Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

KomradeX posted:

So I backed the Delta Green Kickstarter but anyone else feel like it's kind of nickel and diming you, like hell I'm already 100 bucks over my pledge level just from the add-ons. I'd be angry, but they all sound really awesome.

Right now, it's $50 for the core book (or $70 for the expanded corebook), plus $50 for the Fall of Delta Green GUMSHOE book, and beyond that it's all PDFs. I don't think either of those prices are all that out of step with retail prices for full-color hardcovers, but I'm really hoping that now that the expanded core is covered, they think about binding together some of these PDFs for print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

InShaneee posted:

Right now, it's $50 for the core book (or $70 for the expanded corebook), plus $50 for the Fall of Delta Green GUMSHOE book, and beyond that it's all PDFs. I don't think either of those prices are all that out of step with retail prices for full-color hardcovers, but I'm really hoping that now that the expanded core is covered, they think about binding together some of these PDFs for print.

Print on Demand options for the PDF projects are being considered. Arc Dream wants to do it, but they have to look at the costs of creating it too. There are also a number of free to all backers rewards being offered. The first few rewards have already been posted.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

InShaneee posted:

Here's my thing with the Case Officers handbook why wasn't that the goal of the kickstarter? Cause reading about it and thinking in retrospect it makes the Agent's Casebook look like a core book with out a GM's section. And shouldn't one of the benefits of kickstarter be, hey thanks for believing in is abs or work here's a bit of the price of it retail for you guys like is the deal with so many other kickstarters? But 5 bucks for every interesting scenario is adding up. Like I really wish they would do a printed book level with all of the unlocked pdfs.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

KomradeX posted:

Here's my thing with the Case Officers handbook why wasn't that the goal of the kickstarter? Cause reading about it and thinking in retrospect it makes the Agent's Casebook look like a core book with out a GM's section. And shouldn't one of the benefits of kickstarter be, hey thanks for believing in is abs or work here's a bit of the price of it retail for you guys like is the deal with so many other kickstarters? But 5 bucks for every interesting scenario is adding up. Like I really wish they would do a printed book level with all of the unlocked pdfs.

The Agent's Handbook provides a way for gaming groups to all have the same rules without anyone being spoiled by them and allow GMs to create their own mythos. One key new aspect of the new Delta Green is that you are fully encouraged to create your mythos. If you don't like Cthulhu, mix it up. Get rid of the old threats and introduce your own. Maybe spirits from the astral plane possess people who use certain experimental drugs and are slowly building up a conspiracy to take over or end the human race. Maybe the only threats are human made, rogue transhuman or posthuman technologies created by anonymous contractors. Maybe you want to run a SCP Foundation game - Delta Green can just be a division of that organization.

In other news, a quickstart guide has been released with a demo adventure and pregenerated characters. Check it out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-role-playing-game/posts/1376137

I've also recorded an actual play podcast of the new Delta Green rules on RPPR Actual Play: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2015/10/genre/horror/delta-green-inheritance/

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Clockworkjoe, I admittedly haven't listened to the RPPR you guys did with the new rules, but I admit, after looking at the quick start, I'm skeptical of the whole idea of not rolling most of the time. It makes me feel like players get free information for no cost, which could quickly descend from role-playing game into point and click adventure game in my mind. Can you help me understand it a bit better?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Clockworkjoe, I admittedly haven't listened to the RPPR you guys did with the new rules, but I admit, after looking at the quick start, I'm skeptical of the whole idea of not rolling most of the time. It makes me feel like players get free information for no cost, which could quickly descend from role-playing game into point and click adventure game in my mind. Can you help me understand it a bit better?

I played 2 DG games using the new system at GenCon, and what the new system does is save you from getting into situations where players just flat-out miss clues because they didn't roll well enough (something that's always bugged me about CoC). It's a lot like GUMSHOE in that way. It's up to the Keeper to prevent the game from becoming an point-and-click adventure - but both games I played felt like solving a mystery and putting clues together.

You can always play the "if you have 40% in the skill, you get X for free, then roll for additional information" route. Or, you can roll and get info fast or take time and get it automatically. There are options to keep it from feeling like you're just being force-fed the clues. My $0.02 worth.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Hiro Protagonist posted:

You only roll when there is chaos or risk, i.e. when there's no reason they should fail. If you're a skilled researcher with plenty of time at a library, why should you not be able to find the information you're looking for? So, it helps PCs get all the background info and legwork, but scenarios usually have some element of chaos in them.

Search a crime scene? Why bother rolling?

Search a crime scene that's been cordoned off by the police and the PCs are trespassing? Definitely roll.

Translate a passage in a book? Fine.

Translate a passage during a gunfight? You better roll.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I guess the thing that set me off was the scenario they gave, where people could automatically detect aspects of Marlene using HUMINT. I don't know about you, but any time I'm confronted with something other worldly, I would describe that as chaotic.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I should say that I did this, am very happy with it, and am kicking myself for not snaking in for Fall at $100 when I had the chance.

You can get Fall as well for just another $25 so pretty much the same.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

The Agent's Handbook provides a way for gaming groups to all have the same rules without anyone being spoiled by them and allow GMs to create their own mythos. One key new aspect of the new Delta Green is that you are fully encouraged to create your mythos. If you don't like Cthulhu, mix it up. Get rid of the old threats and introduce your own. Maybe spirits from the astral plane possess people who use certain experimental drugs and are slowly building up a conspiracy to take over or end the human race. Maybe the only threats are human made, rogue transhuman or posthuman technologies created by anonymous contractors. Maybe you want to run a SCP Foundation game - Delta Green can just be a division of that organization.

In other news, a quickstart guide has been released with a demo adventure and pregenerated characters. Check it out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-role-playing-game/posts/1376137

I've also recorded an actual play podcast of the new Delta Green rules on RPPR Actual Play: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2015/10/genre/horror/delta-green-inheritance/

Okay that's a very interesting and free form take, I rather like that idea and I guess is a very convenient way to make it compatible with all old Delta Green stuff as well . I do regret that I can't get both books, but I will settle for just the Case Officers book.

I didn't realize you were with RPPR. I especially love listening to all the Delta Green/Cthulhu. I really enjoyed listening to Inheritance and really like the balance between Call and Trail of Cthulhu that Delta Green is striking. I also really liked listening to Iconoclasts and of all the stretch goal scenarios I'm looking forward to running that one the most.

So with Halloween coming up, what games is everyone planning on running for the holiday?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Thanks! We're doing a DG mini-campaign run by Caleb this month and I will try to run a SCP Foundation themed game on or near Halloween.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

KomradeX posted:

So with Halloween coming up, what games is everyone planning on running for the holiday?

Unrelated to Halloween, I'm running a campaign where everyone is, or is related to, the mafia. It gives the PCs a lot more flexibility and resources whilst still maintaining their individual weakness.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Thanks! We're doing a DG mini-campaign run by Caleb this month and I will try to run a SCP Foundation themed game on or near Halloween.

Hell yeah! Looking forwards to these!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

clockworkjoe posted:

I thought you were Caleb. Welp.

Whizbat!
Jan 22, 2004
Fun Shoe

clockworkjoe posted:

We're doing a DG mini-campaign run by Caleb this month

Sweet Georgia Brown, this is going to be great! Lover In the Ice was fantastic.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lover in Ice was a great and I'm really glad that they announced that it will eventually be one of the higher up stretch goals

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I backed DG at the basic Agent's Handbook PDF tier, but if I wanted to upgrade to also get Case Officer's PDF and Fall of Delta Green PDF, is that something I do through the KS, or does that/can that come later?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Those are both listed as add-ons ($30 and $25, respectively), so you should just be able to add that amount to your pledge, and you'll be able to specify what you want after the project ends.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

I backed DG at the basic Agent's Handbook PDF tier, but if I wanted to upgrade to also get Case Officer's PDF and Fall of Delta Green PDF, is that something I do through the KS, or does that/can that come later?

You can do it now. Just increase your pledge by the amount of add-on rewards you want and then at the end of the campaign, you will be given a survey to list how you want your extra money spent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you, I just upped the pledge now. The "Making Horror Scenarios" and the fiction vignettes in the demo rules were so good and the God's Teeth episode is a hell of a pitch.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
On the Delta Green RPG: the books unlocked in the kickstarter (Impossible Landscapes, Control Group, and so on) will be available for purchase afterwards, right? I'm definitely in for the Case Officer's Guide and probably one of the additional hardbacks, but pledging for all of them now would be a bit too much.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Sionak posted:

On the Delta Green RPG: the books unlocked in the kickstarter (Impossible Landscapes, Control Group, and so on) will be available for purchase afterwards, right? I'm definitely in for the Case Officer's Guide and probably one of the additional hardbacks, but pledging for all of them now would be a bit too much.

Yes, but keep in mind that the hardbacks will be limited print runs, not print on demand. When they're out, reprints may take a while. PDFs will be for sale forever of course.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Helpful to know. Thanks!

I really hope kicktraq is somewhere near accurate on this one. I played BlackSat at GenCon and it was a lot of fun. I would really love to see the rest of the Control Group Scenarios. Stolze described them as being a gradual way to introduce players to all the mechanics - so BlackSat is skills, a different one is combat, another scenario leans more heavily on bonds, and so on. And any characters that survive the early missions can be part of the "real" team afterwards for an ongoing campaign.

He also mentioned getting a 150% mortality rate on one of them during the playtest.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Control Group is unlocked.

They added a $300 "everything new in print (if available) and every new PDF" level, and a $350 level that also includes everything old in PDF as well. They should have had these pledge levels from the beginning and just kept everything uncomplicated: Bare bones core book + a few extras, all PDF, all physical + PDF, and the vanity/"play with the pros" levels.

I'm an old fashioned guy, so I will spring for physical books.

I'm betting $300 that these dudes can deliver, and that the concept of conspiracy mythos horror can jump the zeitgeist gap from the '90s to the present day when they pen that poo poo.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 23, 2015

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
Weird request, but unsure if PYF Request thread was best, is there a better place to ask in this subforum?

Im looking for a good quality copy of this image from 5th edition CoC book. I dont have mine anymore.

The larger and clearer quality the better.

Thanks

Verily I Shat fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 25, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Reverse google image search led me to this site which has a slightly better version here.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Just passed the $260k needed to unlock Deep States. If you were on the fence the $300 level now gets you well over $300 worth of hardbacks, plus all the PDFs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is a bit of a general question, but for games like CoC or DG that are BRP/RuneQuest-based, how do you go about statting up normal human enemies?

Obviously a Mythos monster could be lifted from the book, plus or minus whatever you feel like giving it, but if the players engage in a shoot-out with cultists that are otherwise still completely human, or maybe even beat cops, how would you go about giving them stats? Is there a book in the BRP/CoC/RuneQuest line that talks about such things?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
In the old Runequest days, there were books that were just 'randomly generated generic enemy statblocks' but the actual answer is mostly 'roll them up like you would a PC but dear god take shortcuts somehow'

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe

Splicer posted:

Reverse google image search led me to this site which has a slightly better version here.

You are a champion, that will do finely.

Thank you very much.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Verily I Shat posted:

You are a champion, that will do finely.

Thank you very much.
Forgot to come back and say I also found this.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

About to start up a play-by-post Delta Green game on rpg.net.

Since two players are vets I'm going to go off-book.

Idea kernal right now: anti-climate change activists as the ablative pawns/recruit farm for a cult of Ithaqua in small-town Alaska. Got to research a place in Alaska with a nearby native tribe I can use as a red herrirng.

Point of contact for the agents is when a National Weather Service researcher investigating anomalous "cold spots" falls out of the sky, nude and in late-stage frostbite; discovered by a local hunter.

If this triggers any cool setpiece/story/character ideas for anyone, lemmie know.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
That premise would be too obvious for mythos vets.

Have you read 30 days of night? Might be worth mining for ideas to change into cannibal Ithaqua cultists or some such.

There was an older Unpeakable Oath (print magazine) adventure that featured players being members of an Ithaqua cult. That had plenty of material that could be adapted.

Rag-NERD-rock podcast produced a good Ithaqua adventure let me see if I can find it. I think Drunk and Ugly podcast did one too.

Here we go. The Blackborne Expedition was an original adventure: http://ragnerdrok.com/2015/02/25/ap-call-of-cthulhu-the-blackbourne-expedition-1/

Set pieces: Stalking Wendigoes amidst a derelect oil field during a blizzard. An excuse for explosive barrels to abound and to climb an oil well and be attacked by flying creatures.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 27, 2015

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

If they don't listen to RPPR Actual Play, rip off Caleb's God's Teeth adventures.

Alternately, throw a DG operation with minimal, if any, actual mythos threats. I recently a session where the PCs didn't even get to the mythos part because they alerted the dirty cops in a small remote town, which eventually led to a Rambo style manhunt in the forest and a desperate search for the black site where the cops tortured people. The home office only promised to extract the PCs if they found the black site, so they had a valid justification for sending in federal SWAT teams.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
That might be a bit obvious for mythos vets (especially if they've read sections of the rulebooks on Ithaqua). The "frozen through, dropped from a great height" is a wonderful detail from the August Derleth stories, though.

Personally, I've always been a bit disappointed that the wendigo myth is rarely, if ever, identified with ghouls. Ghouls hit the cannibalism notes - and the idea of potentially becoming one - but may not be as immediate a connection to old hands at CoC. Alternatively, one of the cultists could be a ghoul, blessed by Ithaqua after spending enough time in the wilderness.

Why are the anti-climate change activists pawns of Ithaqua? What are they doing, how many of them are in on it, etc?

Kenneth Hite also did a write-up on Wendigo recently that has some very cool ideas and special effects. http://pelgranepress.com/index.php/tag/ken-writes-about-stuff/

clockworkjoe posted:

If they don't listen to RPPR Actual Play, rip off Caleb's God's Teeth adventures.

Alternately, throw a DG operation with minimal, if any, actual mythos threats. I recently a session where the PCs didn't even get to the mythos part because they alerted the dirty cops in a small remote town, which eventually led to a Rambo style manhunt in the forest and a desperate search for the black site where the cops tortured people. The home office only promised to extract the PCs if they found the black site, so they had a valid justification for sending in federal SWAT teams.

I think Dennis Detwiller did a game with a diseased, violent orangutan as another example of this.

God's Teeth is certainly creepy, oppressive fare - even from the first episode which is all I've finished so far.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Sionak posted:

I think Dennis Detwiller did a game with a diseased, violent orangutan as another example of this.

He wrote a Murders in the Rue Morgue adventure? That's awesome :neckbeard:! Happen to recall the name of it?

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Helical Nightmares posted:

He wrote a Murders in the Rue Morgue adventure? That's awesome :neckbeard:! Happen to recall the name of it?

Isn't that A Victim of the Art? You can get it: http://www.delta-green.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/A-Victim-of-the-Art.pdf

Also, I pledged for the Delta Green kickstarter because you have a special place in my heart, Ross. <3

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Commissar Kip posted:

Isn't that A Victim of the Art? You can get it: http://www.delta-green.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/A-Victim-of-the-Art.pdf

Also, I pledged for the Delta Green kickstarter because you have a special place in my heart, Ross. <3

Victim of the Art has a Bykahee although it would be easy to swap in a drat dirty ape.

Also, looks like the PISCES book will happen ~$5k is 42 hours is pretty easy to achieve.

BTW if you need scenario ideas, look at the shotgun scenario archive http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-scenarios

Let's Learn Aklo is a mindfuck for example.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So Delta Green just blew past the PISCES stretch goal, and there's a final final one at 340k for Falling Towers, where Delta Green takes on The Fate, a shadowy network at the heart of New York city that Delta Green has locked horns with before and have only ever been able to fight to a stalemate. But with the disappearance of their leadership, DG wants to take one more shot at them, with a campaign by Shane Ivey, Daniel Harms, and Dennis Detwiller.

And since I want to help get to that goal: Am I correct that if I wanted to get every new book funded through the Kickstarter as a PDF, plus Fall of Delta Green in PDF, that'd be $80 for Rising Threats then $25 for Fall of DG PDF as an add-on? What are my options if I wanted to go all new PDFs + all previously published PDFs + Fall of DG PDF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

So Delta Green just blew past the PISCES stretch goal, and there's a final final one at 340k for Falling Towers, where Delta Green takes on The Fate, a shadowy network at the heart of New York city that Delta Green has locked horns with before and have only ever been able to fight to a stalemate. But with the disappearance of their leadership, DG wants to take one more shot at them, with a campaign by Shane Ivey, Daniel Harms, and Dennis Detwiller.

The Fate were always my least favorite part of DG, but mostly because Alzis felt like kind of a Mary Sue. Hopefully now that he's out of the picture they can do something interesting with them.