Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

He's got good form at least :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

VitalSigns posted:

Just say the tapes can't be reviewed unless someone dies or to defend against/prove charges of police brutality, and only evidence relevant to the investigation can be released, just like all other everything ever.

How does this cover cases with a public outcry, but no charges or internal discipline? Can they only be released in a court of law/with a court order or publicly? Are they completely exempt from FOIA otherwise?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If there's a public outcry then I am sure the victim and/or his surviving family have lodged a complaint and would have the right to review the tapes.

I am okay with the weird corner case of a public outcry existing but the victim and his family are fine with everything and don't want to look at the tapes.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
So, let's talk about something that is criminal justice-y but not involving a police shooting.

I went to the mall today and somebody trying to get me to sign a petition about Marsy's Law in my state, and they basically described it as "victims get to get notified when somebody gets out of jail". I declined to sign it because I was tired and didn't know enough about what I was signing, and the more I look at it the more it seems to be sort of a "tough on crime" thing that... cares more about the victims' feelings than about justice or about rehabilitation.

What do y'all think about this, and the push for it to be put in states?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Isn't someone being released from jail publicly available knowledge anyways? I always kinda thought it was.

Seems like if the victim of a crime really cared that much about whether the person was in jail or not they could keep up on it themselves?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dum Cumpster posted:

He's got good form at least :shobon:

Um, you see, she was slumped over in the barbell position and his instincts kicked in and he had no other option than to deadlift her out of her desk (and throw her across the room).

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Phone posted:

Um, you see, she was slumped over in the barbell position and his instincts kicked in and he had no other option than to deadlift her out of her desk (and throw her across the room).

Classic case of muscle memory.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dum Cumpster posted:

Classic case of muscle memory.

That's what happens when you use your muscles for memory instead of your brain.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hooded Reptile posted:

Cops begin carrying nunchucks to subdue suspects — in California, where nunchucks are illegal

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/cops-begin-carrying-nunchucks-to-subdue-suspects-in-california-where-nunchucks-are-illegal/

Since when should cops follow the law anyways.

Actually, a great many police weapons are illegal for civilian ownership in California. This includes non-neutered AR-15s, magazines greater than a 10-round capacity (illegal for civilians in Los Angeles and legal for possession but illegal to sell in the rest of the state), side-handled batons, fully automatic weapons, short-barreled rifles, etc.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Mattybee posted:

So, let's talk about something that is criminal justice-y but not involving a police shooting.

I went to the mall today and somebody trying to get me to sign a petition about Marsy's Law in my state, and they basically described it as "victims get to get notified when somebody gets out of jail". I declined to sign it because I was tired and didn't know enough about what I was signing, and the more I look at it the more it seems to be sort of a "tough on crime" thing that... cares more about the victims' feelings than about justice or about rehabilitation.

What do y'all think about this, and the push for it to be put in states?

I don't have time atm to really get into the details, but it's bad. Legal regimes based on "victim's rights" frameworks are almost always a ticket to Unconstitutionalville, and this one was the product of a well-heeled voter initiative process. Heck, looking at the editorial and vote outcome sections of the wikipedia page make for an excellent nutshell of the problems of direct democratic voter initiatives.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DA admits to covering up police abuse, is actually going to get punished (with probation).

quote:

A former St. Louis prosecutor admitted in federal court Monday that she helped cover up a city police detective’s assault on a handcuffed suspect that included beating him and shoving a “pistol down the guy’s throat.”

In her guilty plea to a felony charge of misprision of a felony, Bliss Barber Worrell, 28, of Clayton, admitted failing to tell supervisors and a judge what she knew, and helping file a bogus charge against the man in custody. The term misprision relates to aiding someone in covering up a crime.

Although the charge carries a potential penalty of up to three years in prison, prosecutors and Worrell’s lawyer agreed to recommend 18 months on probation. U.S. District Judge Henry Autrey will have the final say.
The plea agreement says Worrell first heard about the incident the night it happened, when the veteran officer called her at a Cardinals game. That night, he said he had injured his foot; the next day she realized he had been hurt while assaulting Waller.

Worrell discussed the assault with colleagues that July 23. The group later texted about regret that they discussed it within earshot of another prosecutor who “would not cover for, joke about, or conceal information about a law enforcement officer unjustifiably beating up an individual in his custody,” the agreement says.

In a conference call, the officer told Worrell and colleagues that he threw Waller against a wall, beat him, threw a chair at him and shoved his “pistol down the guy’s throat,” the plea says.

It says Worrell did not intend to charge Waller, but after the arresting officer arrived at the warrant office, she helped a novice prosecutor file charges. That officer alleged that Waller had resisted arrest by “wriggling” his body and breaking free of the officer’s grip once in the station.

Worrell “hand-walked” the case to a judge, the plea agreement says, but she failed to tell what actually happened.

Her plea says the explanation of Waller’s injuries in the final police report differs from a draft as well as from both what the veteran officer told her and what the arresting officer said.

Later that evening, during a run in Forest Park, the veteran officer told Worrell that more people were involved in the assault, the plea says. He also said that the arresting officer was upset “because this was the first time he had to take one for the team,” meaning “lie and cover up for a fellow officer.”

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So, the officer that shot Zachary Hammond won't be charged. Big shocker.

*Steps in path of fleeing vehicle during apprehension of non-violent perp*
*Feels threatened*
*Kills Perp*

"Ah, man, I feared for my life. Nothing could be done."

US Justice, bitch.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Officer straight up executes the kid.

https://twitter.com/MikeEllis_AIM/status/659013047902711808/video/1

No charges.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Well hey now, think about how that cop must have FELT.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Oh jesus christ, the dude was never not at the side of the vehicle, bull loving poo poo the kid tried to hit him. More like he tried to flee from psycho pointing gun at him.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Mavric posted:

Oh jesus christ, the dude was never not at the side of the vehicle, bull loving poo poo the kid tried to hit him. More like he tried to flee from psycho pointing gun at him.

He was in the turning radius of the vehicle, and could've been bumped by the vehicle or hit by the rear tire, but he totally put himself there. And really, he had no reason to fear for his life.

Weird to execute a kid in a sting for a nonviolent offense just because the kid was fleeing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is the exact same thing that happened years ago where I live (kids MAYBE fleeing a non violent crime of dine and dash, cop gets in front and then unloads and kills one) and likewise the cop didn't get charged. The cop was also moonlighting as security so he wasn't even on the job.

But remember we have to be ultra careful when we try and figure out how to rewrite laws so that police can be held accountable for their violent actions since we CERTAINLY wouldn't want them treated differently by the justice system. :ohdear:

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 27, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This isn't going to change as long as America's gun culture fetishizes the idea of getting a chance to murder petty criminals with no consequences.

Intentionally putting yourself in harm's way is a clever and heroic way to give yourself an excuse to start shooting, and jumping in front of a car so you have a reason to execute the driver will be defended as always by "well if he hadn't run out on the check it wouldn't have happened"

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
On that topic do you remember a few years ago where gun nuts were advising each other to just call 911 and say you feared for your life and you'd be clear?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm glad that dude that tried to get off by saying he was scared of the teenagers listening to music in their car which is why he shot into them got nailed at least.

A Fancy Bloke posted:

On that topic do you remember a few years ago where gun nuts were advising each other to just call 911 and say you feared for your life and you'd be clear?

Yeah the "you get to legally kill someone once he steps onto your property, tee hee :wink:" poo poo has been around for a while. Lots of monsters that really want to kill someone and not get in trouble for it think that there is a magic phrase you can yell and suddenly your murder is totally ok and they are encouraged by these lovely "self defense" proponents. Look earlier in this thread for the guy that killed a squatter in the middle of the night when he and his girlfriend were sleeping and people saying "well it's legal so there's nothing here to discuss."

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 27, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Same with that guy who shot his neighbor while on hands-free with 911 while shouting "I fear for my life", at least sanity sometimes prevails when the shooter isn't a cop.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

This isn't going to change as long as America's gun culture fetishizes the idea of getting a chance to murder petty criminals with no consequences.

Yes, it has absolutely nothing to do with the culture within the police of continual escalation, us v. them, militarization and battlefield mentality, or the fact that they rarely suffer consequences for their actions.

No, the cops aren't to blame. Its those darn 'civilians' with their darn culture!

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
In regards to body cams.

How's this for a solution. Police are required to wear and ensure operation of body cameras during the course of their duties. Failure to do so would result in spoliation of evidence and a negative inference against the police during the suspect's criminal proceedings. This would allow them to use their discretion to turn the video off when they want to poop, but give a rather large incentive to ensure they are capturing video of shootings. It's also rather clear that the video evidence either exists or it doesn't.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LeJackal posted:

Yes, it has absolutely nothing to do with the culture within the police of continual escalation, us v. them, militarization and battlefield mentality, or the fact that they rarely suffer consequences for their actions.

No, the cops aren't to blame. Its those darn 'civilians' with their darn culture!

Well if you didn't have such a proliferation of guns in America, it'd be much harder to run the 'they could pull a gun and kill you any moment' training style. Such easy access to weapons in the US has a direct correlation to Police being trigger happy.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Well if you didn't have such a proliferation of guns in America, it'd be much harder to run the 'they could pull a gun and kill you any moment' training style. Such easy access to weapons in the US has a direct correlation to Police being trigger happy.

Not valid. They gun down people physically incapable of using weapons all the time. (Even if we did have gun control, they'd claim 'they're criminals and have access anyway', so its a moot point.)

Stop your victim blaming and address the root of the problem: police culture.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I enjoyed the part where he didn't identify verbally as a police officer to an indivdual he had approached from behind. I know when someone points a gun at me the first thing I'm gonna look for is that cheeky ensemble they wore to the party and not that giant drain-pipe staring me in the face.

Weapons out for a couple of young offenders on a misdemeanor possession charge.

"A good kill".

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LeJackal posted:

I think I just agreed with you for the very first time. :3:

The gun problem is a separate (and very valid) issue independent of the increasing culture of police aggression and militarization.

Police officers just need to accept that they chose a difficult and dangerous job and stop meeting resistance with overwhelming force in the name of :qq: I Just Want To Make It Home.

Your job is about peace preservation and deescalation--but that's gone completely out the window.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

Police officers just need to accept that they chose a difficult and dangerous job and stop meeting resistance with overwhelming force in the name of :qq: I Just Want To Make It Home.

Your job is about peace preservation and deescalation--but that's gone completely out the window.

Was it ever in the window to begin with considering how hosed up the police are they were much more corrupt not that long ago

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KomradeX posted:

Was it ever in the window to begin with considering how hosed up the police are they were much more corrupt not that long ago

The emphasis on military-style policing is very evident--even over my lifetime.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, they've gone from being the Mafia to basically being MS13 over the past couple decades.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

LeJackal posted:

Not valid. They gun down people physically incapable of using weapons all the time. (Even if we did have gun control, they'd claim 'they're criminals and have access anyway', so its a moot point.)

I don't really think it's irrelevant to look at our warlike, gun-worshiping, authority-fellating culture and say that maybe it has a lot to do with why police abuse exists.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LeeMajors posted:

Militarization is different, but violence is the same as far as anyone can tell. They may be wearing tactical gear, but they're probably not exactly shooting unarmed people in the face any less than it happened in the 1970s. The difference is that we now have ubiquitous HD cameras on both sides of the confrontation and the Internet allowing instantaneous communication of news and anecdotes across the world, which means that all of the endemic corruption and brutality that goes back decades (or longer) is now publicly visible. You can't exactly shoot a guy at a traffic stop on a lonely highway and just bullshit about him trying to run you over when your dash cam and his cell phone are recording it from the beginning.

Of course, nowadays the police look at the footage of the officer leaning in through the window and shooting the driver in the head and say "Yep, good shoot." So we're not quite there yet.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

From the politics thread.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/sc-student-arrested-for-recording-school-cops-violent-assault-on-classmate-sitting-in-her-desk/

Girl who recorded dead-lift cop throwing that student was arrested for "disturbing school" which is an offense apparently. Like I said earlier we must be careful in how we want to fix the system otherwise cops might be treated unfairly in contrast than non-Leos. This is very important in the face of these sorts of punitive arrests and officers being allowed to repeatably rough up kids. :ohdear:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

pigz posted:

In regards to body cams.

How's this for a solution. Police are required to wear and ensure operation of body cameras during the course of their duties. Failure to do so would result in spoliation of evidence and a negative inference against the police during the suspect's criminal proceedings. This would allow them to use their discretion to turn the video off when they want to poop, but give a rather large incentive to ensure they are capturing video of shootings. It's also rather clear that the video evidence either exists or it doesn't.

I think that's a more reasonable approach than most I've seen articulated, though a lot would depend on what "spoilation of evidence" meant. Given that this would have to occur jurisdiction by jurisdiction, it will be interesting to see what works and doesn't. Access to recordings during proceedings (and generally) will remain a concern, but I think it can partly separated.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

pigz posted:

In regards to body cams.

I recommended that a page or two ago and it seemed like a good idea to almost everyone.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, they've gone from being the Mafia to basically being MS13 over the past couple decades.

They might have pushed you down the stairs on the way to the cells, but by golly those stairs were clean.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

chitoryu12 posted:

Militarization is different, but violence is the same as far as anyone can tell.

The 'aggressive stance' taught to LEOs probably proliferated alongside the War on Drugs™, honestly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Dum Cumpster posted:

I recommended that a page or two ago and it seemed like a good idea to almost everyone.

Different use standard, different evidence effects. "always on and taken off during breaks" isn't the same thing, and doesn't speak to the standard applied when they aren't on.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Discendo Vox posted:

Different use standard, different evidence effects. "always on and taken off during breaks" isn't the same thing, and doesn't speak to the standard applied when they aren't on.

Sorry, I meant what he said and figured it was obvious but apparently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Dead Reckoning posted:

So let's assume for a second that they have pistols drawn on the kid and genuinely think he's going for a gun. How long do they have to wait before pulling the trigger for it not to qualify as reckless under your new standard? Once his hand is on it? Once he has it out? Once it's pointed at them?

I know this is pretty late, but it still boggles the mind that we (or at least the three people who choose to turn this thread into a ouroboros of highly-refined shitposting) are still dwelling on this particular minutiae.

But here's the thing: the cops shouldn't have had their weapons drawn on a 12-year-old child in the first place. That's what our Most Valuable shitPosters seem to miss about this whole thing. Why the gently caress would you draw your weapon on a CHILD?

You'd think the police would be equipped with the situational assessment skills necessary to see that this kid couldn't possibly couldn't represent a threat. He wasn't Kenard from The Wire.

• Locked thread