Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

"And how does the Minister respond to my allegations that he is in fact a tiny little man who I could snap like a pencil?"

"A-at th-the end of th-the day, uh..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

(from twitter)

I WILL TAKE IT!

I will take the cup back to New Zealand

...though I do not know how to play.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm blazed as gently caress.

This was me last night, at my housewarming

I was NOT blazed, but intoxicated

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Did you play "nothing else matters" or whatever that song is called?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Te Arhoa actukkaty

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Hamilton is insanely good compared to the insufferable bullshit of Auckland.

Nah, all the insufferable bullshit moved to Hamilton years ago m8

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
For people who follow these things more closely than I do, has the NZ Labour party ever made any kind of statement about human rights abuses in either the Nauru or Christmas Island detention/processing centres prior to the news that NZ citizens were being detained there? Because Kelvin Davis heading off to Christmas island and then describing it as 'a Kiwi Alcatraz' is some of the biggest crocodile tears bullshit I have seen.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

For people who follow these things more closely than I do, has the NZ Labour party ever made any kind of statement about human rights abuses in either the Nauru or Christmas Island detention/processing centres prior to the news that NZ citizens were being detained there? Because Kelvin Davis heading off to Christmas island and then describing it as 'a Kiwi Alcatraz' is some of the biggest crocodile tears bullshit I have seen.

idk about a statement but Shearer has been hard on it for ages. Not saying it isn't opportunistic for them to be jumping on this now basically just because there's more media coverage, but its certainly been an issue for them.

In general Shearer is really great on foreign policy stuff.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Yeah, I've only ever heard stuff from individual MPs. They probably don't want to rock the boat with the Australian Labor Party :/

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

This was me last night, at my housewarming

I was NOT blazed, but intoxicated

Thankyou for holding a party to celebrate my wedding at the same time as what I was getting married :) :peanut:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

P.S. your hat looks like a ripening jalapeno

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Gratz on that etc.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

Thankyou for holding a party to celebrate my wedding at the same time as what I was getting married :) :peanut:

did you get married? drat! congratulations dude. I am pleased for you.

Tell me, have you ever thought of chatting up and sleeping with other women

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Give it 7 years

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Gratz on that etc.
:peanut:

echinopsis posted:

did you get married? drat! congratulations dude. I am pleased for you.

one keeps me busy enough!!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

He's probably about the right age to have been a vanilla ice fan

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

echinopsis posted:

what's up with all the people being into this also being software engineers or burlesque enthusiasts?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

I'm the women trapped behind him trying to get away.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A human heart posted:

what's up with all the people being into this also being software engineers or burlesque enthusiasts?

I only know of burlesque performers

bobbilljim posted:

:peanut:

one keeps me busy enough!!

hehe it was a joke man. Stay monog for like a decade then the boning can begin

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The "recycling" here in the Tron won't take pizza boxes.

Not just ones from Dominos, but THE FUCKI G OVEN PIZZA BOXES THAT NEVER COME IN CONTACT WITH RAW PIZZA EVER.

they will literally only take bottles and (some) cans

It's loving rediculious.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, so that's why the fleet of "recycling" trucks was parked at the tip last time I was there

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

So is city council recycling just not being recycled, or what?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

A human heart posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

It all just ends up in the tip.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I carefully separate all my recyclables and put them in the correct bins in the correct manner.

Everyone else in my building just dumps their trash in whatever bin they feel like and then when it gets to the recycling depot they mark it as contaminated and ship it to landfill because otherwise they lose money due to the wonderful world of publicly funded private business.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How are those figures arrived at? Were the council just like "welp, ya got us, we were just tossing all those cans out the back!" or what? It doesn't really make sense.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

A human heart posted:

IIRC they have serious contamination problems, what with people not being bothered to put the right things in the right bins. Some of the stuff you put in your recycling bin goes to landfill - I'm not certain how much.
Green waste /composting is another issue - they sometimes have trouble finding commercial buyers for the compost because the buyers are concerned about other rubbish contaminating the green waste - for example, in otago the big consortium potato growers won't buy the council green waste because someone once found a shard of glass in a mcdonalds chip and they reckon that might happen if they buy council compost. This greatly undermines the whole green waste composting idea.
Well, that and people putting anything from whole trees to dead horses in their green waste bin.

quote:

How are those figures arrived at? Were the council just like "welp, ya got us, we were just tossing all those cans out the back!" or what? It doesn't really make sense.
Probably. Pretty much all that sort of information is available to whoever does an official information act request to the council.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
My high school got recycling bins for like, a month because everybody just put rubbish in them

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Everyone else in my building just dumps their trash in whatever bin they feel like and then when it gets to the recycling depot they mark it as contaminated and ship it to landfill because otherwise they lose money due to the wonderful world of publicly funded private business.

round here bins don't get taken if they have general rubbish in them and you get a little note on the bin telling you why it wasn't collected, I guess some stuff still slips through though.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The graph uses data from 2013, for what it's worth

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Also, this is completely unbacked, but I'm pretty sure after having a yarn with the local tip manager, the reason we show as landfill 100% (or near enough) to is because we dont do any recycling ourselves. All recycling rubbish is dealt with in other countries. So yea, our landfilling is the only thing that goes on in NZ, but its sure not the only place our rubbish ends up.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im down with landfill

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
There is a lot of rubbish surrounding the perception of recycling.

An Australian company is actually responsible for a good chunk of the Auckland council recycling contracts. I guess nobody ever thinks about it in this way, but the recycling business is actually extremely competitive. Think about the logistics of it, someone has to come to your door, pickup a bin of unsorted trash, spend ridiculous amounts of money on advanced sorting technology, then create a finished product that is good enough to charge money for (and be profitable).

Not sure how the data is wrangled to make up that chart, but it may have something to do with the fact that the end result of recycling in NZ is a product (packaging materials) that get sent overseas to international buyers.

Also fun fact: Those special "All Black" Anchor bottles are ridiculously difficult to recycle. Practically all sorting technology have an impossible time with black so they literally have people picking out those bottles by hand. No surprise that a campaign meant to inspire national pride is a loving disaster for our environment.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Xik posted:

There is a lot of rubbish surrounding the perception of recycling.

An Australian company is actually responsible for a good chunk of the Auckland council recycling contracts. I guess nobody ever thinks about it in this way, but the recycling business is actually extremely competitive. Think about the logistics of it, someone has to come to your door, pickup a bin of unsorted trash, spend ridiculous amounts of money on advanced sorting technology, then create a finished product that is good enough to charge money for (and be profitable).

Not sure how the data is wrangled to make up that chart, but it may have something to do with the fact that the end result of recycling in NZ is a product (packaging materials) that get sent overseas to international buyers.

Also fun fact: Those special "All Black" Anchor bottles are ridiculously difficult to recycle. Practically all sorting technology have an impossible time with black so they literally have people picking out those bottles by hand. No surprise that a campaign meant to inspire national pride is a loving disaster for our environment.

I dislike those bottles because they make the milk section of the supermarket look like a petrol station. It's like they were designed to look like motor oil!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A human heart posted:

round here bins don't get taken if they have general rubbish in them and you get a little note on the bin telling you why it wasn't collected, I guess some stuff still slips through though.
I live in an apartment complex in Auckland city, so if anybody actually puts that note on the bins i can guarantee where it ends up.

It's the bin it's attached to.

The posted recycling instructions used to have a sharpie note of "you dumbasses" at the end of it because even if people put recycling in the recycling bin it was always in a plastic bag despite that being #1 on the don't list.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The Human Rights Tribunal has dismissed a private claim that Prime Minister John Key violated a waitress' rights when he pulled her hair.

Cool, good to know getting cornered and mollested by the prime minister over multiple days isn't a violation of your rights.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

clearly it is a privilege to be assaulted by the PM Mr Jonno Keys

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emminou
May 25, 2006