Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Colonial Air Force posted:

It seemed really obvious to me, but then they're my team (and I hate their current name).

It probably doesn't help that they suck, so no one thinks about them at all.

Dude you have Mike Trout! Best player in the game!

Nothing like a sports final to make me feel superior. Someone please muzzle JOSH!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

zakharov posted:

Dude you have Mike Trout! Best player in the game!

And yet, we missed October entirely.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

Some people who knew him posted on the Jeopardy reddit that yelling is his normal tone of voice.

Yeah. I go to school with him. He tends to do that. I never knew he was a comedian. That explains all the jokes in his presentations.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

GhostStalker posted:

It was a really obvious one too, I got it almost immediately.

I guess none of them follow Neil deGrasse Tyson on Twitter.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how does nobody get that.

and how do third place people not know you aren't supposed to wager jack poo poo when the other two are way above you but close to each other.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Wow. I never expected to see this tiny place I live in being a clue on Jeopardy! (I live within walking distance of Squam Lake).

And yet, it was the only New Hampshire clue I got wrong. :(

E: OMG a literal neckbeard on Wheel of Fortune.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 21, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Never seen Alex react so much to a Final Jeopardy category reveal before, but I guess the contestant interview bit of one of the challengers about having a huge book collection about the Civil War was coincidental enough for him to say so. Too bad she didn't have a big enough lead and the question was easy enough for everyone to get it and for the champ to walk away with a pretty big payday, but not as much as Matt was pulling in game after game... The answer really is obvious if you think about it, and seeing as how all three contestants got it right, they thought so as well.

At least no one is bitching about how she had an advantage or something, though I guess some people would feel that way if she had won because of others missing Final. I guess Sullivan Compliance didn't think it was that much of an advantage for her if they didn't throw out that question, though I dunno if they have access to the contestant interview stories. They probably do, just to make sure that the game is fair and all that.

Really wish they would've gotten to the last question in the Hologram category in Double Jeopardy. Kinda wanted to see what it would be about. It seems to be too late to reference the Tupac hologram at Coachella that deep into the category as that would be an instant gimme clue when thinking about holograms to the average person, so I wonder if they would've referenced Crypton's Vocaloids, especially Hatsune Miku, and either her concerts employing hologram projection (maybe her New York and LA ones in October of last year or her numerous ones in Japan) or her appearance on Letterman a little more than a year ago just before that, or something like that. Yes, I went to that concert in New York last year and spent a tenth of my winnings for the ticket and merch there, what of it?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 23, 2015

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Another coincidental final category. There would definitely have been complaints if she won. Instead, the game went to the stoned white dude who flashed the Wu Tang sign after he won.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

"Alex, I'll take the herb for 200 heh heh"

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So I realize this may sound immature/crazy , but man, it really did sound like Alex was about to pronounce Balzac like Ballsack but caught himself. I had to rewind it a few times, but I swear he did.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Big True Daily Double bet near the end of Double Jeopardy today that did not pay off for our now former champ. Oh well.

At least one of the Final Jeopardy answers was funny and Alex called her on it. Calling liberals pansies... Nice.

Also, I found it a coincidence that that contestant works at NPR doing All Things Considered, and a contestant yesterday said in his interview segment that he loves listening to old time radio serials on an NPR broadcast in his area. Wonder if they talked about it in the Green Room when the contestants were getting to know one another...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 24, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Bleeding heart was a flower? Who knew?

I have to admire a ballsy DD bet, shame it did't pay off.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Does anybody know the longest run of single day champs in a row?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Tonight's FJ question was a joke, right?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That was classic "don't overthink it" clue.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

CPColin posted:

That was classic "don't overthink it" clue.

I admit, I overthought the clue. Wasn't paying that much attention to the show as I was unsuccessfully trying to split my attention between it and my computer and wasn't really thinking about it that hard, so I drew a blank.

Still, it looks like Sean might make the next ToC that starts in a week and a half, if the cutoff is right up to that game, especially if he wins another game tomorrow. Right now, according to the Jeopardy website's official ToC tracker, the person on the bubble looks to be Michael Bilow, who only won 3 games but has more money that Sean. He's already pushed the alternate at the end of that list, Darren Harris-fein, off, having won more money than him. Looks to be an interesting run up to the TOC this year...

Also, surprised that no one commented on Tom, who was at the rightmost podium yesterday. Apparently, the internet chattering classes thought that he was either hot, hilarious, or a douche for his expressions, reactions, seemingly staring out at a strange angle during Final (he was looking at the display above the camera that shows scores to the contestants), his sideways stance on the podium, and only answering "What" to Final Jeopardy (not knowing that Maggie tells you to write the "What/Who is" part of your response during the commercial break before you wager, in order to make sure you don't forget it, and it looks like Tom couldn't think of anything else during the 30 seconds). Looks like he fell apart during Double Jeopardy after he missed a couple of clues and never really recovered... Keith Williams of the Final Wager was decidedly upset at the NY Mag piece on it and others, apparently...

And dipping back to the Friday Final, with the NPR producer answering "pansy" for that Flowers clue apparently has conservative media congratulating her for that response when the video of Final divorced from context started making the rounds, eventually going viral. When the video was posted to Jeopardy's Facebook page, it quickly devolved into the usual partisan bickering you find anywhere that discusses politics. Apparently, people think she was trying to stick it to liberals or something, and don't realize she works for NPR? I dunno. All Things Considered ran a story with her yesterday too, where she tried to set the record straight, but some partisan hacks are still congratulating her for insulting liberals as if it was on purpose...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 28, 2015

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I loathed Tom.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was a 200 dollar clue

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

So I guess I spoke too soon regarding Sean making the ToC seeing as how he lost today. Not enough money to knock Michael Bilow out of the running either. Oh well.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 29, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Damien, you are literally the worst player.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"Maybe you should switch to the $200 clues instead" was the sickest burn ive heard from Alex in a while.

dude even got a boo hiss thrown his way

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Damien, you are literally the worst player.

I was embarrassed for this poor bastard.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

I was embarrassed for this poor bastard.

When Alex mentioned that he was in the stands and wrote down something after Final was revealed I half expected the camera to cut to him and he'd have a pen stabbed through his hand

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Damian lived my nightmare, to go through the whole audition process, get on, and crash. I felt so bad for the dude.

But come on! You could have at least played Final if you'd shut up on that last clue!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

Damian lived my nightmare, to go through the whole audition process, get on, and crash. I felt so bad for the dude.

But come on! You could have at least played Final if you'd shut up on that last clue!

Yeah, I felt bad for him too. Looks like he knew Final too, from what Alex was saying. Real shame of him to crash and burn so drat spectacularly there... Went seriously into the negatives on the first category in Jeopardy, and never quite recovered until right near the end of Double, then dropped back into the negatives again on the last clue...

zVxTeflon posted:

"Maybe you should switch to the $200 clues instead" was the sickest burn ive heard from Alex in a while.
That was pretty funny, and at least it got a laugh out of him as well.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 30, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
He did know the final, in the bit afterwards when Alex awkwardly stands on stage with the contestants which my husband always watches for some reason they had Damien and he held up his little Djibouti piece of paper.

That was painful to watch. Like seriously, STOP loving GUESSING poo poo

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HookShot posted:

He did know the final, in the bit afterwards when Alex awkwardly stands on stage with the contestants which my husband always watches for some reason they had Damien and he held up his little Djibouti piece of paper.

Oh, I guess I missed that tonight. Looks like he and I both got FJ immediately at least...

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

zakharov posted:

He's from Overland Park, KS too... the fact it was a local* guy made it way worse for me.

*Well, local as in "within reasonable driving distance." But I'm still counting it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ToC QF matchups are out. Any predictions for the tournament starting in a week?

Pretty sure Matt Jackson and Alex Jacob will be two of the finalists. Brendan or Greg as number 3?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Hoping Alex used his winnings to buy some shirts that fit.

Alex, Matt and Kristin to the finals imo

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Pretty sure Matt Jackson and Alex Jacob will be two of the finalists. Brendan or Greg as number 3?

Those are some great mouseover animations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

Hoping Alex used his winnings to buy some shirts that fit.

lmao tonight's episode

first how do you get that wrong.

second how do you wager like that.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 3, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Well that sure was a wager. I'm no math genius but I'm pretty sure a leader who's the only person to get FJ wrong should lose.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

GhostStalker posted:

Nice the crazy dancing bitch didnt make it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

Well that sure was a wager. I'm no math genius but I'm pretty sure a leader who's the only person to get FJ wrong should lose.

i don't know how people get on the show and still wager like that. i dunno how many times i've also seen third placers lose because they didn't just wager 0 when they were far behind.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I wonder if she just totally botched the math, because otherwise I can't figure out what she expected to happen.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Did Marcus seriously just talk about how handsome he is

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Marcus looks like he belongs on a poster for the Nazis.

Also the writers were obviously on crack today, the main character of the Blacklist is Raymond Reddington not Red Reddington (though his nickname is Red) and Labrador is not in north-eastern Canada, it's in eastern Canada :colbert:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

Did Marcus seriously just talk about how handsome he is

No? Did I miss something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

zakharov posted:

No? Did I miss something?

He said something like "nobody talks about you looking good" in his story about not wanting to have a dull story and for a second I thought the same thing as Soothing Vapors but it makes sense in context.