Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Shot of a PC-98 looking product (640x400, 16 colours onscreen out of 4096)

What is draw order? What is correct scale? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Something about the shape of that room makes me think of an X-COM UFO.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

In speaking of X-COM, the soundtrack is AdLib card (YM3812 chip) + effects and drum machines, so it's like it in that way too I guess.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Zaphod42 posted:

Gamasutra has a really good writeup on why the FFV HD remake is poo poo and how you can do sprite art HD remakes that aren't poo poo

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20150929/254782/Doing_an_HD_Remake_the_Right_Way.php

Worth a read for sure.

Thanks for posting, that was really insightful, particularly as I'm starting preliminary planning for a Slam Fighter redo.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

When you go behind walls, Amihailu goes "transparent" in a way that maintains the 16-colour limitation:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Noyemi K posted:

When you go behind walls, Amihailu goes "transparent" in a way that maintains the 16-colour limitation:

That's very clever. I love your dithers by the way. I haven't got the patience to do them.

Untimely Brigand
Mar 28, 2007

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Tried redoing a load of the units, tried doing a bigger version as well. The torso is giving the most trouble right now, although i feel i've made some progress in the drawing front with that body part at least.

While your costume design seems on point, you're just slapping different skins on two disfigured bodies doing the same pose. It also looks like you're attempting to design the body piece-by-piece as opposed to working from a "skeleton" and working outward, which can explain why things are off. You would be far better off quickly drawing, in whatever medium, 40 different bodies in 40 different poses than 40 costumes split between two bodies.

A quick google search yields: http://learn-drawing.blogspot.com/p/human-body.html

The picture at the very bottom of that post is a good example of how you can practice different poses from reference material--and even just doing the first two steps would be of great benefit to you.

I'm certain there are tons of better resources online, as well as in whatever class you're taking. Aim for growth through drawing a poo poo load of pictures.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Scut posted:

That's very clever. I love your dithers by the way. I haven't got the patience to do them.

Hah, hearing good things from you has always been a dream.

Unfortunately, for this game there won't be that much animation, at least for starters. I might have special states where there is some kind of animation going on, or fun gib animations for enemies (Amihailu's melee attack is her fists), but as the combat is rogue-like, well...!

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Has anyone ever used Sprite Something or any other iPhone sprite editor? The idea of a touch based sprite editor sounds good, and I spend about 2-5 hours on public transit so I'd rather use my phone than laptop, but not if this particular app sucks or if there's a worth while goon made alternative.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I had Sprite Something on my ipad but found it was not great for sprites larger than 16 or 32 pixels. I haven't researched alternatives in a long time. If anyone knows a good editor for Android I'd like to know.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I like Pixly, but I only use it to dick around and never finish anything.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I'll just bite the bullet and try out Sprite Something on iOS then report back in a few weeks.

At the very least this will motivate me to sprite harder to figure out if the app is worth it or not.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Been super frustrated with some other work lately so I've been messing about with fun 4 colour palettes

Also I'm doing Drawlloween

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Gamasutra has a really good writeup on why the FFV HD remake is poo poo and how you can do sprite art HD remakes that aren't poo poo

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20150929/254782/Doing_an_HD_Remake_the_Right_Way.php

Worth a read for sure.

The sad thing is, the FFV remake is astonishingly good and fitting to the original when compared to the FFVI remake. Good lord but that was horrific.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
Menu stuff...

I really need to finish this update.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

That map screen is Wario Land as gently caress and I love it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Can't stop wont stop

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 18, 2019

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Does menu/UI stuff count as pixel art? I have the menus drawn in such a way as to mimic games like Farland Story, with tiling instead of stretching to preserve the pixel-level detail of the UI window design:

Pik
Jan 22, 2015
Asymmetric RPG sprites are good practice. Kinda messy, but it was just for kicks.

@McFunkerson
I'd be interested actually, maybe once my current commission set passes.

Pik fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 5, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Pik posted:

Asymmetric RPG sprites are good practice. Kinda messy, but it was just for kicks.

Love it

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Also, Pik, how many different colors are you using there?

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 18, 2019

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pik posted:

Very nice! I think you could even discard some of the midtones and it would read perfectly well, if you were aiming for low-spec.

Pik
Jan 22, 2015
Yeah, there's 19 colors on that bad boy, minus the shadow color. Been doing a lot of SNES limit sprites recently, so I thought I'd do a less-limited modern sprite for a change.
I'll be the first to admit that skin highlight is totally unnecessary, but what can I say

McFunkerson posted:

Nice work. When you have the time drop me a pm or email (added in the SA Mart thread). I'd love to talk you about it.
Awesome. I'll hit you up whenever I'm free!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 9, 2015

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Just a few things I've been working on

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Hard to distinguish between sprites & the ground in this one

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Coldrice I love the variety in those pieces you posted.

Exclamation Marx is that Dracula done in a challenge palette?

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

messed with pixel art last night & remembered this thread exists. Mad fun catching up on the thread after not posting in ages! >: - D

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

More Mario crap!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Did some pixeling for an 8 hour game jam today, this was the outcome:

Details:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

Can't stop wont stop

I went and redid this!

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So, I'm doing a small game project and thus I was drawing some really bad sprites :D
Like this placeholder/programmer art/abomination

I am quite artistically challenged, but I was wondering how people do stuff like this:

I mean the whole backdrop. Is there any good ways to save time or is a gruesome pixel per pixel affair with every single new screen?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Sistergodiva posted:

So, I'm doing a small game project and thus I was drawing some really bad sprites :D

I am quite artistically challenged, but I was wondering how people do stuff like this:

I mean the whole backdrop. Is there any good ways to save time or is a gruesome pixel per pixel affair with every single new screen?
Those kind of backgrounds were usually drawn on actual paper and then scanned/traced/tweaked for the game.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

_jink posted:

messed with pixel art last night & remembered this thread exists. Mad fun catching up on the thread after not posting in ages! >: - D

More please

Shoehead posted:

I went and redid this!

drat, son! Your lighting has gotten a lot better in the past year.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sistergodiva posted:

Thusly:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Sistergodiva posted:

In addition to what others said, your example is most likely made with DPaint, which is how it has so many really really uniform dithering gradients. Dan Fessler's index painting tool is pretty much a better way of doing the same thing: http://danfessler.com/blog/hd-index-painting-in-photoshop

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Finished this just ten minutes ago:

I'm getting a bit quicker at this! :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Oh, thanks! I should have remembered those original drawings from the special edition.

So, not being able to draw for poo poo, is there any way to cheat? I don't really care for results as much as having placeholder art that still is more than dummy images.

I guess I could whip something up in Illustrator and convert it somehow.