Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
On a completely unrelated note:

Wooooooo! Another visiting team beat the home team! It's not just my team that lost to the visitors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Welp.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Jesus christ :gonk:

That hammer definitely isn't much good for penetrating helmets on downed fighters, but it's certainly good for putting people on the ground. Wonder if it'll take more skill or just a heavier hammer to bridge that gap.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
My fighter Dusseldwarf sure is chatty - he speaks more than everyone else combined! Is it just random or is it linked to actions/proximity?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Well that was over quickly.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Well, I didn't lose any limbs this time, but I did spend the whole fight getting stabbed and utterly failing to charge at people. I'll take that as improvement!

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Jesus christ :gonk:

That hammer definitely isn't much good for penetrating helmets on downed fighters, but it's certainly good for putting people on the ground. Wonder if it'll take more skill or just a heavier hammer to bridge that gap.

If there was some way to have your fighter favor limb shots vs head shots, your Elf could be unstoppable. He barely missed anything in the last two rounds, but he wasted a bunch of swings against helms and big skulls, which results in bruising.

It's a strength problem. If you have enough strength for a platinum hammer, you'd probably be crushing skulls with your silver hammer. Your best bet might be something unusual like Steel + Skill. Lighter but more rigid? This might be a My Dad question.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The Gorch is not doing well this tournament. Should have gone for dual chains instead of the shield.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Tunicate posted:

I thought last time it was 75%. Is there a full changelog?

Mail shirt protection was 75% last time, but I felt that might be just a bit too low, and increased it to 80%. The reason for this was partly to gimp biting snakemen (which we haven't really seen much of in this tournament anyway), and also to make body armor a more viable choice for defense vs. just going with more weapon skill and parrying.

I'll put the full changelog (compared to vanilla DF) into the first post of the thread, but the only rawfile changes from the previous tournament are:

- Body mail increased to 80% coverage from 75%
- Dagger stabbing contact area doubled to reduce depth of dagger stabs
EDIT: and also one more:
- Maces and flails now use Hammer skill.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 27, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ow.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jazzimus Prime posted:

- Dagger stabbing contact area doubled to reduce depth of dagger stabs

Well gently caress.

I'm wielding 4 drat daggers.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Slight correction, it's not QUITE doubled, it was increased from 8 to 15. They should still be plenty deadly but no longer able to punch through adamantine armor.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I suggest wielding 4 crossbow bolts with a contact area of 4.

How does one indicate one's weapons are bolts or arrows, anyway?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

jon joe posted:

I suggest wielding 4 crossbow bolts with a contact area of 4.

How does one indicate one's weapons are bolts or arrows, anyway?

Crossbows and bows come with a set of 40 bolts and 40 arrows respectively. There isn't an option to purchase bolts or arrows by themselves.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Crossbows and bows come with a set of 40 bolts and 40 arrows respectively. There isn't an option to purchase bolts or arrows by themselves.

Right, but I seem to recall that people in previous tournaments wielding bolts or arrows as melee weapons. Is there some trick to doing that?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They were given a single one to carry. It was a gimmick option.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

jon joe posted:

Right, but I seem to recall that people in previous tournaments wielding bolts or arrows as melee weapons. Is there some trick to doing that?

In the first couple of tournaments some fighters did that. Vox Nihili was running all of the fights at that time and would allow gimmick requests, where a fighter would purchase a bow and arrows but only use one arrow during the fight, and Vox would manually set up the fight that way.

Right now a whole lot of the arena setup is automated, and I'd probably lose some commissioners if I asked them to do all of that extra work manually instead of using the arena macros :ohdear:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Slight correction, it's not QUITE doubled, it was increased from 8 to 15. They should still be plenty deadly but no longer able to punch through adamantine armor.

My plan :negative:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Jk i had no plan.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You should still come out ahead with superior skill, Spermy. 4 daggers is a lot and it's not like they aren't good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had ONE dagger and pumped my skills and look where that got me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

For some reason Strangler Than Fiction is only targeting the legs.

... this is Dwarf Fortress, I have to ask. Did Toady model how short combatants have limited reach?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Right now a whole lot of the arena setup is automated, and I'd probably lose some commissioners if I asked them to do all of that extra work manually instead of using the arena macros :ohdear:

The primary thing I'm concerned about would be DF coding coming to a fore. I seem to recall that at least with this specific gimmick was that it (used to?) not just stab with one arrow. Each arrow stabbed like it was alone... as did the other 39.

Even if that's fixed or I'm misremembering, that's sort of a reason not to do such gimmicks. It's either not good, or else it does something insane and I don't want the game to devolve into really bizarre semi-buggy builds.

Tunicate posted:

For some reason Strangler Than Fiction is only targeting the legs.

... this is Dwarf Fortress, I have to ask. Did Toady model how short combatants have limited reach?

...Proooobably not?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

The primary thing I'm concerned about would be DF coding coming to a fore. I seem to recall that at least with this specific gimmick was that it (used to?) not just stab with one arrow. Each arrow stabbed like it was alone... as did the other 39.

Even if that's fixed or I'm misremembering, that's sort of a reason not to do such gimmicks. It's either not good, or else it does something insane and I don't want the game to devolve into really bizarre semi-buggy builds.

I think that particular bug was actually fixed before the arena was even a thing in Dwarf Fortress. The only actual problem with that gimmick build is the fact the person running the fight always has to remember to remove the bow/crossbow before every fight that gimmick build is in. And if they forget, then the gimmick build is screwed, because they probably didn't put any points in bows or crossbows.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I've updated the third post on the first page of the thread to include all fight results to this point, as well as a link to each fight's associated post and combat log. :black101:

The fourth post on the first page will be reserved for any and all fanart, although the piece that Hihohe is currently working on will go at the very top of the first post once it's ready. Any artists in the thread want to have their fanart on the first page? Post it, and I'll make it happen!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Suggestion: Include killcounts and previous feats of contestants in pre-battle descriptions for additional flavour.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 2, Fight 4:siren:

Sorry for the non-effort post. Got some poo poo going on, so didn't take as many screenshots as usual.

Lineup for Team Laser Explosion (Home Team)
Anthony is a male Tigerman fighter managed by dasmause. Iron armor and no weapon.
Mogwai is a female Gremlin fighter managed by Dark Off. Copper dagger, iron buckler.
Molegrim is a male Molemarian fighter managed by Maugrim. Copper spear, helmet, leather something.
Turquoise Tonic is a male Human fighter managed by Hihohe. Silver mace, iron shirt, leather something.

Lineup for The Plump Helmets
Dory is a female Minotaur fighter managed by my dad. Copper spear, bronze armor.
James LargeSausage is a male Human fighter managed by Afriscipio. Iron halberd, some iron armor, and a cap.
Josie the Bludgeonatrix is a female Elf fighter managed by Ramc. Copper mace, wood shield.
Return of Panty Thief is a male Yeti fighter managed by Mr. Vile. Bronze armor in entirety.

Lineup.

The gladiators come together with a bang. Anthony punches Dory in the neck and arm, but barely causes a bruise. Dory responds by stabbing him in the upper arm and then the paw. Anthony falls to the floor! Not a good start for the home team.
Panty Thief grabs Molegrim, but Molegrim uses that to his advantage and stabs the huge yeti which fractures his upper leg through the mail shirt. Down goes Panty Thief! Things are looking pretty even now!

Spermy's Note: I tried for like 2 minutes to get a screenshot of the moleman because I knew something was happening. I couldn't select him to view no matter what I did. I believe it was because he was being grasped or thrown or something. I don't know, but this is the first screenshot I was able to get of him and its a bit late...
From what I gather from the logs: Panty Thief grabs Molegrim which earns him a second stab to the lung. Panty Thief then throws the moleman from the ground, and then people take pot-shots at the airborn moleman. Josie smashes his guts which causes violent vomiting. Molegrim slams into the ground, then skids for a few yards before being stopped by Turquoise Tonic. The human, Turquoise, doesn't take this very well and is stunned and knocked backwards where he slams into the floor with quite a bit of force. Josie the Bludgeonatrix takes the opportunity to pulp Turquoises' arm, and Turquoise passes out from the pain.

Panty Thief gives in to pain when the puking Molegrim stabs him again and again. Anthony is double-teamed by James LargeSausage and Dory; he is stabbed and sliced by halberd and spear until he passes out. Mogwai circles these gladiators the entire time and lands a devastating blow to James LargeSausage's foot and the human falls to the floor.

Anthony and the prone Molegrim are quickly dispatched. James LargeSausage takes one kill while Dory cleaves the molemans heart in twain. Okay, that's not exactly how it happened.
Molegrim is busy biting the unconscious yeti, Panty Thief. Dory thinks to himself "Self, I haven't eaten a moleman in a while." and then Dory bites the poo poo out of Molegrim. gently caress the spear in his hands, teeth are where it's at. Dory shakes and shakes and stabs and stabs, and finally the moleman passes out from exhaustion. He is then struck through the heart.

Josie has been hammering away at the unconscious Turquoise and finally decides to smash his head in.

Yeah... so Mogwai is the lone survivor for the home team. James LargeSausage has been 'keeping him occupied' by being slashed over and over and getting enraged while he waits for the calvary.

Dory arrives like an avalanche, sending the small gremlin rolling across the floor. Mogwai desperately wants a kill for his team, so he... kisses... James LargeSausage.
Mogwai _LASER bites James LargeSausage_PLUMP in the upper lip and the injured part is torn apart!
During the makeout session, Josie the Bludgeonatrix sneaks up behind the small gremlin and smashes his face to paste.

Winners: The Plump Helmets
Kills:
Dory: 2
Josie: 1
James: 1

Combat Log

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dang. Who wouldve expected them weaponizing your own team. I didnt think they could chuck your own team members at you. RIP TT

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Wow. That was unexpected. We predicted a very different result, and certainly not a 4-nil victory!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

:boom:

Oh I'm sorry, were we supposed to LOSE as the visiting team?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Panty Thief then throws the moleman from the ground, and then people take pot-shots at the airborn moleman. Josie smashes his guts which causes violent vomiting. Molegrim slams into the ground, then skids for a few yards before being stopped by Turquoise Tonic. The human, Turquoise, doesn't take this very well and is stunned and knocked backwards where he slams into the floor with quite a bit of force. Josie the Bludgeonatrix takes the opportunity to pulp Turquoises' arm, and Turquoise passes out from the pain.

DUAL TECH UNLOCKED

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Ramc posted:

DUAL TECH UNLOCKED

Is it time for the "get dunked on" emote?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round Two, Fight Five :siren:

Left, we have our home team, The Petting Zoo!
Antwoman (Spermy Smurf) is a troll soldier antwoman with daggers of various metals in every hand.
A Lost Cowman (Locomotive Breath) is a minotaur with a weird assortment of armor and his martial arts for damage.
Simon Belmole (Ablative) is a molemarian with a copper scourge.
Stephen Harper (ChickenWing) is a serpent with hammer and shield.

Right, their challenging visitors, Spooky Scary Skeletons!
Tash Al'rhyn (tithin) is a werewolf with hammer, shield, and armor.
Three Gremlins in a Blender (AJ_Impy) is a strangler with pick, shield and piecemeal armor.
Bad Munki (Coward) is a kobold with a bow. His crowning distinction is a leather cap. It's certainly decorative only.
Candy Corn Tiger (Klokwurk) is a shield-and-halberd tigerman.

We open with Munki's quickdraw shot. The arrow hits Cowman in the shin, and the minotaur's leg gives out. A shattered bone does that.

He barely lets that slow him, though. Blender draws first melee blood, with a pick strike to Simon's arm. It isn't all in the away team's favor, though. Simon, the insensate mole, smashes Tash's paw. Antwoman's strategy seems to be working, too, as she deflects two attacks, then stabs Blender's arm.

Then, suddenly, Candy Corn, Blender and Simon collapse in a pile so quickly it was hard to pick apart the order. Finally, Stephen makes his first move, a hammer blow to Blender's neck that is the first hit of the fight that's not specifically to the left side of the target.

The melee is heavily intermixed. There are no battle lines. Cowman performs the classic sort of insane Dwarf Fortress wrestling maneuvers all over Blender, who's rapidly becoming a punching bag.

Severed limb alert! Candy Corn's halberd removes one of Antwoman's extraneous arms. She removes a leg in retaliation. Munki is not to be forgotten, either. His second shot lodges in the ant's head.

Meanwhile, Blender has tried to fend off Cowman with his pick, with startlingly successful results, as his pick to the minotaur's leg causes Cowman to pass out. Of course, then Stephen hits Blender with a hammer, paralyzing him. From the ground, the pathetic little creature bites Cowman's head, but his teeth encounter only silver helmet. This enrages the strangler beyond reason or sanity.

Candy Corn lays about further with his halberd, nearly severing Simon's weapon hand. The scourge falls to the floor. The fight is still technically anyone's game, but so far the visitors are probably doing better. Antwoman isn't having any of that, though. The plucky fencer puts a dagger into Candy Corn's lung. The left one, naturally.

Somehow, Blender is still in the game. He latches onto Cowman's head on his next attempt. Antwoman slips the deadly dagger into Candy Corn's internal organs, but doesn't see Tash winding up. The werewolf's home run swing overwhelms the poor ant's ability to withstand pain.

The melee is no less intermixed than before, and still no one has, technically, died. Stephen injects Blender with paralytic venom, with Simon attempting a me-too bite with almost as good of results, as the mole's worrying shreds the poor strangler's body.

Oh, Antwoman's hand just landed! Anyway, Simon's and Stephen's bite-off continues, each striving to do more telling damage to the strangler. As they do that, Tash's hammer of inevitability comes around again, and Antwoman is the first actual casualty.

A third shot from Munki. It flies and strikes Stephen in the hand. Finally, mercifully, Blender bleeds to death as the second casualty. Game calls the kill for Simon. Let's hear it for our biting champion!

Or is he? Stephen declares a rematch, and bites Candy Corn to signal round two. Simon is game. Both of them latch onto the big guy's head and start shaking it around. Rudely, Tash tries to interrupt the proceedings. It's like the visiting team has no manners at all. As if to emphasize this, some rude kobold named Munki puts a quarrel in Simon. Of course, the home team bites Tash for interrupting.

So, status check: Simon and Stephen are reduced to biting their foes, while Cowman is currently making a pretty good impression of a dead person because he's a wuss. Tash and Candy Corn are both pretty close to dead, passed out and fighting off snakeman venom and largely just hoping their assailants happen to die before they do. Bad Munki is the only uninjured combatant, standing off to one side and still occasionally putting an arrow in someone.

This is going to be a long one, folks. Eventually, repeated leg shots make Simon fall over. Finally, eventually, Cowman wakes up a bit, and the minotaur strangles Tash to death. Cheater. It's a Bite Fite (tm). Cowman also gores Candy Corn, and the tiger bleeds out.

So. There's three members of The Petting Zoo left alive. None of them have a weapon or are able to stand. Only Bad Munki and the unfathomable distance of half an arena is between them and victory. On the other side, Bad Munki needs to be able to finish off three opponents, or at least stay alive long enough for them to bleed to death, using nothing but a handful of arrows and some dodging. He should have a few chances to shoot as they get close, and all three are seriously hurt to the point that bleeding out is a possibility.

Who will actually win this?

Shot one. Munki hits Stephen in the arm, shattering the bone. There is no chance for shot two. Cowman is swifter than I expected, and kicks the bow, then as the kobold struggles to his feet, grabs the kobold by the throat and lifts him off the ground. The kobold passes out, but he's already drawn back his bow. A zero-distance shot is aimed at Cowman's head. Unfortunately, it misses the eye, and merely chips the minotaur's horn. Cowman puts pressure on his viselike grip, and The Petting Zoo wins.

Final Score
The Petting Zoo: 4
Spooky Scary Skeletons: 1

Kills
A Lost Cowman: 3
Simon Belmole: 1
Tash Al'rhyn: 1

Gotta confess, I never would have come up with the strategy of "have one guy pass out early in the fight, then wake up to save the day" myself.

Combat Log

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Afriscipio posted:

Is it time for the "get dunked on" emote?

Jesus the description of the yeti toss is even more metal in the combat log. People are skidding apart.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Holy poo poo I did not expect the second point in biting to be so useful :stonk:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^^ poo poo yeah, that saved our butts.

Wooo, we won! That archer changes fights completely, holy poo poo.

And it being 4v3 in the melee, and still barely scraping out a victory is insane.

At least my Antwoman got to shank two different fighters! :ese:

Wait, where's the stabbing smiley?

VVV Thanks!

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 28, 2015

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

^^^ poo poo yeah, that saved our butts.

Wooo, we won! That archer changes fights completely, holy poo poo.

And it being 4v3 in the melee, and still barely scraping out a victory is insane.

At least my Antwoman got to shank two different fighters! :stab:

Wait, where's the stabbing smiley?

This one? :ese:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I personally enjoyed how everyone's necks were broken early and most of the match was Simon and I gnawing on peoples' heads

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Well, that small bet on The Petting Zoo paid off nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Full disclosure: Simon doesn't even have points in biting. I don't know what the gently caress that was, but it was amazing.