Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So when I'm around Asia, I've typically used Avios points on Cathay Pacific using HKG as a hub for short haul flights, but I'm really hoping that the party isn't over. Just wanted to give anyone else a heads up who is traveling intra Asia and seeing no availability via BA.com. This hasn't been an issue in past peak seasons. Routes like HKG-TPE or BKK-HKG usually have plenty of seats, and I nearly had a panic attack this morning when I saw the results.

edit: clarity! Specifically southeast Asia, not Seattle :) Also, caberham, you gonna be around in early December? Drinks again!

air- fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Risk posted:

The connection is exactly a little over 30 min and I am doing first class on both flights. We will see if my ORD flight does not get delayed!

Assume flight will get delayed. Any weird poo poo can happen

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

air- posted:

So when I'm around Asia, I've typically used Avios points on Cathay Pacific using HKG as a hub for short haul flights, but I'm really hoping that the party isn't over. Just wanted to give anyone else a heads up who is traveling intra Asia and seeing no availability via BA.com. This hasn't been an issue in past peak seasons. Routes like HKG-TPE or BKK-HKG usually have plenty of seats, and I nearly had a panic attack this morning when I saw the results.

edit: clarity! Specifically southeast Asia, not Seattle :) Also, caberham, you gonna be around in early December? Drinks again!

Yeah hit me up! I will be back from Europe just in time.

Man I'm really bummed about being in OneWorld. Seems like Sky Team is the better deal with world wide coverage. OneWorld is mostly just Cathay in East Asia and I think its European Coverage is sub par. Especially when you are going between Asia and Europe :negative:

China Eastern planes sucks compared to Cathay but then cost wise tends to be double. Air France seems to have decent coverage of Europe. Nowadays I give up chasing miles and maintaining any tier status since I don't travel as often for fun or work.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

South America is pretty decent with AA and Lan, no?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

South America is pretty decent with AA and Lan, no?

Yeah American has a bunch of routes. It's always their old lovely planes and surly cabin crew, if you care about those.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

caberham posted:

OneWorld is mostly just Cathay in East Asia and I think its European Coverage is sub par. Especially when you are going between Asia and Europe :negative:
Between BA, Iberia, Finnair, Northern Europe is pretty well covered. Below that is just Air Berlin and their affiliate Niki. Nothing in Southern Europe, I guess?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Midjack posted:

Yeah American has a bunch of routes. It's always their old lovely planes and surly cabin crew, if you care about those.

Very much ymmv, best cabin service I've ever had was on an AA flight and I've got almost 1mm with them alone and tens of thousands with Cathay and Qantas.

Most of the birds down to SA don't have avod but in economy it's all kind of the same. Just take Lan if you can, especially in premium if the route isn't served by a refurbed 772.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

DJCobol posted:

Ha, that's the route I was looking at. BNA-ATL-JFK-NRT-SIN-NRT-JFK-ATL-BNA. If my second card spend MQM bump comes through though, I think just a transcon between ATL and LAX round trip will take care of me.

Slight route change
TPA-JFK-NRT-SIN-NRT-MSP-TPA for 21k MQMs and solidly into diamond territory. Next weekend is going to suck. I get back into Tampa at 9:30 at night and have to be at work at 6:00 am the next day. Hopefully I can get some sleep at the transit hotel at SIN in my 6 hour turnaround window.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Small White Dragon posted:

Between BA, Iberia, Finnair, Northern Europe is pretty well covered. Below that is just Air Berlin and their affiliate Niki. Nothing in Southern Europe, I guess?

I guess the coverage is not so great for me :( Or I have trouble coordinating airberlin or multi carrier flight into one itinerary.

I fly mostly into Suttgart, Italy and Western Poland so flights are never direct and involve some transfer in London or even 2 transfers into London --> Berlin --> City

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

The Risk posted:

The connection is exactly a little over 30 min and I am doing first class on both flights. We will see if my ORD flight does not get delayed!

If you come into C and out of E, or into E and out of E, you should be fine barring any significant delays. Learn the layout of IAH and what gates are where in advance if you don't already know it and be prepared to hoof it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

Very much ymmv, best cabin service I've ever had was on an AA flight and I've got almost 1mm with them alone and tens of thousands with Cathay and Qantas.

Most of the birds down to SA don't have avod but in economy it's all kind of the same. Just take Lan if you can, especially in premium if the route isn't served by a refurbed 772.

American has good planes and crew. They don't put them on flights to South America.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Anyone here have an Eagle Creek gear hauler? I'm doing a fair bit of travel for work, mostly around Europe but a few trips to the US, so I need a carry on bag that doesn't look like I'm going hiking. I don't like mini wheely bags. Is that a decent option?

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/gear-hauler/d/1291

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

Mackieman posted:

If you come into C and out of E, or into E and out of E, you should be fine barring any significant delays. Learn the layout of IAH and what gates are where in advance if you don't already know it and be prepared to hoof it.

I made it with plenty of time! My ORD-IAH was on time and my next got delayed so it was all good!

At the end of the day it was a C to E departure.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

DJCobol posted:

Slight route change
TPA-JFK-NRT-SIN-NRT-MSP-TPA for 21k MQMs and solidly into diamond territory. Next weekend is going to suck. I get back into Tampa at 9:30 at night and have to be at work at 6:00 am the next day. Hopefully I can get some sleep at the transit hotel at SIN in my 6 hour turnaround window.

You're a monster. I'm already getting sickened by my sea-nrt-sin-nrt-sea mileage run.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arzakon posted:

You're a monster. I'm already getting sickened by my sea-nrt-sin-nrt-sea mileage run.

My flight today finally pushed me into platinum, so I'm hoping that the system updates tomorrow and I'm able to go in and jump up to C+ seats. I'm in the preferred seats, and I have aisle seats all the way there and back. I'm PRAYING that somehow its not a full flight and I can end up with an empty seat next to me.

I really hope this is the only time I have to do this. Next year I should have a GUC to apply so I won't have to do this trip in coach. My longest flight to date is about 5 hours, so we'll see how 14+ hours in the air goes.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 26, 2015

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Why don't you guys make an actual vacation out of your mileage run?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I don't have the time off of work right now. It's busy season. I have 2 weeks off over Christmas and I'm going to Europe, so that's my vacation, and a second mileage run (hello BE 50% MQM bump!).

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Well, and working for DoD I've had to stay in base lodging on several occasions which isn't spectacular, but at least at my grade of DoD civilian I get officer quarters.

Another question, though. Coming back I was supposed to fly SPS–DFW–DAY; however, the SPS—DFW flight was cancelled due to weather. AA put us all on vans to DFW instead, with a pseudo flight number:

I was still able to make my connection at DFW and fly that DFW–DAY segment.

Now, I've received mileage credit and PQSs for DFW–DAY, but not SPS–DFW. Do I have any chance of getting AA to grant me PQS for that van segment?

Last year Delta hosed up and made me fly home on an American flight. They refused to give me mileage credit, so I'd guess that you won't get anything for this.

DJCobol posted:

Slight route change

I just did LAX->NRT->TPE in coach on Delta. The booze was plentiful and it helped.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 27, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Look I mean I like diamond and all that but no way I would MR over like a BOS-LHR bump or something like that good lord guys.

edit: just spend the straight cash on full Y or F and enjoy your life back, that is some flyertalk poo poo for real

edit 2: AA guy on the bus, call and bitch and I reckon they'll give you your RDMs.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Look I mean I like diamond and all that but no way I would MR over like a BOS-LHR bump or something like that good lord guys.
Prior to this year I've never had any status with any airline, so to have Diamond within reach and not go for it seemed like a waste. I don't think I'll ever do it again if i can't upgrade to 1st class and book far enough out to make a vacation out of it. For this one though, the timing worked out right that by the time I would have flown home from Tampa on Friday, did all my laundry and packed up again Saturday, watched a little bit of football on Sunday before heading to the airport so I could be back in Tampa Sunday night ready to work Monday morning, I will be flying back from MSP into TPA anyways.

quote:

edit: just spend the straight cash on full Y or F and enjoy your life back, that is some flyertalk poo poo for real
I check out flyertalk for deals on flights, and other travel related info, but holy gently caress are those some entitled assholes. There is a thread over there right now where some guy got Delta to give him 5k miles because his breakfast burrito was served on a cold plate. I have no intention of meeting up with any random internet strangers or putting a FT sticker/tag on any of my bags or suitcases.

The whole reason I'm doing it is to get the bonus 25k miles (which will help me out with business class airfare on a 747 before Delta retires them all), and GUCs for trip to Europe so I can do European delivery on a new BMW. The cash differences on those flights is WELL beyond what I'll spend money-wise for this mileage run.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You can regularly get discounted J to Europe if you stay over a Saturday for like two grand but I mean do your thing man, it's your life and your rear end in the seat.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

DJCobol posted:

Prior to this year I've never had any status with any airline, so to have Diamond within reach and not go for it seemed like a waste. I don't think I'll ever do it again if i can't upgrade to 1st class and book far enough out to make a vacation out of it. For this one though, the timing worked out right that by the time I would have flown home from Tampa on Friday, did all my laundry and packed up again Saturday, watched a little bit of football on Sunday before heading to the airport so I could be back in Tampa Sunday night ready to work Monday morning, I will be flying back from MSP into TPA anyways.

I check out flyertalk for deals on flights, and other travel related info, but holy gently caress are those some entitled assholes. There is a thread over there right now where some guy got Delta to give him 5k miles because his breakfast burrito was served on a cold plate. I have no intention of meeting up with any random internet strangers or putting a FT sticker/tag on any of my bags or suitcases.

The whole reason I'm doing it is to get the bonus 25k miles (which will help me out with business class airfare on a 747 before Delta retires them all), and GUCs for trip to Europe so I can do European delivery on a new BMW. The cash differences on those flights is WELL beyond what I'll spend money-wise for this mileage run.

Yeah that dude bitching about his congealing hog meal is real crazy compared to you who is totally sane on your mileage run.

I clear 5-10k from UA everytime I bitch at them for busted headphone jacks and tv controls and those 5k miles are worth more than skypesoes. In case you are wondering, I sleep fine at night on a big bed of miles.

Enjoy your DM status.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

DJCobol posted:

Go sign up for some MR AmEx and transfer them to Delta, save yourself a lot of cash and a whole drat weekend of sitting in an airplane.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Uncle Jam posted:

Why don't you guys make an actual vacation out of your mileage run?

Oh I am, catching an AirAsia to KUL to hang out with old coworkers and mash curry into my face for a week.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

sellouts posted:

I've flown a good deal of TPAC J/F across oneworld carriers and find this hard to believe. QF may be comparable to AA from a service perspective, but CX has by far better service than either of those. The AA FAs make me feel like I am a personal inconvenience for them. JL and CX are excited and happy to treat you while onboard.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, need a hand about booking flights. Trying to stick to Oneworld but I'm having trouble.

I'm trying to go from HKG -- > NUE --> CDG --> HKG.

Cathay's website allows HKG --> NUE, CDG ---> HKG but the middle leg craps itself. I tried looking into oneworld and that didnt work. Google flights gave super expensive options like triple the price under the same itinerary. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a direct one way trip from Air France? I can fly airberlin but it's a poo poo tier and this trip i really dont want to waste 7 hours for a short haul flight.

Is there any other method to check flights and prices and have all the alliance flights play nice with each other?

Arzakon posted:

Oh I am, catching an AirAsia to KUL to hang out with old coworkers and mash curry into my face for a week.

Jealous. Please eat beef rendang and post a picture.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

app posted:

I've flown a good deal of TPAC J/F across oneworld carriers and find this hard to believe. QF may be comparable to AA from a service perspective, but CX has by far better service than either of those. The AA FAs make me feel like I am a personal inconvenience for them. JL and CX are excited and happy to treat you while onboard.

Trust me, I know. I was shocked too. My most recent lax/hkg in J was weeeeaaaaak service whereas last lhr to dfw I was just in sync with them or something. I'd start to think about a drink and they'd be right there. Clear my tray the second I was done but not before. Just really happy.

It's just anecdotal I know. I do agree that QF is the pits.

Haven't flown JL premium yet though (because Cathay), hope to do it after my next trip which is slumming it on Emirates economy because I can't pass up a deal.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I did a mileage run to SFO once to prevent from dropping all the way to Silver. But that only cost me $250 and around 16 hours, including sleeping on the red eye from SFO-DTW. I felt pretty insane doing that. I can't imagine flying across the Pacific in Y for a mileage run. That said, I really want a trip report, preferably live.

I've got around ~$1,600 in Delta vouchers that expire in March and don't have any real vacation plans between now and then. So I might do some type of mileage run in February to use them up where I fly somewhere to Anchorage for dinner and then fly home or something. Might as well use them up rather than let them go to waste. I don't know what my travel is going to look like next year so I might need them to hit MQD. I wish MQD rolled over like MQM, this year I'm probably going to end with around $13k in MQD and like 115k MQM so with rollover I'll hit Platinum on miles next year even if I don't travel all that much but might end up well short on MQD.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

I did a mileage run to SFO once to prevent from dropping all the way to Silver. But that only cost me $250 and around 16 hours, including sleeping on the red eye from SFO-DTW. I felt pretty insane doing that. I can't imagine flying across the Pacific in Y for a mileage run. That said, I really want a trip report, preferably live.
I'll update this thread when I have the chance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

How do you guys end up so low on MQD? Long haul highly competitive stuff only? I'm at $19k on 132k MQM.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How do you guys end up so low on MQD? Long haul highly competitive stuff only? I'm at $19k on 132k MQM.

Most of my trips are midwest to SoCal or midwest to NoVa. I fly out of a smaller airport that is served by all the major airlines and 2 LLCs so prices are competitive. Plus we're required to book the cheapest available Y tickets available (within reason - we can stick to one airline if the price difference is marginal and have a lot of leeway about what itineraries are considered reasonable) for domestic, and all my flights are domestic. If I hadn't had a couple of last minute trips that were full Y fare tickets my MQD to MQM ratio would be pretty dismal.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My MQD is right about in line with my MQM progress, but I have the card spend waiver so I don't really ever look at it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm at $9k MQD with 50k MQM :D

In a taxi tonight, there was one of those ad things and it had a loop of like 2 minutes. There was a mute button on screen so I pushed it and BAM to control the audio you need to order the $7.95 'VIP' service.
Ugh Taxis.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
No more United out of JFK, not sure how I feel about this.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Xandu posted:

No more United out of JFK, not sure how I feel about this.

An outstation with no connections so no big deal? Now you get to try mint? Let Virgin America and Delta battle on price?

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 28, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm at $9k MQD with 50k MQM :D

In a taxi tonight, there was one of those ad things and it had a loop of like 2 minutes. There was a mute button on screen so I pushed it and BAM to control the audio you need to order the $7.95 'VIP' service.
Ugh Taxis.

gently caress pretty much any car driven by someone else. Rentals can go to hell too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

rentals own

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuber

So what do you guys use to find flights again? I here there's some special travel IATA related voodoo travel portal matrix.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuber

So what do you guys use to find flights again? I here there's some special travel IATA related voodoo travel portal matrix.

matrix.itasoftware.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

gently caress pretty much any car driven by someone else. Rentals can go to hell too.

That's why I travel exclusively by hoverboard, helicopter and personal teleporter.