Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Night10194 posted:

The devs said this was the intent; they wanted some big setpiece levels and some 'lunchbreak' ones for quick games.

Is this by any chance what the frame around the map icons means? I notice that some maps have golden shields around them, while others have silver cogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

immortal flow posted:

Is this by any chance what the frame around the map icons means? I notice that some maps have golden shields around them, while others have silver cogs.

Yes, exactly. The silver ones also denote that the levels do not have tomes/grimoires.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Speaking of which, there really needs to be a way to get rid of oranges you don't want. Keeping with the design of the rest of the loot system, maybe just turn it into a random weapon of a lower quality.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Supposedly some kind of token system involving the Innkeep is coming for unwanted oranges.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I dont know posted:

They said that when they started development they had plans for bigger scope game, with more races and enemy types, but decided to narrow it down to skaven to focus development resources. In the AMA they heavily implied that chaos enemies are currently in the works. It sounds like they can do what they want so long as it doesn't directly contract lore.

This makes me very happy, good on them. This is a Good and Fun game.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My first max roll. Too bad it wasn't a hat.

They know the audience.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ded posted:

My first max roll. Too bad it wasn't a hat.

They know the audience.

I still say the loot rat should drop an item, or another grimoire die for the player who gets the killing blow. Alternatively let it drop to the floor and watch pubbies throw away games because they are mad they didn't get it. :kheldragar:

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

quote:

The game has only been out for a few days and some people are already swimming in epics.

The problem there is the "some" part.

I run with a few other people and we have played about 90% of our games together and are pretty close to the same level yet the gear discrepancy is all over the drat place. We have one guy running around with multiple oranges and full trinkets, some of us with a few blues and a trinket if we are lucky while some are struggling to even have that.

It really makes running as a group hard when one guy wants to hit the harder modes because he made out like a frigging bandit on the random rolls while others are still poking around with white quality weapons on the classes they like.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Having gone through 40+ runs my highest roll is 4 on the dice, this might feel a bit less painful is level ups gave me something other than whites.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

mirarant posted:

Having gone through 40+ runs my highest roll is 4 on the dice, this might feel a bit less painful is level ups gave me something other than whites.

You'll start getting greens eventually, around level 33 or so. Still doesnt change the fact that RNG loot is a load of lovely bunghole.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Calihan posted:

The problem there is the "some" part.

I run with a few other people and we have played about 90% of our games together and are pretty close to the same level yet the gear discrepancy is all over the drat place. We have one guy running around with multiple oranges and full trinkets, some of us with a few blues and a trinket if we are lucky while some are struggling to even have that.

It really makes running as a group hard when one guy wants to hit the harder modes because he made out like a frigging bandit on the random rolls while others are still poking around with white quality weapons on the classes they like.

Stop playing on normal and start playing on hard. You're pretty much guaranteed to get greens at the very least.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
There's really not much reason to play on Normal. Hard isn't much harder and has immensely better loot.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Holy poo poo you people were not kidding about Wheat and Chaff. I just tried it for the first time, and wiped three attempts in a row before I made it even halfway on the grain.

On Easy.

Is there anything obvious I am missing? The hordes literally never loving stop; Black Powder at least gives you some breathing room now and again, but W&C is neverending hordes, rogres, stormvermin, and specials, just constantly.

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008

mirarant posted:

are you only running silvers or something? If you get all tomes/grims with 2 loot dice, you have almost a 70% chance of rolling 5 or higher according to this https://www.reddit.com/r/Vermintide/comments/3qgcld/loot_probability_table/

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Backhand posted:

Holy poo poo you people were not kidding about Wheat and Chaff. I just tried it for the first time, and wiped three attempts in a row before I made it even halfway on the grain.

On Easy.

Is there anything obvious I am missing? The hordes literally never loving stop; Black Powder at least gives you some breathing room now and again, but W&C is neverending hordes, rogres, stormvermin, and specials, just constantly.

Nothing special about it, its simply over tuned. The devs themselves were all smug and "Its all about teamwork, thats all!" when they went into it, and after they wiped three minutes in they grumbled to themselves and noted that it might "need adjustment"

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

There's really not much reason to play on Normal. Hard isn't much harder and has immensely better loot.

We are. We wouldn't be having a chance at oranges otherwise.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

stanislaus posted:

are you only running silvers or something? If you get all tomes/grims with 2 loot dice, you have almost a 70% chance of rolling 5 or higher according to this https://www.reddit.com/r/Vermintide/comments/3qgcld/loot_probability_table/

Random levels on hard, no W&C though. Grinding out only tome levels or exploiting BP would bore me to tears.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Wheat and Chaff is super easy, just go as a team to each bag and back. Also if you are getting swarmed near the caravan just hide in the house with one person watching the door and a few up top.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
How is this game for PUGs? I'm pretty interested in playing it but most of my friends are content waiting for a sale before they consider it. Am I likely to hate myself and everyone else if I run with randos or is it fairly painless? Basically I guess how important is teamwork and can people being retarded ruin all chances of success.

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008

mirarant posted:

Random levels on hard, no W&C though. Grinding out only tome levels or exploiting BP would bore me to tears.

Well if the table I linked is even close to correct, running long levels without most of the tomes/grimes is basically pointless. Horn, enemy below, and engines of war are all not-bad long levels in terms of speed/difficulty and alternating between them hasn't gotten too repetitive yet.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Backhand posted:

On Easy.

Keep the bags moving, don't spend the whole time sitting there fighting off hordes as they just keep coming and you'll get ruined by a bad hook while the stormvermin are all in your face. Every few seconds the bags should be picked up and thrown, if you're not confident having one person doing it constantly while your team moves as a squad making sure they're protected. Basically you can fully finish the map in the time you'd spend fighting off the horde to 'safely' run one or two bags, and its only going to get harder the longer you wait so treat it as a real adrenaline surger rather than planning it out.

Always constantly pick up and throw too, never run with them. Its faster, you don't get a movement penalty when you're running to where it was thrown to, you can use your weapons for a swipe inbetween, and I've never seen them fall through the world so its safe.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RosaParksOfDip posted:

How is this game for PUGs? I'm pretty interested in playing it but most of my friends are content waiting for a sale before they consider it. Am I likely to hate myself and everyone else if I run with randos or is it fairly painless? Basically I guess how important is teamwork and can people being retarded ruin all chances of success.

Like L4D, Payday, and really any team based game, pubbies are a complete die roll that usually comes up terrible. We have a thriving goon presence in the game, though, so if you want to ditch your real friends and come play with greasy goons then you can get on CTS for some good times.

Anyways, communication is key, yes. Mumble can really make or break everything on the higher difficulties.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Late-night PUGs have been...alright. Though honestly I'm probably one of the bads that people here would bitch about because I can't stop taking damage. I think I'll have a handle on timing my hammer swings and dodges, and then I'll get shanked a few times and I'm down to no health whatsoever. I'm working on it. Also, I'm playing on normal because of the PUG aspect, and am going to bump it up to hard soon-ish.

e: Also, because I'm playing on easier difficulties, my threshold for acceptable pubbie tends more towards "are they chill y/n" and less "do they handle everything perfectly y/n" As long as they're not freaking out and yelling at people and are at least willing to listen to things like "hey, you...don't need to charge into Stormvermin patrols" , I'm going to be alright, because I just want to chill out, drink a beer, and kill some rats. Mostly. Some people are just too braindead even if they're nice.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 28, 2015

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Ravenfood posted:

Late-night PUGs have been...alright. Though honestly I'm probably one of the bads that people here would bitch about because I can't stop taking damage. I think I'll have a handle on timing my hammer swings and dodges, and then I'll get shanked a few times and I'm down to no health whatsoever. I'm working on it. Also, I'm playing on normal because of the PUG aspect, and am going to bump it up to hard soon-ish.

I've found that poor positioning is my number 1 cause of damage in this. If you can position yourself so that your allies can flank the rats or so that you are flanking rats that are after your allies you'll take a lot less damage in the long run. Sometimes you just wanna back off a bit with your attacks, defend and let your allies clean up from the sides.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah my metric for good PUGs is "Are they not insufferable pricks constantly bitching about stuff" and "Can they actually finish a mission?" No matter how chill they might be, if I'm constantly losing it's just not fun. And yeah most of my playtime would be an hour or two during the week at like... 10 pm pst.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Back to back, kill those rats

Corner, elf, save some health.

Bash them back, stop a scratch

Dodge a blow, evade your foe

Block the ogre or your life's over

For those who armor, headshot farmer

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
A lot of damage avoidance comes from always watching your own back. Turn around every now and then because i can promise you there will be a rat mid "run and stab" animation ready to shank you in the rear end. They aren't like L4D/2 zombies in that they holler like inbred hillbillies from a campy horror movie before they attack/when they chase you. They don't even have footsteps most of the time.

-Have eyes in your back.

-Bubble up if you get ambushed and create a chokepoint.

-Always keep a bomb in handy, there have been countless times a well thrown bomb has killed a hook rat dragging a companion off beyond the horde.

-Dont be shy with potions, the drat things are everywhere.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Backhand posted:

On Easy.

Be a dwarf and make sure at least one person on the team is good at 360nosk0ping Stormvermin while you stand between them and the horde spamming the shield charged attack

...that's how I did it (piggybacking on good players)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Wheat and Chaff is super easy, just go as a team to each bag and back. Also if you are getting swarmed near the caravan just hide in the house with one person watching the door and a few up top.

this is what they did when:

BombiTheZombie posted:

The devs themselves were all smug and "Its all about teamwork, thats all!" when they went into it, and after they wiped three minutes in they grumbled to themselves and noted that it might "need adjustment"

BombiTheZombie posted:

You'll start getting greens eventually, around level 33 or so. Still doesnt change the fact that RNG loot is a load of lovely bunghole.
ps you will never get a blue from leveling

levels are functionally worthless after level 10-15 or so, when you're getting a decent variety of white gear that you might otherwise lack a weapon class of

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pitdragon posted:

I've found that poor positioning is my number 1 cause of damage in this. If you can position yourself so that your allies can flank the rats or so that you are flanking rats that are after your allies you'll take a lot less damage in the long run. Sometimes you just wanna back off a bit with your attacks, defend and let your allies clean up from the sides.
Thanks. Some of it is things I've noticed in pubs is that nobody wants to stand still too much. Like, we'll be in an enclosed house with two entrances and the horde alarm goes off and they'll take off running out of the house. Why? Ugh. Or insist on coming over and hacking at the rats in front of me, which opens up holes everywhere else and then it turns into everyone just swinging madly in circles. I can handle almost everything in front of me, guys, just...let me. Oh well. Something to work on. Also, need to block more.

Does anyone else have an issue where they'll block, M1 to shove, release block, M1 again, and instead of swinging, they'll shove? I have to wait a long time after a shove before I can swing without shoving and its kind of irritating.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I dont know mind, Im a level off hitting 66 and putting that theory to the test

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ok, Dumb Question.

Does holding the charge on melee swings increase damage? Or is it full damage once its ready to release?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, Dumb Question.

Does holding the charge on melee swings increase damage? Or is it full damage once its ready to release?

I don't think we know for sure, but I believe holding the charge longer doesn't do anything except for BW staffs which gain AOE the longer you charge.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots

NightVis posted:

Be a dwarf and make sure at least one person on the team is good at 360nosk0ping Stormvermin while you stand between them and the horde spamming the shield charged attack

...that's how I did it (piggybacking on good players)

I am a dwarf, and 360noscoping everything with the handgun. My problem is that no matter how many times I roll, it all comes up whites and greens on hard. :(

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, Dumb Question.

The IGN interview in the OP implies that it at the very least increases damage in terms of area of effect, but that's as far as I know.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Ravenfood posted:

Does anyone else have an issue where they'll block, M1 to shove, release block, M1 again, and instead of swinging, they'll shove? I have to wait a long time after a shove before I can swing without shoving and its kind of irritating.

Happens to me all the time. I can only assume it's a latency issue, much like my inability to dodge stormvermin attacks. At least, I hope that's a latency issue.

I just ran Man the Ramparts and Smuggler's Run on hard with pubbies so my theory of using silver missions to pub is bearing fruit. I'm starting to build up a nice collection of greens.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, Dumb Question.

There is definately a windup period that you can interrupt to launch different attacks (you can see it best by doing dual swords and elf and watching where the swings are going) but once it hits the "hold" part of the animation it seems to not make a difference. I have nothing to back this up

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, Dumb Question.

It doesn't feel like holding the charge increases damage, seems like its a thing for prepping up charge attacks just before the enemy is within range.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'd like to thank some gentlegoons for teaching me to cheese Cata Black Powder. I was getting rather frustrated that I kept getting crossbows for Saltzpyre (who already had a rather nice blue brace of pistols) and not for Bardin (who still had whites so far), including an admittedly sexy orange crossbow. Then, on the very last run, I got an orange crossbow for Bardin. And of course Saltzpyre had no issue with donating his pile of crossbows to Bardin for salvaging needs.

So now on my dorf I have a crossbow that has 50% faster reloads, 13.5% chance to get a free bolt on kill, oh and has 30% more ammo (for 32 total shots). It's like having a semi-auto railgun.

Saltzpyre's crossbow is also sexy in a different way: Projectile has a chance to split, increased knockback and heal on kill. Oh and of course orange damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just got the game, dropped with some pugs as the dwarf, and had a blast despite having no idea what I was doing or of how basic mechanics worked. It took me three quarters of the first run to realise I could hold block and click attack for an AOE knockback which was godly once I figured it out. I didn't try any other weapons other than the default axe and shield but I felt tanky and enjoyed it once I got the hang of things. I assume the other weapons have different moves? Ran Horn of Magnus three times and got to be the sacrificial lamb for the horn encounter, as I understood it so that we wouldn't lose tomes if anyone died? It ended with me dying every time but I put up an okayish fight and it was fun. One dude in my party (who all seemed pretty competent and chill) told me to hold on this one ledge under the horn but the geometry seemed to be pushing me out, not sure if I was in the right spot or what but that attempt went badly.

Is there a good tutorial/rundown of mechanics and stuff somewhere? Something about how crafting and unlocks or whatever work would be awesome too. The game seems to be lacking a tutorial aside from in-game popup hints I barely had time to read while watching out for/killing skaven. I had no idea how to use dodge the entire time, being only vaguely aware it was a thing from seeing it mentioned on a load screen. Only just found it in the settings. That... might have been helpful.

Game owns but my first experience was as almost as confusing as it was fun.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 28, 2015

• Locked thread