Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

An old friend of my father's, one of those guys who you know throughout childhood as "uncle" despite not being a blood relation, added me on Facebook a little while back, and I immediately became disappointed in him. He's a former university employee, now retired and living off his university pension, who spends a fair chunk of the day posting libertarian screeds and whinging about how Kids These Days are too soft, and so forth. I try to just ignore his stuff for the most part, but he posts so goddamned much of it that it's nearly impossible to avoid entirely. I'm just really tired of it and want to respond to something he posts, so when he posted a thing about These Blasted Millenials And Their Trigger Warnings I decided to have at it.

He's Sil Antro, I'm Frank N. Stein.

I got frustrated at the end there.

"Soviet soldiers rapping their way through Berlin"

Yo MC Stalin in da hooooouuuuuuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoQb8vb4blA

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So I got a person on Facebook that I respect considerably posting some crazy stuff about Hillary and I am unsure the proper approach. He posted some meme that shows a bored Hillary with the caption that says something about not giving a drat about being held accountable for four deaths. I responded with a question along the lines of "what did she actually do wrong?" and got the following:

quote:

Hmmm-let's see. Over 200 additional security requests that were denied & oh yeah-went along w/the "it's a video narrative" not a terrorist attack!!! Didn't need the hearings to know this was a big lie/coverup. But the hearing did produce 2 emails from the bitch the night of to her fam & the pm of Egypt-saying it was an al queda style terrorist attack?? That's a fact-emails to prove it. I certainly hope you don't want her as the commander in chief?? She'd sell u down the river to protect her dumb rear end!!!

Not to up to date on what has come out of the Benghazi hearings but I assume nothing substantial and that Republicans are really just taking the mountain of bullshit angle where repeating enough lies and misinformation is enough to ruin a persons credibility. I suppose I am wondering if anyone has tried to tackle some friends/family hatred with reason on this subject with any sort of luck. I figured I'd come here for some advice/talking points before formulating an equally misinformed response. I should be happy he didn't claim she ordered the rescue force to standdown anything that level of crazy.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 27, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I doubt anything you post will make a bit of difference. He's made up his mind already and is completely convinced he's right, to the point where he's proactively attacking you just in case you support Hillary.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, but the bystanders may not be so set in their thinking. Always better to try, I guess.

ArgonHarvester
Sep 6, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Guess who's on EBT and foot stamps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nMiavVQicU&t=156

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

I doubt anything you post will make a bit of difference. He's made up his mind already and is completely convinced he's right, to the point where he's proactively attacking you just in case you support Hillary.

Yeah, I don't plan on changing his mind, I assume the hatred he shows goes beyond anything she has done. That being said I'd like to offer a rebuttal but there is so much bullshit in the air over Benghazi I'm never sure what is true or not. Like I assume the 200 requests thing is true but not the kind of thing a Secretary of State handles but the personal emails one I'm at a loss. I'm tempted to just go the double standard route and compare his outrage to his non-outrage over Bush when he voted him a 2nd time and call it a day.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, I don't plan on changing his mind, I assume the hatred he shows goes beyond anything she has done. That being said I'd like to offer a rebuttal but there is so much bullshit in the air over Benghazi I'm never sure what is true or not. Like I assume the 200 requests thing is true but not the kind of thing a Secretary of State handles but the personal emails one I'm at a loss. I'm tempted to just go the double standard route and compare his outrage to his non-outrage over Bush when he voted him a 2nd time and call it a day.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2015/10/21/a-comprehensive-guide-to-myths-and-facts-about/206289

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Uroboros posted:

The terrorist group Ansar al-Sharia initially claimed public responsibility for the attacks and then later withdrew it, this led to confusion in the initial understanding of the attack.

quote:

On 11 September 2012, the United States Department of State Operations Center advised the White House Situation Room and other U.S. security units that Ansar al-Sharia was claiming responsibility for the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi that had just occurred... According to longwarjournal.org, the group issued a statement asserting that it "didn't participate as a sole entity" and that the attack "was a spontaneous popular uprising" to the film trailer Innocence of Muslims, widely condemned as anti-Islamic.

Turns out there's some confusion and conflicting information in the first hours after an attack. It was certainly in the administration's interest to not emphasize it as a terrorist attack but they were dealing with mostly unverified information in an evolving situation when her statements were made.

Or at least, that's my understanding of it.

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013
Not political, but I believe the generic idiots on social media thread is dead, so here it goes:

Good evidence you're working with a good doctor when they can just tell you have a gluten sensitivity without any tests.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Uroboros posted:

So I got a person on Facebook that I respect considerably posting some crazy stuff about Hillary and I am unsure the proper approach.

That for me is the biggest bummer about Facebook - I get to peek into the darkest corners of people's brains and I usually don't like what I find. I have a lot of Facebook friends via my hobby and 95% are ultra-right conservatives who post the craziest things and link to all those terrible clickbait websites. I even hesitate to post stuff publicly for them to see, for fear of setting one of them off.

I get a ton of friend requests from random old acquaintances and distant family members that I ignore, I'd just like to remember them as they were and I don't want to discover what crazy people they turned into.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

VorpalBunny posted:

That for me is the biggest bummer about Facebook - I get to peek into the darkest corners of people's brains and I usually don't like what I find. I have a lot of Facebook friends via my hobby and 95% are ultra-right conservatives who post the craziest things and link to all those terrible clickbait websites. I even hesitate to post stuff publicly for them to see, for fear of setting one of them off.

I get a ton of friend requests from random old acquaintances and distant family members that I ignore, I'd just like to remember them as they were and I don't want to discover what crazy people they turned into.

This is a guy I go to drill with, so being a conservative isn't a huge surprise, but considering how on the spot he is in every aspect of his job I find it unsettling. I've rarely met a person who is more measured in his decisions and prepared for most situations. It isn't like he is the rush to judge kind of guy, and he doesn't normally bombard social media with crazy stuff, but Hillary sure has gotten his choler up.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I nominate that my typo be the new way we refer to food stamps. Call them Bootstraps! instead.

I almost want to ask my dad who he is voting for. I imagine he'd think Trump is right on illegals but not business smart, and he can't vote for Carson because he's black, and that leaves....who if you are a bitter racist hating everyone without an R by their name?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

I nominate that my typo be the new way we refer to food stamps. Call them Bootstraps! instead.

I almost want to ask my dad who he is voting for. I imagine he'd think Trump is right on illegals but not business smart, and he can't vote for Carson because he's black, and that leaves....who if you are a bitter racist hating everyone without an R by their name?

If he's not willing to overlook Trump's flaws because "straight talkin' hard drivin' businessman will make the Messicans pay for the wall," my money's on Cruz. Report back.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Uroboros posted:

http://news.yahoo.com/correction-benghazi-investigators-story-164417157.html

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a story May 18 and May 19 about Republican members of the new House Select Committee on Benghazi, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, had asserted that the State Department rejected more than 200 requests for additional security before the deadly Benghazi attack. Jordan's comments were incorrectly characterized. He spoke of more than 200 security incidents in Libya before the attack.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Good luck getting anyone to see that as anything other than evidence of a huge mainstream media cover-up.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Why exactly does half my Facebook take anything that the Young Conservatives / Allen West sites as truth? The comments sections of those sites are loving scary as hell. I'm starting to think I need to double down and make a website called Echo Chamber or something and just post an 'Obama is about to take all the guns away' article every day and make millions off the ad money

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So where does the 600 number come from then?

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Dr Christmas posted:

So where does the 600 number come from then?

apparently there were over "600 security requests" related to benghazi and libya during 2012.

what exactly is a security request and why the head of the department of state should read them is a mystery, but the very reputable internet news outlets that reported this history said that this number must be compared with the 150 emails sent by a personal friend of her in the same time frame.

Google should really pay someone to develop a "reputable news source" filter for their news search.

Magrov fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 28, 2015

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Saw this from the extremely conservative wife of a friend...this channel is just full of nutjob poo poo. Anyone heard of anything in particular about this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U9ilNsyxXw

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

quote:

Subject: FW: Dutch courage - we need some too!

The Netherlands , where six per cent of the population
is now Muslim, is scrapping multiculturalism.

The Dutch government says it will abandon the
long-standing model of multiculturalism that
has encouraged Muslim immigrants to create a
parallel society within the Netherlands.

A new integration bill, which Dutch Interior
Minister Piet Hein Donner presented to parliament,
on June 16, 2015 reads:

"The government shares the social dissatisfaction
over the multicultural society model and plans
to shift priority to the values of the Dutch people."

In the new integration system, the values of the
Dutch society, play a central role.

With this change, the government steps away
from the model of a multicultural society.

The letter continues: "A more obligatory
integration is justified because the government
also demands that from its own citizens."

It is necessary because otherwise the society
gradually grows apart and eventually no one
feels at home anymore in the Netherlands .

The new integration policy will place more
demands on immigrants.

For example, immigrants will be required to
learn the Dutch language, and the government
will take a tougher approach to immigrants who
ignore Dutch values or disobey Dutch law.

The government will also stop offering special
subsidies for Muslim immigrants because,
according to Donner;

"It is not the government's job to integrate
immigrants.." (How bloody true!!!)

The government will introduce new legislation
that outlaws forced marriages and will also
impose tougher measures against Muslim immigrants
who lower their chances of employment by the way
they dress.

More specifically, the government imposed a ban
on face-covering, Islamic burqas as of January 1, 2015.

Holland has done that whole liberal thing, and
realized - maybe too late - that creating a nation
of tribes, will kill the nation itself.

The future of Australia, the UK, USA, Canada and
New Zealand may well be read here.

READERS NOTE: Muslim immigrants leave their
countries of birth because of civil and political
unrest . . . "CREATED BY THE VERY NATURE OF
THEIR CULTURE.”

Countries like Holland, Canada, USA, UK, Australia,
and New Zealand have an established way of life that
actually works, so why embrace the unworkable?

If Muslims do not wish to accept another culture,
the answer is simple; "STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!"

This gives a whole new meaning to the term, 'Dutch
Courage' ... Unfortunately Australian, UK, USA,
Canadian, and New Zealand politicians don't have
the guts to do the same. There's a whole lot of truth here!!!

Only 86% will send this on. Should be 100%!!!

Multiculturalism is bad.

edit:

moist turtleneck posted:

Why exactly does half my Facebook take anything that the Young Conservatives / Allen West sites as truth?

They don't, it's just the intoxicating effect of being part of a support group.

Lemma fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 28, 2015

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

Saw this from the extremely conservative wife of a friend...this channel is just full of nutjob poo poo. Anyone heard of anything in particular about this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U9ilNsyxXw
This happened just yesterday but here's a non-nutjob source:
http://abc13.com/education/teacher-reportedly-tells-student-god-doesnt-exist/1054271/

quote:

The West Memorial Junior High student says it happened during Reading Class Monday. The assignment was to classify each statement as an "opinion," "factual claim" or "commonplace assertion." One statement read "There is a God."

Jordan Wooley, 12, tells Eyewitness News she answered that statement as both "factual claim" and "opinion."
---
Full Katy ISD Statement:

"Yesterday, October 26, at the end of the school day, two West Memorial Junior High parents contacted the school's principal to share their concern over a classroom activity that they felt questioned students' religious beliefs. The school principal immediately responded to the parents by informing them that she would investigate and meet with the teacher the following morning. At the conclusion of the investigation today, the principal determined that the classroom activity included an item that was unnecessary for achieving the instructional standard. The activity, which was intended to encourage critical thinking skills and dialogue by engaging students in an exercise wherein they identified statements as fact, opinion, or common assertion was not intended to question or challenge any student's religious beliefs as reported by some media outlets.

The teacher is distraught by this incident, as some commentary has gone as far as to vilify her without knowing her, her Christian faith, or the context of the classroom activity. Still, this does not excuse the fact that this ungraded activity was ill-conceived and because of that, its intent had been misconstrued. As a result, the activity will no longer be used by the school, and appropriate personnel action will be taken. The school regrets any misconceptions that may have resulted from this teacher-developed classroom activity and assures its school community that the religious beliefs of all students and staff are welcomed and valued at Memorial Junior High."
Bad question for school, although I'm partial to believe that "that's an opinion, a fact is something that can be proven/disproven" turned into "God is imaginary and you're a dumb baby" when a 7th grader repeated it enough times.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

So basically a teacher who is Christian ran children through a critical thinking exercise, and this 7th grader failed?

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2015/1027/Muslim-truck-drivers-refuse-to-deliver-beer-win-240-000-lawsuit

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Please tell me this person sided with Kim Davis

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

moist turtleneck posted:

Why exactly does half my Facebook take anything that the Young Conservatives / Allen West sites as truth? The comments sections of those sites are loving scary as hell. I'm starting to think I need to double down and make a website called Echo Chamber or something and just post an 'Obama is about to take all the guns away' article every day and make millions off the ad money
The correct response to any Allen West article is "War Criminal Allen West" and a link

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Defenestration posted:

The correct response to any Allen West article is "War Criminal Allen West" and a link

Eh, I doubt many right wingers find his actions objectionable. We're talking about a political group that gave no shits about water boarding or torture, and in fact proudly boast about their support of it in their memes.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

CowHammer posted:

Good evidence you're working with a good doctor when they can just tell you have a gluten sensitivity without any tests.

Query: how is this man alive if his blood stream is on the outside of his body? Because that's the only way the auto-immune system could attack you inside and out.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'd be on the company's side in this case, but these fellas were willing to deliver other poo poo instead of the alcohol. But instead of swapping trucks, the company people were being hardasses for no reason so gently caress em. They went out of business before court proceedings finished so the point is moot now anyway.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Uroboros posted:

So basically a teacher who is Christian ran children through a critical thinking exercise, and this 7th grader failed?

if the kid is lead to believe that teachers are just trying to trick you into hating god then this is a reasonable if absurdly incorrect perception of an innocent lesson about factual claims, tho to be honest the teacher should have known that in any way insinuating that god can't be empirically proven in texas is wildly politically incorrect by local standards

it's pretty telling that a lot of these persecution warriors with a chip on their shoulder immediately assume that a middle school english teacher in suburban texas is some kind of liberal satanist dictator and not, you know, a christian, like the majority of the country

of course folks who are gullible enough to reblog crap like this probably define christian as "anyone who believes exactly what i do in the same way at the same time that i do" and not "someone who believes that jesus christ died in some fashion to redeem humanity's sins"

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 28, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SSNeoman posted:

I'd be on the company's side in this case, but these fellas were willing to deliver other poo poo instead of the alcohol. But instead of swapping trucks, the company people were being hardasses for no reason so gently caress em. They went out of business before court proceedings finished so the point is moot now anyway.

This is a pretty clear cut case of the company having other options. Much like how the Kim Davis case was ultimately solved by the judge forcing her office to accommodate gay couples without involving her. Funny how that works.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

CowHammer posted:

Not political, but I believe the generic idiots on social media thread is dead, so here it goes:

Well, they did mention it was "functional medicine", i.e. woo bs

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

quote:

The teacher is distraught by this incident, as some commentary has gone as far as to vilify her without knowing her, her Christian faith, or the context of the classroom activity. Still, this does not excuse the fact that this ungraded activity was ill-conceived and because of that, its intent had been misconstrued.

Sounds like this academic exercise could've benefited from a trigger warning. :smug:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
So it WAS a bomb!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Defenestration posted:

If he's not willing to overlook Trump's flaws because "straight talkin' hard drivin' businessman will make the Messicans pay for the wall," my money's on Cruz. Report back.

Cruz is what he would call "a white-faced wetback." So maybe he'll vote for Trump because a stupid white guy is better than any other race or gender any day.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Seems pretty anti-democracy to me. What happened to bombing the crap out of the middle east so they can have democracy?

Is our devious plan to give them a form of government that we know doesn't work?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I kinda just want to reply with a picture of Sherman but I don't know if he'll get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"If the majority decided they wanted your bike voting rights, they could take it"

I mean, the only reason they're balking at this set-up is that these days the majority isn't doing things that they agree with.