Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To be honest entitlement and a refusal to change are some of the biggest issues we're facing now.

Nah, they're some of the biggest probelsm the next generation will be facing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Just in time for this thread, an actual conservation biologist has blogged (hurr durr) about the question of whether a mars colony would save earth (spoiler alert: it doesn't), raising the question of whether conservation biologist Corey Bradshaw is a loving goon :v:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who ever suggested sending billions of people into space was the idea in the first place? Send the best and brightest to create a new civilization and leave all us other retards on the planet to rot in the mess we've made.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Zeno-25 posted:

Who ever suggested sending billions of people into space was the idea in the first place? Send the best and brightest to create a new civilization and leave all us other retards on the planet to rot in the mess we've made.

It would take exactly one generation for your cool new civ to be ruined by a new crop of morons.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Zeno-25 posted:

Unfortunately, they'll all die from a disease contracted from an unsanitized telephone.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zeno-25 posted:

I presume we measure "best and brightest" by net worth, as we do now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Larch posted:

Unfortunately, they'll all die from a disease contracted from an unsanitized telephone.

While the rest of us zeebs left behind make leaves the new currency and get filthy rich

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Fuel efficiency is for communists and hippies, friend citizen. Buy. Consume. Nothing is ever enough. Waste as much as you can. You earned it.

Fuel Efficiency is an admirable goal, but this is an innovation/access issue. We have a Prius in my household for commuting, but by-and-large good alternative fuel vehicles aren't particularly affordable or practical for a long distance commuter.

I'd love to drive a loving Tesla to work, but no one can afford it. Volts are expensive.

Affordable hybrids are around, but generally in high demand. I agree that short-sighted F-950 buying is probably ill-advised, but there are a lack of practical solutions for modern middle-class consumers.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

Fuel Efficiency is an admirable goal, but this is an innovation/access issue. We have a Prius in my household for commuting, but by-and-large good alternative fuel vehicles aren't particularly affordable or practical for a long distance commuter.

I'd love to drive a loving Tesla to work, but no one can afford it. Volts are expensive.

Affordable hybrids are around, but generally in high demand. I agree that short-sighted F-950 buying is probably ill-advised, but there are a lack of practical solutions for modern middle-class consumers.

All told electric mass transit is probably the best option but Americans have a really bizarre hatred for mass transit and a raging boner for personal vehicles.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

All told electric mass transit is probably the best option but Americans have a really bizarre hatred for mass transit and a raging boner for personal vehicles.

Agreed. And its why nearly every mid-sized city (mine included) is in a perpetual state of gridlock crisis.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

I presume we measure "best and brightest" by net worth, as we do now.

Hey, humanity has already gone through at least one much less controlled genetic bottleneck. Some things transcend ideology.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So does anyone anywhere in the world that doesn't live 10 minutes away from their work. If you want to make everyone use mass electric transit, then you need to personalize public transportation.

Batham fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 27, 2015

bij
Feb 24, 2007

America is full of climate change deniers and conservatives, many of which are poor and/or obese. Nobody wants to be stuck on a bus with those.

Since we're probably doomed I say we go out with a bang and get started on some O'Neill cylinders to park at the Lagrange points.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Potential BFF posted:

Since we're probably doomed I say we go out with a bang and get started on some O'Neill cylinders to park at the Lagrange points.

That would make too much sense, we're going to blow all our space dreams on sending some people to die on Mars instead.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When you figure out how to make a closed environment self-sustaining in orbit I have some ideas about how you could get free gravity and heat management and save a lot on fuel costs.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I would rather the human race go extinct than allow a "chosen few" to explore space while the rest of us die. Why should any one of us care about the human race (specially selected human race, natch) continuing on a new planet?

LeeMajors posted:

I'm a middle class consumer and I drive a Leaf for my above-average commute of ~35 minutes each way every day. The tax rebates make it very affordable, more affordable than the average new car in fact. It's doable if you're not worried about your penis size being compromised. Next step is replacing my solar credits with PV panels.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 27, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Radbot posted:

I would rather the human race go extinct than allow a "chosen few" to explore space while the rest of us die. Why should any one of us care about the human race (specially selected human race, natch) continuing on a new planet?

The importance of continuing the human race is either self-evident or non-existent.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

blowfish posted:

The importance of continuing the human race is either self-evident or non-existent.

I'm not asking about continuing the human race. I'm asking about why we should be positive about bottlenecking the human race through some sort of Galt's Gulch spacecraft where only the "best" get to leave our dying planet.

If we all get to leave, let's talk. If Jamie Dimon and Bill Gates' kids get to leave while mine don't, gently caress that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

I'm not asking about continuing the human race. I'm asking about why we should be positive about bottlenecking the human race through some sort of Galt's Gulch spacecraft where only the "best" get to leave our dying planet.

If we all get to leave, let's talk. If Jamie Dimon and Bill Gates' kids get to leave while mine don't, gently caress that.

Besides, the scale of building some craft like that and implementing the social reforms to make it a utopian paradise would actually be more difficult than dealing with climate change.

Also human extinction isn't likely within the timeframe where we can assume massive advances in technology will occur. We should deal with climate change, then build better ships in the out years if we're building ships.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
By 2100, summer temperatures in Mecca, Dubai, Doha, Bandar Abbas, and Abu Dhabi may become incompatible with human survival.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 27, 2015

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

We won the war on terror.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They aren't already? I thought Dubai only got down to like 100 degrees in the winter.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Arglebargle III posted:

They aren't already? I thought Dubai only got down to like 100 degrees in the winter.

They're talking about more incidents like this one, except humid enough to make human sweating completely useless. That is, a wet bulb temperature of 95 degrees. That incident only hit a wet bulb temperature of 89.6.

The study shows that 5+ hour periods with wet bulb temperatures of 95+ degrees could happen several times in a 30 year period at the end of the century.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Radbot posted:

The idea is to send out colony ships, not to relocate the whole species. If the goal is to create independent human populations, it is irrelevant whether the selection is random, based on objective criteria, or a FYGM shitshow as long as it doesn't make the colony unviable.

Arglebargle III posted:

Nah, that's not quite enough to kill you just yet.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Besides, the scale of building some craft like that and implementing the social reforms to make it a utopian paradise would actually be more difficult than dealing with climate change.

Also human extinction isn't likely within the timeframe where we can assume massive advances in technology will occur. We should deal with climate change, then build better ships in the out years if we're building ships.

also they would all die anyway. space travel of that sort is impractical to impossible. so, who gives a gently caress? autistic libertarian nerds can dream about colonizing mars all they like, it'll never happen or be worthwhile for anyone aside from scientists to study the lifeless lovely rock.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

also they would all die anyway. space travel of that sort is impractical to impossible. so, who gives a gently caress? autistic libertarian nerds can dream about colonizing mars all they like, it'll never happen or be worthwhile for anyone aside from scientists to stuffy the lifeless lovely rock.

clearly you aren't thinking sufficiently far ahead

in like five hundred years humanity could have the capability to build a big loving space ark :v:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Lamebot posted:

We won the war on terror.

No poo poo, that was the very first thought that entered my money.

COAL ROLLIN' FOR JESUS

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Greenland is melting away

Some award winning page design from the NYT, if nothing else. :eyepop:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

blowfish posted:

The idea is to send out colony ships, not to relocate the whole species. If the goal is to create independent human populations, it is irrelevant whether the selection is random, based on objective criteria, or a FYGM shitshow as long as it doesn't make the colony unviable.

I get it, and I will vote against/sabotage this beepboop attempt at "continuing" humanity at any and every possibility.

Thanks for making it clear you'd be perfectly fine with Aryans in Space, though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's not remotely feasible in general and is laughable as a reaction to climate change, but lol at goons that get super-mad at space.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Motto posted:

It's not remotely feasible in general and is laughable as a reaction to climate change, but lol at goons that get super-mad at space.

Space is awesome! Galt's Gulch in Space, not so much.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Radbot posted:

Space is awesome! Galt's Gulch in Space, not so much.

It'd be pretty awesome when it inevitably goes south. :v:

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Radbot posted:

I get it, and I will vote against/sabotage this beepboop attempt at "continuing" humanity at any and every possibility.

Thanks for making it clear you'd be perfectly fine with Aryans in Space, though.

You should probably consider therapy or something, chronic depression is nothing to laugh at.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

blowfish posted:

Nah, that's not quite enough to kill you just yet.

Here's an idea: if you have the technology to create a clean recycling infrastructure that will support a biome indefinitely on a space voyage, how about you use it to colonize Earth?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

Here's an idea: if you have the technology to create a clean recycling infrastructure that will support a biome indefinitely on a space voyage, how about you use it to colonize Earth?

Earth sucks. Space is radical.

What I am saying is that there are millions of people who really want to go to space, danger be damned.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And even when they do build it the patchwork nature of it creates access imbalances. The self-apparent awesomeness of it lures all the money back to the cities, pushing the plebs out who now have to commute back to gentrified centers for their lovely service jobs. Problem re-hosed!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

WaryWarren posted:

Greenland is melting away

Some award winning page design from the NYT, if nothing else. :eyepop:

You were not kidding.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Meanwhile, on the East Coast...

quote:

Seemingly overnight, spurred by sea level rise, we’ve entered an era where king tides compete with hurricanes in the water level record books.

Tuesday morning’s high tide peaked at 8.69 feet in Charleston, over a foot and a half higher than the predicted level. The highest crest on record in Charleston was 12.56 feet on Sept. 21, 1989 — the day that Hurricane Hugo made landfall in South Carolina.

The water level near Savannah, Ga., reached 10.43 feet, which was the third highest on record for the station. The top two records are 10.47 feet on Aug. 11, 1940, when a Category 2 hurricane made landfall on the Georgia and South Carolina coast, and 10.87 on Oct. 15, 1947, when Hurricane Nine made landfall in the same location.
Good times.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Yiggy posted:

And even when they do build it the patchwork nature of it creates access imbalances. The self-apparent awesomeness of it lures all the money back to the cities, pushing the plebs out who now have to commute back to gentrified centers for their lovely service jobs. Problem re-hosed!

So what you're saying is that everything is terrible, we're screwed, and should just go out in a single last blast of super hedonism before Mad Maxing ourselves to death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So what you're saying is that everything is terrible, we're screwed, and should just go out in a single last blast of super hedonism before Mad Maxing ourselves to death?

Sounds like you're saying "Climate change is happening, it is caused by human activity, it’s a really bad thing, but there’s very little we can do about it" in different words.

• Locked thread