Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Someone who travels light and doesn't want to play checked bag roulette with lovely airlines. I personally refuse to check a bag unless I absolutely have to or I'm on a direct flight.

I've given up this, because these days everyone is fighting to stuff these massive suitcases into the overhead bin. I just fly JetBlue, which handles the loading/deplaning in an orderly manner, and I rarely have to wait long for my bag.

Plus, I have to fly with my CPAP bag, and people get pissed when you bring three things on (suitcase, laptop/work bag, and CPAP).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Someone who travels light and doesn't want to play checked bag roulette with lovely airlines. I personally refuse to check a bag unless I absolutely have to or I'm on a direct flight.

I never understood this line of thinking. I probably take around 200 flights a year and always have to check a bag due to carrying tools with me. I've had maybe one delayed bag in five or six years of doing this and even then it arrived the next morning and they brought it right to my hotel.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

I never understood this line of thinking. I probably take around 200 flights a year and always have to check a bag due to carrying tools with me. I've had maybe one delayed bag in five or six years of doing this and even then it arrived the next morning and they brought it right to my hotel.

It's not delayed bags, it's waiting for them after landing. Even if they come through promptly it's usually after a bit of a wait.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

therattle posted:

It's not delayed bags, it's waiting for them after landing. Even if they come through promptly it's usually after a bit of a wait.

Yeah, I never check in a bag if I can avoid it. It's always preferable to be able to just walk straight off the plane and not have to wait an extra five to fifteen minutes for my bags Before leaving the airport. If I traveled more than a few times a year by plane I'd likely make it even more of a proiority.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Do US airlines typically charge for checked bags on domestic routes? I don't even own a suitcase any more.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Every airline has a different policy

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My dad once took a 10" iron nail on a flight in his coat pocket but always gets his toothpaste confiscated.

I've never bothered with just carry on because majority of my flights have been 12 hour ordeals that end with me on a plane that seats 14 people for the last leg of the trip.

E: though my purse is generally 90% cookies on those trips

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 27, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Oh lord, the slight wait is way way preferable to having to lug a roller case around after security. Plus it gives me time to answer the dozens of work emails I usually have when I land.

I also only ever fly for work, so I get reimbursed for baggage fees. I actually hate flying and would almost never get on a plane without being paid to do so. I'm actually out right now, third city in three days with one more to go. My huge rear end tool box is going on a truck tonight though, so I can sleep in 15 more minutes tomorrow before my 5am flight.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bunnielab posted:

Yeah but it sucks when you are on your honeymoon and your luggage doesn't show up for another 24h after you arrive and have only the clothes you are wearing for your 1st day in the opposite hemisphere.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
If you're on your honeymoon, you shouldn't need clothes for the first 24 hours. :colbert:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol just ship it home.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Force de Fappe posted:

Where does a jelly begin? Somewhere after unctuous I'd wager.

I once was denied bringing a jar of delicious homemade blackcurrant jelly with my carryon aboard a flight because the security pimpleface was adamant that it constituted a liquid :colbert:

I had a jar of rendered duck fat confiscated at JFK. Becasue it was considered a liquid by TSA. No amount of turning the jar over with out any movement at all would convince them otherwise. I was boggled.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I would say that a jar of rendered fat is a significantly more bomblike texture than a jar of water. Plastic explosives are kind of similar looking.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I would say that a jar of rendered fat is a significantly more bomblike texture than a jar of water. Plastic explosives are kind of similar looking.

Agreed. And I would have accepted that reasoning easily. It was the insistence that it was a liquid that blew my mind. At any rate...I was fairly gracious, though perplexed, and left it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Roxy Rouge posted:

Agreed. And I would have accepted that reasoning easily. It was the insistence that it was a liquid that blew my mind. At any rate...I was fairly gracious, though perplexed, and left it.

I would have been tempted to tell then to use it as lube and go and gently caress themselves.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
When making tea, who needs a kettle when you have a microwave? :can:

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

sweat poteto posted:

Do US airlines typically charge for checked bags on domestic routes? I don't even own a suitcase any more.

A lot of them do. My husband and I got a Delta Skymiles card just so we wouldn't have to pay for a checked bag when we take one.

For me, it's not about waiting for my bags, it really is because I've known a lot of people whose bags got torn up or lost when they had connecting flights. i'll take one if I need it or basically every time I take a direct flight; I just don't trust connections. My roller suitcase is small enough that I've never had a problem with the overhead bins and I have a messenger bag that holds quite a bit and always fits under the seat in front of me. Helps that I'm like 5'4" and don't need a shitload of leg space, I guess.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I took a business trip in late September and ended up coming back with a lot more than I came down with so I checked my over-full suitcase. American charges $25 for that poo poo. Sure, the company's picking up the tab, but goddamn, that's a lot of scratch for something that used to be free. From now on I'm just going to carry on everything no matter how large so if they need to do a "courtesy" check during boarding, it's going to be gratis.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

ICSA voting thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748881

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm pretty sure we could make explosives from duck fat.

therattle posted:

I would have been tempted to tell then to use it as lube and go and gently caress themselves.

Terrorist spotted

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Force de Fappe posted:

I'm pretty sure we could make explosives from duck fat.

Terrorist spotted

propaganda owns

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I want to be a Meat Dealer when I grow up.

All sorts of illicit meats available from ME. ;)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Pssst! Wanna buy some bacon? *opens trenchcoat to reveal strips of cured meat*

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Hah. Remember when normal people used iron skillets.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

"Gee, I don't know, Mister... I've heard that stuff will give you cancer!"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Just try some; you'll like it. This time's free, but next time it'll cost ya. *hands over small piece of bresaola*

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

propaganda owns

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
oh my goddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

I have been meaning to get a serv-safe certificate to hang in my kitchen just because I thought it would get some laughs (don't work in industry anymore, am extremely meticulous about food safety)

enrolled in this $15 online course thing to get a certificate

20 minutes in to an adobe flash video thing that is projected to take an hour and a half and I want to shoot myself

everything is condescending, they talk really slow, and you can't fast forward or skip past anything. :cry: anyone who knows anything about food handling already knows 99% of this poo poo too.

anyone who has actually done this for real for work, I feel your pain.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 29, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You guys are joking about illicit meat, but I've actually had shady freezer trucks roaming around my neighborhood and actually asking people on the street if they wanted half price meat out of the blue.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

That line of thinking is actually a decade old. Airlines used to lose luggage pretty regularly a long time ago but after modernizing their logistics it's vastly improved.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I just feel like a badass walking directly off my flight into an uber. No rolling bags though. Those aren't badass. Also fitting 7-8 days of clothes into 1 bag is real cool.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

therattle posted:

Pssst! Wanna buy some bacon? *opens trenchcoat to reveal strips of cured meat*

...said the Jew.

Then again, don't get high on your own supply and all that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Force de Fappe posted:

...said the Jew.

Then again, don't get high on your own supply and all that.

Me, eat that poo poo? It'll kill you! But if you really want it, I give you good price.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

mindphlux posted:

anyone who has actually done this for real for work, I feel your pain.

Getting paid to do it takes a lot of the sting off, gotta say.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Taking the cert classes made me consider becoming an inspector. Easiest class I've ever taken, and all you have to do is not care if restaurant owners hate you. Which I don't.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Unfortunately, illicit meat will sometimes mean it comes from illegal slaughter houses. Just google your area and illegal slaughter house, and you'll find all sorts of nasty poo poo. Those things don't get busted nearly enough.

Remember, when you buy directly from the farm for personal use, you have to slaughter and process it yourself, or take it to a USDA inspected butcher (or have one come to you!) The farmer can not do it for you!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sextro posted:

I just feel like a badass walking directly off my flight into an uber. No rolling bags though. Those aren't badass. Also fitting 7-8 days of clothes into 1 bag is real cool.

It is not at all badass to walk into an uber. Capitalist and parasitic, yes, but not badass.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Wait why is uber your new costco

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Uber socializes the risk and cost of their operations onto their pool of drivers, who have no opportunity to pool their power as a group of laborers. At the same time, uber reaps all of the substantial benefits from the risk they force their workers to take on. If it were run like a traditional taxi company in terms of insurance and other liability shielding, then there wouldn't be such an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Uber is cheaper, has more drivers, has more polite drivers because of ratings, promos, etc.

The local cab companies just now started using POS systems because their drivers were tacking on tips to their old paper reciepts.

gently caress cab companies.