Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

GBA stuff is ONLY one the Wii U though other then the ambassador games.

Read what that guy said again:

Faux Mulder posted:

But I'd still wager that they'll never bring any original Game Boy or GBA stuff to the Wii U.

There most certainly is GBA stuff on the Wii U, and it's absolutely my favorite part of the Wii U VC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wish they would put DS or GBA games on the 3DS.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Fremry posted:

There most certainly is GBA stuff on the Wii U, and it's absolutely my favorite part of the Wii U VC.

Oh, right, fair enough. I am behind on the VC times. Let's all pretend I meant GBC.

Having them only available on the WiiU even though they've already shown that they have working GBA emulation on the 3DS is still bloody madness though.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Faux Mulder posted:

Oh, right, fair enough. I am behind on the VC times. Let's all pretend I meant GBC.

Having them only available on the WiiU even though they've already shown that they have working GBA emulation on the 3DS is still bloody madness though.

Apparently the emulation for the ambassador games is trash, which is probably why they never released them. I really enjoy GBA games on the GamePad, which is the biggest surprise I've gotten out of the Wii U.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Fremry posted:

Apparently the emulation for the ambassador games is trash, which is probably why they never released them. I really enjoy GBA games on the GamePad, which is the biggest surprise I've gotten out of the Wii U.

It was trash, but one would hope/assume that if they could get a barely passable GBA emulator running on the regular 3DS then they could probably get a more fully featured one on the New 3DS with its greater processing power. It'd certainly be a way of adding value to the system if Nintendo has no intention of making any more exclusives for it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's like a ton of games still coming out on the 3DS. It's where the majority of Nintendo exclusives go.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fawf posted:

It was trash, but one would hope/assume that if they could get a barely passable GBA emulator running on the regular 3DS then they could probably get a more fully featured one on the New 3DS with its greater processing power. It'd certainly be a way of adding value to the system if Nintendo has no intention of making any more exclusives for it.

The homebrew GBA emulation on n3DS is pretty good now and is also improving fairly rapidly.

If the hobbyists can do it so can Nintendo.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 27, 2015

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

greatn posted:

There's like a ton of games still coming out on the 3DS. It's where the majority of Nintendo exclusives go.

He's talking about the New model specifically.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

The homebrew GBA emulation on n3DS is pretty good now and is also improving fairly rapidly.

If the hobbyists can do it so can Nintendo.

Every single time someone says this what they mean is "it runs." It is actually not very good at all and is honestly pretty lovely by any standard that isn't "I am literally pirating it."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hobbyists can make a GBA emulator for the n3DS sure, but Nintendo probably isn't gonna consider it unless they're sure they can make a profit off it. I can't imagine that the n3DS's install base is large enough to warrant the effort, nor do I think that the ability to get GBA VC would be a strong enough selling point to get people to upgrade from an older 3DS model for the n3DS.

Edit: ^ Also that, there's a good chance that the emulators aren't as good as they should be to sell to the public.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Every single time someone says this what they mean is "it runs." It is actually not very good at all and is honestly pretty lovely by any standard that isn't "I am literally pirating it."

I'm not saying it's there yet but it's amazing how much improvement there have been in just a few months. The 3ds homebrew scene is still not even a year old so it isn't really surprising the emulation isn't that great yet. There are also a few games running near perfectly even now.

Give it like 6 - 12 months and it's probably going to be much better.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 27, 2015

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

homeless snail posted:

Oh okay. You're just a crazy person.

Stop getting so upset over video games, and the truth.

Rexroom posted:

:objection:

The amiibo challenges are just reruns of regular single player stages, but now you have to complete them with a chosen weapon. They're not "more then half" of Splatoon, and anyone who thinks they're getting that much will be sorely disappointed. The weapons you get from them are just reskinned regular weapons with the same payload.

The gears and minigames on the other hand are nice to have. But they're not necessary, either.

If you had read what I said, I said "more then half of the single player content" was locked behind the Amiibos. Which is true, as there are what, maybe 25 to 30 levels of Single player content, and each Amiibo unlocks an additional 20 stages, plus weapon reskins, outfits, and bonus mini-game, that's a huge chunk of content locked behind $30+ of what is basically DLC. All of that added up is actually more Single Player content, even if it is just reskins of the old content, then the game comes with.

raditts posted:

Obviously I'm not talking about free-to-play games, genius.

Fatal Frame, Rusty's, Ironfall, and Stretchmo(?) are not "Free-to-play." You may get a Demo that's free, but you are paying for those games. And that list was exactly what you asked for.

quote:

Have there been any Nintendo games with DLC that weren't complete games on their own? I can't think of any that fall into your latter category off the top of my head but I guess maybe some exist?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's like saying over half of Mega Man 9 or Sonic 06 is locked behind DLC because you have to buy Proto Man or the harder difficulty modes.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ometeotl posted:

Super Mario Maker is getting an update on the 4th to add checkpoints, status dependent power ups and a new section of levels for specific non-Nintendo collaborators (like the level that won their Facebook contest).

http://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-maker-getting-an-update-next-week-mid-level-checkpoints-event-courses-more/

Checkpoints..giving me a reason to play again. Thank you Nintendo

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Anora posted:

If you had read what I said, I said "more then half of the single player content" was locked behind the Amiibos.

I did, and I still stand uncorrected. But if you insist that it's a pretty relevant chunk of content to be locked behind figurines, and you think it's a scumbag maneuver to do so - well, that's ok. I'm just not that convinced.

Also the plural for amiibo is amiibo. Without the capital A.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anora posted:

Stop getting so upset over video games, and the truth.

If you had read what I said, I said "more then half of the single player content" was locked behind the Amiibos. Which is true, as there are what, maybe 25 to 30 levels of Single player content, and each Amiibo unlocks an additional 20 stages, plus weapon reskins, outfits, and bonus mini-game, that's a huge chunk of content locked behind $30+ of what is basically DLC. All of that added up is actually more Single Player content, even if it is just reskins of the old content, then the game comes with.

Fatal Frame, Rusty's, Ironfall, and Stretchmo(?) are not "Free-to-play." You may get a Demo that's free, but you are paying for those games. And that list was exactly what you asked for.
Did you know, Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer is literally 1/412th of a game if you don't buy all the amiibos and cards?? Follow the money.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I see Anora's point. I remember when games included challenges as part of the full package, rather than behind figurines marketed at children and those select weird friends everyone has, you know the ones. I also don't see his point because idk why you would expect anything else from Ninty, whose recent love of micro-transactions feels (to me) like a desperate attempt to breathe life into an increasingly "meh" brand name that just can't compete in such an aggressive market. I think the holiday line up is just awful.

Though I am curious to see what this NX is all about. Personally, I hope it's a smartwatch that can only play Pokemon Go and Steel Diver, as well as a few Choice Nintendo Apps (calendars, etc).

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rexroom posted:

I did, and I still stand uncorrected. But if you insist that it's a pretty relevant chunk of content to be locked behind figurines, and you think it's a scumbag maneuver to do so - well, that's ok. I'm just not that convinced.

Also the plural for amiibo is amiibo. Without the capital A.

It's a large chunk of something to do, and the different weapon challenges and the timed/limited ink challenges are different then the standard one, maybe not in visuals, but they do require you to approach the level differently. I also never said it was scummy, DLC is DLC, it is here and we must accept it.

Either way, you're spending $60 to get 30 single player levels and a tiny amount of multiplayer. Amiibos expand the single player, while the free DLCs are beefing up the multiplayer. It's still an example of getting a slimmed down game where the majority of content is behind DLC, even if it's free.

homeless snail posted:

Did you know, Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer is literally 1/412th of a game if you don't buy all the amiibos and cards?? Follow the money.

You're still getting way to angry about video games. :allears:

Also, you can access the content in HHD, but having the card just lets you summon them, I think. I haven't played it.

ChaosArgate posted:

That's like saying over half of Mega Man 9 or Sonic 06 is locked behind DLC because you have to buy Proto Man or the harder difficulty modes.

Mega Man 9 was a full Mega Man game, the Proto Man and higher difficulties were just add-on content, but that was a prescident set by previous titles in the series. I was unaware Sonic 06 had DLC, and even if all but the first 2 seconds of the game was behind paid DLC, that would not be the worst that game has to offer.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Splatoon doesn't have 4 multiplayer levels and never had only 4 multilayer levels. I'm sure you'll say I'm getting mad about video games to deflect that but I don't care because you're literally crazy

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
You can only play on 4 at anyone time,

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Anora posted:

You can only play on 4 at anyone time,

You're not very good at this

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

homeless snail posted:

Quoting this because of how weird and wrong it is and I just want it known.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Quoting this because of how weird and wrong it is and I just want it known.
Yeah you're right, I forgot to take into account the special edition amiibo cards.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Did something happen to Taint Reaper that caused these lesser reapers to spring up?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You mean to tell me we have to buy games after we buy the console?! Nice going $N$I$N$T$E$N$D$O$

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Raserys posted:

Did something happen to Taint Reaper that caused these lesser reapers to spring up?

VirtualBoyColor made his return and thus the Nintendo universe axis of fanboy to hater was out of balance.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Raserys posted:

I guess you reap
what you sow

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I played a demo of Wooly World at Gamestop the other day. Is it me or are the jumping physics a bit weird? Yoshi feels oddly heavy considering his whole thing is hovering.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Feels similar to the SNES one to me.:shrug:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Augus posted:

I played a demo of Wooly World at Gamestop the other day. Is it me or are the jumping physics a bit weird? Yoshi feels oddly heavy considering his whole thing is hovering.
I don't think hovering is Yoshi's thing so much as frantically kicking his feet to try to stay in the air and overcome gravity. The flutter jump has always had a weird curve specifically designed to make you think you're going to miss a jump right before you pop back up and over the edge. I don't know or care if the physics are the same as Yoshi's Island but its certainly true to how I remember it being.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Raserys posted:

This has got to be his little brother that sucks at the job.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yoshi's Woolly World has kind of a weird speed to it in general, it doesn't feel nearly as fast as the original but it's still pretty fun. It's a shame there's some really, really terribly designed levels in it but it's still the closest to a proper yoshi sequel we've ever really had.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's a shame there's some really, really terribly designed levels in it

Such as?

Only one I can think of is that loving Frame Boo level

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Regy Rusty posted:

Such as?

Only one I can think of is that loving Frame Boo level

Right off the bat in my mind is the level in the snow area that has you climbing up a mountain side with vanishing snake platforms and you go in and out of doors constantly flipping back and forth. That level sucks super hard.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAUuVZYnaHA

Isabelle is your lifeline.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Right off the bat in my mind is the level in the snow area that has you climbing up a mountain side with vanishing snake platforms and you go in and out of doors constantly flipping back and forth. That level sucks super hard.

Yeah you're right. That and the one I mentioned are actually kinda similar in that they have an absurd amount of obnoxious poo poo between each checkpoint and if you screw up you have to do it all over again.

Frame boo level also has a final yarn that is missable if you don't make a perfect jump, gently caress that level.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

You can use any AC Amiibo figure as a lifeline, I think, but not the cards?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Digby Lifeline 4 Ever.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They make a weird distinction between what things you can do with amiibos and what things you can do with cards, it seems unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm not entirely convinced checkpoints are a good thing because it seems like it will just further encourage lovely long levels.

• Locked thread