Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Misandry Cannon posted:

So how has Clive Barker's Undying aged? I picked it up for 3 bux on GOG and I've been meaning to play it, I just don't know what to expect as far as weird late 90's/early aughts shooter design decisions are concerned.

Speedball posted:

The combat kind of anticipates Bioshock in that you shoot with one hand and cast spells with the other and it's pretty decent. It does a lot of weird and neat stuff if you take your time to notice it all.
The final boss is poo poo, but you can just activate God Mode. But yeah, its aged a teensy bit but its still good and worth playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Bogart posted:

Until Dawn, brah.

Until Dawn is real fuckin' good.

edit: Otherwise I would say get REmake, because it's basically the crown jewel in its particular subgenre and can STILL go toe to toe with today's releases graphically, 13 years later.

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 27, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Until Dawn is way better than you'd think it would be.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, I actually had loads of fun putting together the clues to figure out what was going on. Shitloads of replay value, too.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose
11. Stray Cat Crossing
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition
13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition
14. Clandestinity of Elsie
15. The Last Door - Collector's Edition
16. Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space
17. Murdered: Soul Suspect
18. Unholy Heights
19. Claire
20. Belladonna
21. Hektor
22. Neverending Nightmares
23. Decay: The Mare
24. Uncanny Valley
25. Black Mirror

26. Dementium II HD

A lot of horror games seem to forget that at the end of the day, their game is supposed to be fun. You can cram it full of weird monsters and spooky notes and jumpscares all you want, but if it's not fun to play, no one's going to care. Dementium feels like it really takes that to heart, balling up a bunch of common elements and a few cliches in a package entertaining enough that you won't care about the details.

You play William Redmoor, apparently the same guy as in the original Dementium, whose brain problems have landed him in an oddly secure mental hospital. You have a habit of hallucinating some very Painkiller-looking monsters, and indeed your perception shifts between the hospital and its baton-wielding security guards and some gritty, monster-filled hell dimension. It's a pretty good hook, if not a terribly original one, but the game throws in a bunch of neat details to spice it up. You have a full map of each area, and there are all sorts of side rooms and locked doors that you need additional weapons or items to access. It feels almost Metroidy, except for that the core path is quite linear and there are no real secrets, just places to remember to backtrack to.

There's a pretty good spread of monsters as well, though they tend to lean towards melee types and aren't particularly fast or threatening. They have a ton of health, which can make fights tedious, but to be fair, so do you, hence the lack of threat. Outside of their Clive Barkery appearance they're not particularly scary. Dementium also likes setting up enemy arenas and gauntlets to work through, and with the generous amounts of health the enemies have these can really bust up the game flow, and not in a good way. New weapons and foes come quickly enough to keep you interested and moving forward, though.

What really got me about Dementium was how fleshed out it is as a game, despite the core gameplay and combat being a little cheap and weak. There's a perfectly good tutorial baked into the opening of the game that gets you right into the action. You have an inventory screen where you can fiddle with items and check your selection of health and buff supplies. You get to leave the hospital behind after the first chapter and explore some outdoor areas. The cutscenes are clean and frequent, even if the animation quality is lacking. And even the story tries to be a little different, with a mysterious antagonistic doctor talking about his plot to create the very real monsters from your own brain.

For a title originally released on the DS, Dementium II HD is a solid, well-rounded FPS adventure that really doesn't suffer for its console origins. Each of its many parts is polished and arranged with the others to form a legitimately entertaining package. As long as the combat doesn't wear you out, you'll find plenty of fun in this one, something that can be hard to find in other horror games.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

RE: The Heavy Rain and Until Dawn chat from 30 pages ago I am catching up on. I think the system works for Until Dawn because people dying is what is supposed to happen in a horror film. In Heavy Rain there is a set of endings that are all saccharine sweet and perfect and anything else feels less like 'your story' and more like a bad ending.

e: Needed to post ASAP in case anyone was waiting on my hot take :downs:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

RE: The Heavy Rain and Until Dawn chat from 30 pages ago I am catching up on. I think the system works for Until Dawn because people dying is what is supposed to happen in a horror film. In Heavy Rain there is a set of endings that are all saccharine sweet and perfect and anything else feels less like 'your story' and more like a bad ending.

Bad stuff happening in noir is normal but the difference is that Until Dawn is competently written and directed whereas Heavy Rain is by someone who doesn't understand how to tell a story within the constraints of a video game. The "big reveal" could've worked but whoops we let you listen to the characters' thoughts so even the unreliable narrator trope doesn't work.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

Also, Until Dawn isn't made by some weird French guy who really loves seeing characters piss.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah I get that but main character murder isn't nearly as common compared to a slasher film where people surviving is less common than them dying. Yeah the game had me gripped right until the reveal. I still think though that it's 'your story' element's biggest failing was there being a perfect ending to compare your own against. In a slahser if everyone survives you are shithouse. I would like a version of Until Dawn where you do the murdering.

e: Also Heavy Rain's Demo with the Scott fight and Jayden's crime scene investigation and honestly a game that was more like that would be cool as gently caress. Also one with out Dyvid Cyge

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 27, 2015

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My friends and I played Until Dawn in one sitting, with one friend piloting and the rest of us taking a vote on every choice.

It was an amazing experience. Against everyone's better judgment, we went, yes, touch the obvious trap AND WHOOPS.

I also like how the game mirrored our own reactions sometimes. For instance (endgame spoilers), when Emily comes back with a bite and Mike wants to put a bullet in her head, we went for it anyway. And then it turns out to be a through the eye massive blood splatter death and Mike's like OMG WHAT THE gently caress WHAT DID I JUST DO THAT'S BRUTAL and we were all like ohhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit that's way more extreme than what we wanted!

Anyway, I like the idea of horror, and reading up on it. I just am bad at playing them. I was stuck behind a cushion the entire time, even though I predicted most of the jump scares. It's why I like horror-themed games that aren't necessarily scary.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
It's funny how much of a good group experience until dawn is. My girlfriend doesn't want me to play it until she's in the room to watch. She refuses to actually PLAY the game, but I think she treats it like watching a slasher film. It's funny, because over all these years, UD might be the only 100% gf approved game I've played

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have Alien: isolation on PS3 but only got to play an hour or so once a few months ago. I am saving it to play over Christmas break but I was wondering if I should get the PS4 version in the meantime? For a variety of reasons I have Ground Zeroes on Ps3 and Ps4 and played through it on PS4. Then I went to play it on PS3 a few days ago and it looked and ran terribly in comparison.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I read the digital foundry article about Alien Isolation and it makes it sound like if you are playing on console, the ps4 is the way to go. I'd say it's worth it if you like the game. I got that "nostromo edition" brand new shipped on eBay for about 15$

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Until Dawn was great but I got an almost perfect ending my first blind playthrough and only save scummed exactly once, and I didn't even know that I could!

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Artelier posted:

I also like how the game mirrored our own reactions sometimes. For instance (endgame spoilers), when Emily comes back with a bite and Mike wants to put a bullet in her head, we went for it anyway. And then it turns out to be a through the eye massive blood splatter death and Mike's like OMG WHAT THE gently caress WHAT DID I JUST DO THAT'S BRUTAL and we were all like ohhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit that's way more extreme than what we wanted!

A friend and I decided to test out the PS4 streaming to youtube stuff and did a blind playthrough of Until Dawn. I knew what the premise was but he was completely ignorant to the whole thing.

That was a hell of an experience.

I had been sitting on the game since July waiting for a good opportunity to start it up. So glad that I was able to do it with someone else. At this point I think it might turn into a yearly tradition to try and see how different each playthrough will be.

In regards to the spoilers... wow, that scene was incredibly effective for us. We had been all about the KILL EMILY train since she was so annoying. But, I never expected it to end like that. Our reaction was captured in the corner of the screen, and it's mostly just us sitting there slackjawed and saying "wow". I'm trying to cut a clip of it to post, but youtube is taking forever to process it. I'll edit it into here, but there are doubtlessly hundreds, if not thousands, of similar videos out there already.

here we go http://youtu.be/yroNJfLdq0A?t=175

Ohvee fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 27, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For real though, what did you expect when you shoot someone point blank in the face with a .45?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Did nobody pick up the death totems? Also, don't shoot your friends!!!! What kind of monsters are you!?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

al-azad posted:

For real though, what did you expect when you shoot someone point blank in the face with a .45?
I think it says more to the timed aspect of lining up the crosshairs. I wasn't really looking at where it was having me aim, just the quick decision and panic to line it all up.

It was pretty funny how IMMEDIATELY after they find a diary and read that wendigo's aren't contagious.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Captain Yossarian posted:

I read the digital foundry article about Alien Isolation and it makes it sound like if you are playing on console, the ps4 is the way to go. I'd say it's worth it if you like the game. I got that "nostromo edition" brand new shipped on eBay for about 15$

Ok cool thanks! Def worth a buying as a little present to myself!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ohvee posted:

I think it says more to the timed aspect of lining up the crosshairs. I wasn't really looking at where it was having me aim, just the quick decision and panic to line it all up.

It was pretty funny how IMMEDIATELY after they find a diary and read that wendigo's aren't contagious.

You can actually get a good hint from one of the totems to not shoot Emily. It shows Mike's reaction when he fails to shoot her, and it's one of the totems that suggests a good path (whatever it was called).

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I finished The Park today, playing in the morning before I left and again on my lunch break. It was okay at the beginning, the titular park was nicely creepy and there were plenty of little notes around that slowly gave you a look into what was going on. The end sequence kinda fell flat for me though, several repetitive sequences that doesn't really improve on the previous iteration, and the end proper seemed disjointed from what the rest of the game was setting up.

It's only like 12 bucks but I'd wait for a 50% or so sale before checking it out.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

man nurse posted:

I'm a fatal frame fan and I found 5 to be very janky and tedious and mediocre. I vote REmake because it's the best game on your list, but it's not very scary.

It can be if you're playing it on hard and with the original controls. (Of course also only playing at night with the lights off but that goes without saying) If you're seeing a Crimson, or Lisa, or a hunter for the first time and you don't panic a bit, I don't know what you'd get out of the genre. Even on replays, the anticipation for the Crimsons is scary.

Definitely play it on hard for your first time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I love that picture. You can see the souls have been sucked right out of Dafoe and Page.

And I'm surprised that Cage didn't label himself "Auteur"

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair, Ellen Paige always looks like that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's the face of a girl who just found out that Cage insisted on her shower scene model being anatomically correct when no nudity is ever shown in the game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

This picture is too spooky for this thread

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

To be fair, Ellen Paige always looks like that.

Same with Dafoe. The game's title couldn't be better, he chose the two Hollywood actors recognized for playing the most sleepy eyed dead stare characters. Someone tell him about Adrien Brody and Forest Whitaker.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Park is really bad game that attempted to rip-off PT, is full of stupid jump scares, and has an incredibly predictable ending that you could predict right from the start. Also, its only 1 hour of gameplay, and not 2 like the devs claimed.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

al-azad posted:

Same with Dafoe. The game's title couldn't be better, he chose the two Hollywood actors recognized for playing the most sleepy eyed dead stare characters. Someone tell him about Adrien Brody and Forest Whitaker.

Weird because nearly every role I've seen Dafoe and Page in they were crazy-eyed and yelling half the time.

Maybe you're confusing Ellen Page with Kristen Stewart :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Park is really bad game that attempted to rip-off PT, is full of stupid jump scares, and has an incredibly predictable ending that you could predict right from the start. Also, its only 1 hour of gameplay, and not 2 like the devs claimed.

That's a shame. I expected that maybe it'd be alright since it has alot of positive reviews but welp.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

spoil it for me, i love dumb horror game twists

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
At this point the internet's reaction to David Cage kind of feels like: "I paid 60$ to purchase Dr. Professor David Cagingworth III's Amazing Sonic Hand Cleaner, but once again, what the good Dr. Professor passes off as a "hand cleaner" is actually a woodchipper, just like his acidic soap, his carcinogenic hair tonic, and his rabid new breed of kittens. I dare say, I don't know how he stays in business. I have paid good money for each of his inventions, and been disappointed each time"

Like, Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me four times...

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

spoil it for me, i love dumb horror game twists

The protagonist killed her son, and the entire game is a hallucination she is having while talking to the cops about his "disappearance".

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 28, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

EmmyOk posted:

I have Alien: isolation on PS3 but only got to play an hour or so once a few months ago. I am saving it to play over Christmas break but I was wondering if I should get the PS4 version in the meantime? For a variety of reasons I have Ground Zeroes on Ps3 and Ps4 and played through it on PS4. Then I went to play it on PS3 a few days ago and it looked and ran terribly in comparison.

The load times were the biggest difference to me. On the ps3, the doors don't open til the room is loaded which could take a couple of seconds.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The protagonist killed her son, and the entire game is a hallucination she is having while talking to the cops about his "disappearance".

That has absolutely nothing to do with the park from the TSW setting. In the game it's run by a guy who was using black magic and kidnapped/murdered kids to grant immortality or some poo poo.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Len posted:

That has absolutely nothing to do with the park from the TSW setting. In the game it's run by a guy who was using black magic and kidnapped/murdered kids to grant immortality or some poo poo.

They tie it into TSW in a half-assed way. The Park is also a real place in the game world, just not the version shown in the game. It also includes those lore bits about the park owner even though they are meaningless to the plot. Oh, and they have a bee in a jar randomly show up in the ending too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So...yay or nay to the new fatal frame?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Fatal Frame, is the anything on the PC that goes the same direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Grognan posted:

Speaking of Fatal Frame, is the anything on the PC that goes the same direction?

Why yes, there is. And just like Fatal Frame it features a young female whose animators spent way too much time modeling her perfectly crafted butt.