly it runs when I went back and played it recently.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I really loved SML2 at the time, but I don't think I'm gonna go back to it anytime soon. I want my good memories to remain intact.

I gotta admit I was a little disappointed in Mario Galaxy when I'd beaten it and the alien from SML2 hadn't shown up.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

PantsBandit posted:

Aww yeah, another excellent game back when Nintendo didn't give a poo poo about maintaining brand identity and would do some weird poo poo.

Mario on the moon jumping on aliens? Why the gently caress not.

The next Mario game needs to have Tatanga and Wart team up and overthrow Bowser. Make it the next Mario & Luigi game or something.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm kind of surprised Wart doesn't have a bunch of dumb people begging for him to be in Smash like with K Rool

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm kind of surprised Wart doesn't have a bunch of dumb people begging for him to be in Smash like with K Rool

Wart doesn't have anything going for him really. He has only appeared in one game, right? Also can't remember anything about him other than being violently allergic to turnips.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

He was also in Link's Awakening.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
So, I have a weird question: my girlfriend's mom loves Animal Crossing and takes a ton of screenshots, so when she said it started complaining that her sd card was full we got her a new one (she is on an old 3DS XL) bumping her up to 16gb. However, she called today and said that Happy Home Designer is still complaining that the memory is full. We bumped her up from I think 4gb to 16 so I'm not sure what gives?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RichterIX posted:

So, I have a weird question: my girlfriend's mom loves Animal Crossing and takes a ton of screenshots, so when she said it started complaining that her sd card was full we got her a new one (she is on an old 3DS XL) bumping her up to 16gb. However, she called today and said that Happy Home Designer is still complaining that the memory is full. We bumped her up from I think 4gb to 16 so I'm not sure what gives?

I remember hearing New Leaf has a limit on how many pictures it can save. Maybe Happy Home Designer has the same limitation? Have her try deleting photos she doesn't like or move them somewhere else like her computer.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Electric Phantasm posted:

I remember hearing New Leaf has a limit on how many pictures it can save. Maybe Happy Home Designer has the same limitation? Have her try deleting photos she doesn't like or move them somewhere else like her computer.

Do you think both games might use the same pool of space? I can't imagine she could have filled up Happy Home Designer already if it took her from New Leaf's release until now, and apparently both games give her the message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've heard about this happening before... I think you have to go into the 3DS camera app and it'll up upgrade your max photo cap or something? I don't remember the exact process.

EDIT: google says this

quote:

Access the Nintendo 3DS Camera app. It'll update the number of photos you can take after moving your old photos from SD Card to your computer (limit is 3000).

After opening the app, you should be able to take pictures in New Leaf again.

Happened to me once and I hope this helps.