Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JerikTelorian posted:

So, there's nothing really wrong with a straight-up sandbox. I would really like a sandbox game mode that let you advance and upgrade at your own pace, rather than chasing down fetch quests for bugs or obscure decorative pieces so that I can do what I really want to do (upgrade my drat ship).
I would really like this more as a sandbox if there was stuff to do, but the worlds feel so static I feel less like an explorer and mroe like a visitor who's not allowed to meaningfully interact with anything.
I'd like an open sandbox mode if there was more to the systems of the game, instead of just stuff tacked on like hoverboards and alpacas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I remember really liking starbound when it came out and was getting updates and then at some point it's like the game went into cryostasis. Hardly anything has changed in the years it's been in development.

Unsurprisingly one of the first early access games set the standard for stagnating development in early access titles.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Davoren posted:

they didnt make 20 million on starbound, they made it on the idea of starbound, the shitposting didnt happen overnight, this is the result of the devs ignoring legitimate criticism and doubling down on bad decisions, if they made a genuine effort to engage with their userbase rather than say things like 'Yes, I should definitely be taking this thread seriously.' maybe they could claw back some credibility

Yeah but at the same time who is the guy lounging at the beach fanning himself with fistfuls of cash, and who is the guy making posts on the internet about how disappointed he is?

I don't really have a horse in the race because I haven't played Starbound since getting bored of it within 3 months of getting it years ago -- I just agree that they dont have goals with it, they dont have plans for it, they want the money to keep rolling in but I dont think they have another game lined up, so they have all this time to work on it and not feel pressure to actually "fix it". Its also a matter of who they listen to when implementing poo poo.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tenzarin posted:

When this was released I farmed up the highest armor by going to a sand planet and only running the surface for ore. I would stay there for at least 2 deaths one in each direction if I didn't circle the place.

The thing I hated was how hard it was to actually kill stuff, it made healing pointless and fighting it take forever.

Is the game any better now?

No.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Devoyniche posted:

Yeah but at the same time who is the guy lounging at the beach fanning himself with fistfuls of cash, and who is the guy making posts on the internet about how disappointed he is?

:captainpop: drat man!! fuckin owned :supaburn:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Patware posted:

:captainpop: drat man!! fuckin owned :supaburn:

honestly i had to double check and make sure that post wasn't by supernorn

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

honestly i had to double check and make sure that post wasn't by supernorn

The pirate game that is 'supposedly' coming out had an job posting for it on a bunch of websites where people working on it weren't getting a salary and were going to be paid out of gross profit for the game. Which basically meant a dozen or so people would probably not be getting paychecks for a 1 to 2 year dev cycle (since the game was being written in Haskell, shoot for 3/4 years). To which everybody and their dog said 'lol' at the ad posting.

Supernorn probably wasn't one of the people who got profit shared for Starbound.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Does anyone know of a decent tutorial or whatever that explains how to mod in this most recent version? I used to be able to just open a file like beamaxe.tool and change a value so my matter manipulater would destroy everything. Now there are NO files in the assets folder and I can't find any sites that explain what the hell is going on with modding... halp

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Colony deeds are a nice feature. They are quite detailed in their implementation and create a lot of possibility for running your own town or city. Pretty unique to Starbound IMO.

http://starbounder.org/Colony_Deed

http://starbounder.org/Tenant

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

lunatikfringe posted:

Colony deeds are a nice feature. They are quite detailed in their implementation and create a lot of possibility for running your own town or city. Pretty unique to Starbound IMO.

http://starbounder.org/Colony_Deed

http://starbounder.org/Tenant

Hmm.

quote:

Unhappy

Indicates there are objects missing or the house needs repair. Accompanied by the tenant crying. If the reason the tenant is unhappy is not addressed within 45 seconds the tenant will leave. Tenants pay no rent while unhappy.

Is that like, gently caress you I'm out leave, or do they come back after you replace the key furniture you were trying to rearrange?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 26, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Unhappy also occurs if you place a Starbound Arcade Console in a NPC's home.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dandywalken posted:

Unhappy also occurs if you place a Starbound Arcade Console in a NPC's home.

Oh, that's good. :golfclap:

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Section Z posted:

Hmm.

Is that like, gently caress you I'm out leave, or do they come back after you replace the key furniture you were trying to rearrange?

From playing around with the system last night, the NPC will teleport out if the minimum requirements for that NPC are not kept. Restoring the items will cause a new NPC to teleport in. They seem to be randomly generated depending on the type you try to spawn (check the tenants page above for the minimum requirements). On one hand it sucks not having a persistent NPC, but on the other, you can keep generating a new NPC till you get one you like by taking down the Colony deed and putting it back up.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there was a ton of random furniture items you could collect when starbound first entered early access, and i made some pretty kickass bases, but each unique item on screen would add framerate lag until the game became unplayably slow. i stopped playing when it became clear that chucklefish wasnt particularly interested in performance fixes, because, lets face it, theyre designers, not developers

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Lunatikfringe, according to the Colony Deed wiki page, there's an option to preserve the tenant in the configs. If you turn that to true then it will always resummon the same tenant, and if requirements are lost, it will just go vacant until restored to its original state, instead of getting a new randomized tenant.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

DolphinCop posted:

there was a ton of random furniture items you could collect when starbound first entered early access, and i made some pretty kickass bases, but each unique item on screen would add framerate lag until the game became unplayably slow. i stopped playing when it became clear that chucklefish wasnt particularly interested in performance fixes, because, lets face it, theyre designers, not developers

I remember it being pretty laggy as well in earlier versions, but much better now. I have a mid range Nvidia gfx card, 8 core cpu, 16gbRAM for reference. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and normal 64bit game mode kept crashing after an hour but using the Open GL mode fixed that. I run 1650X1080 windowed using the 64bit Open GL game mode and it works great.

Vib Rib posted:

Lunatikfringe, according to the Colony Deed wiki page, there's an option to preserve the tenant in the configs. If you turn that to true then it will always resummon the same tenant, and if requirements are lost, it will just go vacant until restored to its original state, instead of getting a new randomized tenant.

Oh nice! I completely missed that. Solves the accidental despawn problem when remodeling then!

I really like how you can control what type of NPC spawns by using furniture combinations. Anything from a futuristic base with gun toting guards, or a rustic castle with samurai wielding Hylotl, it is now possible.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

lunatikfringe posted:

Oh nice! I completely missed that. Solves the accidental despawn problem when remodeling then!

I really like how you can control what type of NPC spawns by using furniture combinations. Anything from a futuristic base with gun toting guards, or a rustic castle with samurai wielding Hylotl, it is now possible.

See, stuff like that actually sounds nice and reminds me why I still kinda keep tabs on the game :unsmith:

It's just a shame my biggest issue with the game (combat/survivability) just gets farther and farther from my tastes :smith:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DolphinCop posted:

I'm guessing the game is also optimized like garbage and is getting worse. I could play it just fine when it first came out but now it's literally unplayable it's so laggy and awful.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
I recommend anyone who hasn't touched the game in a while give it another go. Start a new character and go in with a blank slate new game mindset. You might see some things that impress you. (Quests, dungeons, colonies, ship upgrades, inventory, etc)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You probably won't, but you might!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

lunatikfringe posted:

I recommend anyone who hasn't touched the game in a while give it another go. Start a new character and go in with a blank slate new game mindset. You might see some things that impress you. (Quests, dungeons, colonies, ship upgrades, inventory, etc)

The only thing that impresses me are that there are still SHILLS like YOU trying to make people believe that the game is good!!!!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, i could spend a few hours sifting through a mound of feces to find the occasional alright bit, orrrrrrrr i could play something that isn't a mound of feces. given that guild wars 2 just got an expansion, i'm gonna go with that.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

It's pretty weird to see how much this thread has changed from a few years ago. Before there were just constant arguments about what the devs did and whether the game was fun or not. Now it's nothing but grim fatalism as far as the eye can see. I guess everyone just gave up?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I randomly clicked on this thread after not playing since right after they went public. Just from reading the stuff on this page I'm guessing it's terrible?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

I randomly clicked on this thread after not playing since right after they went public. Just from reading the stuff on this page I'm guessing it's terrible?

Yes goonsire.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

AnonSpore posted:

Starbound is great

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
A lot of whiners really. It is a $15 early access game and everyone treats it like a finished AAA. $15 for 80+ hours. And it keeps getting better as time goes on. If you like Terraria, Starbound is worth it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lunatikfringe posted:

A lot of whiners really. It is a $15 early access game and everyone treats it like a finished AAA. $15 for 80+ hours. And it keeps getting better as time goes on. If you like Terraria, Starbound is worth it.
The Star Citizen thread is that way.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

lunatikfringe posted:

I'm just gonna bask in this post for a moment before the rest of the thread cannibalizes it

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

lunatikfringe posted:

If you look at this guy's post history and determine that he has good taste, or any taste at all, in video games then please play and enjoy Starbound.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lunatikfringe posted:

The reason XXL Big Dog shirts in the 90's with the text "Step 2 Me" emblazoned on them existed was to be worn when standing next to punks like you. Get outta here.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

lunatikfringe posted:

VerdantSquire posted:

It's pretty weird to see how much this thread has changed from a few years ago. Before there were just constant arguments about what the devs did and whether the game was fun or not. Now it's nothing but grim fatalism as far as the eye can see. I guess everyone just gave up?

Make Tiy do a six hour livestream of having to do a start from scratch playthrough with no devcheats on. Then we can see how great the game is from how much the creator is enjoying themselves!

Right?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 28, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Does anyone have a link to the video of the creepy old guy singing "STAR... BOUND... STAR... BOUND... SPACE ADVENTURES" or whatever it is?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Met posted:

Does anyone have a link to the video of the creepy old guy singing "STAR... BOUND... STAR... BOUND... SPACE ADVENTURES" or whatever it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0MBDzzW4b0 Ray Sipe is not creepy, you just don't understand the art of music.

Also, I find it disturbing that I knew exactly who to look for when you said that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Section Z posted:

Make Tiy do a six hour livestream of having to do a start from scratch playthrough with no devcheats on. Then we can see how great the game is from how much the creator is enjoying themselves!
This is actually a really good idea for almost every game in development, because the longer it's in development the less I feel the developers will actually just flat play the game. I think if they really want to find some direction on Starbound they should just start playing it vanilla and see what feels wrong. It'll come naturally.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

This is actually a really good idea for almost every game in development, because the longer it's in development the less I feel the developers will actually just flat play the game. I think if they really want to find some direction on Starbound they should just start playing it vanilla and see what feels wrong. It'll come naturally.

Yeah every time some mechanic is shown of in a .gif or tiny video that in any way involves dealing or taking damage I can't help but ask myself "Okay, so how would that turn out for a NORMAL PLAYER then?"

Like, even with obvious Dev cheats keeping them alive despite the damage, they still needed edit cuts for the platforming dungeon they could barely make it through.

But no I just hate the game/I'm trolling if I ask "So, how did they survive taking more damage from tesla spikes than would be my health max?" or other concerns for people playing the game without cheat codes and actually having to deal with the progression long term.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Flamethrowers? Check

Spelunking? Check

Ancient Civilizations? :cthulhu:

Parties? :shroom:

:getin:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
no thanks

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This is an idea game, not a game game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

lunatikfringe posted:

Flamethrowers? Check

Spelunking? Check

Ancient Civilizations? :cthulhu:

Parties? :shroom:

:getin:

I see you didn't mention anything about it being fun.

Because it is not fun.

It is in fact the opposite of fun you see.

It is...

unfun.

• Locked thread