Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/10/27/marco-rubios-worst-gaffe-picking-tupac-shakur-over-biggie/

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

If they're really focusing on Florida they're going to (have already) crash and burn ala Giuliani. You absolutely cannot allow Trump to take any of the early primary states. How can you not be putting everything you have into keeping him out of Iowa/New Hampshire/South Carolina :psyduck:

I have to assume the Florida thing is not part of some extended strategy à la Giuliani; their primary isn't until March 15, and there are a whole bunch of other primaries before it on March 1 (plus Nevada, between South Carolina and those).

Otherwise, Bush has been focusing on NH and SC, just not with much effectiveness. Bush, erm, Right to Rise, rather, did try a month-long ad blitz in New Hampshire and Bush's polls didn't move at all. Bush/RtR was playing ads in SC as well as NH, though not quite as many. Iowa's a bust because they're going to pick some religious whacko so who cares.

Targeting Rubio also makes sense if you (and you could debate the merits of this) assume that by the time the elections actually start Carson and Trump won't be frontrunners (or if Carson is, it's in Iowa and who cares). In NH, Bush remains in 3rd at 9% (RCP) under Trump and Carson, with Rubio nipping at his heels at 8.3. The leading non-Trump, non-Carson candidate in South Carolina is Rubio, whom Bush has been targeting (Bush is in 6th, with 6.3 to Rubio's 8.3).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They're not wrong.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

"What is your favorite campaign event and why?"

"I saw that a Tennessee cheerleader event is on the calendar. I saw it when I was at a meeting this morning, there was an event featuring these cheerleaders. They look... they look pretty hot. I don't know where this event is, but I'm looking forward to that."

:ughh:

This made me face palm, sigh loudly, shake my head, and roll my eyes.

That's a lot of negative non-verbal cues for you Jeb... very problematic.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

RIP Rubio

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Rubio should have asked how much time Batman got to prepare. :colbert:

William Bear fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 27, 2015

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They're not wrong.

So wrong. Batman always has a plan, even for Marvel Universe crossover characters.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

what the hell is it with those pictures! jesus christ

one "junk food is folksy, guys" would have been enough, not a US tour

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Groups say #RacismIsntFunny, urge NBC to dump Trump as 'SNL' host

quote:

Latino advocacy groups, joined by Hollywood celebrities and others, are calling on NBC to disinvite Trump from his Nov. 7 appearance, citing inflammatory remarks Trump made about Mexican immigrants in the speech announcing his White House run in June.

"We are appalled that you would enable Trump's hateful speech for nothing [more] than a ratings ploy," the National Hispanic Leadership Agenda, a coalition of 40 civil rights and policy organizations, said in a letter to "SNL" executive producer Lorne Michaels and NBCUniversal Chief Executive Stephen Burke.

A social media campaign called #RacismIsntFunny has drawn support from celebrities including John Leguizamo, Margaret Cho and Al Madrigal, and petitions on MoveOn.org and Change.org have gathered 370,000 signatures protesting the Trump appearance.

"There's no question that this issue has struck a nerve in the Latino community and beyond, and there is growing energy and intensity," said Janet Murguía, president of the National Council of La Raza, a Latino advocacy organization.

Best thing to happen to Trump is if they do cancel on him. He should hope they do it.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So wrong. Batman always has a plan, even for Marvel Universe crossover characters.

Batman's power is that he has no powers. He can have anything he wants so long as he puts his name on it, like Trump.

Spider-man can't even drive a Spider-mobile without people giving him poo poo.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So...new polls.

SC via Clemson University (Universities not knoen for polling aren't usually great, but I'm not dismissing it either)

Clinton 43
Sanders 6
O'Malley 1
Undecided 50 (Wtf)

Trump 23
Carson 19
Rubio 9
Cruz 8
Jeb! 7
Fiorina 6
Graham 3
Huckabee/Kasich 2
Christie/Paul/Jindal 1
Undecided 15

Undecideds that high usually means that they hit a lot of people who aren't voting at all.

NC poll from PPP

Clinton 61
Sanders 24
O'Malley 5
Lessig 2(!)

Trump 31
Carson 23
Rubio 11
Jeb!/Cruz/Fiorina 6
Kasich 5
Christie 3
Paul/Santorum 2

NC is a March 15th state like Florida, so it's pretty late. Still interesting. (FL and NC are both Winner Take All on the GOP side)

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Everyone from Huckabee down should really be at the kids table debate, just for the sake of logistics.

None of them have a real chance except I guess Kasich or maybe Christie if sane Republicans need a plan D.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Rand-All-By-Himself pictures his campaign continuously post might be my favorite part of this primary.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

He's going to degenerate to the point where he's tweeting while making GBS threads isn't he?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Montasque posted:

Groups say #RacismIsntFunny, urge NBC to dump Trump as 'SNL' host

Best thing to happen to Trump is if they do cancel on him. He should hope they do it.

One of the lasting effects of the Trump candidacy will be the promotion of anti-Hispanic sentiments. Letting him host SNL absolutely helps legitimize those views and bring them into the mainstream. If his invitation is rescinded he'll whine about it and his supporters would nod along to the tears of 'media bias,' but that's hardly relevant.

fake edit: Lessig at 2% good god nobody let that man near a debate stage please

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

quote:

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee says it’s questionable that suicides are counted in the total number of gun deaths, arguing that those who commit suicide will kill themselves whether a gun is present or not.

Citing a recent Pew Study that found that the gun suicide rate had risen in recent years, Huckabee, on his daily podcast The Huckabee Exclusive, said “many question why liberals even count suicides in gun death figures, since anyone bent on suicide will do it whether there is a gun handy or not.”

“Besides liberals are the ones who keep pushing for everyone to have a right to die,” Huckabee said. “In fact, just this month, California Governor Jerry Brown, signed a Right-to-Die bill to let doctors prescribe lethal drugs to terminally ill patients. But a week later he vetoed the Right-to-Try bill that would have allowed terminally ill patients to petition drug companies to let them try experimental treatments, not yet approved by the government. At that point they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. They are willing to take the risk, and it might even help researchers learn what works and and even benefit millions of people. And isn’t their life to do it as they please?

“Well not really, the left believes in a right-to-die just not a right to live,” he added. “You can take drugs that kill you, as long as they are approved by the government and will definitely kill you, and not non-FDA approved drugs that might save you. It’s very similar to their pro-choice, whether you are deciding to end or extend your own life, or to terminate, or to go through the pregnancy, you have the right to make any personal choice you want, as long as it’s the one that liberals agree with”

Huckabee then noted California led the nation in gun deaths, despite having strict gun laws. Adjusted for population the state actually has one of the lowest rates of firearm deaths nationwide, according to the CDC.

“Speaking of California and that new Pew report on gun violence, it also found that California, which leads the nation in gun control laws, also leads the nation in gun murders,” said Huckabee.

“California alone accounts for nearly 15% of gun murders in the U.S, I guess you really do have a right to die in California. So the next time you hear that gun violence if way up and only gun control can stem it, just remember, according to cold, hard, FBI data, gun violence is actually way down, even as gun ownership has risen. The state where it is still the worst, is the one state where the laws make it most difficult for potential victims to arm themselves.”

Check mate liberals. :smug:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Three Olives posted:

I...just...what? What the gently caress is he even going for? "Well, suiciders gonna suicide with or without a gun, libs, so might as well make it easier for them to go out with a BANG!"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thump! posted:

:raise:

Which textbook would one find these Slavic mind tricks in?

I think he got Slavs and Jews mixed up again. It happens, they're right next to each other on the alignment chart.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

huckabee is a fat loving soulless shell of a man whose spawn torture dogs to death

he's also desperate for anything about him to "catch on" in the media and propel him above the margin of error in polls.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I am firmly in the "Pushing for everyone to have a right to die, specifically Mike Huckabee" camp

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Lessmentum!

...wait, that doesn't....you know what? It fits.

Three Olives posted:

Well, a gun is certainly a more convenient method than dressing up as a dog and scratching at Huckabee's door.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Three Olives posted:

Unsurprisingly he is entirely wrong, but there is some interesting stuff about it. In the US women attempt suicide more often, and succeed less often, in China, the opposite is the case, and it has everything to do with method.

In the US women use pills and slit wrists, and it doesn't work for poo poo. Men use guns and cars, and they work awesome. In China, women tend to suicide by jumping off things and drinking industrial/agricultural poisons, both of which are pretty reliable, whereas men tend to try to hang themselves, which in a country of low ceilings and limited privacy, is much less successful.

So, yeah, if there were fewer guns, there would be fewer successful suicides.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alter Ego posted:

I...just...what? What the gently caress is he even going for? "Well, suiciders gonna suicide with or without a gun, libs, so might as well make it easier for them to go out with a BANG!"

It's also factually untrue, owning a gun increases the odds of you commuting suicide at all dramatically.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

:eyepop:

and

OAquinas posted:

Well, a gun is certainly a more convenient method than dressing up as a dog and scratching at Huckabee's door.

:laffo:

Can you imagine that the biggest state by astronomical numbers has a high percentage of... anything when compared nationally?
How does that happen? loving math, why are you so hard?

Pohl fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 27, 2015

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Skwirl posted:

It's also factually untrue, owning a gun increases the odds of you commuting suicide at all dramatically.

... and to add to the pile-on, the research on "method substitution" in suicide has tended to find that if a potential suicide's preferred method is not available, he/she is significantly less likely to follow through than to continue.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Carly is available for paid speeches, something that actual Presidential campaigns don't do.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Breitbart is going conspiracy theory on Google

quote:

WIKIPEDIA TROLLS TIE BEN CARSON TO PEDOPHILES AT TOP OF GOOGLE SEARCH RESULTS

Republican presidential contender Dr. Ben Carson’s Google search results have been manipulated to prominently link his name to the “North American Man-Boy Love Association” (NAMBLA), a pedophile advocacy group.

The top search result for Ben Carson on Google is his Wikipedia page, after sponsored links and news. The NAMBLA Wikipedia page is featured as the first related link on Carson’s Wikipedia blurb, just below his name.

Carson referred to NAMBLA in a March 2013 Hannity appearance.

“Marriage is between a man and a woman. No group, be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality, it doesn’t matter what they are. They don’t get to change the definition,” Carson said.

A Politico article quoting Carson is linked on his Wikipedia page, as Footnote #105 in the section on Carson’s views regarding “Marriage and homosexuality.”

Carson later apologized for his remarks on Hannity. But NAMBLA still shows up as a “High Relevance Link” for Carson’s page due to the quote’s placement in the text.

Carson campaign communications director Doug Watts told Breitbart News that it “Looks like the trolls are out in force,” and vowed that the campaign was looking into the matter further.

“We’ve complained to Google and filled out requests to take it down that have been ignored,” Watts said, blaming “pranksters” for the stunt.

Manipulating Google search results is a common tactic used by left-wingers to smear conservatives like Sen. Rick Santorum, who gained a “Google problem” after activists led by homosexual columnist Dan Savage linked Santorum’s name to a repulsive sexual byproduct.

The full Google page typically puts sponsored links and recent news. But it puts Wikipedia as the first entry for many individuals, including Carson.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 27, 2015

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/politics/john-kasich-republicans-debate/index.html

posted:

Westerville, Ohio (CNN)John Kasich lit into his Republican presidential opponents Tuesday, portraying a new side of a candidate who until recently has been unwilling to directly criticize others in the race.

"Do you know how crazy this election is?" the Ohio governor said, listing what he called "ridiculous" and "hysterical" policies from other candidates. "I've about had it with these people."

Kasich didn't call out any opponent by name, but he made it clear who he was targeting. He said a plan to "abolish" Medicaid and Medicare is "crazy" -- a reference to Ben Carson's suggested alternative Ben Carson of a health savings account, though Carson has not called for the elimination of the popular entitlement programs.

"Why don't we get a reality check on what the heck needs to be done in this country? Yeah, we can save Social Security, we shouldn't get rid of it, we can save Medicare and Medicaid," Kasich said.

Kasich has faced criticism himself for what Democrats say is a dismissive tone toward those concerned about entitlement reform. Speaking to about 200 people gathered in a barn here on Tuesday, he didn't back down, saying reform will inevitably make some unhappy.

"We have to pay no attention to the people who we hear whining about don't touch my program, we don't care about that. You know why? Because you come first and they come dead last. People that get in the way of progress come dead last in my career and in my life," Kasich said. "The people we're gonna lift are the people who go to work every day and play by the rules."

Referencing Donald Trump's comments on deporting all undocumented immigrants in the country, Kasich said, "We're going to pick them up, we're going to take them to the border and scream at them to get out of our country? That's just crazy."

Kasich also brought up Trump's comments on Ford, saying he is taking undue credit for the company moving jobs back to America from Mexico.

"That was like something out of a 'Back to the Future' movie. We made that agreement in 2011 for the simple reason that we knew what we were doing in Ohio. We know how to balance budgets and grow jobs, and do workforce training," Kasich said.

Kasich also took a stronger tone on Jeb Bush than he ever has before -- again, not by name -- calling him out for his fondness of a nickname he gained while governor of Florida.

"One of the candidates said he's known as Veto Corleone. He's so proud of the fact that he vetoes everything, you what vetoes are? Vetoes are a sign you can't get what you want," Kasich said.

Chris Schrimpf, a spokesman for Kasich, acknowledged to CNN that the confrontational tone signaled a shift in strategy ahead of Wednesday's Republican debate. In a CBS/New York Times poll released Tuesday, Kasich drew only 4% among Republican primary voters.

"What has happened to our party? What has happened to the conservative movement?" Kasich asked. He added that he is "sick and tired of listening to this nonsense."

"If we turn this country over to somebody with wild ideas who thinks they can scream and bluster or operate their way to success, it's my kids that are going to be at risk, and your kids, and your grandchildren," Kasich told the audience.

"I'm going to have call it like it is as long as I'm in this race," Kasich said. "I'm done with being polite and listening to this nonsense, and it's time we educate the American people about the consequences of very bad choices."

Why did we enfranchise lunatic fundamentalists and give them leadership and control over our party?

e:
And lol at TRUMP re-educating conservative voters about the second Iraq war and post-9/11 fallout.

Bethamphetamine fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 27, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hey kids, have you heard of this hip new "email" thing? Jeb! has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNk9j7pmNSk

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Do It Once Right posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/politics/john-kasich-republicans-debate/index.html

Why did we enfranchise lunatic fundamentalists and give them leadership and control over our party?

e:
And lol at TRUMP re-educating conservative voters about the second Iraq war and post-9/11 fallout.

Kasich 2016: Sensible Outrage!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Pohl posted:

This is random, but you can just go crash those things if you take some beer and share.
It doesn't matter what color you are, and good lord you will have fun.

Edit: Then those Latinos will be your best friends forever and you will never have to worry about anything, ever.

Honestly, 99% of what is hosed up about America is not realizing this.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Do It Once Right posted:

Why did we enfranchise lunatic fundamentalists and give them leadership and control over our party

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I just realized the debate is at the same time as World Series game 2, goddammit.

• Locked thread