Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sym
Feb 22, 2006
Where am I?

pr0digal posted:

:psyboom:

I hope hub is just a branding thing and it's not actually a hub (but it's a switching hub so :v:). Cause that would just be the frosting on top of the poo poo cake

Says Giga too, is there such thing as Gigabit Hubs :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Lightning Jim posted:

Waiting for larches when the CE does implment wireless

I won't be here :colbert:

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

One of the offices is complaining that their internet is spotty and slow. Looks like it may be a switch issue, let's just take a look and-

Welp.
"You know, I misjudged you. It's not fair of me to call you an rear end in a top hat and I apologize for that. You're too loving stupid to be an rear end in a top hat. You'd have to go back to school and get a PhD before you'd have the wherewithal to be an rear end in a top hat."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Does he own stock in that company or something?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

larchesdanrew posted:

I won't be here :colbert:

No one will, because it'll never be implemented.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

Network problems came in.

One of the offices is complaining that their internet is spotty and slow. Looks like it may be a switch issue, let's just take a look and-

Welp.

Switching hub and a switch to cause a loop?

What the gently caress?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Welp.

Well there's the problem, it's filled it's data quota and crashed.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Migishu posted:

Well there's the problem, it's filled it's data quota and crashed.

More than 95% of ports in use.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thanks Ants posted:

Switching hub and a switch to cause a loop?

What the gently caress?

I'm sure that someone who knows more about networking could explain what it really does, but I like to imagine it's basically a
"Broadcast Storm ON/OFF" toggle.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm sure that someone who knows more about networking could explain what it really does, but I like to imagine it's basically a
"Broadcast StormEtherblast ON/OFF" toggle.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Roargasm posted:

Pasture cables :q:

No tickets came in, because I don't have to pick up the phone anymore!! Learning Powershell was a very good decision

Cool, I'm doing the same after fighting with management to get the course approved.

Two days in, I have already written a script that add and remove users from a group based off userid or employee ID.

Soon, the snap in will be a distant memory.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

larchesdanrew posted:

Welp.

Can it survive an etherblast?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Can it survive an etherblast?

The etherblast is coming from inside the network

MJP posted:

I haven't gotten to the end of the thread yet - what will you be doing income-wise in the meantime?

I think I've got a pretty good in as a sysadmin at a particular factory in the area. Turns out a guy I work with has a wife who found a new job in another state. The job she is vacating happens to be the position I've applied to and she's going to drop my name to HR, so here's hoping.

I've got a freelance project for a local business to do a massive infrastructure overhaul and they're paying me very well for the work. Enough to last me several months, so I've got a window, at least.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 27, 2015

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLY REAL LIFE

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So I work at a school in a larger campus, independent of our central IT which obviously manages the infrastructure among other things.

My boss apparently left word that I was to hook up an ASUS Wifi router, which, as there's no way he told our networking people about it, would effectively be a rogue AP that would easily be traced back to me, as I'd have to whitelist the MAC address to hook it up.

I am not going to do this thing. I'm going to go home instead.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just got in to the network of a sister company that is being decommissioned, we're gutting the infrastructure, bringing it to our site, and only keeping the core services online for future access.

Their EMC navisphere web interface has no password, wide open on the network. :stonk:

One domain controller. One. Doing windows server backup to an iscsi volume.

One VM server with an essentials license.

The dhcp scope is 10.0.2.0-10.0.254.0, with a one hour lease time.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, this is gonna be fun ripping this horrible poo poo apart.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

devmd01 posted:

As long as the lease time is longer than my bathroom breaks I don't have a problem with this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

"Broadcast Storm ON/OFF" toggle.

So flipping the switch to On turns on a totally unconfigurable STP instance, and since the switch is so old there's a chance it wants to be the root bridge. What could possibly go wrong?

:getin:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

devmd01 posted:

That's a ridiculously big broadcast domain, right?

I'm one of those "working on my CCNA" types and I'm just wondering if my initial reaction was right.

That's aside from the weirdly short lease time. ...which would further exacerbate any issues caused by the broadcast domain, since the machines would be broadcasting for DHCP more often, right?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes it's insane to have a subnet that large.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes it's insane to have a subnet that large.

Some time ago:
:supaburn:: IP Address conflict! Make sure this NEVER happens again!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

That's a ridiculously big broadcast domain, right?

I'm one of those "working on my CCNA" types and I'm just wondering if my initial reaction was right.

That's aside from the weirdly short lease time. ...which would further exacerbate any issues caused by the broadcast domain, since the machines would be broadcasting for DHCP more often, right?

Yeah, /16 is an insanely large amount of address space, so much so the average business could probably turn lease time to max and never run out .

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

Welp.

:downs: "Hey boss, I got the new cables and wireless routers for the project!"

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Ozz81 posted:

That isn't nearly enough antennas.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

It tickles me that people still remember that incident. :3:

Will you tell it again? For the noobs of course.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Hey, guys, me again with some more slightly less pesky DSL questions. :-)

If Google is any measure, I am apparently the ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD doing ADSL RFC1483 bridging to the wired switchports AND doing NAT/DHCP with the built-in AP at the same time on a Cisco 877W. Having spent the better part of THREE DAYS poring over literally thousands of pages of Cisco's documentation, sample configurations and endless threads on help forums, I have finally replaced and consolidated my ancient Cisco 678 and a no-name crappy wifi router. I'm online again and life is unicorns and glitter and unbridled glee.

I'll mostly spare you the long and highly entertaining post-mortem of the eye-pokingly arduous installation and just say that the last time I dealt with IOS in any meaningful way was dual-homing a 3745 with Verio and ELI in the [LOCATION], around 2003. Renaming, renumbering and physically reorganizing an entire domain of Unix servers, load balancers, switch cluster and desktop clients in about a day was a walk in the park compared to bending that bloody 877 to my will. Then, as now, a Unix guy working with IOS, it makes me feel like smashing my own skull in with hammers. You can only admire Cisco's dogged determination to keep IOS as murderously frustrating and willfully obtuse as ever after all these decades. But it works, and I expect it will continue to work as long as I never have to touch it again. :-) (My 3548XL switch has been up for 7 years, 41 weeks without a reboot. I guess sometimes you really do get what you pay for. Like quality UPS batteries, obviously. :-)

I am wondering, though, if you guys might take a quick peek at the status of my DSL port on your end and make sure nothing is terribly amiss... I hope I didn't spam your logs with all the bouncing up and down of my circuit over the weekend... here's what the new modem, with much better firmware than the vintage 678, reports:

mc-gw#show dsl interface atm 0
ATM0
Alcatel 20190 chipset information
ATU-R (DS) ATU-C (US)
Modem Status: Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)
DSL Mode: ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT) Annex A
ITU STD NUM: 0x03 0x1
Vendor ID: 'STMI' 'ALCB'
Vendor Specific: 0x0000 0x0000
Vendor Country: 0x0F 0x0F
Chip ID: C196 (0)
DFE BOM: DFE3.0 Annex A (1)
Capacity Used: 69% 64%
Noise Margin: 23.0 dB 21.0 dB
Output Power: 18.5 dBm 12.0 dBm
Attenuation: 15.0 dB 12.0 dB
FEC ES Errors: 0 0
ES Errors: 22 1
SES Errors: 0 0
LOSES Errors: 0 0
UES Errors: 0 0
Defect Status: None None
Last Fail Code: None
Watchdog Counter: 0xE7
Watchdog Resets: 0
Selftest Result: 0x00
Subfunction: 0x00
Interrupts: 4127 (0 spurious)
PHY Access Err: 0
Activations: 1
LED Status: ON
LED On Time: 100
LED Off Time: 100
Init FW: init_AMR-4.0.015.bin
Operation FW: AMR-4.0.015.bin
FW Source: external
FW Version: 4.0.15

Interleave Fast Interleave Fast
Speed (kbps): 7168 0 640 0
Cells: 317836460 0 142970926 0
Reed-Solomon EC: 462 0 1 0
CRC Errors: 76 0 6 0
Header Errors: 71 0 0 0
Total BER: 1985E-10 0E-0
Leakage Average BER: 1463E-10 0E-0
ATU-R (DS) ATU-C (US)
Bitswap: enabled enabled
Bitswap success: 0 0
Bitswap failure: 0 0

LOM Monitoring : Disabled

DMT Bits Per Bin
000: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 7 8 8 9 8 9 9 9
010: 9 9 A 9 A A A 9 9 9 8 8 8 8 0 0
020: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 8 8 9 9 9 9 9 9
030: 9 9 A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
040: A A A A A B A A B A B A A A A A
050: 2 B B B B A B B A A A A A A A A
060: A A A A A A A B B B A B B A A B
070: A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
080: A A A A A A A A A A A A A A 9 8
090: 5 7 A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
0A0: A A A A A A A A A A A A A A 9 A
0B0: A A A A A A A A A 9 9 A A A A A
0C0: A A A A 9 9 9 6 6 9 9 9 9 9 9 9
0D0: 9 9 9 5 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9
0E0: 9 6 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9
0F0: 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 7 6 3 4 6 7 7 6

DSL: Training log buffer capability is not enabled

At first glance it looks like the error counts are lower than on the older modem, but I'm not sure if they report the same things the same way and that's after only a couple of days of uptime. Because I've had this same line since 1998, and USWest/Qwest/CenturyLink has done *nothing* to maintain, update or improve service on the POTS side since the Reagan administration, can you tell me if the noise, power and attenuation numbers look okay? I'm fewer than 4 city blocks away from the [LOCATION] CO, so less than 1,000 ft of copper between here and there.

Also, curiously, the new modem seems to lock in the 7168kbps download speed without difficulty, whereas the 678 would sometimes struggle to maintain full rate; on the other hand, this one seems to refuse to train the upload side at any rate above 640k. Uh, has CenturyLink screwed with my provisioning? That should be a wee bit closer to 896k, should it not? The "capacity used" percentages imply that maybe there's a little more headroom available for upload... would it help if I changed "dsl operating-mode auto" to something better matched to the Redback on your end?

mc-gw(config-if)#dsl operating-mode ?
adsl2 ITU G.992.3 Annex A and L
adsl2+ ITU G.992.5 Annex A
ansi-dmt ANSI T1.413
auto auto detect mode
itu-dmt ITU G.992.1 Annex A

The 678 always seemed to negotiate (or was fixed at) ANSI T1.413, but the 877W's default is to try ITU first. That's a simple config option easily reversed without locking in a particular mode, assuming you guys prefer to let things negotiate rather than hardwire the settings. Will ANSI mode perhaps give me a titch higher upload rate? I suppose I could just bo... whoops. I suppose I could _schedule_ a time to bounce the interface and see if there's a difference? Don't want to be experimenting though if it'll impact other customers in 69.30.73/24 or making weird alarm bells go off on your management consoles. :-)

Any hints or feedback would be appreciated, and thanks again for taking the time to humor an old dinosaur,

-- [NAME]
:psypop:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

No hands + wedding ring?

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Is... Is that larches' CE?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
You constructed a voodoo doll out of buffalo parts. It was a joke but then, when it became 95% full of itself...

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I sent in an application, guys.

:ohdear:

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 28, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

An application came in...

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

larchesdanrew posted:

Not in .rtf, was rejected.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
In a final bit of irony, larchesdanrew's submission was lost when it was saved to a Buffalo NAS that was 95% full.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

So I work at a school in a larger campus, independent of our central IT which obviously manages the infrastructure among other things.

My boss apparently left word that I was to hook up an ASUS Wifi router, which, as there's no way he told our networking people about it, would effectively be a rogue AP that would easily be traced back to me, as I'd have to whitelist the MAC address to hook it up.

I am not going to do this thing. I'm going to go home instead.

So my boss got super weird when I showed him a policy today that explicitly says that no one is allowed to plug in consumer-grade access points to extend access to our network. He was concerned that I take things "too seriously" and referenced a time a few weeks ago when I said that we should not actually be "testing" a cell phone jamming device (which they were).

I tried to explain how it's generally a good idea to stay on your infrastructure group's good side and that, while I wouldn't get fired over it, I could very easily have my rights to our InfoBlox (necessary to whitelist devices so that they can receive DHCP addresses) revoked. Aside from the InfoBlox thing he said that I shouldn't be concerned with what they think of me "unless I'm thinking of working there eventually."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

So my boss got super weird when I showed him a policy today that explicitly says that no one is allowed to plug in consumer-grade access points to extend access to our network. He was concerned that I take things "too seriously" and referenced a time a few weeks ago when I said that we should not actually be "testing" a cell phone jamming device (which they were).

I tried to explain how it's generally a good idea to stay on your infrastructure group's good side and that, while I wouldn't get fired over it, I could very easily have my rights to our InfoBlox (necessary to whitelist devices so that they can receive DHCP addresses) revoked. Aside from the InfoBlox thing he said that I shouldn't be concerned with what they think of me "unless I'm thinking of working there eventually."

Well, are you thinking of working there eventually? Sounds like you should.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

I said that we should not actually be "testing" a cell phone jamming device (which they were).
Cell phone jammers are not only a bad idea, they're illegal. If your company is doing stuff like this regularly, you should really be starting to ensure that you have all of your objections on the record (e.g. in email, etc.) to protect yourself.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

nexxai posted:

Cell phone jammers are not only a bad idea, they're illegal. If your company is doing stuff like this regularly, you should really be starting to ensure that you have all of your objections on the record (e.g. in email, etc.) to protect yourself.

I'm sure they have an exception from the FCC, they're probably developing equipment that they sell to the FCC to detect violations.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

A guy here is applying at another station as an assistant broadcast engineer. The CE there wants to talk to our CE, and apparently everyone has cooked up a plan to have that call forwarded to me to pretend I'm the CE, since the real one is a fuckwad.

No one told me this until he called.

That was a fun conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

larchesdanrew posted:

A guy here is applying at another station as an assistant broadcast engineer. The CE there wants to talk to our CE, and apparently everyone has cooked up a plan to have that call forwarded to me to pretend I'm the CE, since the real one is a fuckwad.

No one told me this until he called.

That was a fun conversation.

So did your coworker get the job?

• Locked thread