Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

I'd like to know what party John Kasich thinks he's a member of...

I feel bad for him because his the most competent in their deck and he is practically ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha showing here his mastery of international sovereign debt, Carson vows never to raise debt ceiling as President.

Also, I had no idea Rubio and Cruz were the same age.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Haha showing here his mastery of international sovereign debt, Carson vows never to raise debt ceiling as President.

We need to have "Sovereign debt is not real debt!" tattooed onto every square inch of every American's body.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

They still did the same thing even when Dems controlled the senate.

It takes both branches of Congress to pass a bill and the executive + the senate or the executive + house doesn't mean anymore than just the President. You need all three to really make things work, and even then you may just need a super majority in the Senate.

You want proper economic planning? Then you need 60 senators, >~220 congressman, and the president. Until then, you get a little of what you want (domestic spending cap lifts, no government uncertainty in a critical time period) and a little of what you don't want. That's how the system works.
'

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Cruz seriously looks like he is in hid mid 50s. I cannot explain how old he looks.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

zoux posted:

I'm actually kind of happy to see that even crazy people who have no idea what they're talking about realize that this process is insane, at least. It's nuts that twice within the last five years we've been talking about financial armageddon not because of any kind of actual crisis, but because there's a big button with an "END THE WORLD" label and some people think that threatening to push it is a legitimate negotiation tactic.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

I'm never going to get tired of reposting Carson's Marketplace interview.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The best part is going to be watching Trump and Carson promise more and more impossible things to one-up each other to the dwindling base.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

The best part is going to be watching Trump and Carson promise more and more impossible things to one-up each other to the dwindling base.

"I will go build a time machine. Not to go back and to kill Hitler, but to bring him here so he can tell us what things we are doing that are things he would do, or likes."

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Boon posted:

You want proper economic planning? Then you need 60 senators, >~220 congressman, and the president. Until then, you get a little of what you want (domestic spending cap lifts, no government uncertainty in a critical time period) and a little of what you don't want. That's how the system works.

Yeah, we get it, and it's this "system" that will cause America to (rightly) fall. You need to have 80% of the country on your side (due to gerrymandering) to do literally anything? That's a bad system of government.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh98oCgUxEo

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
These will air during the Republican debate tomorrow night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l_hgD9QbFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y2sq8iDl8g

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Crowsbeak posted:

Cruz seriously looks like he is in hid mid 50s. I cannot explain how old he looks.

Wet farts age slightly faster than normal humans.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
CISA passed apparently. Urgh.

https://twitter.com/EFFLive

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Both those ads suck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Both those ads suck.

No poo poo, she doesn't shoot a single piece of legislation she disagrees with.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

These should keep the SNL writers busy for a week or so.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Didn't the hunger strike in Gitmo develop because the camp changed commanders and the new one was some gung-ho piece of poo poo that every inmate hates?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

I'm actually kind of happy to see that even crazy people who have no idea what they're talking about realize that this process is insane, at least. It's nuts that twice within the last five years we've been talking about financial armageddon not because of any kind of actual crisis, but because there's a big button with an "END THE WORLD" label and some people think that threatening to push it is a legitimate negotiation tactic.

And now Carson is promising to push it for shits and giggles.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

CISA passed the Senate. Wonder if they'll be able to muster enough votes for a unified bill. Come on HFC, do something good for once...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Artificer posted:

CISA passed apparently. Urgh.

https://twitter.com/EFFLive

That seemed inevitable , like after the SOPA and CISPA(is this a different one?) thing from like 7 years ago seemed like that outcry got tired.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Haha, this is the angriest I've ever seen Rand Paul get. This is in response to a Buzzfeed reporter who apparently has a history of criticizing Rand Paul for using fake founding father quotes:

quote:

"That guy," Paul said dismissively, referring to Kaczynski. "The only criticisms have come from some guy who’s a partisan. We discount partisans. However, there’s a ridiculous cottage industry out there of people who think they’re smarter than everyone else, and because certain quotes are disputed – well, yeah! If you want to say something’s not a Thomas Jefferson quote, you can get a whole book on whether it’s a quote or not."

"I mean, this idiot says the same thing about my speeches," Paul said. "Do I need to say in my speech, 'as many people attribute to Thomas Jefferson, but some people dispute,' before I give the quote? It’s idiocy, it’s pedantry – it’s ridiculous stuff from partisan hacks. And I’d say that guy’s one of ‘em."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...311445980749619

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PhazonLink posted:

That seemed inevitable , like after the SOPA and CISPA(is this a different one?) thing from like 7 years ago seemed like that outcry got tired.

Outcry getting tired over repeated introductions of a bill is the shittiest, though probably inevitable, thing. :(

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crowsbeak posted:

I feel bad for him because his the most competent in their deck and he is practically ignored.

Him or maybe Pataki.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Mr Interweb posted:

Haha, this is the angriest I've ever seen Rand Paul get. This is in response to a Buzzfeed reporter who apparently has a history of criticizing Rand Paul for using fake founding father quotes:

Rand Paul opens up a book with footnotes. "What is all this bullshit pedantry?"

It's also funny that he's treating Thomas Jefferson quotes like the teachings of Jesus that scholars argue about. It's not like he wrote stuff down or anything.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Apparently Paul is going to filibuster the budget deal.

There are 60 votes in the Senate, right? I feel like there have to be 60 votes in the Senate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bob Ojeda posted:

There are 60 votes in the Senate, right? I feel like there have to be 60 votes in the Senate.

Surprised he beat Cruz to this idea. Ted's got to be furious.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

zoux posted:

"I will go build a time machine. Not to go back and to kill Hitler, but to bring him here so he can tell us what things we are doing that are things he would do, or likes."

Nah, maybe not Hitler. John Wayne or Ronald Reagan.

Mr Interweb posted:

In which Rand Paul fails my freshman HIST 200 course for failure to source his quotes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bob Ojeda posted:

Yeah, the Senate has a lot more of the 'sane' Republicans since they don't come from gerrymandered districts and McConnell is on board. Paul's just going to showboat pointlessly.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

evilweasel posted:

Paul's just going to showboat pointlessly.

Pretty much sums up the political accomplishments of the Paul family.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Internet Webguy posted:

Rand Paul opens up a book with footnotes. "What is all this bullshit pedantry?"

It's also funny that he's treating Thomas Jefferson quotes like the teachings of Jesus that scholars argue about. It's not like he wrote stuff down or anything.

The hilarious thing is that of all the Founding Fathers conservatives could have chosen to co-opt as Christian fundamentalists, they choose the guy who was arguably the most anit-Christian of the lot. I mean, the guy made his own edited version of the Bible that got rid of all the supernatural poo poo!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Interweb posted:

a Buzzfeed reporter who apparently has a history of criticizing Rand Paul for using fake founding father quotes

BuzzFeed Andy makes a sport of doing this with a bunch of candidates. Jody Hice. Mike Huckabee. He also runs their books through TurnMeIn to find all the sections they plagiarized.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

He also runs their books through TurnMeIn to find all the sections they plagiarized.

God bless him.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The best way to fight a wage gap is to make all salaries public record.

Neither of those videos have any substance except "bad thing bad" which is annoying, though better than Republicans who think those bad things are either fine or good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stereotype posted:

The best way to fight a wage gap is to make all salaries public record.

Neither of those videos have any substance except "bad thing bad" which is annoying, though better than Republicans who think those bad things are either fine or good.

They're great because Hillary narrated them so Republicans are going to hear her voice unprepared for it and go into apoplexy.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

zoux posted:

They're great because Hillary narrated them so Republicans are going to hear her voice unprepared for it and go into apoplexy.

Here's hoping they get worked up and it gets brought up on stage and they say something delightfully self destructive

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PhazonLink posted:

Those were copyright bills, this is different. This is the one that requires companies to share personal information with the government so they can find terroristshackers and stop them. The multiple amendments that would provide penalties if either side abused/lost the personal information were defeated. It should be noted, companies are already allowed to share personal information with the government, and in fact are required to when given a warrant! So you can guess what part of that equation this bill changes.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/ap-gfk-poll-shutdown-default 56% of respondents say it would be worth shutting down govt to get spending cuts

Gda

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
There's a guy testing his mental health patient costume on UIW campus in San Antonio right now. Campus is on lockdown apparently.

I guess this is just going to be a weekly thing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

TheQat posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/ap-gfk-poll-shutdown-default 56% of respondents say it would be worth shutting down govt to get spending cuts

Gda

Most people think that the federal budget is like it is in the movie Dave, where the vast majority is just wasteful spending, and you just need some common sense guy to come in and fix it.

• Locked thread