Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How about an actual Thing: Obama says on Twitter that we must support our troops police and he has spent over $2 billion to train police officers. Go gently caress yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pathetic little tramp posted:

The house has filed papers of impeachment. Against IRS commissioner Koskinen

edit, the charges:

You tired of hearing about e-mails? WELL gently caress YOU - Sincerely, the House.

Let's be honest, they are just upset they can't impeach Obama.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CommieGIR posted:

Let's be honest, they are just upset they can't impeach Obama.

Why can't they?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I got bored and skipped like 5 seconds and the camp went from sitting there to just nothing. God drat we're good at murder and mayhem.

That's what happens when you spend literally obscene amounts of money on the military though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

zoux posted:

I remember reading that his whole goal was to goad the West into such unconscionable brutality against the Mideast that the whole Muslim world would unite in response and usher in the global Caliphate but that's my fuzzy recollection.

I remember that too, vaguely. There's time for that to happen yet, if we keep loving around over there.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
At this point I'm convinced the entire House is fill of ulililililia style autistic people who literally can't do anything unless they have an e-mail documenting it.

"Honey can you take the trash out?"

*Jason Chaffetz huffs and grinds his teeth as he looks up from his laptop.*

"Oh for gently caress's sake." *His wife sends an e-mail from her phone*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I remember that too, vaguely. There's time for that to happen yet, if we keep loving around over there.

Oh I'm not saying we're past that outcome at all. Well that direct outcome, I think the unconscionable brutality horrifying the Muslim world has been pretty established. It's been clear for a long time that 9/11 was an absolute and total victory for al-Qaeda.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

mcmagic posted:

Why can't they?

Well technically there's no reason they can't as such, but there appears to be just barely enough vestigial memory of the horrific clownshow that was the Clinton impeachment in the 90s which all-but wrecked the Republican resurgence which had sprung out of 1994 midterms for the current party to try again.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 27, 2015

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

greatn posted:

I didn't see any special forces soldiers dying when Bush was president.

Never to enemy fire.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

LeeMajors posted:

Whether or not we killed or capture Osama was irrelevant--the moment we congealed into a quivering mass of nationalism, started revoking personal freedoms and spending trillions of dollars destabilizing a region, he won. The subsequent divisiveness, xenophobia, erosion of due process, obstructionism....all just gravy.

17 hijackers and a small terrorist organization managed to bring a world power to its knees in more ways than one--socially, financially, ethically.

The fact that we are still putting boots on the ground in the middle east is further proof.

Bin Laden is also responsible for the TSA's bullshit

fucker

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

zoux posted:

Oh I'm not saying we're past that outcome at all. Well that direct outcome, I think the unconscionable brutality horrifying the Muslim world has been pretty established. It's been clear for a long time that 9/11 was an absolute and total victory for al-Qaeda.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Doesn't count, the military guys I know say he deserved it for being a pinko idiot.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well technically there's no reason they can't as such, but there appears to be just barely enough vestigial memory of the horrific clownshow that was the Clinton impeachment in the 90s which all-but wrecked the Republican resurgence which had sprung out of 1994 midterms for the current party to try again.
They also know it would end up like just like it did last time, and just 11-hour Benghazi thing did: aka it would backfire hard and make Obama look good instead of bad.

They've tried hard, but there's nothing spinnably bad enough to impeach Obama over. Stuff like Guantanamo, NSA spying, drones, and the like is stuff they wholeheartedly agree with, and would mean looking at George W. Bush again.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

How about an actual Thing: Obama says on Twitter that we must support our troops police and he has spent over $2 billion to train police officers. Go gently caress yourself.

Is spending money to retrain police officers to not kill unarmed people a bad thing or am I reading this wrong?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

fade5 posted:

They also know it would end up like just like it did last time, and just 11-hour Benghazi thing did: aka it would backfire hard and make Obama look good instead of bad.

They've tried hard, but there's nothing spinnably bad enough to impeach Obama over. Stuff like Guantanamo, NSA spying, drones, and the like is stuff they wholeheartedly agree with.

I must admit that the utter lack of personal scandals is one of the things I appreciate, and I suspect infuriates the GOP, the most about the Obama administration. I mean yeah, like you say there's any number of policy things you can criticize him for but nothing the opposition party could meaningfully try to oust him over, really.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

Is spending money to retrain police officers to not kill unarmed people a bad thing or am I reading this wrong?

Well it's not working...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I must admit that the utter lack of personal scandals is one of the things I appreciate, and I suspect infuriates the GOP, the most about the Obama administration. I mean yeah, like you say there's any number of policy things you can criticize him for but nothing the opposition party could meaningfully try to oust him over, really.

What about gay cocaine limo parties with Reggie?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There's still over a year left of his administration for something to come to light :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can't train people to not be pieces of poo poo. You can make examples out of pieces of poo poo to scare the other ones though. But god forbid we prosecute a super citizen.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

We ought to be using that money to give PDs colonoscopies and flushing all the poo poo out, not trying to polish turds

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zoux posted:

What about gay cocaine limo parties with Reggie?

What about the gay cocaine limo parties with Reggie?!

Greatbacon posted:

There's still over a year left of his administration for something to come to light :v:

Good point. I'm sure the next investigative committee will be the one that blows the lid right off this thing, much as the next House vote is sure to be the one that finally overturns Obamacare for good.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well it's not working...

Yeah. You're quote and reaction make a lot of sense.

He was speaking to a room full of police chiefs about reform and the political/ social state of policing but I guess she should have just tweeted, "gently caress the police, lol" huh?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yes. He should, because there are two things you should do at all times:

1) Apologize to rovert
2) Say gently caress the police.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cher's with us, all.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well it's not working...

When did it start?

Magres posted:

We ought to be using that money to give PDs colonoscopies and flushing all the poo poo out, not trying to polish turds

Boost training standards enough and PDs would ideally flush the turds out just to keep their accreditation.

And considering that the executive is too chickenshit to say right wing terrorism is a thing I unno how well a reshuffling of local and state PDs would go over to be honest.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yes. He should, because there are two things you should do at all times:

1) Apologize to rovert
2) Say gently caress the police.

Tweet it no, but it should well blare from his limousine speakers.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If NYT were to be judged by its opinion columns it would not be a very good paper, but still better than most. Dowd is so well-known for hating Hillary that all the top comments are calling her out for being nonsensical and tiresome. That and Dowd loves armchair psychiatry as an explanation of all government.

I just remember that at one time I liked and enjoyed reading her columns; a fact that makes me uncomfortable now.
I swear she wasn't always this bad, but at the same time I couldn't make an argument in her defense.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

I remember reading that his whole goal was to goad the West into such unconscionable brutality against the Mideast that the whole Muslim world would unite in response and usher in the global Caliphate but that's my fuzzy recollection.

uh...about that wahhabi caliphate thing...

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pox posted:

Eh, not really. Back when things weren't as insane, the ceiling frequently got moved as part of larger budget agreements.

Attempting to obfuscate the difference between this and hostage taking has been the Republicans main strategy during the last couple debt ceiling rounds. But I think the Dems would take this deal wheather the debt ceiling was involved or not, which makes it completely different than the pure concession extraction that the Rs have been looking for in the last few rounds,. In fact, I'm pretty surprised the Rs think this can pass the house.

Hope they have the votes ready to go for a standalone increase if it fails.

My problem is that we seem to have yet another deal where Republicans didn't have to take any hits. Sure, we seem to have lift the sequester caps, but that was offset by cuts in other spending. Granted, yes not all spending is created equal, but it would be nice to see Republicans receive some pain once in a while too. But ever since they took control of the House, every single budget deal that's come out has always been in their favor.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Mr Interweb posted:

My problem is that we seem to have yet another deal where Republicans didn't have to take any hits. Sure, we seem to have lift the sequester caps, but that was offset by cuts in other spending. Granted, yes not all spending is created equal, but it would be nice to see Republicans receive some pain once in a while too. But ever since they took control of the House, every single budget deal that's come out has always been in their favor.

Well no poo poo, they control the House and the Senate

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Axetrain posted:

The party of white supremacists is not going to nominate a black man, period.

Well, all the negroes voted for Obama just because he's black, so if we put one of ours up there they'll do the same thing!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

zoux posted:

Cher's with us, all.

I just want to say that if you haven't already you should follow Cher on Twitter. I mean not just because she is a fabulous gay icon but almost everything she posts is adorably unhinged, even when you might agree with her.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fknlo posted:

Well, all the negroes voted for Obama just because he's black, so if we put one of ours up there they'll do the same thing!

It's more about cover for their racist policies.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

It's more because they like and respect the guy, agree with his policies, and find his life story inspirational

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Bob Ojeda posted:

Sure, but Obama holds the presidency. Theoretically, you'd think that would mean both sides would have to compromise.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bob Ojeda posted:

Yeah, these days, an agreement like this where we're disappointed that Obama is caving to just maintain a functioning government but right-wingers are furious that it hasn't gone far enough to shut it down is about the best outcome possible.

The Overton Window is a hell of a drug.

vvv Exactly. If they had their way, Obama would have been barred from passing any new regulations, Medicare and Social Security would be cut, and the financial world would be in chaos as we stuck to the debt ceiling. vvv

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 27, 2015

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Sure, but Obama holds the presidency. Theoretically, you'd think that would mean both sides would have to compromise.

This is compromise for them.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

Not really no. Congress by design holds more power than any other branch of government.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Boon posted:

Not really no. Congress by design holds more power than any other branch of government.

They still did the same thing even when Dems controlled the senate.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bob Ojeda posted:

This is compromise for them.

Exactly, if they wanted to be obstructionists they'd hold out for the full dissolution of the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
More doctors without Borders getting bombed:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/28/world/middleeast/doctors-without-borders-yemen-airstrikes.html

quote:

“With the hospital destroyed, at least 200,000 people now have no access to lifesaving medical care,” Doctors Without Borders said in a statement. Hassan Boucenine, the group’s head of mission in Yemen, said in the statement that the attack was “another illustration of a complete disregard for civilians in Yemen, where bombings have become a daily routine.”

Wasn't us this time! Just our allies.

• Locked thread