Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Veotax posted:

Their compensation was making sure Steam non-shady key sites like GMG gave refunds. I imagine that Steam allowed you to refund it if you were over the two hour limit.

That's not really compensation for people that held on to a broken game for several months waiting for it to get fixed. After it got originally delayed for months. We didn't even get a "sorry. It won't happen again" i don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Why is my new bat mobile white?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Cultural Appropriation.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Aquasnake posted:

That's not really compensation for people that held on to a broken game for several months waiting for it to get fixed. After it got originally delayed for months. We didn't even get a "sorry. It won't happen again" i don't think.

No, it's not. I'm not defending it, but that's their thought process. People had the opportunity to get their money back and were not promised anything as a mea culpa if they didn't.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Hallowed posted:

Why is my new bat mobile white?

Black paint is expensive man. You think Bruce Wayne got his billions throwing money around?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To all the people asking for compensation: What do you think you did to deserve it? You bought a busted game, and they're fixing it to not be busted, so that you can get your money's worth out of it. Making the game work better is your compensation.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

CJacobs posted:

To all the people asking for compensation: What do you think you did to deserve it? You bought a busted game, and they're fixing it to not be busted, so that you can get your money's worth out of it. Making the game work better is your compensation.

Badass! This guy is loving badass! This guy is a true give no fucks ice cold mofo!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CJacobs posted:

Source your quotes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

If only, if only there was a similar point of comparison. Perhaps a game that was released in an infamous busted state where the company involved made more significant reparations. If only.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Ok, I'll bite.

lol you think people knew about the game being busted before they bought it. Everyone complaining bought it at launch or pre-ordered it (kinda dumb but hey, hype machine gonna hype). No one was remotely aware that they were getting a faulty product until after the fact. Add in the pretty atrocious support WB/Rocksteady offered and you have a good recipe for a shitstorm.

Also, making the game work shouldn't even be remotely considered compensation.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Now that the game is going to have all the content that was missing, I don't really feel like playing it. I might get around to it at some point, but not anytime soon.

Maybe my next upgrade. In like 3 or 4 years.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

net cafe scandal posted:

Badass! This guy is loving badass! This guy is a true give no fucks ice cold mofo!

Scyantific posted:

Ok, I'll bite.

lol you think people knew about the game being busted before they bought it. Everyone complaining bought it at launch or pre-ordered it (kinda dumb but hey, hype machine gonna hype). No one was remotely aware that they were getting a faulty product until after the fact. Add in the pretty atrocious support WB/Rocksteady offered and you have a good recipe for a shitstorm.

Also, making the game work shouldn't even be remotely considered compensation.

I bought the game day one and played through it when it was still busted and I am not particularly pleased that I bought a game that was broken but that doesn't mean I should just get free poo poo. I'm in the same boat as you are and I cannot understand your position.

edit: Your position you didn't explain, to boot. You still didn't give me a reason, which is what I was asking for. I'm honestly confused here.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 26, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I bought the game day one and played through it when it was still busted and I am not particularly pleased that I bought a game that was broken but that doesn't mean I should just get free poo poo. I'm in the same boat as you are and I cannot understand your position.

By and large when a video game company releases a defective product or suffers a significant downtime they attempt to do something for their buyers to retain fan goodwill. They are not obligated to do this but by not doing it they upset the fans who feel displeased and used, especially since other companies do do that and it sets an expectation. If you don't care, that is fine, but it is completely reasonable and legitimate for someone to go "well, WB didn't seem to care about their screwup, gently caress those guys."

CJacobs posted:

edit: Your position you didn't explain, to boot. You still didn't give me a reason, which is what I was asking for. I'm honestly confused here.

Do you really not understand why a company releasing a defective product and then doing absolutely nothing to re-earn fan good will is met with a poor response? "Fixing the game" isn't a thing that earns good will when it takes six months.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'll buy this when it's five dollars on Steam, or less than that on G2A.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

By and large when a video game company releases a defective product or suffers a significant downtime they attempt to do something for their buyers to retain fan goodwill. They are not obligated to do this but by not doing it they upset the fans who feel displeased and used, especially since other companies do do that and it sets an expectation. If you don't care, that is fine, but it is completely reasonable and legitimate for someone to go "well, WB didn't seem to care about their screwup, gently caress those guys."

Do you really not understand why a company releasing a defective product and then doing absolutely nothing to re-earn fan good will is met with a poor response? "Fixing the game" isn't a thing that earns good will when it takes six months.

Yes but my point is that they obviously do care about their screwup since they're fixing it because of the big backlash in the first place. Why that isn't enough to satisfy you honestly makes no logical sense. How are they doing absolutely nothing to re-earn fan good will when they're fixing their mistake in the first place? Why don't they seem to care about their screwup if they've been putting out frequent updates on the specific things being patched?

edit: And you're right, it has taken a pretty long time to get the game fixed but the length of time matters a whole lot less than the fact that they're actively doing something about it, and expecting anything past that just because of industry standards is seriously a fool's errand.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 26, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Yes but my point is that they obviously do care about their screwup since they're fixing it because of the big backlash in the first place. Why that isn't enough to satisfy you honestly makes no logical sense. How are they doing absolutely nothing to re-earn fan good will when they're fixing their mistake in the first place? Why don't they seem to care about their screwup if they've been putting out frequent updates on the specific things being patched?

I am honestly bewildered how you do not get this. This is literally standard business practice. If my internet goes down my ISP credits me for the time it was down. If I order from grubhub.com and the food is late they offer a coupon to me.

That is because 'doing the bare minimum' tends not to make people think highly of your company. It makes your company look bad. Companies want to look good to keep customers coming back to them.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Its awesome when you find a place on GrubHub and you know its only listed on the website as an error and you wont get your food if you order from there, so you can place an order and get an apolegetic call from a GrubHub rep with a five dollar coupon and a full refund. The man can't lock everything down. Theres always hope.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

CJacobs posted:

edit: And you're right, it has taken a pretty long time to get the game fixed but the length of time matters a whole lot less than the fact that they're actively doing something about it, and expecting anything past that just because of industry standards is seriously a fool's errand.

They're fixing it because the game was frankly unplayable and nobody would ever trust Rocksteady again if they didn't fix it (yes I know it wasn't Rocksteady who did the port, but it's their name attached to the product). Fixing the port so that PC players can play the game they paid 60 dollars for is the baseline and bare minimum of what they should be doing because it shouldn't have happened in the first place. The game shouldn't have been released in such a bad state that it had to be pulled off Steam. Acting like Rocksteady are being huge good guys for fixing it all is ridiculous. Of course they're fixing it, they HAVE to fix it. They literally don't have a PC release if they don't. But customers got jerked around for months and that's the kind of thing that deserves recompense and an apology.

I didn't even buy the PC version and I think the PC folks are getting dicked over.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

Hi, they put a product out for sale that didn't meet the bare minimum standards for sale 6 months before it was ready and charged people a premium price for it. Yes they should probably attempt to satisfy people.

Not to mention the entire fact that while they pulled the game for sale relatively quickly, they left the season pass up for like a month after release, even though they weren't any where ready to distribute the content, despite what the Season Pass description said.

Congratulations on supporting lovely business practices though!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CuwiKhons posted:

They're fixing it because the game was frankly unplayable and nobody would ever trust Rocksteady again if they didn't fix it (yes I know it wasn't Rocksteady who did the port, but it's their name attached to the product). Fixing the port so that PC players can play the game they paid 60 dollars for is the baseline and bare minimum of what they should be doing because it shouldn't have happened in the first place. The game shouldn't have been released in such a bad state that it had to be pulled off Steam. Acting like Rocksteady are being huge good guys for fixing it all is ridiculous. Of course they're fixing it, they HAVE to fix it. They literally don't have a PC release if they don't. But customers got jerked around for months and that's the kind of thing that deserves recompense and an apology.

I didn't even buy the PC version and I think the PC folks are getting dicked over.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Hi, they put a product out for sale that didn't meet the bare minimum standards for sale 6 months before it was ready and charged people a premium price for it. Yes they should probably attempt to satisfy people.

Not to mention the entire fact that while they pulled the game for sale relatively quickly, they left the season pass up for like a month after release, even though they weren't any where ready to distribute the content, despite what the Season Pass description said.

Congratulations on supporting lovely business practices though!

Fair enough. And obviously (at least I hoped it was obvious but from ImpAtom's posts apparently it wasn't) I don't think they should get off scot free for putting a game that doesn't work for most of its players up for sale.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Its awesome when you find a place on GrubHub and you know its only listed on the website as an error and you wont get your food if you order from there, so you can place an order and get an apolegetic call from a GrubHub rep with a five dollar coupon and a full refund. The man can't lock everything down. Theres always hope.

I'm indifferent to getting any compensation from WB but I did want to say your pumpkin avatar is amazing and I just now noticed it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Mr E posted:

I'm indifferent to getting any compensation from WB but I did want to say your pumpkin avatar is amazing and I just now noticed it.

Thanks man. A really nice guy in the Imp Zone made it for me to celebrate fallfeels.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

They didnt fix poo poo the game still runs exactly the same.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got this game cheaply enough on GMG a couple of weeks ago to break in my new computer. It runs great, and I kind of grew to like the batmobile stuff. I am now that fucker, the one who wanders into threads and tells people to get good and stop whining.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol @ telling people not to expect anything special after buying the most busted AAA PC port launch of all time and "you should be happy it works at all."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krazyface posted:

I got this game cheaply enough on GMG a couple of weeks ago to break in my new computer. It runs great, and I kind of grew to like the batmobile stuff. I am now that fucker, the one who wanders into threads and tells people to get good and stop whining.

I am pretty sure that getting good doesn't make the game run better!

(Also I don't think people's complaints about the Batmobile was that it was too hard but I may be mistaken.)

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Making the game work better, would be compensation.

Making the game work, is not compensation.

The difference is between buying a cookie and being given a cookie and a glass of milk.
And buying a cookie and being given a pile of dough and being forced to watch them make the cookie over the course of several months.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I know the two games are not similar at all, but I keep looking at the Witcher 3 as a comparison. The game worked at launch, though it had its share of bugs. Since release, CD Projekt Red has released roughly a patch a month - sometimes just bug fixes, sometimes bigger or new content that they didn't have to release. They built enough trust that despite just experiencing the abortion that was the Arkham Knight release, I still felt it worthwhile to pay full price for the Witcher 3 Season Pass. And, lo and behold, it delivered the first piece of content on the date promised. There ARE bugs, but they've already released one patch since the expansion. That builds customer loyalty.

I'm honestly baffled how a much bigger studio backed by a much bigger publisher couldn't A.) produce a decent product in the first place and B.) follow through with patches or new content on a more regular basis.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

l33t b4c0n posted:

I know the two games are not similar at all, but I keep looking at the Witcher 3 as a comparison. The game worked at launch, though it had its share of bugs. Since release, CD Projekt Red has released roughly a patch a month - sometimes just bug fixes, sometimes bigger or new content that they didn't have to release. They built enough trust that despite just experiencing the abortion that was the Arkham Knight release, I still felt it worthwhile to pay full price for the Witcher 3 Season Pass. And, lo and behold, it delivered the first piece of content on the date promised. There ARE bugs, but they've already released one patch since the expansion. That builds customer loyalty.

I'm honestly baffled how a much bigger studio backed by a much bigger publisher couldn't A.) produce a decent product in the first place and B.) follow through with patches or new content on a more regular basis.

Eh, to be fair, they did that on PS4/Bone, including requested stuff like the "all characters in challenge rooms" stuff. It doesn't excuse the PC fuckup at all mind.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I feel like doing that on other systems while the PC was still waiting for the initial game to be fixed was just rubbing salt in the wounds. I understand that if they didn't release any DLC for any systems, they'd be failing to fulfill the season pass for all their customers instead of just a third of them. But it still felt like a huge "gently caress you" to the PC customers. Honestly, they put themselves in a lovely situation by releasing it in that state.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

l33t b4c0n posted:

I feel like doing that on other systems while the PC was still waiting for the initial game to be fixed was just rubbing salt in the wounds. I understand that if they didn't release any DLC for any systems, they'd be failing to fulfill the season pass for all their customers instead of just a third of them. But it still felt like a huge "gently caress you" to the PC customers. Honestly, they put themselves in a lovely situation by releasing it in that state.

I'd say you could say it in the opposite direction too though. It would be legitimately lovely to those other customers to not get their stuff at all just so PC players didn't feel slighted. It's kind of a no-win situation but at least this way they make some of their fanbase happy instead of none of them.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

l33t b4c0n posted:

CD Projekt Red has more employees than Rocksteady. The difference is that CD Projekt Red developed for PCs and ported to consoles while Rocksteady did the opposite, and by all accounts did not support the PC port much at all with time or effort. The Witcher 3 performs in such a way on consoles that I would never buy it. Not quite the disaster that Arkham Knight on PC was however.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Oh I don't disagree. If only this no-win situation could have been avoided by them somehow...

Edit: Fair enough about CD Projekt Red. I guess I don't have the facts totally straight and it is comparing two unrelated things. I'll concede on that point.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Well poo poo, now I want to see CD Projekt Red do a Batman game. :haw:

After they put out Cyberpunk 2077, of course.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Capn Beeb posted:

Well poo poo, now I want to see CD Projekt Red do a Batman game. :haw:

After they put out Cyberpunk 2077, of course.

I think at this point, 2077 is the release year for that game.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

This game at least taught me to not buy a WB/Rocksteady game on PC ever again, so there's that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Azubah posted:

This game at least taught me to not buy a WB/Rocksteady game on PC ever again, so there's that.

WB has not done a great job with PC releases this year. I guarantee I wont buy one at launch ever again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This is a thing

quote:

We’re aware that a lot of fans here in the community are asking for the chance to play with Harley Quinn’s classic look from Batgirl: A Matter of Family, and others would like the chance to play as Red Hood in his uniform as the Arkham Knight.

Sefton and I were talking about this earlier, and he told me that while we didn’t plan for either of these to be playable in the game, we may be able to find some resources somewhere to make one of them into a character skin. Whether we’re able to do this all depends on how widespread the demand is, and which character is most popular.

So let’s decide with a democratic vote. We’ll use the Twitter Hashtags #TeamClassicHarley and #TeamArkhamKnight – please mention @RocksteadyGames in your tweets to make sure they’re counted. We’ll add up the mentions and announce the winner once we have a decision.

Quick disclaimer: if there isn’t enough interest in this, we won’t be able to justify assigning the artists and designers to this project, so it’s up to you guys to show that lots of players want this!

Looking forward to seeing what you guys want.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Batman-Arkham-Knight-General/VOTE-Final-Fan-requested-Skin-for-Batman-Arkham-Knight/td-p/846530

Is really that hard to enable those skins?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

That's the dumb thing about it, who cares if it doesn't make sense if they grapple around or whatever. It doesn't have to make sense if it's cool and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is just a pretty blatant attempt to build up interest prior to the relaunch. That is why they're like "if there is no interest we won't do it."

• Locked thread